ADVERTISEMENT

ATTITUDE ERA: Sore Loser Youth Wrestler Sucker Punches Opponent After Loss

So the Alicea kid still got a trophy for getting his punk ass kicked? Over the years there have been many of these cowards who eventually get their comeuppance . The parents or guardian of Alicea should make him apologize . The school and state should ban him from future sports in particular wrestling.

Low class and degenerate. Hopefully this is an isolated incident for the kid. Unfortunately, events like this are what will make the news, not the 99.99% who learn to deal with a loss and treat their opponent with respect.

Reactions: Tango Two
The kid deserves to be called out and have consequences for those actions. He literally could have killed that other wrestler had the punch landed on the temporal area.

I have a little different take on this...

This was a Beat The Streets Developmental tourney. This kid's background is unknown to us, and were it known, would probably be foreign to a lot of us. For all we know, he could be living with a single, ineffective parent, or could be in the foster care system. He may not get three squares a day, may not have a bed to sleep on, or may be trying to raise his brothers and sisters himself. He may be surrounded by people continually trying to lead him down the wrong path. He may not have a figure in his life to teach him right from wrong. My wife teaches here in central PA, and sees this stuff all the time, let alone Chicago.

None of this is an excuse. There needs to be consequences. But, if those things above are going on, and if wrestling is this kids way to escape it, by all means don't toss him from it for life. And, I hope like hell that there's someone that can put an arm around him and say, "You're being punished, here's why, and I'm going to help you do better next time." Then, keep him interested in the sport during that period.

Public Apology - DQ from tournament - Ban from meets for 1 year - 2nd offense ban for life. No place in the world today for actions like this.

This was a Beat The Streets Developmental tourney. This kid's background is unknown to us, and were it known, would probably be foreign to a lot of us. For all we know, he could be living with a single, ineffective parent, or could be in the foster care system. He may not get three squares a day, may not have a bed to sleep on, or may be trying to raise his brothers and sisters himself. He may be surrounded by people continually trying to lead him down the wrong path. He may not have a figure in his life to teach him right from wrong. My wife teaches here in central PA, and sees this stuff all the time, let alone Chicago.

None of this is an excuse. There needs to be consequences. But, if those things above are going on, and if wrestling is this kids way to escape it, by all means don't toss him from it for life. And, I hope like hell that there's someone that can put an arm around him and say, "You're being punished, here's why, and I'm going to help you do better next time." Then, keep him interested in the sport during that period.
Barf. I don't care about his background - and your scenario is made up from racial stereotypes. Same rules apply to everyone and same consequences should too. I'd ban him from wrestling. Next time? No, it could be worse. Trigger the SJW's (hmmm, wonder who).

So it’s an excuse… there is No excuse for a 14-15 year old to do that in any case. He knows right from wrong just as you probably did. Or are you saying he comes from a dysfunctional home life? I guarantee no one in that school system would admit he showed any signs of behavioral problems.That’s what this country has become from top to bottom … excuse accepters.

If wrestling is supposed to be his escape and he’s assaulting people then he needs a different escape.

You don’t get to use a single parent home excuse in the real world. No one cares.

I don’t want to hear the learning right from wrong nonsense either. If you don’t know cold clocking someone in the face is wrong then you need to be spending your time in places other than a wrestling room.

I appreciate a different point of view and while yes, he may have had some difficulties while growing up, but there aren't any scenarios which would justify his actions. I'll go one step even further, if the kid didn't know better and didn't have good parental guidance, then it falls on the coach. In my high school, my coach could have been substituted for my father. I lived, ate, and breathed wrestling. He was a mentor and served as a defacto father for many of my teammates. My coach gave me guidance and direction in life which I might not have ever received. Multiple layers of failure here. Family, self, coach. This kid either turns himself around or he will show up in the media for the wrong reasons in the future.

I appreciate a different point of view and while yes, he may have had some difficulties while growing up, but there aren't any scenarios which would justify his actions. I'll go one step even further, if the kid didn't know better and didn't have good parental guidance, then it falls on the coach. In my high school, my coach could have been substituted for my father. I lived, ate, and breathed wrestling. He was a mentor and served as a defacto father for many of my teammates. My coach gave me guidance and direction in life which I might not have ever received. Multiple layers of failure here. Family, self, coach. This kid either turns himself around or he will show up in the media for the wrong reasons in the future.
Don’t put this on the coach. No coach in the country has to sit his players down and say guys we can’t punch people in the face.

The fault falls entirely on the wrestler. Don’t blame others for his impulsive decision.

Don’t put this on the coach. No coach in the country has to sit his players down and say guys we can’t punch people in the face.

The fault falls entirely on the wrestler. Don’t blame others for his impulsive decision.
I can absolutely pin part of it on a coach based on my experience. Coaches help wrestlers win or lose with dignity. Our coach took boys with shaky family backgrounds and/or weak father presences, provided a father figure to them, helped shape them into responsible young men, and helped promote them to be respectable figures on and off the mat. If coaches are out there to only instruct proper takedown techniques, defensive tactics, etc. they are doing a disservice to boys who need guidance and often times a strong male presence to help shape them into men who will treat others and their communities with respect. My coach ranks in the top three and maybe two of the most influential males in my lifetime..possibly surpassing my own father. Looking back, I said it will fall on the coach. I retract that, and say some of it falls on the coach. Maybe not even guiding thenwrestler to be a better person, but even allowing this kid on the mat if there were other instances such as this one.

Barf. I don't care about his background - and your scenario is made up from racial stereotypes. Same rules apply to everyone and same consequences should too. I'd ban him from wrestling. Next time? No, it could be worse. Trigger the SJW's (hmmm, wonder who).
My scenario is made up from listening to my wife come home after teaching kids who were adjuticated to be in the school she was teaching in. They were there for all kinds of reasons.

Here's a real-life scenario. She taught a middle schooler who was in that school for selling drugs. His Dad was in jail, his Mom was ****ed up on drugs, so he was being raised by his grandmother. The grandmother was encouraging him to sell the drugs that he got in trouble for. You know why? Because she was skimming off the top to feed her habit. Not a piece of that story is made up from any stereotypes.

So, where is a kid like that supposed to get his morals, his understanding of what is right or wrong? For all you know, this is his third week of wrestling and his first match ever. How do you know this kid, a part of BTS, which is introducing inner city youth to the sport of wrestling didn't have that kind of background? I'll guarantee you that this wasn't some entitled, rich kid from the local private school. If it was, I'd be the one calling for the ban.

Yeah, and toss him out of wrestling, which could be the only avenue he has for turning himself around, and you increase the odds of his life turning south.

My scenario is made up from listening to my wife come home after teaching kids who were adjuticated to be in the school she was teaching in. They were there for all kinds of reasons.

Here's a real-life scenario. She taught a middle schooler who was in that school for selling drugs. His Dad was in jail, his Mom was ****ed up on drugs, so he was being raised by his grandmother. The grandmother was encouraging him to sell the drugs that he got in trouble for. You know why? Because she was skimming off the top to feed her habit. Not a piece of that story is made up from any stereotypes.

So, where is a kid like that supposed to get his morals, his understanding of what is right or wrong? For all you know, this is his third week of wrestling and his first match ever. How do you know this kid, a part of BTS, which is introducing inner city youth to the sport of wrestling didn't have that kind of background? I'll guarantee you that this wasn't some entitled, rich kid from the local private school. If it was, I'd be the one calling for the ban.
And guess what. If that kid was of age and caught by the police, he would go to jail. “My dad is in jail and my mom is a crackhead” isn’t a defense that is going to work.

Crappy situation for the kid but there are consequences for actions. Having a tough background doesn’t mean you can knock people out. A wrestlers right to safely compete in a wrestling match doesn’t end because his opponents dad didn’t hug him.

Got it. So if he was a rich kid he should be banned but if a poor kid he deserves our sympathy. Makes total sense.
Yeah, statistics would say that the rich kid has had a stable, two-parent household, which has taught him right from wrong, as opposed to a kid likely from the streets of Chicago, who has known nothing but survival from the get-go. If you want to call it sympathy, okay, but I'll call it a second chance.

So it’s an excuse… there is No excuse for a 14-15 year old to do that in any case. He knows right from wrong just as you probably did. Or are you saying he comes from a dysfunctional home life? I guarantee no one in that school system would admit he showed any signs of behavioral problems.That’s what this country has become from top to bottom … excuse accepters.
The school system? Recently 55 public schools in Chicago were found to have ZERO proficiency in either math or reading. Do you expect that those schools are proficient in being replacements for absentee parents?

The school system? Recently 55 public schools in Chicago were found to have ZERO proficiency in either math or reading. Do you expect that those schools are proficient in being replacements for absentee parents?
Right, the schools with permissive attitudes are failing along with the kids. Maybe send them more money? The same kids that are robbing stores and getting away with it because of the same attitudes as yours. Walmart said no more. Please keep them off the mat and put the responsibility back on the parents where it belongs.

Right, the schools with permissive attitudes are failing along with the kids. Maybe send them more money? The same kids that are robbing stores and getting away with it because of the same attitudes as yours. Walmart said no more. Please keep them off the mat and put the responsibility back on the parents where it belongs.
If the parents exist.

Got another one...
My Gawd, how many times did she hit her? I stopped counting at 19. Well, same deal, ban from wrestling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT