ADVERTISEMENT

Any idea if we will be seeing more concerts at The RAC and Stadium ?

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
Now that The RAC will have air-conditioning soon, do you think we will be seeing a wider range of events,including more concerts, year-round ? Has Hobbs had any luck with Piscataway allowing concerts at the stadium ? We need to get more people familiar with their own state university (and extra income couldn't hurt).

Hard to see it. Summer has PNC nearby. Between Newark, Giants stadium and MSG not a big need for venue space and I'm sure the acoustics in the RAC are awful.

Now that The RAC will have air-conditioning soon, do you think we will be seeing a wider range of events,including more concerts, year-round ? Has Hobbs had any luck with Piscataway allowing concerts at the stadium ? We need to get more people familiar with their own state university (and extra income couldn't hurt).

No

I thought I remember reading that when RU got the approvals from Piscataway to expand the stadium , a stipulation was No Concerts. Not sure however.

I thought I remember reading that when RU got the approvals from Piscataway to expand the stadium , a stipulation was No Concerts. Not sure however.
Rutgers is State property and not subject to local building codes or zoning. We did not need any approvals from the town to build a stadium or anything else on State property. RU deals directly with the State
agencies involved.

Now we might do things to keep the burgermeisters of Piscataway happy but they can't force us to do anything.

I think the sound for a music concert in the current RAC is probably terrible (acoustically). Although other events maybe----stand up comedy?

I can't remember the year, but I swear I went to a Styx concert at The RAC many moons ago.

p2G0Lck.gif

Is the RAC actually getting air conditioning?..... been hearing that for years now....

I don't think there was anything with Piscataway, but the 1994 expansion had stipulations that they couldn't host events that would compete with Giants Stadium as a venue.

I don't think there was anything with Piscataway, but the 1994 expansion had stipulations that they couldn't host events that would compete with Giants Stadium as a venue.
Rutgers could not compete with the state owned Giant Stadium, but now MetLife Stadium is owned by the Jets and Giants all bets are off. There is nothing holding Rutgers back.

Reactions: RU-AGK
Rutgers could not compete with the state owned Giant Stadium, but now MetLife Stadium is owned by the Jets and Giants all bets are off. There is nothing holding Rutgers back.
Bingo! With Giants Stadium knocked down, the deal with the Sports Authority is null and void.

Reactions: RUsSKii and RU-AGK
the stipulation was in the loan from NJSEA to build the stadium. no concerts to compete with the Meadowlands facilities.
Giant Stadium is gone and the arena is closing or already closed, so the NJSEA is out business at the Meadowlands when it comes to concerts.

Reactions: RU-AGK
Giant Stadium is gone and the arena is closing or already closed, so the NJSEA is out business at the Meadowlands when it comes to concerts.

That may be true - but the loan is still in force with the restriction - not sure what measures are needed to remove it and who is the successor to the loan. knowing how govts. function it may be quite the task to remove the restriction even though it makes perfect sense.

That may be true - but the loan is still in force with the restriction - not sure what measures are needed to remove it and who is the successor to the loan. knowing how govts. function it may be quite the task to remove the restriction even though it makes perfect sense.
So screw all sides then...dumb. Also, with the NJSEA not earning a dime from the Meadowlands (concerts) don't you think it would be smart to allow Rutgers to hold concerts. The NJSEA could earn the 28 million quicker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT