ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant Coach hire discussion

As does Hawk. He’s usually on-point with most of his info and IF pure “opinion” he makes that pretty clear.

So what's your point? So much of any message board is about opinions....and yes, Speculation.

And even tho we fans hope for a bright future and the trend is up....this is still a program in a 30 year tourney drought. So you pay to entice them or get an up and comer from MM. Once again....my opinion and some speculation.

So what's your point? So much of any message board is about opinions....and yes, Speculation.

And even tho we fans hope for a bright future and the trend is up....this is still a program in a 30 year tourney drought. So you pay to entice them or get an up and comer from MM. Once again....my opinion and some speculation.

“My point” is your comments to Hawk were a tad over-the-top and most definitive unwarranted. Pretty obvious I thought. Bottom line: he’s more connected than most AND a helluva lot more so than you appear to be so maybe listen to him when he’s not talking in opinions or speculations.

“My point” is your comments to Hawk were a tad over-the-top and most definitive unwarranted. Pretty obvious I thought.

You mean well over 100 candidates or that budget doesn't matter? Yeah, I questioned those...big deal. He's a big boy and from the Premium Board, he is used to people questioning his grandiose and long winded comments....lol

We apparently have the 3rd highest assistant salary pool in the B1G, as discussed in another thread. People should find something else to complain about.
That's the quote I was thinking of, thank you.

Done with NFL draft and NBA playoffs are on, so been away from board for awhile.

The numbers for all 3 assistant positions mentioned earlier in the thread were all incorrect and all 3 were too low. Jay Young's spot definitely wasn't 200K.

In any event, no one even knew Brandin Knight was off the road recruiting months ago, due to a surgery of some sort that resulted in him not traveling....Shoes filled in while thst happened.

I view this the same way....and to mention that we hired all 3 assistants when Pike was first hired in 3 weeks sounds about right, but we aren't starting from scratch with nothing in place....i don't see how that situation is compared to this, when it's clearly not the same thing.

Back to watching the games and following games on twitter and the Rock and Roll induction ceremony on HBO.

Done with NFL draft and NBA playoffs are on, so been away from board for awhile.

The numbers for all 3 assistant positions mentioned earlier in the thread were all incorrect and all 3 were too low. Jay Young's spot definitely wasn't 200K.

In any event, no one even knew Brandin Knight was off the road recruiting months ago, due to a surgery of some sort that resulted in him not traveling....Shoes filled in while thst happened.

I view this the same way....and to mention that we hired all 3 assistants when Pike was first hired in 3 weeks sounds about right, but we aren't starting from scratch with nothing in place....i don't see how that situation is compared to this, when it's clearly not the same thing.

Back to watching the games and following games on twitter and the Rock and Roll induction ceremony on HBO.

If no one knew about Shoes, they weren't paying attention 7 months or so ago.

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2018/10/04/rutgers-basketball-isaiah-cottrell/1517034002/

Reactions: DirtyRU and kcg88
Initial contracts....when Pikiell was hired. This is all public information that NJ dot com always publishes. When Pikiell was extended in 2018, they were all bumped up....there is also an article on that. I think the assistants got 5% raises.

A key first step was increasing the assistant coaches salary pool to the highest in school history for the men's basketball program, guaranteeing $800,000 for the three-man staff (which was a $220,000 increase from what deposed coach Eddie Jordan had to offer).

They come at a steep price compared to past Rutgers assistant staffs: both Karl Hobbs and Knight were given two-year deals worth $300,000 annually while Young was given a one-year deal worth $200,000.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/2016/04/a_look_at_what_rutgers_is_paying_its_assistant_bas.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolv RU and dpwhite
You are right....they either need to cut costs or increase revenue or forgo any stated goal of budget neutrailty.

Revenue is increasing. Also, I haven't looked at Pikiell's contract but it likely includes a minimum requirement for assistant pay, just like Ash's does.

Reactions: dkostus
I wonder why Hayn was filling in on the recruiting trail this time around instead of Shoes?

Initial contracts....when Pikiell was hired. This is all public information that NJ dot com always publishes. When Pikiell was extended in 2018, they were all bumped up....there is also an article on that. I think the assistants got 5% raises.

A key first step was increasing the assistant coaches salary pool to the highest in school history for the men's basketball program, guaranteeing $800,000 for the three-man staff (which was a $220,000 increase from what deposed coach Eddie Jordan had to offer).

They come at a steep price compared to past Rutgers assistant staffs: both Karl Hobbs and Knight were given two-year deals worth $300,000 annually while Young was given a one-year deal worth $200,000.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/2016/04/a_look_at_what_rutgers_is_paying_its_assistant_bas.html

That's what we call stale info.....i will assure you it's not accurate. Both Knight and Hobbs are well beyond 300K and so was Young.

The other "item" that most coaches around the country pass down to assistant coaches are camps. Every program or Head Coach has a camp during the summer....some like Duke have a camp for regular wealthy people for 3 to 5 days, where regular people get to go through the rigors of what a week is like for a Duke basketball player.

In these instances the Head Coach usually doesn't pocket the camp money although on paper it's more accounting than anything else. Typically those camp funds usually land with the assistants as an indirect thank you for all of their efforts. Those items go a long way.

The discussion is about who we hire and not about a lack of funds, which there's no merit or support for the notion that the one spot isn't filled because of lack of funds. I think it's a reasonably good guess that making the right hire here, supercedes making the fastest hire. I have seen assistant coaching jobs go all the way into mid June at other schools, some fiscal years dont end until June 30th or start on July 1st. There's a lot on the plate for whatever assistant comes here, family, kids in school perhaps, open sessions right now and the live period.

There are always commitments after the spring signing period, so there is no true deadline. I am certain that with 94% of the minutes played returning to the lineup, RU can be selective and focus on 2020 recruiting while keeping an eye on 2019.

Hawk, got a good chuckle at your "regular wealthy people" line. Great stuff. I appreciate your informative and detailed posts. Please keep up the good work.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
32 Days and counting

Although there was rumored to be information on the Premium Seton Hall that a candidate with local recruiting ties was interviewed this past weekend.

A specific assistant coach elsewhere did meet with Pike and my guess is would take the job. I don't know if he's what I would be considered the leader at this point, the information on this is really air tight.

Since landing Yeboah last week and the staff recently entered the race and offer for 2019 PF Hason Ward, the assistant coach talk ihas kinda been pushed back a bit.

I am still hopeful that Princeton assistant coach Brett McConnell is still on the radar for Pike, he knows the RU landscape and is one of the rumored candidates for the spot replacing Young.

A specific assistant coach elsewhere did meet with Pike and my guess is would take the job. I don't know if he's what I would be considered the leader at this point, the information on this is really air tight.

Since landing Yeboah last week and the staff recently entered the race and offer for 2019 PF Hason Ward, the assistant coach talk ihas kinda been pushed back a bit.

I am still hopeful that Princeton assistant coach Brett McConnell is still on the radar for Pike, he knows the RU landscape and is one of the rumored candidates for the spot replacing Young.
Hawk, would candidate one who met with Pike excite the fan base? Thanks.

My all purpose college coach hiring analysis:
Can they add to the Recruitment effort?
Everything else is secondary

Reactions: LC-88
At Rutgers Athletics, being disingenuous is big on the Richter scale of violations.

It’s not “cheating” but it’s shady. But less shady than all the stuff North Carolina and Duke do.

That is not cheating lol

To be clear - when Seton Hall and Willard did it? Blatant evidence of cheating.
I think we can all agree on that.

For Rutgers - I agree it would just be playing the game and not actually cheating.
Doubt we would ever get that close to the “line” though.

P.S. for the SHU fans: Yes this is a clear double standard. I don’t care. Sorry, not sorry.

To be clear - when Seton Hall and Willard did it? Blatant evidence of cheating.
I think we can all agree on that.

For Rutgers - I agree it would just be playing the game and not actually cheating.
Doubt we would ever get that close to the “line” though.

P.S. for the SHU fans: Yes this is a clear double standard. I don’t care. Sorry, not sorry.
Relationships are important in recruiting. Having said that, which in your mind is worse:

• Hiring a high school coach in order to get a highly sought after prospect.
  • Hiring a college coach in order to get a highly sought after prospect
  • Doing neither because you think it's "cheating" or too close to the "line" and continuing to miss the post season

Hawk, would candidate one who met with Pike excite the fan base? Thanks.

I only know of a couple of names but I don't believe that they're at a #1 assistant level like a Brandin Knight, that would make a serious splash in my opinion. The resumes of the names I believe are under consideration are, in my opinion, stronger than Jay Youngs resume at their stage of their career. That doesn't mean they are as experienced, but this position is now being viewed as a launchpoint towards becoming a Head Coach somewhere else down the road.

Relationships are important in recruiting. Having said that, which in your mind is worse:

• Doing neither because you think it's "cheating" or too close to the "line" and continuing to miss the post season

Russ, the local example for point one is Seton Hall agreeing to hire Tiny Morton, which probably got them Whitehead and Carrington...then led to Delgado jumping on board at Seton Hall.

Do you have some examples of your 2nd point? Which programs can you think of that hired a college assistant coach to get a highly sought after recruit or recruits? Other than Michael Porter Sr.

Russ, the local example for point one is Seton Hall agreeing to hire Tiny Morton, which probably got them Whitehead and Carrington...then led to Delgado jumping on board at Seton Hall.

Do you have some examples of your 2nd point? Which programs can you think of that hired a college assistant coach to get a highly sought after recruit or recruits? Other than Michael Porter Sr.
My second point happens all of the time. Even happens at, brace yourself, Rutgers.

David Cox was hired by Rutgers, in part, because of his ties to the DC Assault program in the hopes of landing some of their prospects. It took a while but Wally Judge transferred to RU.

My second point happens all of the time. Even happens at, brace yourself, Rutgers.

David Cox was hired by Rutgers, in part, because of his ties to the DC Assault program in the hopes of landing some of their prospects. It took a while but Wally Judge transferred to RU.

Okay, I get it. Also, Mike Rice hired Van Macon because of his NYC recruiting ties. I thought you meant a specific coach to get a specific big time recruit.

You are describing the “minor” issues with college basketball. Everyone has their hand out.

Sorry, (1) and (2) are not comparable at all. When you are hiring a college assistant coach you are conceivably hiring a qualified candidate for that job who has more responsibilities than simply delivering a single player. There's a big difference in hiring an actual college coach with recruiting "connections" and the purely transactional nature of bribing an unqualified high school coach to deliver a single player. Whether it's actually in the player's best interest or he is benefiting from this transaction is irrelevant although in Whitehead's case evidently he did benefit financially at least in some way.

Larry Brown hiring Ed Manning as an assistant to flip Danny Manning from NC State to Kansas is an example of someone who was an actually a college assistant (I think anyway) who was blatantly hired to deliver a single player.

Sorry, (1) and (2) are not comparable at all. When you are hiring a college assistant coach you are conceivably hiring a qualified candidate for that job who has more responsibilities than simply delivering a single player. There's a big difference in hiring an actual college coach with recruiting "connections" and the purely transactional nature of bribing an unqualified high school coach to deliver a single player. Whether it's actually in the player's best interest or he is benefiting from this transaction is irrelevant although in Whitehead's case evidently he did benefit financially at least in some way.

Larry Brown hiring Ed Manning as an assistant to flip Danny Manning from NC State to Kansas is an example of someone who was an actually a college assistant (I think anyway) who was blatantly hired to deliver a single player.
It depends on the individual Coach.

Some high school coaches are qualified for an assistant Coach job at the D1 level and would bring in kids. Almost any of the head coaches in the New England Prep School League, the head coaches at DeMatha, Montverde Academy, Oak Hill (I could go on).

Memphis hired Penny Hardaway because of his relationships with top talent in Memphis (basically top talent in Tennessee) and because he can coach.

What Kansas did to get Danny Manning was smart. They won a national championship.

How do you guys feel about a HC instructing a recruit to stop attending HS so he can flunk and have to attend a Prep School so his recruitment reopens when the school he signs with won't let him out of his LOI ?

One of the most famous was James Harden, Arizona St put his high school coach on the staff. They also gave a scholarship to one of Harden's HS teammates/buddy.

How do you guys feel about a HC instructing a recruit to stop attending HS so he can flunk and have to attend a Prep School so his recruitment reopens when the school he signs with won't let him out of his LOI ?

Whoa. That's next level.
Very nice.

Wouldn't the kid have to reclassify to the following year though?
Seems like it could be a tough sell to the HS kid - wait out a year just so you can come to my school.

Whoa. That's next level.
Very nice.

Wouldn't the kid have to reclassify to the following year though?
Seems like it could be a tough sell to the HS kid - wait out a year just so you can come to my school.

Guess where it happened ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT