ADVERTISEMENT

AP rankings week 18 3/4/2019

not sure why people are arguing...we have 8 losses, yes wins this week against a bottom feeder and a 2 solid but not ncaa teams. We had lost a lot of games during a stretch, not sure why we should be in. Not sure why people are caught up in rankings. This team plays better when they are not ranked.

I say BS to a lot of this. SMH.
Where should we be?
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings
Rutgers sits at #31 in the AP. Total BS. We had been as high as 14 in the AP poll. I completely understand and agree why we were booted from the AP poll after that miserable showing a few weeks ago, and having 2 of our women suspended at the time.

But since that time, we beat three winning programs including one (Minnesota) that is probably an NCAA team or at least on the bubble. To have us behind programs like South Dakota, South Dakota State, DePaul, Kansas State 7 and BYU is insulting to not only Rutgers but the B1G. The fact that UCLA and Rice are number 24 and 25 is laughable.

For me, it's now a matter of doing well in the B1G tournament and then shocking the world in the NCAA's. If we are not put in a bracket with UCONN and can get a higher seed (which we should deserve) I can see this team reaching the Sweet 16.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletteK80
not sure why people are arguing...we have 8 losses, yes wins this week against a bottom feeder and a 2 solid but not ncaa teams. We had lost a lot of games during a stretch, not sure why we should be in. Not sure why people are caught up in rankings. This team plays better when they are not ranked.
Always playing the contrarian BAC. BTW, I think you're wrong regarding Minnesota. I think they're an NCAA team. What the AP should have taken into consideration more than just wins and losses is the fact that we had two women suspended and it adversely affected the team when they went into that mental funk with the results of those losses. But the nucleus of the team rallied around one another and pulled off three straight wins. It's easy to play the contrarian in what's going on, but on this one, I think your argument is paper thin.

Where I agree with you, is this poll doesn't mean a damn thing. We need to keep winning and having a good showing in the B1G tourney and then do some serious damage in the NCAA's. Then we will get a final poll where we are deserving of being in the top 25 teams in the country.

To have us behind programs like South Dakota, South Dakota State, DePaul, Kansas State 7 and BYU is insulting to not only Rutgers but the B1G. The fact that UCLA and Rice are number 24 and 25 is laughable.

UCLA has won 10/12 games including wins vs #20 ASU and on the road against #6 Oregon--with the only losses in that stretch to Oregon St and Stanford (both top 12 teams). Rice is 24-3 and hasn't lost since mid December.

I wouldn't get too worked up about where we fall in the "Also receiving votes " list. The B10 is down this year in terms of great teams (as of right now no team is projected to get better than a #3 seed), and as everyone has correctly noted, what really matters is NCAA seeding.

Right now RU is #25 RPI, #26 Massey. If we win our quarterfinal game that likely doesn't move much. If we are able to advance to the finals, then we could see some important momentum before the NCAA has their say.

Reactions: bac2therac
Of the 10 teams in front of Rutgers last week, only three lost a game since the previous poll. There is a big gap from 25 to 26 in votes received. I think the only chance RU has next week of being ranked is getting to the final of the B1G tournament. I agree with the sentiment that it looks very odd for the B1G to have two teams in the top 10 when their losses are to teams in the B1G (IA lost early in the season to FSU and ND also.) but none of those conference teams is particularly close to being ranked.

UCLA has won 10/12 games including wins vs #20 ASU and on the road against #6 Oregon--with the only losses in that stretch to Oregon St and Stanford (both top 12 teams). Rice is 24-3 and hasn't lost since mid December.

I wouldn't get too worked up about where we fall in the "Also receiving votes " list. The B10 is down this year in terms of great teams (as of right now no team is projected to get better than a #3 seed), and as everyone has correctly noted, what really matters is NCAA seeding.

Right now RU is #25 RPI, #26 Massey. If we win our quarterfinal game that likely doesn't move much. If we are able to advance to the finals, then we could see some important momentum before the NCAA has their say.
Good post. I do agree with much of what you said. I'm not concerned with where we're ranked as by another post I stated just above yours.

before this week, RU lost 4 of 5 games and had a 2nd player thrown off. Yes this was a great week but the previous swoon was alot to overcome. RU was blitzed by Minnesota, Maryland and Ohio State....we lost at home to OSU by 20 and scored 39 and RU scored 46 and 48. This created a negative impression of the program reminding some of last years swoon. You arent going to get that ranking back right away. Not sure why you are caught up in ranking..our ncaa seeding is what counts, nothing else. If RU is a top 25 team, they will show it by reaching the Big 10 finals

Reactions: LtCol144
before this week, RU lost 4 of 5 games and had a 2nd player thrown off. Yes this was a great week but the previous swoon was alot to overcome. RU was blitzed by Minnesota, Maryland and Ohio State....we lost at home to OSU by 20 and scored 39 and RU scored 46 and 48. This created a negative impression of the program reminding some of last years swoon. You arent going to get that ranking back right away. Not sure why you are caught up in ranking..our ncaa seeding is what counts, nothing else. If RU is a top 25 team, they will show it by reaching the Big 10 finals
If you're replying to me, I don't know where you get "why are you caught up in ranking..." I'm not. I'm more concerned about us doing well in the B1G tourney and getting a higher seed in the NCAA's. I just brought it up, because I disagreed with the AP poll. I think you're making too much of this now.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Once a team gets into the top 25, it's basically there until it loses. That's poll voter logic. So a team like BYU just has to keep winning, and it really doesn't matter what teams outside the top 25 do. It's not particularly fair, but it's been the way voting happens for decades.

Some of these ranked teams in non-Power 5 conferences are going to get seeded below their rankings. They know it, the voters know it, and most important the committee knows it.

http://warrennolan.com/basketballw/2019/team-sheet?team=Rutgers
Team sheet for RU looks solid. No Q3 or Q4 loss (RPI>100), average RPI loss 43 (9, 97). Other than MD, some of the wins that were good wins aren't as strong as earlier in the year. Average RPI win 137 (14, 312). I totally get the super easy schedule at the beginning of the year to get the 1K out of the way, but--unless there are reciprocal agreements for next season--I hope the OOC toughens up vis a vis the lower end. Upper end is fine. If you examine RU's sheet alongside Iowa's sheet, IA had three Q4 opponents contrasted to RU's six.
http://warrennolan.com/basketballw/2019/team-sheet?team=Iowa

I guess the wild card is the weekend tournaments.

I think getting to the B10 finals would "solidify" RU as a top 25 team since they'd have to beat Iowa, which is as of now a #2 seed in the committee's eyes. But they could obviously still be a top 25 team and lose to a top 10 team.

Anyway, go fight win!

UCLA is sitting at 25 with a record of 19 - 7 an RPI of 35 and 4th in the PAC 12. We are 21 - 8 with an RPI of 25 and 3rd in the BIG! Go figure...
Actually, UCLA is 19-11. There are other teams with similar records to Rutgers (Texas. Florida State, Syracuse, Iowa State, South Carolina, Miami, etc.) that are all in the top 25. Yes, I know it's about Quad 1 and 2 wins, but Rutgers has those as well.

Again, for me it's about doing well in the B1G tourney and get a higher seed in the NCAA's so we are not playing UCONN in a second round game.

Like bac said, losing those 4 out of 5 hurt and I think it probably was a major factor in not being in. .
I would have thought winning the next 3 after losing 4 out of 5 might put RU back in,
but the 4 out of 5 was to much to overcome.
Players dismissed shouldn't have helped keeping Rutgers . I would think the way Rutgers ended the regular season ( 3 straight wins) without them could have helped gain enough votes to be placed in 25, but that wasn't enough.

I can't whine about not being voted in, feel the 4 out of 5 was the killing factor

Reactions: RU MAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT