ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s Be Realistic

RU677381

Sophomore
Apr 21, 2010
All of this talk about a contract extension for Greg is way premature. No one would argue with the fact that the team is far better than it has been over the past several years. No one would argue with the fact that the coaching staff is far improved over any staff we have had over the past several years. That being said:

1. We have not beaten any team with a winning record;
2. The teams we have beaten have a record of 2 wins and 11 losses against Power 5 teams;
3. We have yet to play a team with a winning record, and the remaining 4 teams on our schedule
all have winning records.

Let’s wait until the season is over before jumping on the contract extension bandwagon!

Loop Trump GIF

All of this talk about a contract extension for Greg is way premature. No one would argue with the fact that the team is far better than it has been over the past several years. No one would argue with the fact that the coaching staff is far improved over any staff we have had over the past several years. That being said:

2. The teams we have beaten have a record of 2 wins and 11 losses against Power 5 teams;
3. We have yet to play a team with a winning record, and the remaining 4 teams on our schedule

Let’s wait until the season is over before jumping on the contract extension bandwagon!
“ We have not played a team with a winning record”… We have played Michigan , Wisconsin both with winning records…

Where are you getting your data from? Virginia Tech is 2-2 vs other power conference teams. And we know NW beat Minnesota. Michigan State’s worst loss is to Maryland. They would have a winning record in the ACC. Indiana stinks.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Michigan has won like 20 straight games in conference . Really michigan? Indiana last beat OSU in 1987.

Last edited:
“ We have not played a team with a winning record”… We have played Michigan , Wisconsin both with winning records…
And we lost to both teams. I'm sure he meant to say we have not beaten a team with a winning record.

And we lost to both teams. I'm sure he meant to say we have not beaten a team with a winning record.

Not to be pedantic but he already said that in #1 on his list in case you bothered to read the OP. I don't think we should give Greg an extension but its because he still has 4 more years.

Greg needs to beat Michigan, PSU, or OSU before we talk extensions this early.
PSU is always ranked in the top 25 and has not been able to beat those two teams. Those two teams are in the top seven almost every year. Shiano has to beat them in 4 yrs to prove he has the program on the right track? A lot of football fans in general are completely delusional and out of touch with reality.

For the cheap people give him a lifetime performance contract

No buyout either way
6 million base salary
500k per win
500k for making bowl game
500k for making playoff
500k for playoff game win
500k for making conference championship game
500k for winning conference championship game

That way if he performs way above expectations he will get paid towards the top of the conference and if not, he will get paid in the middle of the pack.

Why not? His post is nonsense. GS absolutely deserves an extension.
Well, here is where you and I diverge and I find myself agreeing with people who I disagree with a fair amount. That does not make us right and you wrong. We just have a difference of opinion. And that certainly does not make us haters or whiners. I've made my points on this in other threads.

I will never understand the herd mentality, particularly when we have seen so many teams foolishly lavish coaches with extensions and contracts only to see it blow up in their face. And I will say I love what Greg is doing, and I like him a lot as our coach and as a person. He is great all around. But as Meat Loaf sang- 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Check back with me at the end of the season, I may feel different.

Well, here is where you and I diverge and I find myself agreeing with people who I disagree with a fair amount. That does not make us right and you wrong. We just have a difference of opinion. And that certainly does not make us haters or whiners. I've made my points on this in other threads.

I will never understand the herd mentality, particularly when we have seen so many teams foolishly lavish coaches with extensions and contracts only to see it blow up in their face. And I will say I love what Greg is doing, and I like him a lot as our coach and as a person. He is great all around. But as Meat Loaf sang- 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

To me the extension is less about salary/years but more to show investment in the program. Show recruits that Rutgers is fully committed to winning football and attracting and retaining better assistants so we can continue to climb.

Read the post. We have not “beaten” a team with a winning record. Beaten is not the same as played in my world.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Greg was so bad last year and underdelivered. He needs to give money back!

only a fool, an absolute fool, gives greg and extension with 4yrs left coming off a year where he demonstrated staggeringly bad coaching. We've beaten no one of consequence this year, BIG is down, have terrible qb situation and are one dimensional at best.

Let’s be realistic. There is no need to extend him this year. If he had 2 years left, well, this season may have bought him an extension by why would we do it right now.
That is the only reason. To be a dope and downplay who we have beaten. You guys realize that prior to this season, we used to beat no f-ing one.

Let’s be realistic. There is no need to extend him this year. If he had 2 years left, well, this season may have bought him an extension by why would we do it right now.
That is the only reason. To be a dope and downplay who we have beaten. You guys realize that prior to this season, we used to beat no f-ing one.
he's expected to beat these teams as that is what we pay him for. He's paid to do a job, no different than anyone else. Last year he absolutely sucked, was just awful and we should have won at least 2 more games. He's benefited by turmoil and down year. Glad we are winning but he's doing what he is paid to do.

Now if he beats psu or osu then I'll believe we're 'different' this year.

he's expected to beat these teams as that is what we pay him for. He's paid to do a job, no different than anyone else. Last year he absolutely sucked, was just awful and we should have won at least 2 more games. He's benefited by turmoil and down year. Glad we are winning but he's doing what he is paid to do.

Now if he beats psu or osu then I'll believe we're 'different' this year.
Yeah but see Plum’s post. Past 40 years. It’s him or dog$hit… it’s not simply his job when have been unsuccessful plugging anyone else in.

Yeah but see Plum’s post. Past 40 years. It’s him or dog$hit… it’s not simply his job when have been unsuccessful plugging anyone else in.
we've only had him, Flood and Ash since making a concerted effort to actually compete in football. Ash was a huge mistake, many of us said so but 1 bad hire doesn't make a case. Flood won the BE title and almost beat a legit VaTech team in the Gator Bowl. If RU didn't try to do things on the cheap, results might be different.

• Haha
Reactions: fsg2 and RUScrew85

Standby to be pilloried for not fully embracing the Pollyanna's program. Good luck.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
PSU is always ranked in the top 25 and has not been able to beat those two teams. Those two teams are in the top seven almost every year. Shiano has to beat them in 4 yrs to prove he has the program on the right track? A lot of football fans in general are completely delusional and out of touch with reality.

You misunderstood the post.

Reactions: RUTGERS95

And - it’s not like these coaches are still only making $1 million per year anymore. Firing a coach and paying off a multi year contract at 6-7 million per year while taking on a new one for the new coach could be crippling for the AD and I’d guess has to contribute to donor fatigue.

Reactions: Knight Shift
And - it’s not like these coaches are still only making $1 million per year anymore. Firing a coach and paying off a multi year contract at 6-7 million per year while taking on a new one for the new coach could be crippling for the AD and I’d guess has to contribute to donor fatigue.
Gotta love selective memory. You think coaching salaries are expensive? What about the incompetence we experienced from 2015 till 2019? That was more expensive than anything else, especially considering the revenue which was lost during those years.

Schiano isn’t ever getting fired and is the best football coach Rutgers is capable of getting. He’s coached here 15 years and has proven time and time again to be up to the task, and has a strong track record of achievement.

This is his greatest coaching job yet, and he’s built a competitive, disciplined team in the most difficult conference in America. Despite lacking the resources of better programs, most notably a Fieldhouse and NIL. He’s built the program from nothing to something, despite the naysayers making it more difficult to recruit.

He knows the secret recipe needed to be successful here, and has employed the correct strategies to realize it. Losing Schiano would be more crippling than anything else, and this is proven by experience, where we went from a full stadium to an empty stadium, in a matter of years. We don’t have that many donors to worry about donor fatigue, let alone worrying about the prospect of a donor paying for a buyout, because it isn’t ever going to happen.

Last edited:

He is going to be extended no matter what happens the rest of the season. That is how this stuff works, coaches need at least four years remaining to avoid negative recruiting. Hobbs has two options : 1. Announce it now after clinching a bowl berth. 2. Do it after the season when it's possible the team has lost four straight. Either way it is happening.

What GS may or may not "deserve" (a totally subjective concept) is irrelevant. In life, you don't get what you deserve. You get what you negotiate.

His successes at RU aside, is Schiano in any kind of bargaining position to secure an extension? If not, is there any reason why Hobbs would feel compelled to offer him one?

He is going to be extended no matter what happens the rest of the season. That is how this stuff works, coaches need at least four years remaining to avoid negative recruiting. Hobbs has two options : 1. Announce it now after clinching a bowl berth. 2. Do it after the season when it's possible the team has lost four straight. Either way it is happening.
Someone gets it.

He has four years left after this. By your logic, he does NOT need to be extended yet.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
The point i’m making is that if you want to have a serious discussion TODAY about extending a guy with 4 years left on his contract he would need to prove he can beat one of those three to even get the discussion started.

How about Greg beats a team or two with a winning record before we start throwing million$ more his way.
How often has this happened in the last 4 years ? The next 4 games will be very telling on how our team has developed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT