ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know if an Arcitecture major is on the way?

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
In another thread,it was mentioned that Rutgers does not currently offer a major in Architecture. Anyone know if we will at some point ?

I doubt I see RU making that type of investment, to start a whole department or school/academic unit. As Scarlet Pride noted, the state's (i.e. public school) primary offering of a bachelor's degree in that field is through NJIT (5-year B.Arch program last I recall), which is pretty well respected. Otherwise, locally in NJ, I think Princeton also offers an undergrad architecture program.

Frankly, I thought it was a bit odd when I was young (in HS) and exploring career paths along the lines of engineering, architecture, construction mgmt (also, a B.S. degree only at NJIT), etc. and given that I was looking at Rutgers among other schools, I couldn't figure out why such a large state school didn't offer an architecture degree. Ultimately, I went with what I felt was the more broadly technical and flexible degree by going the engineering route as I was still contemplating Civil, Mechanical, and even Industrial, when I got to RU. Decided on Civil due to my general interest in large structures and construction. Didn't feel I had the creative side as much to be a successful architect. Separately, I think back and wonder whether I would have enjoyed coupling the civil eng'g degree with urban planning while at RU, or at least taken some courses in that "softer" discipline.

I believe Cook/SEBS still offers a B.S. in Landscape Architecture degree which, in practice (as a career/job), can be a substantial overlap of what many civil engineers also get trained in and work on when first out of school in terms of site design, grading, etc.

Yes, new programs seem unlikely. Most of the recent talk has been about growing around programs we are already strong in.

Academic programs from Strategic Plan
"Focus selectively on strengthening key large ranked disciplines, including engineering, health and biological sciences, and business"

"Key Initiatives Maintain excellence in the sciences and humanities through strategic investments and faculty recruitments that emphasize academic quality rather than expanding size."

Reactions: RUnTeX
Personally I would rather Rutgers start a Veterinary School before an Architecture School. I think Barchi would as well, given his background in medical science.

Architecture is a very challenging field to break into these days and ever-increasingly so. Residential new construction is almost always (save for the very well heeled) cookie-cutter in housing developments and they utilize one firm with repeating designs. I wouldn't think creating a new department would be a good idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT