An Admission/Confession

Goku

All American
Jul 25, 2001
I didn't watch Selection Sunday
I didn't fill out a bracket
I haven't watch a single NCAA game for longer than 5 minutes
I haven't watched more than 15 minutes of the tournament

I'm 45yo, and I've never been this disengaged with the NCCA tournament in decades. I think it's a combination of things.

1. The 2020-2022 tournament runs gave me the taste of Rutgers in the dance, and I know there were going to be years where Pike's squad wouldn't make it, but I was hoping for more than just 2 straight appearances (call me spoiled)
2. The 2023 collapse and seeing the last veterans of this "dynasty" fall short and then meekly fade away after one NIT game that nobody cared about. Just a lame, disappointing sendoff for them.
3. My dislike for this 2024 team and how the roster was stale with players I didn't care to see any more, and full of younger players who were so damn bad at shooting and finishing at the rim
4. I just want this season to be officially over. I just want to focus on the 2024-2025 team and the hope and excitement it will bring us.

I'm just making this post as a confession, hoping that I'm not alone in this Point of View.

Here's what you've missed: They cannot say "Cam Spenser" without saying "Rutgers transfer Cam Spenser." You've also missed some competitive basketball played at the highest levels with excellent coaches trying to figure it out on the fly. NC State was a fun team to follow. The portal ruins the continuity. It seems like some players are auditioning for their next college gig and chasing the NIL$ instead of glory. It is still the best tournament/playoff in sport.

agree with a lot of your post.
I have been watching Purdue and UConn because of Cam.
Watching Cam and UConn make me more disappointed and causes me a greater dislike for the 2024 team.
Cam was an instrumental part of this run to the final game.
The commentary around UConn offense makes me understand how the Rutgers coaching staff truly blew it, especially with regards to what Hurley set out to do offensively 2-3 years ago going from a defensive heavy model to strategically offensively game planning. Outworking the competition.
Makes you wonder what other coaches do during the offseason while he was out working. Cam would have been a fool to stay at Rutgers. He saw the difference in what the 2 coaching staffs were doing.

I didn't watch Selection Sunday
I didn't fill out a bracket
I haven't watch a single NCAA game for longer than 5 minutes
I haven't watched more than 15 minutes of the tournament

I'm 45yo, and I've never been this disengaged with the NCCA tournament in decades. I think it's a combination of things.

1. The 2020-2022 tournament runs gave me the taste of Rutgers in the dance, and I know there were going to be years where Pike's squad wouldn't make it, but I was hoping for more than just 2 straight appearances (call me spoiled)
2. The 2023 collapse and seeing the last veterans of this "dynasty" fall short and then meekly fade away after one NIT game that nobody cared about. Just a lame, disappointing sendoff for them.
3. My dislike for this 2024 team and how the roster was stale with players I didn't care to see any more, and full of younger players who were so damn bad at shooting and finishing at the rim
4. I just want this season to be officially over. I just want to focus on the 2024-2025 team and the hope and excitement it will bring us.

I'm just making this post as a confession, hoping that I'm not alone in this Point of View.
Haven't watched 1 minute of any tournament game.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Colin cowherd had some interesting points on the college game and continuity related to Nil
He pointed out how the Women’s game is getting more viewership because of continuity related to Iowa and C Clark being at Iowa for 4years
The game needs to be honored, what’s going on on the Men’s side is destroying the game.

Watching Cam and UConn make me more disappointed and causes me a greater dislike for the 2024 team.
The commentary around UConn offense makes me understand how the Rutgers coaching staff truly blew it, especially with regards to what Hurley set out to do offensively 2-3 years ago going from a defensive heavy model to strategically offensively game planning. Outworking the competition.
Makes you wonder what other coaches do during the offseason while he was out working. Cam would have been a fool to stay at Rutgers. He saw the difference in what the 2 coaching staffs were doing.
Cam's stats are nearly identical to his year here. The only thing that went up considerably is his assists which is just as likely to be because his teammates make shots as due to any offensive scheme.

Cam's stats are nearly identical to his year here. The only thing that went up considerably is his assists which is just as likely to be because his teammates make shots as due to any offensive scheme.
Did you watch yesterdays game?
His intangibles are off the charts, the 4 minute stretch where he was in in every play both sides of the court UConn extended its lead he raised the level of the entire team in the game defining stretch.

That’s not what Jay Wright said, or the color commentator who did his research on how hard Hurley worked and studied offense

Last edited:
Did you watch yesterdays game?
His intangibles are off the charts, the 4 minute stretch where he was in in every play both sides of the court UConn extended its lead he raised the level of the entire team in the game defining stretch.
Did you ever watch a game at Rutgers? It was the same thing. He had just as many steal as Caleb when here that year.

You should go find a new team to root for as your disdain for Pike and Rutgers is clear. No one will miss you here

Another reason I can't watch is Cam, and because Uconn is contending for a repeat. I hate how that school has so much more success than we have had in all sports.

My recurring thought watching the games is that the UCLA, Duke, North Carolina, and Georgetown teams of years ago would destroy the current teams vying for recent NCAA titles.

Did you ever watch a game at Rutgers? It was the same thing. He had just as many steal as Caleb when here that year.

You should go find a new team to root for as your disdain for Pike and Rutgers is clear. No one will miss you here
You don’t get to decide that.
You don’t own this board.
I will continue to post the truth.
I am a Rutgersfan
Pike did a bad job over the last 1.5 years. Just Because I call that out and recognize greatness elsewhere that should be expected at Rutgers, not excused.
Doesn’t equal disdain, I will practice my fandom the way I want.
I hope Pike coaches to the level of Hurly next year that would be great. That’s what I am rooting for.
This board has an ignore feature I suggest you use it.

Last edited:
Here's what you've missed: They cannot say "Cam Spenser" without saying "Rutgers transfer Cam Spenser." You've also missed some competitive basketball played at the highest levels with excellent coaches trying to figure it out on the fly. NC State was a fun team to follow. The portal ruins the continuity. It seems like some players are auditioning for their next college gig and chasing the NIL$ instead of glory. It is still the best tournament/playoff in sport.
I don’t view “Rutgers transfer Cam…” as a compliment. I see it as an insult.

Another reason I can't watch is Cam, and because Uconn is contending for a repeat. I hate how that school has so much more success than we have had in all sports.
Their football team is a behemoth

Credit goes to Hurley for the roster he put together. Sure he's a good coach but its unfair to say Cam is better under Hurley because of coaching. Cam is still Cam, just surrounded by a better team. Cam would excel on any well rounded roster. Rich tradition at UConn and Hurley's recruiting is why Cam is standing out. You can't blame Pike for that.

Yes, UCONN is better than Rutgers… and every other college basketball team over the last couple of decades. You nailed it. Maybe it’s being a Collin Cowherd listener than makes you so informed.
And I feel a big part of that success is only having 3 coaches over the last 38 years. Pike deserves to be here, and we want him here. But I think what socaldave and many others are saying is “is it too much to want him to self evaluate and make necessary adjustments”? Recruiting the last four years, fixed big time with 24-25, can we keep that momentum. Use of the portal, we shall see shortly. The way the team quit the last two years. Changing from a rock fight to a dynamic offense. Pike is a man of great character who runs a solid program. But there’s nothing wrong with looking in the mirror and making necessary changes.

And I feel a big part of that success is only having 3 coaches over the last 38 years. Pike deserves to be here, and we want him here. But I think what socaldave and many others are saying is “is it too much to want him to self evaluate and make necessary adjustments”? Recruiting the last four years, fixed big time with 24-25, can we keep that momentum. Use of the portal, we shall see shortly. The way the team quit the last two years. Changing from a rock fight to a dynamic offense. Pike is a man of great character who runs a solid program. But there’s nothing wrong with looking in the mirror and making necessary changes.
Agreed well said

Credit goes to Hurley for the roster he put together. Sure he's a good coach but it’s unfair to say Cam is better under Hurley because of coaching. Cam is still Cam, just surrounded by a better team. Cam would excel on any well rounded roster. Rich tradition at UConn and Hurley's recruiting is why Cam is standing out. You can't blame Pike for that.
I would be curious how Cam would answer Did Hurley make him better?
This offense is Taylor made for Cam High IQ, Great offense efficiency, lastly high energy constant movement on offense, Pike wasn’t offering that. Without him being able to move and separate himself with his relentless movement on O he is not being considered as a potential NBA player.
Which is now being discussed

Was waiting for your response, love the emoji response. I will now follow my own advice and use my ignore feature.

This is fair, and I believe Pike will adjust. He's no dummy. We're at a tipping point, and how well he adjusts remains to be seen.

If you were to disect Cam as a player and look at the influence of playing for Rutgers and UCONN i’ll bet playing at Rutgers has helped him more this year then hus time at UCONN. Playing a year in the Rutgers system and alongside Caleb I am sure has made him a much better defensive player.
Playing at Rutgers definitely helped him, he doesn’t get the UConn opportunity if it wasn’t for his time at Rutgers, UConn doesn’t happen.

Reactions: G- RUnit
Nah his stats are slightly better than last year but nice try at trying to minimize what he's accomplished this year.

Factor in that he's playing with elite players all around him and he was their 2nd leading scorer while increasing his rebounds, assists and shooting %s. He's also put himself into the NBA draft discussion due to the year he's had and all his intangibles.

The guy earned the NIL money they offered him and then some.

Colin cowherd had some interesting points on the college game and continuity related to Nil
He pointed out how the Women’s game is getting more viewership because of continuity related to Iowa and C Clark being at Iowa for 4years
The game needs to be honored, what’s going on on the Men’s side is destroying the game.
I agree with this. The women’s tournament has been more interesting

Reactions: Goku and socaldave
I didn’t recognize the the name Spenser but maybe if the announcers could actually pronounce an easy last name correctly like SPENCER… that would help.

NHL

I would be curious how Cam would answer Did Hurley make him better?
This offense is Taylor made for Cam High IQ, Great offense efficiency, lastly high energy constant movement on offense, Pike wasn’t offering that. Without him being able to move and separate himself with his relentless movement on O he is not being considered as a potential NBA player.
Which is now being discussed
I just looked up his stats from last year to his stats this. Not hard to look up if you have the time. Across the board his stats are the same across the board other than averaging 1 more point a game over last year. He's also played 5 more games this year. Again if you don't feel being on a star loaded team has helped him appear better, that's being disingenuous. So can some credit also go to Pike for finding him at Loyola? There's a big difference playing on a national champion over a middle pack Big 10 team. Respectfully argue it all you want. As far as the NBA sure he deserves a shot. He's gotten way more exposure at UConn to also showcase his talents. But averaging 14 pts a game isn't blowing scouts away.

I just looked up his stats from last year to his stats this. Not hard to look up if you have the time. Across the board his stats are the same across the board other than averaging 1 more point a game over last year. He's also played 5 more games this year. Again if you don't feel being on a star loaded team has helped him appear better, that's being disingenuous. So can some credit also go to Pike for finding him at Loyola? There's a big difference playing on a national champion over a middle pack Big 10 team. Respectfully argue it all you want.
I’ve made my point.
Go RU
Let me know when they change the name to Pikers University
Loved RUFan for life response on this thread I agree with him.
Your use of the word disingenuous is telling.

Nah his stats are slightly better than last year but nice try at trying to minimize what he's accomplished this year.

Factor in that he's playing with elite players all around him and he was their 2nd leading scorer while increasing his rebounds, assists and shooting %s. He's also put himself into the NBA draft discussion due to the year he's had and all his intangibles.

The guy earned the NIL money they offered him and then some.
I agree.

Cam's offensive rating, a statistical measure of a player's offensive production, will finish the season ranked #1 out of 2,264 Division I basketball players.

Not a single Rutgers player ranks in the top half. This must change next year and probably will.

Cam also ranked #10 on assist to turnover ratio.

Last night, Danny Hurley played Cam 36 minutes, more than any other UConn player. Danny's minutes allocation in the most important game of Cam's career says a lot about Cam and Danny's savvy as a coach.

Here is the ranking of Division I basketball players by offensive rating. The assist to turnover ratio stats are available through this same source.

I just looked up his stats from last year to his stats this. Not hard to look up if you have the time. Across the board his stats are the same across the board other than averaging 1 more point a game over last year. He's also played 5 more games this year. Again if you don't feel being on a star loaded team has helped him appear better, that's being disingenuous. So can some credit also go to Pike for finding him at Loyola? There's a big difference playing on a national champion over a middle pack Big 10 team. Respectfully argue it all you want. As far as the NBA sure he deserves a shot. He's gotten way more exposure at UConn to also showcase his talents. But averaging 14 pts a game isn't blowing scouts away.
Karl-Anthony Towns averaged 10 points a game at Kentucky. Nevertheless, NBA scouts were impressed. Karl-Anthony was drafted #1.

Reactions: socaldave
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT