ADVERTISEMENT

Any chance that Rettig

RUwoz

All Conference
Jul 20, 2014
Transfers again after this season? With Laviano as the starter for this year and maybe next, and a star QB coming in next year in Russo, if HR is really the star some here say he is, why would he want to ride the bench for the rest of his college career? Obviously if Chris underperforms or gets hurt this year that could change, but I'm confident that CL will lead this team to great heights this year, and Russo could be a heisman contender in his RS fresh year or sophomore year!

There is a good chance Rettig passes Laviano in the next couple of games.

Unless he was absolutely promised the starting job when he transferred, NO!
I'm sure he was told the same thing they tell everyone which is you will have a fair chance to become a starter. The fact that he came so close to getting the starting job and his performance in the opener should be giving him a lot of confidence that he can indeed be a starter here.
I'm afraid a lot of fans are so used to seeing just one guy playing QB no matter what happens on the field, that they think this will continue. I absolutely believe that this will not be the case based on what appears to be a great second choice for the first time in a long time.

Keep in mind one important thing. Flood and his coaching staff know full well that their tenure is going to be based on performance on the field. Those who feel he is too "loyal" will most likely have the opportunity to see if that is really the case if Laviano falters. If I'm wrong, I will freely admit that I have misjudged him.

Still have a long way to go until the season is over. Transferring twice from schools because he couldn't win a starting job is not going to win over other coaching staffs

Still have a long way to go until the season is over. Transferring twice from schools because he couldn't win a starting job is not going to win over other coaching staffs

It has nothing to do with "other coaching staffs" as I highly doubt he'd stay at this level (although it has happened before). This would be about a kid, getting himself ready for a shot at the NFL, and his education. Probably would transfer "down" if anything at this point.

Remember, unless he wants to drop down to a D1-AA school he would have to sit out another year after transferring. I doubt that would be enticing. My guess, and strictly a guess, would be that he sticks with Rutgers for the next 2 years (thus through Russo's likely red shirt year). If he sees the writing on the wall with respect to playing time in 2017 THEN he would move down a level to get some playing time in his senior year. The alternative, only available if he graduates in May 2017, would be to follow the Russell Wilson route and try to find a place in D1/P5. But his choices would be pretty limited having not started at RU.

Based on what? The vague statement that everybody keeps saying, "his ceiling is higher" lol
His ceiling is higher, much higher! Better arm(QB's still need to throw the ball into tight windows), and I really shouldn't have to explain this. Football IQ is also a deciding factor, but I didn't see anything from HR to give me concern. He went through his progressions well, probably better than Laviano. Bottom line is that we know what we have with Laviano, a game manager who displays an adequate arm, but won't turn any NFL heads anytime soon. HR can be a difference maker, he can win games that Laviano can't. The difference is that one is a Pro prospect and the other is a good College QB. That my friend is what we call, a "higher ceiling!" So laugh all you want, it is a the kind of LOL that comes from ignorance.
Flood is comfortable with Laviano, that's his choice. Afterall, he is the coach. But, to get to the "next level" he will need more QB's like HR, and less like Laviano. Now, many will say that the coaches see them both in practice, and they know better, bulls*it! The unemployment line is filled with coaches who knew better. Time will be my witness.

Remember, unless he wants to drop down to a D1-AA school he would have to sit out another year after transferring. I doubt that would be enticing. My guess, and strictly a guess, would be that he sticks with Rutgers for the next 2 years (thus through Russo's likely red shirt year). If he sees the writing on the wall with respect to playing time in 2017 THEN he would move down a level to get some playing time in his senior year. The alternative, only available if he graduates in May 2017, would be to follow the Russell Wilson route and try to find a place in D1/P5. But his choices would be pretty limited having not started at RU.
Good breakdown. His best shot to become a starter is at Rutgers. If he learns the playbook as well as Laviano he may overtake him. Laviano could also get hurt or get pulled for ineffectiveness.

We've played one game this year, and he's played one half. A lot can and will happen. Is this thread necessary?

His ceiling is higher, much higher! Better arm(QB's still need to throw the ball into tight windows), and I really shouldn't have to explain this. Football IQ is also a deciding factor, but I didn't see anything from HR to give me concern. He went through his progressions well, probably better than Laviano. Bottom line is that we know what we have with Laviano, a game manager who displays an adequate arm, but won't turn any NFL heads anytime soon. HR can be a difference maker, he can win games that Laviano can't. The difference is that one is a Pro prospect and the other is a good College QB. That my friend is what we call, a "higher ceiling!" So laugh all you want, it is a the kind of LOL that comes from ignorance.
Flood is comfortable with Laviano, that's his choice. Afterall, he is the coach. But, to get to the "next level" he will need more QB's like HR, and less like Laviano. Now, many will say that the coaches see them both in practice, and they know better, bulls*it! The unemployment line is filled with coaches who knew better. Time will be my witness.

How do we know what we have with Laviano?

Reactions: sct1111
How do we know what we have with Laviano?

Based seeing him play a few times last year, Spring game, and 1 half of football this year. If you need more, then you are not paying attention. The first throw he made, which Caroo, came back to catch was grossly underthrown. That ball should have been much higher and dropping down into the endzone, where Carroo can run under it. Instead it needed a great play from the WR to prevent the interception. Laviano wound up to throw that ball, and it barely made 40 yards. It is a struggle every time he throws the ball, where HR delivers quickly and with little effort. I don't need a year to realize the difference in the two. But, it doesn't stop there, progressive reads are a QB's forte, some can do it naturally(see Russo), others have trouble finding secondary receivers. HR again excels at this. But, needs playing time to actually become second nature. That will never happen on the bench. Laviano is adequate, and will probably get us 7 wins this year. But, HR would have gotten us much more, and next year we would be looking at a Conference Championship. That is the difference.

"The unemployment line is filled with coaches who knew better"
My guess is that there are a lot more coaches who didn't have a clue on that line.

I think the OP was way too early for anyone to really know what lies ahead. Coaches make decisions all the time based on what they believe to be best. When you make a lot of decisions, some of them are not the right ones. The coaches who have the most success usually make more correct decisions than incorrect. How about waiting until we see what we really have to work with?

"The unemployment line is filled with coaches who knew better"
My guess is that there are a lot more coaches who didn't have a clue on that line.

I think the OP was way too early for anyone to really know what lies ahead. Coaches make decisions all the time based on what they believe to be best. When you make a lot of decisions, some of them are not the right ones. The coaches who have the most success usually make more correct decisions than incorrect. How about waiting until we see what we really have to work with?

I agree, but unfortunately HR doesn't have that luxury. I really feel for him.

Let the season play out before we talk about him transferring although since Russo will be a Heisman contender by sophomore years, maybe all the QBs should transfer.

Let the season play out before we talk about him transferring although since Russo will be a Heisman contender by sophomore years, maybe all the QBs should transfer.

This . Let's see how Laviano does for a few games . If he proves to be a leader and "wins" some games for RU then Floyd is a genius. If he falters and cost RU a game or two and Floyd does not give HR an opportunity then we have a real sh#tshow and Floyd deserves criticism and more.

You could be right. Or maybe not. This board's support for storing all these messages for the entire season will be our witness come the end of the season.

Reactions: IL Lusciato

Diagnosis - commit him.

Flood has never shown any evidence that he can manage the QB situation.

I agree with what someone said above, if he does it will be the 5th year transfer rule if he never overtakes Lov. He could do some summer work to assure graduating in 4.

I must say i have never seen such a good performance (great statistically) by a qb be maligned so much. On Lov's first throw, maybe all receivers were covered, and Caroo was not wide open, so he threw it short knowing Caroo was single covered and will almost always win a jump ball in that circumstance. Regardless, I think Flood choose Lov because he feels he is less likely to make a mistake at this point in time. If we get mostly mistake free football from the qb there is a decent chance we start 4 - 0.

I like Rettig and hope he gets playing time and helps the team this year. It seems a lot are sold on arm strength but I think decision making and accuracy are more important than arm strength. Hopefully he proves to be the whole package.

Why didn't Gio get the last series?

Reactions: JQRU91
I believe he was referring to Floyd the barber in Mayberry.
image.jpg

If he doesn't get another opportunity, smart money says he drops down a level to play immediately.

He has too much talent to sit on the bench behind Laviano.

It's pretty sad that someone needs to explain what higher ceiling means.

a coach at a mac, sunbelt, conference usa school would take him an not even give it a second thought

Over Ohio State? How Rutgers Al of you.

LOL!
I said, "would," where I probably should be saying, could. Ohio State is very strong, but still a College football team, which houses teens typically 18, 19 year olds, and some at 20 or 21. But, still too young to be perfect or unstoppable. To be optimistic as opposed to pessimistic is a trait I hold very dear to my heart. Rutgers Al, is on the other hand in lala land(luv u Al), yet he is great for RU!
We need more RU fans that predict undefeated seasons, than those who predict 5 and 5 seasons. i.e., Fan, from the word Fanatic!

Last edited:
Russo is a Heisman contender without throwing a pass in a college football game? Really? We've barely seen Laviano and Rettig play and the internet coaches now know all their capabilities.

a coach at a mac, sunbelt, conference usa school would take him an not even give it a second thought

This. If Laviano has bad games and Flood refuses to give Rettig a chance to play any non P5 Conference team would take him in a heartbeat. Very possible scenario since Flood stays with his guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT