ADVERTISEMENT

Austin DeSanto would fit in nicely on the Rutgers wrestling team

I rematched the last minute of his NCAA tourney match against Micic. I get not judging someone on the worst they've ever done but that was, what's the word, horrific? Just a ridiculous, insane last 20 or so seconds starting with the swipe/punch.
Anybody have thoughts or an explanation of how our guys will feel comfortable wrestling against him in practice?

i saw him wrestle plenty. kids make mistakes, and his only mistake was that antic against micic. he'll be fine at rutgers.

I still think distance from Exeter, PA is going to come into play here. We're talking over 17 hrs. to Iowa an entire weekend trip as opposed to 3 hrs. a day trip to RU.

2.5 hours to Rutgers from the Eastern portion of the Reading, PA area.

Last edited:
Don't they have airports in Philly and Iowa? [winking]

Yes. But, you have to drive to an airport in PA then sit and wait for a flight from there. Then, in many cases touchdown in a city outside of Iowa, before getting to Iowa either by car or a 2nd flight after sitting and waiting at the 2nd airport.

2.5 hour drive is a heck of a lot easier and cheaper.

I rematched the last minute of his NCAA tourney match against Micic. I get not judging someone on the worst they've ever done but that was, what's the word, horrific? Just a ridiculous, insane last 20 or so seconds starting with the swipe/punch.
Anybody have thoughts or an explanation of how our guys will feel comfortable wrestling against him in practice?
If I were the staff, I would require DeSanto to apologize to Micic for that, if he hasn't done so already. Just poor on so many levels. I cringe at the thought of it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Yes. But, you have to drive to an airport in PA then sit and wait for a flight from there. Then, in many cases touchdown in a city outside of Iowa, before getting to Iowa either by car or a 2nd flight after sitting and waiting at the 2nd airport.

Did you happen to notice the smiley face?

i saw him wrestle plenty. kids make mistakes, and his only mistake was that antic against micic. he'll be fine at rutgers.
I was able to watch him quite a bit this season as well and the Micic match was just the worst example, but there were a few other instances throughout the season where he displayed poor sportsmanship in losses or close matches. Nothing like what happened at NCAAs, but certainly enough to create a pattern of behavior. But, I'm not making a judgment on whether or not he should come here, just think it's important to point out the history.

Last edited:
Personally, I’m going to trust R coaches on this decision. Coaches will figure out the tolerance levels and appropriate responses. RU has a fantastic autism program and the coaches (& DeSanto) will certainly have the support and guidance should the need arise. It can be a great learning experience, a win-win, for everyone involved. Worse case scenario, DeSanto will be disciplined as certain actions will not, and should not, be tolerated anywhere he goes. #InRUCoachesITrust

Go RU!
Diane

Personally, I’m going to trust R coaches on this decision. Coaches will figure out the tolerance levels and appropriate responses. RU has a fantastic autism program and the coaches (& DeSanto) will certainly have the support and guidance should the need arise. It can be a great learning experience, a win-win, for everyone involved. Worse case scenario, DeSanto will be disciplined as certain actions will not, and should not, be tolerated anywhere he goes.
#InRUCoachesITrust
Go RU!

Had no idea what a great program RU has for students/adults with Autism. They are also adding a new program in the fall of 2018.

https://news.rutgers.edu/news-relea...r-support-adults-autism/20151102#.WtZYTxZOmEd

Reactions: rondi
I was able to watch him quit a bit this season as well and the Micic match was just the worst
O the power of leaving just one letter out can sometimes change the whole dynamic of the statement you're trying to convey. When I first read it belushijo, I thought did this kid really quit during matches? Cause boy, the few times I watched him the kid seemed like the Energizer Bunny on cocaine.:)

Exactly, Fox! A great support system would be right there at the coaches’ (& DeSanto’s) disposal. Seems to me that DeSanto has the best chance of succeeding on and off the mat at RU given that level of support. Win-win.

Go RU!
Diane

That may be, but I'd be more concerned about deer at either SCE or Homan. How in the world did you come up with Homan, anyway? I had to look it up to see what it even was.
Keeping you on your toes. Besides I thought that's where all you bigwig's landed your private jets? Only the common folk fly into University Park.

I was able to watch him quit a bit this season as well and the Micic match was just the worst example, but there were a few other instances throughout the season where he displayed poor sportsmanship in losses or close matches. Nothing like what happened at NCAAs, but certainly enough to create a pattern of behavior. But, I'm not making a judgment on whether or not he should come here, just think it's important to point out the history.

I must've missed some of those matches. Poor sportsmanship is something we as RU fans overlook a lot - plenty of our guys need to improve on this, so I thought DeSanto would fit right in. Frankly, I just think it's a rough NJ/Eastern style of wrestling.

All I know is our coaching staff wants him very badly, for he'll AA at least 2x if not all 3x. I think he'll be a huge upgrade at 141lb, and with the right support around him, he'll flourish. Hope he chooses to come to RU.

O the power of leaving just one letter out can sometimes change the whole dynamic of the statement you're trying to convey. When I first read it belushijo, I thought did this kid really quit during matches? Cause boy, the few times I watched him the kid seemed like the Energizer Bunny on cocaine.:)
Whoops!

I must've missed some of those matches. Poor sportsmanship is something we as RU fans overlook a lot - plenty of our guys need to improve on this, so I thought DeSanto would fit right in. Frankly, I just think it's a rough NJ/Eastern style of wrestling.

All I know is our coaching staff wants him very badly, for he'll AA at least 2x if not all 3x. I think he'll be a huge upgrade at 141lb, and with the right support around him, he'll flourish. Hope he chooses to come to RU.

Do you know for sure that the staff wants him really badly? Or, are you just speculating? You may be right, just curious whether you know this based on reliable intel.

Do you know for sure that the staff wants him really badly? Or, are you just speculating? You may be right, just curious whether you know this based on reliable intel.

Isn't this obvious? DeSanto was on a visit to RU last weekend. If we are not recruiting him hard, and he didn't have a strong interest in us, he wouldn't be near the campus.

Reactions: RickB113
Isn't this obvious? DeSanto was on a visit to RU last weekend. If we are not recruiting him hard, and he didn't have a strong interest in us, he wouldn't be near the campus.

Sometimes the "selling" on an official visit cuts both ways. Its not like football.... both sides are likely seeing if it is a good fit for them.

Sometimes the "selling" on an official visit cuts both ways. Its not like football.... both sides are likely seeing if it is a good fit for them.

If we have someone else of DeSanto's caliber coming in for a visit, I'd buy it, but we don't have a good alternative for 141lb. I understand we have MVB, but he is not in the same level as DeSanto.

If we have someone else of DeSanto's caliber coming in for a visit, I'd buy it, but we don't have a good alternative for 141lb. I understand we have MVB, but he is not in the same level as DeSanto.

I hear what you are saying, and certainly talent is by far the most important thing, but there are other factors that get taken into account when you take someone one, especially with a scholarship offer.

Iowa City Airport
Mobile-Home-Plane--18182.jpg

I hear what you are saying, and certainly talent is by far the most important thing, but there are other factors that get taken into account when you take someone one, especially with a scholarship offer.
It’s pretty clear as day having DeSanto join us would elevate our program.. 3 more years to contend for AA status.. yeah he’s a risk blah blah w.e. Decision is in DeSanto’s hand now where he goes and would be damn exciting if he chose RU

Who else do you consider a poor sport?

Yea, how dare you call out a school who allowed boy rape to happen over a period of decades? Shame on you!
What does that whole saga have to do with the current wrestling program or anything to do with the current discussion? It's usually a last resort for those who have nothing left to add to the conversation or are too intellectually challenged to come up with anything else. Which are you?

Last edited:
What does that whole saga have to do with the current wrestling program or anything to do with the current discussion? It's usually a last resort for those who have nothing left to add to the conversation or are too intellectually challenged to come up with anything else. Which are you?

Yeah, I don’t see the relevance either and I’m no PSU supporter.

Some athletes display poorer sportsmanship than others. We can't expect robotic behavior from everyone no matter how hard we as a society are working for it

Wrestling used to have a lot more of it actually.. it's tamed down quite a bit

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT