ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Williams Visiting RU

HS Class of 2017
He had a huge run to get Hartford to NCAA tournament 29-11-25-20 points over their 4 game conf tourney - with 15 rebounds in one game too- and scored 19 vs Baylor in their first-round loss in 2021

Listed at 6'4" 200lbs - excellent size
He's also familiar with much of our out of conference comp - Hartford played - CCSU, UMass-Lowell, Fairfield

Last edited:

Transfer from Hartford to FIU last year, did not play 1 game.

Sounds like a good fit, weird there is nothing on why he didn't play last year.

Last edited:

Transfer from Hartford to FIU last year, did not play 1 game.

Sounds like a good fit, weird there is nothing on why he didn't play last year.
Injury

Last edited:
All indications that this is a good pickup despite the numbers. I’ll take the mods words over the negative nancies who know nothing and just assume based on numbers. 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️
Negative Nancy's lol.

The game has evolved into a 3 point shooting match and Rutgers needs 3 point shooters. Fernandez hasn't shot enough to show whether he can do it consistently so you're going to depend on a Frosh alone?

Negative Nancy's lol.

The game has evolved into a 3 point shooting match and Rutgers needs 3 point shooters. Fernandez hasn't shot enough to show whether he can do it consistently so you're going to depend on a Frosh alone?
I don't think we're getting a guy like him, who is also a high 30's-40 something 3 point shooter
Take him
Get another guy who is that shooter, but not the player this guy is otherwise
Trust Pike to mix and match appropriately

31% from 3 the past 2 seasons and 2.0 Assists vs 2.56 TO's for his career.

Yes, I'm being that guy.
A different way to look at that is he has been a much better shooter than Caleb or Simpson and just a little better than Hyatt or Mag - that's 3 of our top 5 (and 4 of top 7) three points shooters last season by attempts

IOW - he would have been better than any of the regulars last year other than Cam or Paul.

Reactions: Scangg
HS Class of 2017
He had a huge run to get Hartford to NCAA tournament 29-11-25-20 points over their 4 game conf tourney - with 15 rebounds in one game too- and scored 19 vs Baylor in their first-round loss in 2021

Listed at 6'4" 200lbs - excellent size
He's also familiar with much of our out of conference comp - Hartford played - CCSU, UMass-Lowell, Fairfield
Won AEC tournament MVP that year and is a two time all 1st Team All AEC player.

I remember that first round game from the covid tournament in Indianapolis. Scored 19 on 7-14 from the field.

31% from 3 the past 2 seasons and 2.0 Assists vs 2.56 TO's for his career.

Yes, I'm being that guy.
I get it. But any signing at this date is viewed as more of a depth player. I would hope that fans have realistic expectations. I think everyone can agree that we need another guard.

Reactions: knightfan7
Obviously haven't watched him at all but going off the commentary from the recent TKR podcast:

I'm not too optimistic.
They said he was a scorer primarily through getting to the hoop and backing down/posting up.
Those aren't two skills that easily translate up against bigger, faster, stronger players.
Bad 3pt shooter and FT shooter as well?
Cam was an elite shooter - as long as he was able to get his shot off - it was the same regardless of the opponent.
Shooting translates up.
But even then - he wasn't always able to get his shot off like in the CAA.

Williams as a bench player - sure. We appear to have limited options at this point.
Williams as a potential starter? I wouldn't expect much of an upgrade over the current roster.

Haven't watched the Baylor game but looked through the box score and play by play quickly.
24pt blowout
7-14 shooting (2-6 from 3)
3-3 FT
19pts
Every 2pt basket was a layup

1st half: 2-6 (1-2 from 3)
Both basket within the first 6min of the game. Then nothing. While the game was close - Baylor seems to have shut him (and the entire team) down.

2nd half: 5-8 (1-4 from 3)
Didn't score in the 1st 10min of the 2nd half
Scored 14 of 19 points with under 10min left in the game when it was a blowout.

Obviously it's a 1 seed against a 16 seed so personally I wouldn't be inclined to take anything at all from the game - positive or negative.

Should we be on commit alert as he decides to come home to play in front of his family and friends?

Obviously haven't watched him at all but going off the commentary from the recent TKR podcast:

I'm not too optimistic.
They said he was a scorer primarily through getting to the hoop and backing down/posting up.
Those aren't two skills that easily translate up against bigger, faster, stronger players.
Cam was an elite shooter - as long as he was able to get his shot off - it was the same regardless of the opponent.
Shooting translates up.

Williams as a bench player - sure. We appear to have limited options at this point.
Williams as a potential starter? I wouldn't expect much of an upgrade over the current roster.

Haven't watched the Baylor game but looked through the box score and play by play quickly.
24pt blowout
3-3 FT
19pts

Both basket within the first 6min of the game. Then nothing. While the game was close - Baylor seems to have shut him (and the entire team) down.

Obviously it's a 1 seed against a 16 seed so personally I wouldn't be inclined to take anything at all from the game - positive or negative.

Williams in a side by side comparison is better than Spencer....not sure what stats look like, but watching both players on tape, Williams is better.

One player can start the offense, one could not.

One player could create his own shot 1 on 1, the other requires screens to be set in order for them to score.

One player plays better individual defense.

Williams is more likely to fit how we want to play in a faster tempo vs Spencer.

Spencer is just a different player, who's better suited as the 4th or 5th scoring option, with playmakers around him. He already had a full season at this level last year and was inconsistent. The standard for replacing him, is being overblown a bit.

Williams in a side by side comparison is better than Spencer....not sure what stats look like, but watching both players on tape, Williams is better.

One player could create his own shot 1 on 1, the other requires screens to be set in order for them to score.

Williams is more likely to fit how we want to play in a faster tempo vs Spencer.

Spencer is just a different player, who's better suited as the 4th or 5th scoring option, with playmakers around him. He already had a full season at this level last year and was inconsistent. The standard for replacing him, is being overblown a bit.
How about this side by side comparison:
The level of teams trying to get each of them and the amount of NIL money they will get?
Honestly, you keep quadrupling down on anti-Cam takes and these takes hurt your credibility. (But I’m wasting my breath because I know you don’t care.)
The defending champs wanted Cam and he will start for them! Plus other top 25 programs wanted Cam. As a starter!

I'm not too optimistic.
Shooting translates up.

24pt blowout
3-3 FT
19pts

This is silly over analyzing. The staff is probably not looking at him as a starter but more depth that probably fits within our current NIL budget.

How about this side by side comparison:
The level of teams trying to get each of them and the amount of NIL money they will get?
Honestly, you keep quadrupling down on anti-Cam takes and these takes hurt your credibility. (But I’m wasting my breath because I know you don’t care.)
The defending champs wanted Cam and he will start for them! Plus other top 25 programs wanted Cam. As a starter!
Spencer was the number one scoring option for Rutgers.Without him Rutgers would have a losing season.UConn taking him is all you need to know as to his value as a basketball player.

Spencer was the number one scoring option for Rutgers.Without him Rutgers would have a losing season.UConn taking him is all you need to know as to his value as a basketball player.
And again, no one is looking at this recruit as a replacement for Spencer. One poster made that nutty assertion. Just trying to fortify the guard spot here.

This is silly over analyzing. The staff is probably not looking at him as a starter but more depth that probably fits within our current NIL budget.

I may have misunderstood TKR podcast but the staff is looking for a starter for next to Fernandes.

Reactions: superfan01
And again, no one is looking at this recruit as a replacement for Spencer. One poster made that nutty assertion. Just trying to fortify the guard spot here.

I wasn't even trying say Williams is a Cam replacement.
Just referencing his skill set as being able to "transfer up" since they are both coming from a lower level.

Not really sure where the huge Cam takedown came from.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
With Gavin, Noah and Derek getting 80-85 Minutes at the 1, 2, and 3, and a other 10 minutes a game for either Mawot or Aundre at the three …fheee is 25-30 minutes a game to Share between Davis and a swingman off the bench from the poetal

This is a perfect Additiok

Plus …a seton hall prep kid…I’m sure knight and therefore pike knows what he is

Yes please

I can’t imagine we are getting better than the two kids considering us. Let’s take them both at this point. The Iowa State transfer just seems to be looking for a landing spot. Not overly concerned about PT from his comments. Even if he’s not eligible would be a perfectly fine practice body. We have 3 schollies officially right? Save the last one for that “dream” Curry replica.

Very, very poor evaluation of Spencer.

You can’t be serious ???

Zero chance Williams is a starter for us this season. If he is, we’re in a large amount of trouble.

I’m going to guess that if he commits the answer is somewhere between “better than Cam” and “large amount of trouble.”

Very, very poor evaluation of Spencer.

I will only ask if it's such a poor evaluation, tell me which of these facts didn't occur last season.

1 of 14 from 3 in losses to Temple, SHU, Miami. All 3 losses are swing games in a NCAA resume.

1 of 13 in 2 games vs Sparty....3-14 overall at MSU in a 13 point road loss.....

2 points in 25 minutes in a 9 point loss at Illinois.

8 points in a home loss to Nebraska.

9 points in a home loss to Northwestern.

Why am I pointing out 8 key games out of 34....because it's more than 8 out of 34 total games, it's kinda 8 out of 27 key games.

There are 9 games that Spencer played against Q4 competition.....he thrived in those games, shooting 52% from 3 against weak competition.

Once you remove those 9 games from the resume, he averages around 11PPG.

We are looking at trying to "match" 11PPG in key games against legitimate opponents.

To close this loop, we lost 14 games in the regular season and B1G tournament with Spencer as the starting Shooting Guard.

I've posted in another thread, RU was extremely fortunate that PSU imploded in the 2nd half at Happy Valley, otherwise the February/March stretch would have been completely horrific. There was nothing trending in the right direction that showed me, Spencer nor Mulcahy, were getting better. They hit a ceiling and 19-15, isn't good enough IMO.

I will only ask if it's such a poor evaluation, tell me which of these facts didn't occur last season.

1 of 14 from 3 in losses to Temple, SHU, Miami. All 3 losses are swing games in a NCAA resume.

1 of 13 in 2 games vs Sparty....3-14 overall at MSU in a 13 point road loss.....

2 points in 25 minutes in a 9 point loss at Illinois.

8 points in a home loss to Nebraska.

9 points in a home loss to Northwestern.

Why am I pointing out 8 key games out of 34....because it's more than 8 out of 34 total games, it's kinda 8 out of 27 key games.

There are 9 games that Spencer played against Q4 competition.....he thrived in those games, shooting 52% from 3 against weak competition.

Once you remove those 9 games from the resume, he averages around 11PPG.

We are looking at trying to "match" 11PPG in key games against legitimate opponents.

To close this loop, we lost 14 games in the regular season and B1G tournament with Spencer as the starting Shooting Guard.

I've posted in another thread, RU was extremely fortunate that PSU imploded in the 2nd half at Happy Valley, otherwise the February/March stretch would have been completely horrific. There was nothing trending in the right direction that showed me, Spencer nor Mulcahy, were getting better. They hit a ceiling and 19-15, isn't good enough IMO.
You don’t know ball gramps

Reactions: kcg88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT