ADVERTISEMENT

APP: Greg Schiano Part II is a bad idea, so who gets the job come December?

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...all-nunzio-campanile-greg-schiano/3859771002/

PISCATAWAY - I don't think Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs hiring Greg Schiano as his next football coach is a good idea.
I will give you a moment to get the yelling, eye-rolling and name-calling out of your system......ahem.......we good? OK, let's move forward.

We'll start there. Hobbs said on Monday he wants someone who can win Big Ten championships and get it to a Rose Bowl. Schiano may be beloved among this fan base, but the fact of the matter is, all of the recruiting wins and sending guys to the NFL was never enough to win the Big East. The version of Rutgers Schiano would be coming back to now deals with a much bigger monster in the Big Ten.

Schiano couldn't overcome Louisville, West Virginia and Cincinnati once upon a time, so color me skeptical when the Scarlet Knights are now dealing with Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, and Michigan every year. Assuming Schiano can start keeping at least some of New Jersey's best high school players home again, 7-5, 8-4 and bowl games should be on the table. Winning the Big Ten is not.

Besides, name the last sequel better than the original. Bobby Petrino at Louisville? Randy Edsall at UConn? Caddyshack II? Blues Brothers 2000? No, no, no, and definitely not.

Godfather 2.
Star Trek 2 Star Trek 4

As many as have pointed out including I, lots of successes including Bill Snyder, Johnny Robinson, Bill Walsh, even Mack Brown. Petrino was 34-18 before the off the field nonsense.

Time is now for Schiano!!!!!!

https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...all-nunzio-campanile-greg-schiano/3859771002/

PISCATAWAY - I don't think Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs hiring Greg Schiano as his next football coach is a good idea.
I will give you a moment to get the yelling, eye-rolling and name-calling out of your system......ahem.......we good? OK, let's move forward.

We'll start there. Hobbs said on Monday he wants someone who can win Big Ten championships and get it to a Rose Bowl. Schiano may be beloved among this fan base, but the fact of the matter is, all of the recruiting wins and sending guys to the NFL was never enough to win the Big East. The version of Rutgers Schiano would be coming back to now deals with a much bigger monster in the Big Ten.

Schiano couldn't overcome Louisville, West Virginia and Cincinnati once upon a time, so color me skeptical when the Scarlet Knights are now dealing with Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, and Michigan every year. Assuming Schiano can start keeping at least some of New Jersey's best high school players home again, 7-5, 8-4 and bowl games should be on the table. Winning the Big Ten is not.

Besides, name the last sequel better than the original. Bobby Petrino at Louisville? Randy Edsall at UConn? Caddyshack II? Blues Brothers 2000? No, no, no, and definitely not.
We are in a very confusing situation. Seemingly damned if we do and damned if we don't.

The Schiano Cult will not like this

It’s an awful article . Seems like it was written by a 9th grader . The whole thing trashes schiano and the job he did here. Like schiano or not the guy did build up the program from nothing to the point of getting a BIG invite . So the writer wants the buffalo guy or army guy instead . He could have said that in 1 paragraph, not that hatchet job.

It’s going to take a special coach to build a program here. Although not ideal, I’d be ok with Schiano, sine he’s done it before. He will at least get the program in order again. I’d also be ok with Butch Jones. Most of the rest being mentioned appear to be the same uninspiring candidates that keep us spinning our wheels.

Either no one else wants this job or we are doing the correct thing by waiting and seeking who else may open up. Because of the Ash disaster this is probably at least a 5-7 build provided we get the right person.

Reactions: RUinPAC10land
Godfather 2.
Star Trek 2 Star Trek 4

As many as have pointed out including I, lots of successes including Bill Snyder, Johnny Robinson, Bill Walsh, even Mack Brown. Petrino was 34-18 before the off the field nonsense.

Time is now for Schiano!!!!!!
Dumb and Dumberer.
/Thread.

Reactions: 17Q66
The anti gs 10-15% are quite something- much akin to the similarly vocal anti vaxx crowd.

Gotta chuckle At the logic: worrying about getting to a Rose Bowl and we can barely score a touchdown or stay within 40 of a league opponent. We have a potential candidate who has done it before, knows what it takes to get it done and has shown not talk or hysteria, rather tangible resultswork -But we have a vocal group worrying about what if we get 6 to 7 wins a season and the side effects are not getting to the Rose Bowl.

Unbelievable.

The anti gs 10-15% are quite something- much akin to the similarly vocal anti vaxx crowd.

Gotta chuckle At the logic: worrying about getting to a Rose Bowl and we can barely score a touchdown or stay within 40 of a league opponent. We have a potential candidate who has done it before, knows what it takes to get it done and has shown not talk or hysteria, rather tangible resultswork -But we have a vocal group worrying about what if we get 6 to 7 wins a season and the side effects are not getting to the Rose Bowl.

Unbelievable.

Yeah, I kind of agree with you. I have different reasons that I'm leaning towards Butch Jones, but the lack of championships for Greg is not one. My only concerns with Greg is does he have the fire to redo a job that he did almost 20 years ago? I'm not sure if he has the fire to go do that a second time and deal with the many ups-and-downs that will inevitably arise. Will he be able to overcome us going 1-11 or 2-10 the first couple of years? That said, he has the charisma and brand to give us some immediate boost in fan support and recruiting.

I would definitely be okay with a return of GS, because he at least gives us a chance to climb out of this hole. My preference, again, is Butch Jones. I think he will have the drive to get us on the right path. Even if he doesn't ultimately get us across the finish line, I think he gets the program back on track with recruiting and fan support.

Unbelievable.

x10

Hobbs wants to go to the Rose Bowl, and the writer wants to overcome the best programs in the conference....realists want to get back to respectable and GS can do that. How anyone can be thinking about bowling after New years or winning the conference is crazy to me.

If we have a chance to get a better HC like Jones or Moorhead we should hire those. If not then I would be happy with Schiano.

The Schiano Cult however would riot if we hire a better HC than Schiano.

Reactions: mildone
The Pro-GS group will tell you it was planned...because Hobbs talked to GS and said don't take NE job because Ash will be gone in a couple months.

Never mind that Schiano and Hobbs have never spoken to each other and that Greg Brown was heavily involved in hiring Ash.

For them facts don't matter just conspiracy theories.

I love how everyone brings up he couldn't get us over the hump or we plateaued. Guess what, we're not that team any longer. This is an on the field build from scratch situation all over again. So we need someone to get us to be competitive again before we can start thinking of getting over the hump or plateauing.

The Pro-GS group will tell you it was planned...because Hobbs talked to GS and said don't take NE job because Ash will be gone in a couple months.
You're the 1st person I've heard say this. What I've heard said is Schiano left the Patriots job because he had aspiration to be a college head coach again. Belichick couldn't agree to that timeline as it could possibly interfere with a playoff run.

Reactions: Steve91562
I love how everyone brings up he couldn't get us over the hump or we plateaued. Guess what, we're not that team any longer. This is an on the field build from scratch situation all over again. So we need someone to get us to be competitive again before we can start thinking of getting over the hump or plateauing.

The only reason peoplenare mentioning that is because the Cult if Schiano said he could win with these players year 1. Among other crazy nonsense.

Do you want me to bump those threads? You can just do a search.

I much rather have Schiano than yet another DC who has never been HC. No more learning at the job! But just because there are 2-5 better HC thatvwe might be able to get than him people try to label me ans others as Anti-Schiano. It is madness!

You're the 1st person I've heard say this. What I've heard said is Schiano left the Patriots job because he had aspiration to be a college head coach again. Belichick couldn't agree to that timeline as it could possibly interfere with a playoff run.

It was all over this board.

I'm on this board all the time and I've never seen this was a plan between Hobbs and Schiano. But I will agree with you this is not a one year turn around. On both sides, Lineman are our weakness, there's nothing in the pipeline right now to remedy that situation quickly. This is a group where you have to recruit and develop. So it's going to take time. The only quick fix is to hit the Grad transfer, transfer and JUCO markets hard.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge

I don't think they see it as you betray it. Perhaps some boosters reached out to GS, or maybe GS just realized that Ash was a dead man walking. While I can definitely picture a scenario like that, I have no idea if any of that is reality.

I don't think they see it as you betray it. Perhaps some boosters reached out to GS, or maybe GS just realized that Ash was a dead man walking. While I can definitely picture a scenario like that, I have no idea if any of that is reality.

But, you would agree that once GS left the Pats after one week...the GS trumpeters were giddy that the fix was in that he's coming to RU...no?

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
But, you would agree that once GS left the Pats after one week...the GS trumpeters were giddy that the fix was in that he's coming to RU...no?

I agree with that part of the post.....at least for a portion of the GS supporters.

Unbelievable.

This. I don’t think schiano can get us to the rose bowl. But I still think he’s a good choice

It’s going to take a special coach to build a program here. Although not ideal, I’d be ok with Schiano, sine he’s done it before. He will at least get the program in order again. I’d also be ok with Butch Jones. Most of the rest being mentioned appear to be the same uninspiring candidates that keep us spinning our wheels.

Either no one else wants this job or we are doing the correct thing by waiting and seeking who else may open up. Because of the Ash disaster this is probably at least a 5-7 build provided we get the right person.

Ash was prophetic with the 20 year rebuild

Reactions: IL Lusciato
i think Schiano part 2 will be better than part 1. More experience, two years under one of the best college coaches in history. The only thing I'm a little concerned with is the fire in his belly.

LMAO
Sports writers no less about football and what needs to happen here than most life forms.

Not to mention contrarian and against the grain thinking is vital to their existence... controversy is their friend.

Reactions: Abro1975

Of all the reasons given for not bringing Schiano back, this is by far the most bullsh*t of them all. Yet, I keep hearing it from the Schiano "fearers". Every situation is different, with each institution having its own set of challenges and each coach having his own unique combination of strengths and weaknesses. In all these conversations, there's a clear lack of appreciation by some for the uniqueness of our situation here.

FWIW (and it may not be worth much), I'm hearing that Schiano is not happening. But, if not him, Hobbs better damn well make sure that whoever is hired has a vision, a full grasp of the challenges and a credible plan to address each one... including a staff that can recruit their asses off.

King of S said:
Why did Schiano leave New England?
----------------------------------------------
Could be that, could be the being with family reason was true or a combination of not liking being away from his family, not willing to move family to Massachusetts and being available after the college season is over to look for a HC position.
I have no doubt in my mind, even if Greg never talked to Hobbs or third parties did the leg work,
Schiano knew he would be considered by Hobbs if Ash was fired and wanted to be available to start thew second contract was signed.
But he probably felt he might have a chance at anbnother program, maybe replacing a G-5 HC moving into a P-5 HC position and wanted to be able to hit the ground running after recruits ASAP and him and Belichick felt it best he leave
his position on staff so he could do as planned if he do that and not disrupt the Pats season by leaving before it was over.
Also they knew Greg couldn't take over a college program and still do his job at NE.

Yeah, I kind of agree with you. I have different reasons that I'm leaning towards Butch Jones, but the lack of championships for Greg is not one. My only concerns with Greg is does he have the fire to redo a job that he did almost 20 years ago? I'm not sure if he has the fire to go do that a second time and deal with the many ups-and-downs that will inevitably arise. Will he be able to overcome us going 1-11 or 2-10 the first couple of years? That said, he has the charisma and brand to give us some immediate boost in fan support and recruiting.

I would definitely be okay with a return of GS, because he at least gives us a chance to climb out of this hole. My preference, again, is Butch Jones. I think he will have the drive to get us on the right path. Even if he doesn't ultimately get us across the finish line, I think he gets the program back on track with recruiting and fan support.

I agree. One of Greg's biggest positives is that he knows what needs to be done and has done it. But, that's also one of the reasons he might say no. And, like you, I'm not opposed to another coach who has what it takes.

This article is spin laced with some facts. There are several positive facts that could be utilized to make an opposite argument.

Butch Jones feels too expensive? Over the past week I’ve read so many bad articles about Rutgers, Schiano and this coach search it borders on ridiculous. Most of media only care about clicks about this topic and have zero insight.

Whoever comes here, RU will still be very bad the first 2 seasons,
If it is Greg S., people will be calling for his head.
If it is another coach, people will be calling for Hobbs head (along with the coach)
Not sure if RU faithful will have the patience to go through another rebuild.

I predict a LOT of Fire ______ (insert name) the next 2 years

FWIW (and it may not be worth much), I'm hearing that Schiano is not happening

Kev--Any reasoning given? Hobbs doesn't want him--Hobbs drove him off with actions last time--GS truly not interested (as opposed to Hobbs getting that narrative out there???

If I read one more time, "Schiano couldn't beat WV", I'll go crazy. Who cares? He lost 84-7 in his first year and turned it around from there into something better than respectable. That's what matters now. He filled the stadium. He had enough success to warrant expanding it.

Championships? Are people thick? Do they know where we are right now? On the verge of getting beat 84-7. Circle Penn State. Franklin is a sadist. Schiano will out recruit Franklin. Kid-> NFL = Schiano, not Franklin.

Yep--who better could Rutgers get to go into living rooms to recruit against Franklin and Harbaugh than GS?

Isn't THAT the best and only plausible chance for Rose Bowls?

Reactions: satnom
Schiano never won the Big East that even Connecticut was able to win once. How would he ever win the Big Ten?

Reactions: tico brown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT