ADVERTISEMENT

Announcers

Blood_time

Redshirt
Apr 13, 2018
Those 2 were the worst I've heard. Halfway thru they start blatantly rooting for Rider. Mispronouncing Aragona 100x. 6 minutes into 184 they finally say "oh wow these 2 are both from Brick." Just horrible...

Reactions: DUForever
Those 2 were the worst I've heard. Halfway thru they start blatantly rooting for Rider. Mispronouncing Aragona 100x. 6 minutes into 184 they finally say "oh wow these 2 are both from Brick." Just horrible...

Yes, the mispronunciation of several names was annoying but I thought the announcers were solid, old school guys with decent wrestling knowledge who called the matches evenly. They are supposed to be pro Rider because they call their home matches. They pointed out several Rider wrestlers for conditioning issues and not wrestling in the center of the mat as well. I thought they were better than many I have heard.

Reactions: obrats
Yes, the mispronunciation of several names was annoying but I thought the announcers were solid, old school guys with decent wrestling knowledge who called the matches evenly. They are supposed to be pro Rider because they call their home matches. They pointed out several Rider wrestlers for conditioning issues and not wrestling in the center of the mat as well. I thought they were better than many I have heard.
You didn't hear the Princeton vs. Cornell match then. I was thoroughly impressed by their knowledge. They talked about everything during the match, riding time, strategy and even gave a history of the wrestlers last matches, who they beat that was ranked or how they faired against common opponents. They really did their homework, were impartial and a treat to listen to.

What we got is two senior citizens from the old folks home down in Lawrenceville who walked into the gym wearing their Rider sweatshirts and read the program 15 mins. before the match.

The mispronunciations were annoying but the analysist was Chet Dalgewicz the former 22-year assistant coach at Princeton under Jonny Johnston. I believe he also was a 2X All American from East Stroudsburg, and was inducted into the NJWHOF in 2015.

Reactions: obrats and FoxRU
The mispronunciations were annoying but the analysist was Chet Dalgewicz the former 22-year assistant coach at Princeton under Jonny Johnston. I believe he also was a 2X All American from East Stroudsburg, and was inducted into the NJWHOF in 2015.
Great respect for his previous accomplishments but neither one of those gentlemen belonged behind a microphone. Any announcer worth anything goes over names PRIOR to the event. These guys apparently couldn’t be bothered. The quality of their match commentary and their command of facts also left much to be desired. The Connecticut School of Broadcasting could use them in a commercial called “ don’t be these guys”.

I have my own little mini dictionary compiled of names that Mark Ironside has butchered over the years on Sqwawkeye radio.

Pucillio, Macklagilus, and Hauan (pronounced, "Juan") are three of my all-time favorites.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT