ADVERTISEMENT

Bad News on the Horizon?

Maybe the bad news is that, Naas Cunningham is coming here too. So the bad news -- is directed at the Opps

Reactions: superfan01
Much rather it’s Mag, since I don’t expect much out of him next season anyway.
could be rehab isn't going like expected and sitting out 2023-24 is the plan
But could be anything about any one on the roster.

Not depressing. One position that is easy to replace in the portal is an undersized 2 guard. Plenty of them.

If it is him I am sad because he was easy to root for. From a wins/loss perspective it doesn’t move the needle at all.
Well, that’s what I meant was depressing. Really liked him and was looking forward to watching him kick ass over the years. Again, I know nothing.

Healthy mag would be a huge loss. Guy cant get through a season without getting hurt. If he comes back at 90% is it still a huge loss?
Yup. Doubt we get 100% Mag at all next season…and the version we get would probably be Dec-Jan at best. Wouldn’t like to lose him, but it’s not the end of the world. Need to work the portal for a big.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
If it’s Mag, which seems to be the inside story, I completely was not counting on him until late season. By that time our rotation will have been set, so while a loss, not as huge as it was last season. It’s a new era, and we now have more tools in the shed. Next man up, no matter what.

If it’s Mag, which seems to be the inside story, I completely was not counting on him until late season. By that time our rotation will have been set, so while a loss, not as huge as it was last season. It’s a new era, and we now have more tools in the shed. Next man up, no matter what.
Agree with this. Never know how he rehabs and comes back. How many more years did he have though?

Mag leaving would be absolutely brutal. Caleb and Mag gone is a major hit to our defense

The offense will be better with the new additions brought in, but it will be officially time to start worrying about defense

Fernandes Cam Gavin Paul Cliff? Can we handle guarding the opposing team's quickest guard and best wing? Who is our best perimeter one on one defender? Will people get consistently beat and force Cliff into foul trouble and getting out of position for rebounds in help D?

Not sure why people insist on recovery timelines from the 80's. People talking about medical retirements and missing the season. If it's a slow recovery, he's back for the B1G schedule which would be fine

Need to land a portal 4. Hyatt Paul Gavin Chol would basically be the options with many of those not ideal options for the position

Mag leaving would be absolutely brutal. Caleb and Mag gone is a major hit to our defense

The offense will be better with the new additions brought in, but it will be officially time to start worrying about defense

Fernandes Cam Gavin Paul Cliff? Can we handle guarding the opposing team's quickest guard and best wing? Who is our best perimeter one on one defender? Will people get consistently beat and force Cliff into foul trouble and getting out of position for rebounds in help D?

Not sure why people insist on recovery timelines from the 80's. People talking about medical retirements and missing the season. If it's a slow recovery, he's back for the B1G schedule which would be fine

Need to land a portal 4. Hyatt Paul Gavin Chol would basically be the options with many of those not ideal options for the position

I love our defensive intensity and philosophy but the reality is that with the infusion of talent forthcoming we need to start ramping up the offense, and naturally our defense is probably gonna take a hit.

Getting Cliff back is much more important next year than Mag when it comes to defense.

To be honest, I'm not shocked... Mag's best friend (Jalen) and the guy (Hobbs) who recruited him are gone... also, I think RU will not be as much of a defensive-centric team going forward... to win and stay in games, Pike had to stress D and rebounding... RU is now able to attract more talented/offensive players so guys like Mag won't be as important to the program.

With that said, Pike will still hang his hat on strong D and rebounding, but reliable offensive options will be available, which has not been the case since he took the reins on the banks.

I love our defensive intensity and philosophy but the reality is that with the infusion of talent forthcoming we need to start ramping up the offense, and naturally our defense is probably gonna take a hit.

Getting Cliff back is much more important next year than Mag when it comes to defense.
A - friggin - Men!!! I’d rather win 85 to 75 then hold on or lose a “defensive battle. Tired of it

I don’t know anything, but if Mawot’s best friend is leaving, and his recruiter is gone, and he is thousands of miles away from his only other support system in the States (in CA)…..seems a strong possibility.

If it's Mag we need a big in the portal in the worst way. It would seem very strange to me to transfer weeks after an ACL tear and rehab somewhere where there is no connection to the program.

The one time free transfer rule sucks. Why would a coach ever want to recruit a high schooler (who can leave at the drop of the hat) over a transfer (who is heavily disincentivized to leave)? Not to mention the tampering...

Last edited:
Did it actually say anywhere that the bad news is a transfer or is that just what everyone is assuming?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT