ADVERTISEMENT

American Stock Transfer & Trust... legit?

JMORC2003

All Conference
Dec 22, 2008
My wife got a letter from the American Stock Transfer & Trust Company about being a "lost" shareholder for some Krispy Kreme stock, and asking her to update her contact info. Seems fishy... is it legit? Asking around before we do anything.

Contact the company directly at tel:718-921-8200.

Per Bloomberg:
American Stock Transfer & Trust Company, LLC provides stock transfer and employee plan services to public companies in the United States and internationally. It offers transfer agent services that include transfer agency and registrar, investment plan, closed-end mutual fund, disbursement agent, initial public offering, and shareholder services; corporate action and reorganization administration services, such as tender, paying agent, exchange agent, subscriptions, divestitures, and trustee services; and proxy and annual meeting services. The company also provides employee plan services, including stock option plans, restricted stock awards and units, performance awards, employee stock purchase plans, FAS 123 (R)/ASC 718 reporting, stock appreciation rights, and share save/SAYE; asset recovery services, which comprise escheatment and unclaimed property, lost shareholder searches, post-merger cleanups, odd-lot programs, and shareholder communications; and mutual fund proxy services. In addition, it offers investment management and debt services; ownership intelligence services that include capital markets consulting, credit markets intelligence, tax audit studies, and regulatory compliance; and communication and print services, including document creation and management, EDGAR filing, graphics and design, variable imaging and data technologies, document delivery platforms, and mutual to stock data processing and print services. Further, the company offers mutual-to-stock conversion services. Its clients range from initial public offerings to Fortune 100 companies. The company was founded in 1971 and is based in Brooklyn, New York. It has presence in Australia, Canada, India, New Zealand, South Africa, Hong Kong, and the United Kingdom. American Stock Transfer & Trust Company, LLC operates as a subsidiary of Link Market Services Limited.

They are one of the biggest stock transfer agents in the U.S. Make sure to contact them directly ASAP. if the shares are escheated to the state, it will be a hassle and cost to get them back. Since all the states are financially strapped, they want any lost funds/securities ASAP now. I think the timeframe used to be 7 years and now it's generally 3.

My wife got a letter from the American Stock Transfer & Trust Company about being a "lost" shareholder for some Krispy Kreme stock, and asking her to update her contact info. Seems fishy... is it legit? Asking around before we do anything.

American Stock Transfer & Trust is a real company that manages stock ownership for a lot of corporations. But that doesn't mean the communication that your wife received is legit (and not a phishing forgery.) Does she own Krispy Kreme stock? She can Google American Stock Transfer and contact them directly to see if the communication is legit.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
As others have said, contact AST directly using the contact info on their website to ask if the communication is real. I've dealt with them for clients many times. I have never, ever heard of AST contacting a shareholder concerning lost stock. Usually I am dealing with them to try to jump through all of the necessary hoops they require to get lost stock transferred to heirs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT