ADVERTISEMENT

Are we 52 weeks away from RU having their name called on selection Sunday?

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Maybe

Give it a 35-40% chance ...winning for the first time when no one else on the roster (except young) means a lot has to come together on the intangible side even after the player and team development does

We have a Chance next year ...more likely a winning season a NIT bid...but I think if the player development comes along for the frosh and soph, the buy in is high , and the leadership is strong ...we have a chance next year even in the unforgiving big ten and a very difficult schedule

Maybe

Give it a 35-40% chance ...winning for the first time when no one else on the roster (except young) means a lot has to come together on the intangible side even after the player and team development does

We have a Chance next year ...more likely a winning season a NIT bid...but I think if the player development comes along for the frosh and soph, the buy in is high , and the leadership is strong ...we have a chance next year even in the unforgiving big ten and a very difficult schedule

The NIT is a realistic goal. Not saying we’ll get there but anything less than .500 will be a disappointment.
If the top underclassmen in the B1G return ( a big “if”), the league will be even stronger than this year.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
What’s the OOC schedule? 8-2?
B1G? 9-11

17-13 going to conference tournament.

The SHU game will be HUGE
A tough ticket to get, especially if Powell returns.

RU isn't defined by any 1 game, there are 20+ conference games that are more important to the process and a potential bid of NIT or being on the bubble. The game in 2 years when RU is on the road again, will be the statement game...quality road win with mostly upperclassmen at that stage.

The difference between NCAAs and NiT is either 1 or 2 games.

I am putting oddds.....
NIT or better 30%
NCAA 15%
B1G bye 40%

Reactions: RickB113
if we are 30% NIT, then B1G bye is more like 80%. RU was one basket from a bye this year and didn't really sniff a NIT bid. hell if RU doesn't get a bye I would say the season is a disappointment

The difference between NCAAs and NiT is either 1 or 2 games.

I am putting oddds.....
NIT or better 30%
NCAA 15%
B1G bye 40%

The next 3 to 20 weeks of recruiting are important for the program to maintain momentum for 2020-21. Next year is another step forward to stabilize the program in the B1G

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If the SOS non conference schedule is not upgraded and the team ready to win early season games, you can forget about making it. You have to win OOC games vs likley NCAA opponents to make the tourney,unless you are top 5 or 6 school in league and RU is not., St Johns beat VCU, SHU beat Maryland and Kentucky, VCU beat Texas. Minnesota beat Washington, Ohio State beat Cincy. If you lose so be it, its a better loss than a bad loss to a horrific A10 school on the road

dont know the scheduling for ACC challenge but we need to avoid the Wakes, ND, BC, Ga tech types

The goal for next year MUST be the NCAA tournament. It is possible, and there’s no reason we can’t have realistic hope for it.

There’s a saying, and I might butcher it, but something like “Don’t be swayed by the subtle bias of low expectations.”

Just because we’re Rutgers and we’re conditioned to have low expectations, doesn’t mean we should accept that fate, especially when the objective evidence points the other way.

This team has enough talent to get to the NCAA next year. Will they? I don’t know, but it has to be the goal for everyone involved with the program. We have to overcome our own low expectations and just embrace the loftier goals.

Maybe

Shack good points. Personally, I believe we will finally have a winning season and go to the NIT. For us to actually have our name called on Sunday, not only do our freshmen who will be sophomores need to blossom next season, but I think we need a grad transfer big man and possibly a sharp shooting small forward.

Either way, it's so nice to go into the off season for once with such realistic expectations for a winning record and a tournament. How long has it been since we've been able to say that?

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
So sad ... I misread the title as 52 years ... never know next year!!!!!

if we are 30% NIT, then B1G bye is more like 80%. RU was one basket from a bye this year and didn't really sniff a NIT bid. hell if RU doesn't get a bye I would say the season is a disappointment

Depends on SOS. Only 1 non bye team is being left out of NCAA or NIT. 8 NCAA and Indiana in NIT

If the SOS non conference schedule is not upgraded and the team ready to win early season games, you can forget about making it. You have to win OOC games vs likley NCAA opponents to make the tourney,unless you are top 5 or 6 school in league and RU is not., St Johns beat VCU, SHU beat Maryland and Kentucky, VCU beat Texas. Minnesota beat Washington, Ohio State beat Cincy. If you lose so be it, its a better loss than a bad loss to a horrific A10 school on the road

dont know the scheduling for ACC challenge but we need to avoid the Wakes, ND, BC, Ga tech types

Yes ....agree to a point

I think it’s imperative to not have bad losses ....that is the big killer. We get a lot of quad one and quad two chances in league ...especially with those extra two league games that most other programs down

As long as we are playing 3 of our 11 out of conference games against power five confronwnce teams AND the eight cupcakes...maybe half are against quad three...then it’s fine

Reactions: RickB113 and RU MAN
Oh...by the way...memo to the big ten...

NO Michigan state in November and december

How about some mid level teams to start
How about not starting the B1G conference games until January. This still would work fine for league play. There's plenty of time as we have seen by this past season.

I would say 10% . A lot of things need to happen and we need some luck for an ncaa tournament season. But each year there are stories about teams that come out of nowhere .

Goal 1 - .500 or better for the season
Goal 2 - .500 or better for the regular season
Goal 3 - the above with a win or two in the Big Ten tournament
Goal 4 - NIT
Goal 5 - 20 win or more season
Goal 6 - NCAA bid

It’s steps and progress, people. We need to keep taking scalps. We did that this year but there are more out there- e.g., sweep a Big Ten team. NCAA - and even a NIT berth - is much tougher to get. I’d love to get either next year, but I see one of those down the road 2 or three seasons.

Yes ....agree to a point

I think it’s imperative to not have bad losses ....that is the big killer. We get a lot of quad one and quad two chances in league ...especially with those extra two league games that most other programs down

As long as we are playing 3 of our 11 out of conference games against power five confronwnce teams AND the eight cupcakes...maybe half are against quad three...then it’s fine

here is a warning to RU fans.....

TCU 20-13 NET 52

SOS 45
OOC SOS 117

ROAD: 3-7

QUAD 1: 3-9...wins over Iowa State 2x, at Texas

QUAD 2: 6-4...wins over Florida, Texas, Baylor

NO bad losses, 11-0 vs Q3 and Q4

certainly not an overwhelming profile and do not really have a problem with them not getting a bid.

note Big 12 was top rated conference this year.

Now imagine a scenerio where RU beat Wisconsin 2x, beat Indiana 2x, beat Florida and Minnesota

now would you be pissed if RU got snubbed....

I think the SOS OOC needs to be upgraded. IF Pike thinks a NCAA run is possible next season, he needs to schedule accordingly. RU cannot be afraid and cannot rely just on conference play...I point to NC State with a 500 conference record and 22 wins and a hideous ooc sos of 353. Not all conference schedules end up being created equally, no guarantee the Big 10 schedule is a strong next season

RU cannot be afraid to schedule tough. We want to be with the big boys, you cannot shy away from competition

Its imperative for Hobbs to get this program in a neutral site major 8 school tourney for 2020-2021...AN ABSOLUTE MUST

RU's overall SOS finished 90

its non conference SOS was 312

need to upgrade that...even with one of the best seasons for the Big 10, it only brought the SOS overall to 90. I know people use Ken Pom or Sagarin but that is not what the NCAA uses, selection committee relies on NET and the sos is based on rpi

any Big 10 league game at the RAC vs teams 76-160 will be a Q3 game, any Big 10 league game away with teams 76-135 is a Quad 2 game

Umass at home next year is likely a Q4 unless they can get above 160..blech not good

52 weeks? More like 104 weeks or 156 weeks. For reasons stated by various posters, Rutgers still has a long way to go.

Minnesota finished with an overall SOS of 40 and a OOC SOS of 172 which is very middling..but for Rutgers getting their feet wet is something we should be trying to emulate...Its not a strong schedule but its the minimum of what we should be playing as a Big 10 school

Washington....Q1 neutral site
Texas A&M.....Q2 neutral site
Oklahoma St....Q2 neutral site...US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis...would be equivalent to RU playing at MSG or Pru Center

Minny played in a 8 team tourney..Wash/TexA&M/Santa Clara

Utah Q3
at BC Q3
Santa Clara neutral site Q3

they played 5 Q4s

Omaha
North Florida
Arkansas State
North Carolina A&T
Mount Saint Mary's

RU played...and note they played one less game overall than Minny because they were not in exempted tourney

at SHU Q1
St Johns Q2
at Miami Q2

Eastern Michigan Q3

6 Q4 games

at Fordham..LOSS brutal...note we played at a Q4 school...please never schedule a horrible program like Fordham again
Columbia
Drexel
Boston U
FDU
Maine

the SHU game next year will be a Quad 2 game unless SHU finishes in the top 30

Yes, i think we get our name called. NIT is my expectation and I hope for the NCAA's. We have 4 frosh that played significant minutes and if just two of them can make a big leap next year we would have a very strong starting five.

We may not have that one superstar, but we would have one of the deepest teams in the league. We can wear people down and get a lot of wins.

Free throws need to improve big time and another big man would be a huge help. I hope RHJ dad is right and he grows a couple more inches. He would be a dangerous 4 with his ability at that size.

I agree NIT more realistic. Yes we played a lot of first-timers and are young. But a lot of the Big Ten is young. We expect our young guys to improve but why won’t other Big Ten teams improve as well? We have to make hay in the OOC schedule next year - very important. No more Stony Brook, Hartford, Fordham losses or even Columbia squeekers - we just can’t afford them at this point in the build. And as mentioned above a strong OOC would help. Then NIT becomes realistic. And if we also do well in the Big Ten then let’s start dreaming about NCAA’s.

here is a warning to RU fans.....

TCU 20-13 NET 52

SOS 45
OOC SOS 117

ROAD: 3-7

QUAD 1: 3-9...wins over Iowa State 2x, at Texas

QUAD 2: 6-4...wins over Florida, Texas, Baylor

NO bad losses, 11-0 vs Q3 and Q4

certainly not an overwhelming profile and do not really have a problem with them not getting a bid.

note Big 12 was top rated conference this year.

Now imagine a scenerio where RU beat Wisconsin 2x, beat Indiana 2x, beat Florida and Minnesota

now would you be pissed if RU got snubbed....

I think the SOS OOC needs to be upgraded. IF Pike thinks a NCAA run is possible next season, he needs to schedule accordingly. RU cannot be afraid and cannot rely just on conference play...I point to NC State with a 500 conference record and 22 wins and a hideous ooc sos of 353. Not all conference schedules end up being created equally, no guarantee the Big 10 schedule is a strong next season

RU cannot be afraid to schedule tough. We want to be with the big boys, you cannot shy away from competition

Its imperative for Hobbs to get this program in a neutral site major 8 school tourney for 2020-2021...AN ABSOLUTE MUST

Bac

I have to admit that’s a big eye opener

The only thing against them is that they went 3-9 in quad...they had 12 chances. You got to to better

What was our break down this year ...I can’t find that data online...it’s got to be there

2-11 Quad 1.....at Iowa, at Penn State

6-4 Quad 2.....Nebraska, Indiana, at Miami, Minnesota, Ohio State at Northwestern

1-1 Quad 3

5-1 Quad 4

it is sort of screwy that PSU perhaps a little elevated at 50 as a 14-18 school. Minny, OSU probably better wins

so no shortage of opportunities for RU....8-15 vs Q1 and 2.....and its clear with the overall NET at 101, the Fordham loss was worth about 20 spots in the NET

RU isn't defined by any 1 game, there are 20+ conference games that are more important to the process and a potential bid of NIT or being on the bubble. The game in 2 years when RU is on the road again, will be the statement game...quality road win with mostly upperclassmen at that stage.

No one said they would be

You're making things up

I’d say no. But it would be great to look at the NCAA selection show then seek out the NIT seeds to see if Rutgers landed in either. That would be the type of interest and excitement I haven’t had this time of year in a decade or two.

I think people are looking at our season as a whole thing as opposed to 2 completely different seasons. Season 1 was the first half getting all the newcomers adjusted to high level D1 hoops. Season 2 was the second half as those newcomers were learning on the fly and constantly getting better - but not yet consistent.

If the same thing happens next year and everyone improves along the same lines, we will be a very tough out. Instead of being so green over the first 15 games, we'll be coming from a place of "been there, done that". We won't have chalked up so many losses to start the season.

The goal next year is .500 in conference and let the chips fall where they may on selection Sunday.

Maybe RU would have made the NIT this year if they had won two of the three close losses (Iowa, PSU, Illinois) and finished 16-15. After all, two 16-16 teams made the NIT and RU is a local team. With those two wins RU's ranking would have been better also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT