ADVERTISEMENT

Aundre Hyatt weighing reclassification, talks top schools

RU-Choppin-Ohio

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2011
He’s still weighing going to college in 2018 or ’19 and said he will decide “probably in the spring.”

He broke down several of his top schools:

Rutgers: “Rutgers just wants me to jump in and enjoy the program. They said they’ll take me in either ’18 or ’19. It doesn’t matter. They just want a shooter.”

Seton Hall: “Seton Hall basically says the same thing. We need a wing that can shoot it. That’s why they’re recruiting me.”

Florida State: “They reached out and offered me, so did Virginia Tech. They said that they need a wing shooter as well and I should improve on my defense.”

Virginia Tech: “They said they need someone to replace Chris Clarke and I could be their guy. They need a shooter to space the floor.”

LSU: “LSU said that they really need a shooter bad to help out the program because they don’t really have that good of wings. They’re going to have a good 2018 class. And they said I could be really good in the 2019

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/01/03/aundre-hyatt-weighing-reclassification-talks-top-schools/

Reactions: biazza38
dennishopper1.jpg

Hyatt is exactly what we need. He's great on the offensive end and if there's anybody I trust to get the most out of him defensively it's Pikiell.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Sounds like he's intrigued by lsu

LSU won't have room for him in 2018, I believe. Since this article was published (Jan 3), LSU signed 4* Emmitt Williams.

Our best shot at landing Hyatt is him reclassifying back to 2018.

I believe Florida State landed another 2019 Top 150 Forward last week....I am not saying that takes them out of contention for Hyatt, because he can still stay in the 2019 class....but this player for FSU was a 2019 recruit.....LSU also landed another stud in 2018 at the SF/PF position, so while they are piling up talent, I'm not quite sure LSU makes as much sense with that other commit back in January

All the others mentioned in Zags article all clearly have room for 2019, the question is how many of them really have room for this spring for 2018 (schools are full on paper like RU, but clearly all schools have expected attrition)........if he is deciding this spring regardless of the class, that would help RU tremendously vs being a summer decision, which would keep a lot of schools interested and others jumping in as we move forward.

Hyatt is exactly what we need. He's great on the offensive end and if there's anybody I trust to get the most out of him defensively it's Pikiell.

Fixed it for you (FIFY)

Hyatt is exactly what we need. He's great on the offensive end and if there's anybody I trust to get the most out of him defensively it's Jay Young.

Don't be surprised if some elite schools get involved if Hyatt decides to be a 2018 recruit .Shooters are always highly desired to fill roster openings.

Don't be surprised if some elite schools get involved if Hyatt decides to be a 2018 recruit .Shooters are always highly desired to fill roster openings.

highly unlikely.....most elite schools already have their recruiting boards filled up and are set, even with attrition sometimes happening.......and kids that are at that position for most schools are set....it's the rare situation where RU rarely lands that two way Small Forward, where most schools seeming land that player every year, especially the blue bloods.

As an example, 2 years ago, Kentucky had one of their usual banner classes and SF Charles Matthews was essentially nudged out by just some better players at the SF position...He was by no means a bad player, just too much duplication at the position by Calipari....Matthews decided to transfer and landed at all places.....Michigan....with Beilein....most fans here would never assume a program at the caliber of Michigan would take a transfer, but if an elite blue blood over-recruits, you have fall out.

Same thing happened to James Palmer Jr at Miami....too many of the same type of player recruited over and over and there aren't minutes or opportunities to go around....he lands at Nebraska as a sit out transfer and evolves to make Nebraska an also ran to NCAA caliber/bubble team.

Copeland left GTown for Nebraska, not enough minutes there, lands at Nebraska....there are enough storylines to fill the day, but a player like Hyatt can almost pick any school that jumps in late, if he or the folks around him get intrigued.......the question is does it really make sense to do so??

The likelihood of playing on a winning team which also includes NCAA Tournament participation are factors that any highly rated recruit would include in choosing a school.Rutgers inability to attract shooters/scorers at most positions clearly has negatively impacted the won/loss record.

The possibility of getting a kid like this to come to RU is why someone like Tavon Jones from Linden will probably not get an offer until very late in the process. Most likely it would be too late.

I don't make comments on kids I haven't seen play but in this era of transfers and guys leaving early who shouldn't what a roster looks like in February could be dramatically different in June.

I don't make comments on kids I haven't seen play but in this era of transfers and guys leaving early who shouldn't what a roster looks like in February could be dramatically different in June.

I agree with TD Irish. It is way too early to predict which schools will have openings at the end of the season.

This kid next year and Corey return will have sanders, geo, Mathis and Hyatt

I’ll take my chances with this ...

We are the only team on that list we a Brand New State of the Art Practice Facility opening in the summer of 2019.

I do not believe Hyatt is at all serious about Seton Hall. If he decides to return home (Mt. Vernon, NY) RU is the place he would go. That said, it is still a long shot. He has vacillated a great deal regarding reclassification. That is not a knock on him. He and his father have been carefully considering the various options. He and his father respect the RU staff a great deal. There are things about RU they like. He is potentially going to have a number of options in 2018 that are stronger basketball environments than RU. He will have a boatload of elite programs seeking his services in 2019. We have a punchers shot due to the staff's efforts. Long shot, but we are still hanging in there.

Reactions: bac2therac
Why wouldn't a kid look at us and not see TONS of playing time? Is he that good that a "stronger basketball environment" outweighs court time? It's not like we have a toxic coach, no facilities and play either CYOs or Tulane and East Carolina

Would be nice if a kid was a leader and not a follower. Set an example is that better?

Last edited:
I do not believe Hyatt is at all serious about Seton Hall. If he decides to return home (Mt. Vernon, NY) RU is the place he would go. That said, it is still a long shot. He has vacillated a great deal regarding reclassification. That is not a knock on him. He and his father have been carefully considering the various options. He and his father respect the RU staff a great deal. There are things about RU they like. He is potentially going to have a number of options in 2018 that are stronger basketball environments than RU. He will have a boatload of elite programs seeking his services in 2019. We have a punchers shot due to the staff's efforts. Long shot, but we are still hanging in there.
At some point, getting this type of kid will be a must. We’re getting the facilities, we have the coaching staff....no more excuses for these kids.

I am talking since I am old Jeff Ruland going to Iona over Kentucky. Did not go to the Blue Blood. yes be a leader.

The likelihood of playing on a winning team which also includes NCAA Tournament participation are factors that any highly rated recruit would includ
e in choosing a school.Rutgers inability to attract shooters/scorers at most positions clearly has negatively impacted the won/loss record.

I'm going to go out even farther on the extremely short limb on which you've placed yourself and say RU' s inability to attract talent has negatively impacted RU in every single sport we play - as well as every single other school which loses games on occasion.

Reactions: NewJerseyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT