ADVERTISEMENT

BACATOLOGY: NCAA ANALYSIS 3/7......NEW UPDATE 3/12 1PM PAGE 37

Watching UCLA and Arizona. Myles looks like he put on around 15-20 lbs in his mid section. Not nearly as active as he was with us.

He plays, but he's an afterthought. Basically a rebounder pick setter. They don't run anything for him or through him.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
I think of A£M and V Tech win their tourneys they will move ahead of RU and put us in the play in game. Otherwise we would get a bye..think same happens to ND. We SHOULD be ahead if Indiana but their tourney run may have helped them some—to me it shouldn’t

Hopefully in the next four years he recruits those types of players. Only time will tell brotha

Let's hope. College sports are so dirty now, I just don't see how we can compete.

These top schools all have at least a few genetic freaks. We have Cliff.

Duke is soft. They don’t play tough defense.

Va Tech up 10. This Cattoor guy is on fire. 6-6 from deep. The rim must look like the size of a garbage can for him.

Duke is soft. They don’t play tough defense.

Va Tech up 10. This Cattoor guy is on fire. 6-6 from deep. The rim must look like the size of a garbage can for him.
They were a missed 3 away from being knocked out by Clemson. Now 10 minutes from winning the whole thing. Weird things happen in March

FUN FACT: Joe Lunardi according to Bracket Matrix is ranked (55) as bracketologists which means he’s not even close to being the best.

Virginia Tech has so far taken it to Duke all night. Duke should be embarrassed with all of their high school All Americans.

I think that was a lightening in a bottle. And they had some solid talent then.

Even so, the landscape has changed dramatically in this short time. Not saying it can't be done but the teams that can play the NIL game are going to have serious advantages.
Cali , since you’re the richest guy here maybe start a NIL for us ?

Man I respect you but the only advantage the current approach has over literally just letting a computer algorithm select the teams is the current system is more entertaining.

Watching humans try to parse a big data set manually when we have tools to do that for us (i.e. data science or “science” as you put it) is laughable and basically just shows how much the world has passed the old guys by.

Alas, they are still in control.

For now.
Cmon Fluox. You seem to be too good of a quants guy to post something like that.

Sure computers can analyze a huge data set more efficiently than humans ever could. But that analysis is only as good as the algorithms selected, and the algorithms are only as good as the assumptions built into them.

The "old guys" might have the experience and expertise to understand the limitations of the algorithms and assumptions.

It would be nice if the NCAA (and other ranking services like KenPom or Sagarin) published the calculations that they used. That would allow others to critique the algorithms, similar to a peer review in scientific journals, and help clarify the limitations of the rankings. Maybe we then get a better NET, or maybe we get the same NET while understanding the limitations.

It seems the Selection Committee has already concluded that the NET has limitations at the fringes (or at least one fringe), because they didn't put Houston in their top 16 despite a top 5 NET.

That isn't evidence that the world has passed them by. It is evidence that they have the experience to recognize that the NET is limited by the algorithm and assumptions built into it.

Tech also is hustling to everything. Duke doesn’t play any form of team offense or defense

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT