ADVERTISEMENT

BACATOLOGY: NCAA ANALYSIS 3/7......NEW UPDATE 3/12 1PM PAGE 37

Moral of the story: don't be on the bubble before conference tournaments as you'll watch higher seeds coast and not care as desperate teams will get on a roll and steal bids

basically...you want to have your bid wrapped up beforehand and if you dont you want to make your case

Rutgers really did not come to play with the level needed to match Iowa. I know Iowa is red hot but RU seemed unaware of the moment they were in. Not that hungry

Moral of the story: don't be on the bubble before conference tournaments as you'll watch higher seeds coast and not care as desperate teams will get on a roll and steal bids..

oh and try not to get a double bye and get rewarded by having to play the hottest team in the country

Yup...I was naive, thinking only about the fact that a loss to iowa didn't hurt our resume much, but I wasn't thinking about the opportunities still out there for other teams to get hot and raffle off wins.

Jerry Palm is a former member of the Purdue marching band and a Purdue homer. Computer Science guy who hacked his way into bracketology. Dork.

artworks-000506065776-li0hoe-t500x500.jpg

Last bye is probably as good a place to expect to be right now.

the only school I am worried about is Va Tech...who i would put in now right now and keep smu out. Its going to come down to whether we can be seeded ahead of Xavier, Wyoming and Notre Dame and hope no bid stealer from A10

He was called out as a fraud either last year or the year before trying to say we shouldn’t make it in. No reason he should be viewed as anything different now. Dudes ranked 100 out of 135 on bracket matrix for Christ sake.

Reactions: Scangg
Joe on now

Indiana probably safe
Wake Forest out
SMU in the field
knocking on door Va Tech....
Oklahoma heartbreak of day...will stay first 4 out and likely go to NIT

no mention of RU so I am assuming staying safe in his bracket
Aggies?

Joe on now

Indiana probably safe
Wake Forest out
SMU in the field
knocking on door Va Tech....
Oklahoma heartbreak of day...will stay first 4 out and likely go to NIT

no mention of RU so I am assuming staying safe in his bracket
Or…. Our fate will be determined after tomorrows games…🤞🏻

Tomorrow

Duke over Virginia tech
Iowa over Indiana
Arkansas over Texas A&M

Davidson over St Louis
Richmond over Dayton
(Want Davison winning A-10)

Houston over Tulane
Memphis over SMU
(Want Houston winning AAC)

If all of that happens …I think we get the first bye and the 11 seed in no Dayton

Every one of those events that doesn’t happen …puts us on the real bubble as first 4 in and out

Time to sweat

Last edited:
Based on our wins against the field, I don’t see us not making it. No team comes close to our win # and most have a losing percentage. Could make an argument us avoiding Dayton, but I think we will be so controversial we end up in Dayton.

Tomorrow

Duke over Virginia tech
Iowa over Illinois
Arkansas over Texas A&M

Davidson over St Louis
Richmond over Dayton
(Want Davison winning A-10)

Houston over Tulane
Memphis over SMU
(Want Houston winning AAC)

If all of that happens …I think we get the first bye and the 11 seed in no Dayton

Every one of those events that doesn’t happen …puts us on the real bubble as first 4 in and out

Time to sweat
Iowa plays Indiana

Putting Shack's post in chronological order, today's viewing guide...

1:00pm -- Texas A&M v. Arkansas (ESPN). Aggies likely in with another upset win here in SEC semifinal

1:00pm -- Indiana v. Iowa (CBS). Indiana likely already in but for optics, Iowa blowing out the Hoosiers wouldn't hurt us

1:00pm -- Davidson v. St Louis (CBSS). Need Davidson to win A10 tournament in the hopes that it's a one-bid league

3:00pm -- Houston vs Tulane (ESPN2). Tulane an unlikely bid thief so we want Houston here who are favored by 13.5 points

3:30pm -- Dayton v Richmond (CBSS) in the other A10 semifinal. Dayton is more likely to sneak into the field as an at large so rooting for Richmond here. Plus playing Dayton in Dayton would suck if it came to that

5:00pm -- SMU v. Memphis (ESPN2). SMU might be in anyway but a loss to Memphis will have them sweating tomorrow

8:30pm -- Virginia Tech vs Duke (ESPN), Hokies might be in even with a loss here but it'll be close

Other local games of note, Princeton plays Cornell at 11am in Ivy semifinal and St Peters and Monmouth face off in MAAC championship at 4.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot since the game. A ton of people are pointing out our NET our 3 bad losses and saying we don’t belong. Sure, we would be the lowest NET ever to get in but each year is completely different to the next. Next year there may be no team higher then a 60 NET to get in. You have to compare Rutgers to the other bubble teams. Right now there are 13 or so teams battling for 5 spots. Compare those 3 teams and really Rutgers belongs to be part of those 5 teams. Will the committee believe it too? I hope so, but the “metrics” and “NET” arguments need to be thrown out the window.

I thought about it this morning
(3-3) Q1 0-0 Q2 0-1 Q3 0-1 Q4 3-1
@ Q2 DePaul 70-70, game winning 3, lost 70-73, vs Q4 Lafayette 51-50, game winning 3, lost 51-53, @ Q3 UMass 83-82, game winning 3, 83-85. Never saw 3 games consecutively decided by a game winning shot against the same team in a row, odds are astronomical, and no these games shouldn't have come down to the wire but is this really going to hold us back from getting in?

Since,
(15-10) Q1 6-6 Q2 3-3 Q3 4-1 Q4 2-0
That is a resume of a team in the tournament, even with a loss by 3pts @ Q2 Minnesota and 1pt loss @ Q2 Northwestern. We are couple of possessions, missed FTs, or ref bad calls in each of those 5 games away from being this team, with many freshman mistakes contributing to these losses.

(23-8) Q1 6-6, Q2 5-1, Q3 5-1, Q4 6-0

We are one of the best 36 at larges the committee can choose from, it's not even a real question looking at the resumes and watching some of the other bubble teams play that are available.

Last edited:
Reactions: DirtyRU
I thought about it this morning
(3-3) Q1 0-0 Q2 0-1 Q3 0-1 Q4 3-1
@ Q2 DePaul 70-70, game winning 3, lost 70-73, vs Q4 Lafayette 51-50, game winning 3, lost 51-53, @ Q3 UMass 84-83, game winning 3, 84-86. Never saw 3 games consecutively decided by a game winning shot against the same team in a row, odds are astronomical, and no these games shouldn't have come down to the wire but is this really going to hold us back from getting in?

Since,
(15-10) Q1 6-6 Q2 3-3 Q3 4-1 Q4 2-0
That is a resume of a team in the tournament, even with a loss by 3pts @ Q2 Minnesota and 1pt loss @ Q2 Northwestern. We are couple of possessions in each of those 5 games away from being this team, with many freshman mistakes contributing to these losses.

(23-8) Q1 6-6, Q2 5-1, Q3 5-1, Q4 6-0

We are one of the best 36 at larges the committee can choose from, it's not even a real question looking at the resumes and watching some of the other bubble teams play that are available.

Yeah but you have to consider the flip of our wins vs Purdue, Indiana, Iowa, etc that all came down to the last possession. Switch those three games and we're not sniffing the bubble

I wonder ... has a team that finished in the top 4 in the B1G final standings ever NOT make the tournament?

I'm betting the answer to that is a "no". In fact, I think the top 9 teams made it in last year.

I wonder ... has a team that finished in the top 4 in the B1G final standings ever NOT make the tournament?

I'm betting the answer to that is a "no". In fact, I think the top 9 teams made it in last year.
Yes, Nebraska finished 4th in the conference 20-11 overall and 13-5 in conference. However, like I said in my post above no need to compare RU to them. Our resume is much better and we are competing for a bid against other bubble teams, not past results.

Yeah but you have to consider the flip of our wins vs Purdue, Indiana, Iowa, etc that all came down to the last possession. Switch those three games and we're not sniffing the bubble
Indiana, Iowa = Depaul, score was tied when the shot was taken or foul called, OT who.knows who wins.
Purdue = Lafayette, UMass
It's not exactly accurate.

The bottom line is and always has been a moving of the goalposts for the fans who truly don't want RU to win, they don't want have RU to have success and don't follow CBB in general.

If we had a more focused fanbase who just watches CBB, follows and understand what is a good team vs not, RU fans would understand the following as we moved through the season.

First it was lacking road wins....

Then it would be because we lost to Minnesota or Northwestern or Penn State on the road.

The negative RU fans ignored how important beating Maryland on the road was.....

The key to the season was getting out of Lincoln Nebraska with a win and then rallying in a loss to NW......it gave Mulcahy the boost of confidence to play better and RU ultimately earned its bid by winning 4 straight vs 4 ranked teams.

RU cemented the bid by winning at an improving Indiana team and defeated a Penn State program, that has not quit on a season, after getting destroyed by Nebraska on their home court 2 or so weeks ago.

We can have rooting interest on a couple more games today, but RU to me is in the field and there's always trolls who will say otherwise. Body of work against quality opponents is the overall factor, anyone ignoring that or talking about anything else, is just not aware of what other bubble teams have or haven't done themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT