ADVERTISEMENT

B1G coaches want conference to act regarding sign stealing

How can anyone see him say "run right"? But, yeah, the defense def looks like they sell out vs run as if pass is not an option. Safety on run side left a huge opportunity for a TD pass... giant gap.

Also, didn't OSU say they changed signs before this game?

No, I think people like it . I sure do!
Let's see what Sweetness might have said on this subject.

d2e11bb331abfb8ee82e539cd24e64b5.jpg

Oh.

Yeah, those prewritten wrestling matches are probably more “fair”, lol. At least the heel wins sometimes. Uconn upsetting Michigan, yeah, right….
Yeah at least professional wrestling doesn't always have the same wrestler winning. College football doesn't care if 100 years goes by and it's 100 wins to 0 losses.

Let's see what Sweetness might have said on this subject.

d2e11bb331abfb8ee82e539cd24e64b5.jpg

Oh.
True. Although, in this case, the truth of that meme doesn't mean that my good friend @Plum Street is actually any good at whatever it is he feels he's legendary at.

BTW, the inverse of the meme is also true. People who often find themselves having to state "I'm not an idiot" in conversations might wanna step back and reevaluate.

IMO, intelligence (and greatness) are almost always obvious, at least after a little time. When they're not obvious, no amount of self-promotion can fool anybody but the easily fooled. And fooling the easily fooled is nothing to brag about.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
All of the Michigan success in the last 2 years now makes sense. Their last B1G championship before 2021 went all the way back to 2004. I guess they have to cheat to win anything. Harbaugh's a scumbag

So there is no backup plan?
We go through all this effort of having 3 guys with 3 different colors hats/shirts to hide our signs because they are so important.
But if someone cracks them during a game - and we know it (based on the premise the HC Schiano was actually talking about it at halftime as has been argued) - the response is "oh well. Lets just keep doing our thing and just see how it happens?"

Others have indicated there are a series of mitigation options- wristband, send the play in with a substitute.
Assuming HC Schiano employed something, then the sign stealing was immaterial in the 2nd half when we were outscored 17-0. Particularly on the Pick 6 play.
Nothing would change to that extent at halftime. Even the so called "halftime adustments" are overinflated according to many coaches (including Friedgen) in an article I read some time ago.

The precautions like wristband or sending the play in with a player or changing signals would be something you do before the game. Really, every B10 coach should have taken some precaution because it was widely known in the conference and probably somewhat outside the conference too. They all gossip among themselves according to reports. Same thing with Venables. It may be new info to us fans but it's not new info to the coaches. The extent to which Stalions went is new to them but the knowing they're good at it isn't. I mean they even knew Stalions (maybe not by name) and that he went to Navy and was the guy with a big sheet next to the coaches. So they might not know the extent to which Stalions went but they know Michigan is known for it and good at it and Stalions was a part of it. If you know all that you take precautions going in.

Really it can be a double edge sword too. If the team changes signals then whatever you have is all for naught. Look what Dykes said they did when TCU found out from B10 coaches about Michigan. He used old signals as decoys. So it can be to your benefit possibly if you know Michigan is good at identifying signals and you take "countermeasures" against it.

True. Although, in this case, the truth of that meme doesn't mean that my good friend @Plum Street is actually any good at whatever it is he feels he's legendary at.

BTW, the inverse of the meme is also true. People who often find themselves having to state "I'm not an idiot" in conversations might wanna step back and reevaluate.

IMO, intelligence (and greatness) are almost always obvious, at least after a little time. When they're not obvious, no amount of self-promotion can fool anybody but the easily fooled. And fooling the easily fooled is nothing to brag about.
Obviously , you miss the obvious . The posts and the legendary calls speak for themselves . Not sure why you don’t realize that . Pretty much everyone else does.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes. If you are cheating then you aren’t trying. All we know now is that Hardpaw tries harder than everyone else.

Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes. If you are cheating then you aren’t trying. All we know now is that Hardpaw tries harder than everyone else.
This is almost correct. Hardpaw got caught, which makes him a loser.

Winners would (a) not steal signs, which is loser thinking, but instead modify the signs in place such that opposing teams would see and try to execute play calls their OC never intended and (b) never get caught doing it.

It's not sour grapes. I just want Harbaugh to be banned from the postseason for several years so he has more time to give those motivational paid 'leadership' talks.

It's not sour grapes. I just want Harbaugh to be banned from the postseason for several years so he has more time to give those motivational paid 'leadership' talks.
That whole program in Ann Arbor is scumbags,

Much ado about nothing. Michigan just got caught.
As someone who spent an entire basketball season crying foul because we had to give up a home game to play at MSG, you have to be kidding. This is clearly big time cheating. Giving up a single home game is much ado about nothing!

Reactions: TRU2RU and PaKnight
So there is no backup plan?
We go through all this effort of having 3 guys with 3 different colors hats/shirts to hide our signs because they are so important.
But if someone cracks them during a game - and we know it (based on the premise the HC Schiano was actually talking about it at halftime as has been argued) - the response is "oh well. Lets just keep doing our thing and just see how it happens?"

Others have indicated there are a series of mitigation options- wristband, send the play in with a substitute.
Assuming HC Schiano employed something, then the sign stealing was immaterial in the 2nd half when we were outscored 17-0. Particularly on the Pick 6 play.

Wow. Have you watched a single game or do you just want to look for things to bash our coach on? Gavin has improved, but he is still extremely frail with decision making and we quite intentionally avoid too many read plays because it’s obvious the staff doesn’t think he’s ready to make adjustments on the fly against elite teams. We have no reason whatsoever to believe they are wrong - none of us (including you) are at practice. Taking this to be our reality, do you really think asking Gavin to suddenly remember a whole new set of signs while up against the number 2 team in the country was a viable option? There’s no way.

From the article:

What form that action takes and when is the biggest issue hanging over the entire league. There was little appetite for a fine, which would be more reminiscent of the NFL’s discipline structure. Some ADs on the call were willing to ban Michigan from the Big Ten championship game entirely. Others believe that a suspension for Harbaugh, and potentially his coordinators, would be appropriate as long as clear video evidence exists linking recruiting analyst Connor Stalions to the coordinators.

“That couple of million extra bucks that we make when we put two teams in the CFP is awfully nice,” an administrator at a Big Ten school says, when asked for a reason why some ADs would not want to ban Michigan from the conference championship game.

Just how good Michigan is has a lot to do with the urgency of the situation. As one Big Ten administrator said Thursday afternoon: “Ohio State can make all of this go away. Ohio State beats them in a few weeks, all of it goes away, right? Hell, if Penn State beats ‘em it really goes away.”

One consideration for the conference, however, is likely the potential for legal action by Michigan if the school or Harbaugh personally do not feel they received due process—including a formal investigation—from the conference before being punished. If Michigan is banned from the conference championship game, it could trigger a legal battle where the Wolverines go to court to force the league to let them play, should they win the East.

“If you're Michigan and they throw you out of the game, you wouldn't spend $100,000 to fight to see if you can get a court to rule that you're the rightful champ of the East?” a Big Ten administrator says.

Let’s see who has a set .
BIG could ban Michigan from title game .
CFP committee could simply just not select them for a playoff spot .

Schiano was lying at Indiana post game presser. Anyone still think he was talking about the officials at the halftime interview ?
Plum was the first or second in the entire USA to make the correlation to that interview and sign stealing ! Legend grows!!
So now you accuse our coach of lying to protect your BS-- get a grip and remove that tin foil on your head, some people do mean what they say.

Suspend Harbaugh for 2 games vs Central Michigan and Home of the blind, Take away 1 scholarship. That will teach them

From the article:
Others believe that a suspension for Harbaugh, and potentially his coordinators, would be appropriate as long as clear video evidence exists linking recruiting analyst Connor Stalions to the coordinators.
Who signs this guy's checks? Who pays for his expenses? Someone in the organization holding purse strings was aware he was traveling around the country spending money doing what he was doing. No way to deny they signed off on it.

This mentions what I've said with regards to the move away from punishments that affects players that didn't do anything. Also mention of relying on NCAA investigators, which I've mentioned won't move fast enough for this season.

From the article:

This is an unprecedented situation; whatever Petitti decides to do (or not do) will set a precedent. The Big Ten itself doesn’t have investigators, so it needs to rely upon the NCAA to do that part — and to determine who else was involved in the alleged scouting scheme. It’s not clear exactly what the coaches would want the league to do to punish Michigan; banning the team from competing in the Big Ten championship, for example, would harm players who had nothing to do with the sign-stealing apparatus.

Who signs this guy's checks? Who pays for his expenses? Someone in the organization holding purse strings was aware he was traveling around the country spending money doing what he was doing. No way to deny they signed off on it.
I've mentioned that but who knows which staff members knew and didn't or the extent of it. Definitely the money is coming from somewhere but exactly where is unknown.

I've mentioned that but who knows which staff members knew and didn't or the extent of it. Definitely the money is coming from somewhere but exactly where is unknown.
It will probably come down to a Barry Bonds* type situation: "I was putting on obvious huge amounts of muscle but I had no idea how it was happening!" How does the HC deny he didn't know where signs were coming from? Someone magically and conveniently produced the other teams signs for every game and he just accepted it?

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I have a feeling the investigation is still going on, and there's a lot of stuff to still uncover. This is probably rooted deeper than Harbaugh. We're talking boosters being involved.

It will probably come down to a Barry Bonds* type situation: "I was putting on obvious huge amounts of muscle but I had no idea how it was happening!" How does the HC deny he didn't know where signs were coming from? Someone magically and conveniently produced the other teams signs for every game and he just accepted it?
Some probably knew and some probably were don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Who knows which is which and who is to know which ones actually knew how far things went. That's part of why it will take some time.

Everyone wants a head but it doesn't mean they will get one, at least not right away.

The only thing I could find possibly realistic for this season is a Harbaugh suspension but even that could be challenged by Harbaugh. The process has to play out and that will take time. The NCAA moves at a glacial pace and the B10 doesn't have investigators.

From the article:

Petitti could choose to do nothing, citing the need for the NCAA to finish its investigation, and deal with any fallout after the season.

He could invoke the league’s sportsmanship policy and do something drastic like make Michigan ineligible for the Big Ten title.

Or he could find some sort of middle ground like suspending coach Jim Harbaugh, which would suggest the seriousness of the allegations against Michigan but not prevent the team from pursuing its competitive goals.

But all of those options, and perhaps some others being discussed among Big Ten administrators right now, are problematic.

If Petitti concludes that Michigan’s conduct was egregious enough to forfeit games or be banned from the postseason, he risks being accused of overreach and punishing players who — at least to this point — likely have no culpability in the ethical breach that was committed.

And even if he were to put the punishment on Harbaugh, which might be the path of least resistance, there’s a huge risk in sparking an ugly legal fight that would leave everyone sullied to some degree. After all, nothing so far has connected Harbaugh to the alleged activities of Connor Stalions, a low-level staffer who was apparently sending associates all over the country to film the sidelines of future and potential Michigan opponents in an attempt to decipher their signals.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT