ADVERTISEMENT

BACATOLOGY: NCAA ANALYSIS 3/7......NEW UPDATE 3/12 1PM PAGE 37

Sounds promising.

if the committee does what it is suppose to do.....

one thing some of these guys pushing metrics on twitter and tv and blogs are putting too much emphasis on the those computer rankings which appear on the team sheet.,..they simply appear on the team sheet, there is no instruction to do value or not value any of that, they are simply numbers. If the committee looks at actually results....

Not to get ahead of ourselves but assuming we're an 11 or 12 seed that means 1st/2nd round we avoid the 1 seed pods and the 2 seed pods.

Based on who the projected 1/2 seeds currently are, a lot of which are western/southern teams, our chances of the first weekend being in the eastern half of the country are pretty good.

I'll go more into it after seeing how today plays out.

alabama, st marys, usc, lsu, houston, colorado state, boise state, uconn

those look like our 8 possibilities if we are 11

if we are 12

texas, uconn, st marys, colorado state, alabama, providence (not likely)

Reactions: Scangg
i am breaking down comparing about 20 resumes and this is ridiculous...Rutgers dwarfs them all...right from Memphis to San Fran to Notre Dame

if you do not look at the silly number and look at results its not even close

more to come stay tuned
How much will committee look at the circumstances of a lot of Rutgers Q1 wins I.e Purdue, Iowa, Ohio St, Wisconsin where the numbers would indicate a loss was just as likely (or more likely) as a win especially a few of those.

I imagine it’s all accounted for in the underlying metrics but do you think Rutgers gets “dinged twice” for it?

Reactions: Rutgers25
I think an Indiana loss today and we still have a good case ahead of them. They’re pretty similar to our resume in where we’re bad at, perhaps not as bad, but where we are good we are a fair bit ahead of them. Plus we have the H2H win on their home court
this is true, people get too caught up in recency...remember its body of work. Two wins including a biggee but their resume overall was weak coming into the week, a few notches below RU. They are still just 8-11 vs Q1/2. RU has better wins. Indiana is only 5-8 vs field while RU is 8-6

i am breaking down comparing about 20 resumes and this is ridiculous...Rutgers dwarfs them all...right from Memphis to San Fran to Notre Dame

if you do not look at the silly number and look at results its not even close

more to come stay tuned
The 8-6 wins against the field really does trounce other teams and is a mark no team left out has ever been close to reaching. Teams left out generally are ones that fail to beat enough teams, not ones with strong records against good teams

I’m also shocked that UNC is a lock. They should be in the bubble along with VT based on resume. Too much placed in that Duke win—yes yes they have 23 wins but their quad 1 resume is garbage
agree, its an ok resume but only 3 wins vs schools in the field...if you include Va Tech...just 6-8 in Q1/2. If they didnt beat Duke they would be out.

that was the SHU game. For Lafayette he injured himself with about 8 minutes to
I was told he was tested Bethany
Not sure which is a more stupid data point to consider sos or NET since neither prove that you have actually beaten anyone.
Like I joked yesterday ,even if we beat Iowa the "experts" would next be saying we need to win it all to get in--- it's all bullcrap

How much will committee look at the circumstances of a lot of Rutgers Q1 wins I.e Purdue, Iowa, Ohio St, Wisconsin where the numbers would indicate a loss was just as likely (or more likely) as a win especially a few of those.

I imagine it’s all accounted for in the underlying metrics but do you think Rutgers gets “dinged twice” for it?
No way, people think that teams who win close games "just know how to win" or whatever.

Also we lost close games too, we have a midtier luck rating in Kenpom. Like if you are dinging us for Purdue and Iowa then you have to give us back Lafayette and UMass.

Also, Wisconsin doesn't belong on that list, we were up 10 with 30 seconds left.

St Johns and Arizona State got in....SJU had net around 70, asu in the 60s...they were pitted against each other in the first four

ASU was 22-10 with 2 Q4 losses to Princeton and Washington St, and 2 Q3 losses to Utah and Vandy. Their sos was 57/30 so they were not working with the bad ooc mark that RU has.

3-3 in Q1 and 9-2 in Q2 that was a good 12-5 vs both but yet only 5-3 vs the field

SJU had 2 Q3 losses and was 21-12, 5-7 vs Q1. 5-3 vs Q2, 10-10 vs both sos of 74/207. Only 5-4 vs field

neither had as big wins as RU

I don't burn a lot of energy on this stuff, it's not that complicated. I pointed out Palm was a fraud 2 years ago and again last year....with the SEC and CBS linked for years, he is a shill for the SEC and admitted he doesn't like RU.

I don't see how any sane RU fan, would mention the OOC schedule, unless you want to have 14 to 15 losses today instead of just 13. I would not change anything about the OOC schedule, unless you are maybe talking about 1 neutral site game.

The overall SOS is more than sufficient and we have played quality basketball for the better part of 3 months. I just think there are people ignoring how suspect some other leagues have performed and why those schools are getting a free pass.

To me, there are about 8 schools that will be seeded too high and once the matchups come out, don't be surprised if lower seeded teams are favorites over higher seeded ones....

I also don't believe in the seeding aspect as a strength of the team or rosters at play. I do think and maintain that from the low 7 seed through the middle 11 seeding range, there are about 14 to 15 teams that essentially look the same most years. The seeding of those games by the committee then has the job of figuring out not only the potential best 1st game matchup, but what could be a potential Round of 32 matchup, depending on storyline that may not be known, unless you are a diehard of a specific school.

The seedings to me aren't relevant or an indication of how close or not close you are to making the NCAAs. The 1st four matchups are also geared to generate ratings or discussion, so I don't put much stock into Dayton or no Dayton like others do, but if you want a storyline or what "should" happen, Michigan and Juwan Howard is the most interesting storyline for teams in the 11 to 12 seed range.

If I wanted to have a reason to watch Tuesday or Wednesday games, it would be because the talk would be Michigan, Howard and whatever potential next matchup could be if they win.

At the same time, in general, we all claimed that one day we wanted a chance to have RU on the Selection Sunday show. And I don't need to rehash the posts from 6 to 7 years ago where fans said they just wanted to make the Dance one time......it is now going to be 3 straight NCAA caliber seasons in a row, so some legitimate perspective is warranted. We earned our way and won tough games to do so.

that is not how seeding is done

that is not how seeding is done
It’s so weird to watch people put forward what basically amounts to seeding conspiracy theories year after year.

As if people are like studying the bracket for “intriguing matchups” before deciding whether to watch the NCAA tournament anyway.. any basketball fan or even casual sports fan is going to watch and anyone who doesn’t like sports isn’t.

No way, people think that teams who win close games "just know how to win" or whatever.

Also we lost close games too, we have a midtier luck rating in Kenpom. Like if you are dinging us for Purdue and Iowa then you have to give us back Lafayette and UMass.

Also, Wisconsin doesn't belong on that list, we were up 10 with 30 seconds left.
Totally agree but would the Q4 losses if turned into close wins still show a staggering worse performance (underlying metrics) than if the close wins against Q1 turned into close losses? Trying to understand how the committee and underlying numbers interpret Rutgers performance without the mirage of a win/loss result.

Yep , I think it’s realistic best case that we are last 4 in .

I think when you talk about the last four in be the last teams to avoid Dayton, you obviously want to avoid Dayton but you’re in the tournament so you forget about it by Monday.

No one going to Dayton is going to get screwed, you can make a good case why most of these teams should avoid it but it’s not like any of these teams have a 8 seed resume

Further there’s a reason why a Dayton team tends to advance to the second weekend. You have a chance to build momentum

Good game on ESPNU now, Princeton and Cornell Ivy league semifinal. Cornell up 3, 8 minutes left

I don't think it's the best case; we have some chance at getting a bye. But if you offered me a 100% chance at Dayton I would take it with no hesitation.
I believe the committee will not put us in the first round because of the net . They need to validate it . So we are going to Dayton for the first four.
I too would sign right now for Dayton

predictive metrics should play no part in tryng to sort and determine the ncaa tournament.

In reality though, the metrics are only listed, there is no specific instruction to even consider them when evaluating schools

Reactions: cm_13 and Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT