ADVERTISEMENT

Back to #14 rating

RC1978

All American
Gold Member
Feb 11, 2008
Have to admit , cannot disagree. There was only 1 game all year that I didn't walk out , Seton Hall, and thought we were any good. Almost every game win or lose I said to my seatmate , we are not going to win many , if any B1G games.

I hope I am wrong and cannot wait till next year but it is a shame we cannot have a decent year. BTW the portal sucks.

Even as played so far we aren't actually the worst team in the conference. People who publish "power rankings" are almost universally far too reactive to short term / recent results. If someone wants to put us at #14 after that travesty that's fine but I don't think we finish last.

Reactions: BillyC80
Even as played so far we aren't actually the worst team in the conference. People who publish "power rankings" are almost universally far too reactive to short term / recent results. If someone wants to put us at #14 after that travesty that's fine but I don't think we finish last.

there hasnt been anything RU has done that has differientated it from being in the worst grouping....Rutgers, Minnesota, Iowa, Penn State, Maryland all with similar type profiles. I think that is the greater point

there hasnt been anything RU has done that has differientated it from being in the worst grouping....Rutgers, Minnesota, Iowa, Penn State, Maryland all with similar type profiles. I think that is the greater point
Defense…..but i dont know if there is a single word in the dictionary capable of explaining our offense right now.

my ranking right now

1. Purdue
2. Illinois
3. Wisconsin
4. Northwestern
5. Michigan State
6. Ohio State
7. Nebraska
8. Indiana
9. Michigan
10. Iowa
11. Rutgers
12. Maryland
13. Penn State
14. Minnesota

right now I think only the top 6 have NCAA resumes

playing against 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10 in the next 5....this is the moderate stretch of the schedule...if the season is to be post season RU has to find 2-3 wins here with Illinois and Purdue looming after

these next 5 games will tell ALOT

Reactions: Scarlet Shack

my ranking right now

1. Purdue
2. Illinois
3. Wisconsin
4. Northwestern
5. Michigan State
6. Ohio State
7. Nebraska
8. Indiana
9. Michigan
10. Iowa
11. Rutgers
12. Maryland
13. Penn State
14. Minnesota

right now I think only the top 6 have NCAA resumes
Yeah I mean I think this is all pretty fair.

Reactions: cm_13
Power rankings are by definition a snapshot of where teams fall at that particular moment. They're not a prediction of where teams will end up.

I cannot disagree with putting us at #14 right now, as we have only looked good in ONE game against a real team this year (out of five real games), and have even looked mediocre to bad against cupcakes.

Power rankings are by definition a snapshot of where teams fall at that particular moment. They're not a prediction of where teams will end up.
I'm not sure that's what they are "by definition", I think something like kenpom is also a power rating and it's not weighting the most recent game at 75% which is effectively what a lot of human power rankings seem to do.

Reactions: cm_13

I cannot disagree with putting us at #14 right now, as we have only looked good in ONE game against a real team this year (out of five real games), and have even looked mediocre to bad against cupcakes.

Seriously. Like Bac said, we’re in the bottom tier. A 1 point win against depleted Stonehill where you don’t even put up 60 earns you a 14. This is the week our guys need to find themselves. We can either spiral and start counting the days until Dylan and Ace are on campus - or get back into the mix.

playing against 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10 in the next 5....this is the moderate stretch of the schedule...if the season is to be post season RU has to find 2-3 wins here with Illinois and Purdue looming after

these next 5 games will tell ALOT

I’ll take it a step further

Even in a long season

At Iowa , Indiana and Nebraska are games we just hae to have

Likelyhood of a win on the road against Ohio state , Michigan state , and Illinois is lo

Plus , being 2-5 or worse going to be hard to make up ground to get to 10-10….

If we can get out of Champaign on J21 at 3-4/11-7….with Illinois , Michigan state , and a road game against OSU out of the way…and show signs of improvement along the way…

That’s what we need

The portal does suck but I won’t walk out on these guys. This is a team that maybe needs the fans to give them energy and not suck the life out of them.
I’ve played and watched sports at the highest level my entire life.
I’ve never seen the fans suck the life out of a team in all that time.
I’ve seen the opposite numerous times.

I’ll be watching and rooting like a madman tonight, I’m praying I don’t need to switch to TCM for health related reasons😊

Last edited:
I’ll take it a step further

Even in a long season

At Iowa , Indiana and Nebraska are games we just hae to have

Likelyhood of a win on the road against Ohio state , Michigan state , and Illinois is lo

Plus , being 2-5 or worse going to be hard to make up ground to get to 10-10….

If we can get out of Champaign on J21 at 3-4/11-7….with Illinois , Michigan state , and a road game against OSU out of the way…and show signs of improvement along the way…

That’s what we need
agree....if we dont split on the road i think we are in trouble...the pressure at 0-3 coming to play Indiana makes it a must win and somehow I think we bounce back for that one. I just do not like our matchups vs Nebby. I said in another thread, Pike does his best work when RU is the disrespected underdog. If this team can rally it can pick a few teams off at times this year, I just do not think we are constructed for long stretches of top level play.

Reactions: RUJMM78
You know it’s ugly and indefensible basketball when Katz puts RU last ! He’s been our biggest cheerleader in the media for the last few years.
I was about to post the same thing, and I don't think Katz is wrong, either.

It is what it is. This is a transition year. I'm going to casually watch the rest of the games knowing we have no chance at a tournament berth this year. Next season is obviously a much different story.

We may or may not finish last (don’t think we do), but putting us in the bottom 4 is very fair. The Stonehenge debacle drove that #14 ranking. Andy is still driving the bus for RU, he’s just driving it in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU24
Pike has been here too long for us to ever be rated 14th. Up until next year he and his staff have been, overall, poor recruiters and below average evaluators of high school talent.

Reactions: rume
Pike has been here too long for us to ever be rated 14th. Up until next year he and his staff have been, overall, poor recruiters and below average evaluators of high school talent.
Guess Ron, Geo and Caleb say hello to your “poor talent evaluation “ narrative as none of them were highly recruited

Go crawl back in your ignorant hole

Hard to argue right now.

Also...and some are gonna jump on me for this one....BUT.....Wouldn't be surprised if his love for THE RAC diminishes as well. It has NOT been the same place, the last 1.5 years, that it was prior to the 2022-23 season. We DID NOT have a great "home court" advantage, last year, that's for damn sure. I'm actually a little worried about what it will be like with Ace and Dylan next season. Does it become The RAC from 2-years ago OR does it become a bunch of people there ONLY to see those 2 and not actually Rutgers fans?

Reactions: bac2therac
Hard to argue right now.

Also...and some are gonna jump on me for this one....BUT.....Wouldn't be surprised if his love for THE RAC diminishes as well. It has NOT been the same place, the last 1.5 years, that it was prior to the 2022-23 season. We DID NOT have a great "home court" advantage, last year, that's for damn sure. I'm actually a little worried about what it will be like with Ace and Dylan next season. Does it become The RAC from 2-years ago OR does it become a bunch of people there ONLY to see those 2 and not actually Rutgers fans?

Not having fans in 20-21 plus the stupid insane rules for covid vax id masking and no food in 21-22 hurt..and you see lingering effects in a ok but not great student section

Reactions: RU24
Not having fans in 20-21 plus the stupid insane rules for masking and no food in 21-22 hurt..and you see lingering effects in a ok but not great student section
But wsn't '21-22 the year that he fell in love with THE RAC? And the student section/HCA was pretty damn good? Maybe I'm losing my mind (again) lol!

But wsn't '21-22 the year that he fell in love with THE RAC? And the student section/HCA was pretty damn good? Maybe I'm losing my mind (again) lol!

It was..we beat Purdue....BUT last year wasnt good. You had a group who were freshmen who missed 20-21..they are now seniors...its a subtle effect imo but enough to make a difference

It was..we beat Purdue....BUT last year wasnt good. You had a group who were freshmen who missed 20-21..they are now seniors...its a subtle effect imo but enough to make a difference
AHHHHH GOTCHA! Makes sense!

A “power” ranking is literally “right now” .. you guys are so funny lol. No one is asking his final standings prediction. “Power” ranking means who you think every team would beat the teams below it if they played tomorrow. Meaning Rutgers would lose to all the B1G teams, which is hard to argue

Reactions: malaka27
Guess Ron, Geo and Caleb say hello to your “poor talent evaluation “ narrative as none of them were highly recruited

Go crawl back in your ignorant hole
And Miller, Souf Mensah and Matt Bullock say to hello to you. By the way, holes are just that, holes. They can't take on human personality traits.

And Miller, Souf Mensah and Matt Bullock say to hello to you. By the way, holes are just that, holes. They can't take on human personality traits.
Wow
Judging on bench players
Brilliant analysis
Go back to sleep

Hard to argue right now.

The RAC crowd has minimal impact when the team has long scoring droughts.With Ace and Dylan Rutgers finally has elite talent on the court who will be go to scorers at crunch time.The 8000 who attend will mostly be the same season ticket holders for many years plus the student section which will be sold out.Talent matters in sports and this season its lacking.Last seasons team failed to perform up to expectations largely caused by injuries.

Wow
Judging on bench players
Brilliant analysis
Go back to sleep
P5 coaches don't often recruit high school players unless they envision them starting at one point. Pike has had some hits, but considering who we play, there have been more misses than hits. "Ignorant hole, go back to sleep, brilliant analysis" - your contributions are rarely substantive.

P5 coaches don't often recruit high school players unless they envision them starting at one point. Pike has had some hits, but considering who we play, there have been more misses than hits. "Ignorant hole, go back to sleep, brilliant analysis" - your contributions are rarely substantive.
My contributions aren’t posting stupid things like you very frequently do

The “more misses” comment perfectly sums it up

My contributions aren’t posting stupid things like you very frequently do

The “more misses” comment perfectly sums it up
"Ignorant hole, go back to sleep, brilliant analysis," and now "posting stupid things." Again nothing substantive.

"Ignorant hole, go back to sleep, brilliant analysis," and now "posting stupid things." Again nothing substantive.
Say stupid things and that’s the response you deserve

Must suck to live in a glass half empty world

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT