Oct 4, 2004
  • Purdue +2.5 vs Syracuse, Saturday at 7:30 on NBC
  • Rutgers -7 vs Virginia Tech, Saturday at 3:30 on BTN
  • Minnesota +7.5 at #20 North Carolina Saturday at 3:30 on ESPN
  • Indiana +9.5 vs Louisville, Saturday at noon on BTN
  • Maryland -14 vs Virginia, Friday at 7pm on FS1
  • Northwestern +18.5 at #21 Duke Saturday at 3:30 on ACCN

Funny how this happened...

I'm unclear on just how good or how bad Purdue is with their new coach. Is this a team that just needed to get their feet under them or are they just bad and this marriage doesn't work? Talk about a fall from grace in one season. Right now, Brohm looks to be the best thing that's happened to them in a while.

Also, I don't know what's happened to Minnesota. They lost their long-time QB - who was nothing more than a great game-manager - and great RB('s) and evidently Fleck didn't have good players waiting in the wings? He's been doing well over there. But, so far, I'd say .. well, not this season.

As for the other teams .. well, seems about right. Although, I think we'll easily cover the spread this weekend.

I'm unclear on just how good or how bad Purdue is with their new coach. Is this a team that just needed to get their feet under them or are they just bad and this marriage doesn't work? Talk about a fall from grace in one season. Right now, Brohm looks to be the best thing that's happened to them in a while.

Also, I don't know what's happened to Minnesota. They lost their long-time QB - who was nothing more than a great game-manager - and great RB('s) and evidently Fleck didn't have good players waiting in the wings? He's been doing well over there. But, so far, I'd say .. well, not this season.

As for the other teams .. well, seems about right. Although, I think we'll easily cover the spread this weekend.
Well from a RU perspective maybe losing Kirk C has had a big impact. 2 weeks in the returns for us look pretty good.

Reactions: BeantownKnight

I think Purdue takes sarah
Tarheels go down
IU will win
MD for sure
Duke beats NW

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
I think Purdue takes sarah
Tarheels go down
IU will win
MD for sure
Duke beats NW
You forgot the most important game.
K5fzdpv.gif

A pretty extreme conclusion considering the coach is 1-1 through 2 games. I don't think most Purdue fans know how good we are at this point but "fall from grace" and "marriage doesn't work" seems overly dramatic for a young coach 2 games in considering we have a road win against a P5 team and a loss to one of the top G5 programs last year in a game we led most of the way.

This was going to be a very different team even if Brohm hadn't left. But the Purdue-Brohm marriage was a short-term thing and we all knew it. Brohm helped the program from the worst coach in our history and brought us a handful of really fun moments while he was here but we had good teams and moments prior to him and he's not the only guy capable of winning at Purdue. Early returns on Walters are mixed. He's recruiting at a higher level than Brohm and looks likely to field a better defense. Will we have as explosive an offense? Doubtful. But if the improvements on defense can offset that and Hudson Card can develop on his potential we can be ok.

A pretty extreme conclusion considering the coach is 1-1 through 2 games. I don't think most Purdue fans know how good we are at this point but "fall from grace" and "marriage doesn't work" seems overly dramatic for a young coach 2 games in considering we have a road win against a P5 team and a loss to one of the top G5 programs last year in a game we led most of the way.

This was going to be a very different team even if Brohm hadn't left. But the Purdue-Brohm marriage was a short-term thing and we all knew it. Brohm helped the program from the worst coach in our history and brought us a handful of really fun moments while he was here but we had good teams and moments prior to him and he's not the only guy capable of winning at Purdue. Early returns on Walters are mixed. He's recruiting at a higher level than Brohm and looks likely to field a better defense. Will we have as explosive an offense? Doubtful. But if the improvements on defense can offset that and Hudson Card can develop on his potential we can be ok.
Some of our fans tend to quickly fall in love with 2 win coaches and proclaim them program saviors and do the opposite with 1 or 2 loss new coaches. See our threads on Hafley, Mora and Leipold. The latest sensation, not just here, is Sanders. More rational fans take a longer view. Leipold looks like he may pan out, but it is still too soon to tell.

Some of our fans tend to quickly fall in love with 2 win coaches and proclaim them program saviors and do the opposite with 1 or 2 loss new coaches. See our threads on Hafley, Mora and Leipold. The latest sensation, not just here, is Sanders. More rational fans take a longer view. Leipold looks like he may pan out, but it is still too soon to tell.
Leipold is the real deal. As he has risen through the coaching ranks by taking terrible programs and making them good his bona fides are intact. But, like most coaches at the P5 level the competition for talent get greater. Leipold, I have no doubt will get the Jayhawks into bowls annually. Leipold is an offensive genius and Greg is a defensive genius. Both are moving their respective programs in the right direction.

Leipold is the real deal. As he has risen through the coaching ranks by taking terrible programs and making them good his bona fides are intact. But, like most coaches at the P5 level the competition for talent get greater. Leipold, I have no doubt will get the Jayhawks into bowls annually. Leipold is an offensive genius and Greg is a defensive genius. Both are moving their respective programs in the right direction.
The indications of sustained success are there for Leipold, and he has the backing of Kansas. But at 2-10/1-8 in season 1, 6-7/3-6 (not great) in season 2, and only 2 games into season 3, it would be helpful to see the conclusion of this season and one additional season before drawing a firm conclusion. The flip side of that argument applies to Greg and years 1-3 here at Rutgers. Fans tend to be harshest on their own teams/players/coaches and cut other programs more slack.

As I say, take things as they come and leave it at that. Good game, good season, whatever and don't read too much beyond that until more time passes and you can possibly see a pattern.

Reactions: Knight Shift
as opposed to our fans who fall in love with a coach that has proven to be mediocre at best?

flip a coin, you can't see one side without the other

I got the Challenge tied 3-3 this week. Rutgers, Maryland and Purdue win for the B1G, while UNC, Duke, and Louisville win for the ACC.

Your fans aren't the only ones. Our boards were a mess after losing to Fresno. Most are back on the bandwagon after the win at Virginia Tech but if we lose to Syracuse this weekend I assume it will revert back to death and despair for the future of the program. Really there's only about 4 or so conference teams that we can lose to without at least 1/3 of the online fans losing their minds.

In my mind, take out a few at the top of the conference each year and maybe a team or two at the bottom that are having really bad years and it's really not surprising for any of the teams in that middle to win or lose any given game against one another. In a good year where injuries and breaks go your way, that could look like 6 conference wins. In a year where you do exactly the same things but have injuries and breaks go against you, it could look like 2 conference wins. Lots of parity in the middle of the conference and most games can be determined by 1-3 plays.

Last edited:
Your fans aren't the only ones. Our boards were a mess after losing to Fresno. Most are back on the bandwagon after the win at Virginia Tech but if we lose to Syracuse this weekend I assume it will revert back to death and despair for the future of the program. Really there's only about 4 or so conference teams that we can lose to without at least 1/3 of the online fans losing their minds.

In my mind, take out a few at the top of the conference each year and maybe a team or two at the bottom that are having really bad years and it's really not surprising for any of the teams in that middle to win or lose any given game against one another. In a good year where injuries and breaks go your way, that could look like 6 conference wins. In a year where you do exactly the same things but have injuries and breaks go against you, it could look like 2 conference wins. Lots of parity in the middle of the conference and most games can be determined by 1-3 plays.
Look on the bright side. We ain't fans of Michigan State or Northwestern. 😂

Reactions: TC4THREE
as opposed to our fans who fall in love with a coach that has proven to be mediocre at best?

flip a coin, you can't see one side without the other

Most fans who supported the hire had (and still have) questions about Schiano’s upside in terms of ability to transform RU into a team that could be in the mix for higher level bowl games (9+ win level).

I think your confusing “fall in love”, with feeling strongly that it was best for the program to hire the one person we could afford who was a virtual guarantee to quickly pull RU out of the laughing stock ashes. The bottom line is there was nothing, I repeat NOTHING, more important than that in 2019. I scratch my head that we still have fans who don’t acknowledge this or proclaim that pretty much any coach would’ve easily accomplished this. It was a tough assignment and Schiano checked the box. Whether he can take the next step or not is TBD but there is no question the program is in a much better place than it was when Schiano took over form ash.

Reactions: RAHWAYBOB
Most fans who supported the hire had (and still have) questions about Schiano’s upside in terms of ability to transform RU into a team that could be in the mix for higher level bowl games (9+ win level).

I think your confusing “fall in love”, with feeling strongly that it was best for the program to hire the one person we could afford who was a virtual guarantee to quickly pull RU out of the laughing stock ashes. The bottom line is there was nothing, I repeat NOTHING, more important than that in 2019. I scratch my head that we still have fans who don’t acknowledge this or proclaim that pretty much any coach would’ve easily accomplished this. It was a tough assignment and Schiano checked the box. Whether he can take the next step or not is TBD but there is no question the program is in a much better place than it was when Schiano took over form ash.
you are fking high if you don't think many of our fans who are 'cult like' in their support of Greg support him over the school/program. Just read any thread on here to see it.

Fans have deluded themselves to think that NJ is unique in cfb and only Greg can help. Reminds of Japanese winter marketing that made Japanese people believe Japanese snow was unique. lol

You forgot a big name: Mel Tucker. Anointed the next Nick Saban by many of the Rutgers faithful (and apparently the MSU administration as they granted him that ridiculous contract).

• Haha
You forgot a big name: Mel Tucker. Anointed the next Nick Saban by many of the Rutgers faithful (and apparently the MSU administration as they granted him that ridiculous contract).
A pet peeve of mine is Universities handing out extensions and long contracts at the first sign of success. A next "favorite" is when a coach has 3-4 years left on the contract and the schools knee jerk say yes to request/demand for an extension when one may not be warranted. Such is the life of head coaches. I went into the wrong field. I get canned on my first screw up with zero severance. 😂

A pet peeve of mine is Universities handing out extensions and long contracts at the first sign of success. A next "favorite" is when a coach has 3-4 years left on the contract and the schools knee jerk say yes to request/demand for an extension when one may not be warranted. Such is the life of head coaches. I went into the wrong field. I get canned on my first screw up with zero severance. 😂
100%

You know me I’m one of the biggest ranters on “heads I win tails you lose” coaching contracts. Long term obligations on short term results isn’t smart business.

I don’t blame the agents or coaches, it’s the ADs and admins that need to be smarter. They have the power of the purse strings but they act as if they have a pee shooter. Realize that most coaches aren’t the next Saban and don’t need to be treated like that.

you are fking high if you don't think many of our fans who are 'cult like' in their support of Greg support him over the school/program. Just read any thread on here to see it.

Fans have deluded themselves to think that NJ is unique in cfb and only Greg can help. Reminds of Japanese winter marketing that made Japanese people believe Japanese snow was unique. lol

I don’t think it’s like that. Most felt he was the closest thing to a guarantee to make us respectable (non laughing stock) which as I said was the top priority in 2019.

Tomorrow’s game looms HUGE in terms of the direction of the program. A loss would be a major step backwards in my opinion. I view the game as a must win.

I don’t think it’s like that. Most felt he was the closest thing to a guarantee to make us respectable (non laughing stock) which as I said was the top priority in 2019.

Tomorrow’s game looms HUGE in terms of the direction of the program. A loss would be a major step backwards in my opinion. I view the game as a must win.
Of course we all want a win…but IMHO a loss would only be a setback for the fanbase, not the team. They’re making steady progress and visibly getting better. Win or lose I think they continue on that trajectory.

Of course we all want a win…but IMHO a loss would only be a setback for the fanbase, not the team. They’re making steady progress and visibly getting better. Win or lose I think they continue on that trajectory.
lose tomorrow and you lose any positive press we've had.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops

Shall we recap:

Purdue 20 Syracuse 35 — L
Rutgers 35 Virginia Tech 16 — W
Minnesota 13 North Carolina 31 — L
Indiana 14 Louisville 21 — L
Maryland 42 Virginia 14 — W
Northwestern 14 Duke 38 — L

B1G goes 2-4 against the ACC this weekend, with RU and Maryland the only Ws. Sure wish some other conference brethren would hold their weight 😎

The indications of sustained success are there for Leipold, and he has the backing of Kansas. But at 2-10/1-8 in season 1, 6-7/3-6 (not great) in season 2, and only 2 games into season 3, it would be helpful to see the conclusion of this season and one additional season before drawing a firm conclusion. The flip side of that argument applies to Greg and years 1-3 here at Rutgers. Fans tend to be harshest on their own teams/players/coaches and cut other programs more slack.
It is quite similar to life . Some people think the grass is always greener

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT