ADVERTISEMENT

Best individual performance in a clutch situation

If we make the tourney, this game goes down as an all-timer. Thought our dancin’ dreams were done with a loss.

Reactions: zebnatto
That game by Santiago at Pitt was amazing as was Douby's game at the Carrier Dome. Roberts 3 at the buzzer in OT was his only 3 that he made in his career at Cuse and he hit it at the 3 point line straight on with a bank shot. talk about a lucky shot. That was so upsetting.

Are you sure about the bank? I recall it being a perfect swish. And Inman was tracking him down court but sagged off as he stopped to launch the three and I was screaming Nooooooo!

I actually cried after that game.

By the way, it was Doubt who found Webb in the right corner for the tying three at the end of regulation. And Farmer who hit the go ahead 3 at the end of OT leading to Cuse's 3 to win it.

Hughes at PSI in 90-91 was incredible. He had 37 points at the 10 min mark of the second half but went cold. Ended up with 40. I was there with about 6 others RI fans that night. I had trouble walking my legs were so shakey after we eeked out a win as PSU had a bounce pass into the post deflected to seal the win as the buzzer sounded.

I've ever seen at RU.
It was so nice to see him back. I love when he gets aggressive like that and has the confidence to score. I really think coming into this game he was definitely not close to being 100 percent. I think this is the first game since he broke his thumb where I've seen him go all out even counting the game winning shot against Nebraska. I think he's back. And now let's hope we can get Harper back as well. Ron seemed to slowly get out of his funk tonight. We need both of them at or near the best to compete the rest of the way.

You have a shitty memory as Corey did it 2 years ago.
Yes I must have a "shitty memory". I forgot that we were on the verge of getting into to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 30 years, that it was all slipping away in an untimely clunker and that we were down 18 . I forgot how Cory put us on his back, scored 23 second half points and miraculously kept our NCAA hopes alive.

Sellers and others from that team and era. Maybe Hinson and battle too. Someone maybe Chris remley at the meadowlands.

But those are details. This was a magnificent performance.

Remley hit that big game winner versus Notre Dame, but I don’t recall him carrying the load at the end of the game, more of a team effort

Damon so-so as a junior had a fantastic Senior year. I went from saying Damon don’t shoot as the junior to marveling at his game as a Senior. An all time favorite! Geo has the potential to duplicate and surpass many RU all time favorites!
Damon had the all-time one year improvement. Great senior season.

What about Mitchell hitting that 4 point play to beat Villanova
I was going to mention that Mitchell play. I was there then and last night. Great moments. Love me some GEO when he is ON!!!!! Become a legend son!

Didn't Geo also have a big game in the B1G tournament at the Garden as a freshman. I understand the stakes were much higher last night.

Remley hit that big game winner versus Notre Dame, but I don’t recall him carrying the load at the end of the game, more of a team effort

I thought he went for 25 or so. If not that have anything in that era where a three point shooter was unconscious.

he had a stress fracture his sophomore year and I always thought that threw off his game his junior year. It was such a pleasure to watch him his senior year as it all came together.

I thought he went for 25 or so. If not that have anything in that era where a three point shooter was unconscious.

I actually have that game on tape, but have not viewed it in a long time..... we stole the ball on an inbound, I believe, a few seconds before....He got the ball after a couple of passes and was wide open for an uncontested shot...

the funny thing, the announcers of the game were obviously biased ND people.... when Remley got the ball and squared up, one of them muttered oh-oh, in
anticipation of the shot.....

not sure if Remley got that many points as you recall, but I would not put the end game scenario in the category of
the Sellers, or Geo, dribbling at the top of the key, waiting to make a game winning move...

Remleys shot in this game was more of a catch and shoot......hell, it was a great thing in any regard

edit:...for the heck of it, I will see if I can see how many points he had that day

here is the game! John Battle led RU with 23 points, it says

Last edited:
I was going to mention that Mitchell play. I was there then and last night. Great moments. Love me some GEO when he is ON!!!!! Become a legend son!

That was a shot....this was different. This was about one man for 7-8 minutes taking the team on his back and individually making every shot......and then add the fact that he guarded NW best player as this was going on.

Thought you were doing an Oscar thing with your thread title, with the payoff line being, "and the Oscar goes to Geo Baker!" Was pretty amazing.

So done with Hollywood I didn’t make the connection LOL

That was a shot....this was different. This was about one man for 7-8 minutes taking the team on his back and individually making every shot......and then add the fact that he guarded NW best player as this was going on.

absolutely.....there is a difference between one guy making a game winning shot, and someone putting the team on his back towards the end of the game to get it done....Geo came close to carrying the team at the end, and having the balls to just dribble the clock down, and everyone knowing that he was going to make a late move towards the basket

Mitchell had a lot of help before the game winning shot, and his shot was also a catch and shoot....one of our guards hit a big three from the corner, a few moments before, etc

Reactions: zebnatto
absolutely.....there is a difference between one guy making a game winning shot, and someone putting the team on his back towards the end of the game to get it done....Geo came close to carrying the team at the end...

Mitchell had a lot of help before the game winning shot, one of our guards hit a big three from the corner, a few moments before, etc

When a coach for multiple possessions in a row tells the other 4 guys on the court to watch and don't get in the way that is a carrying of the team.

When a coach for multiple possessions in a row tells the other 4 guys on the court to watch and don't get in the way that is a carrying of the team.

I was agreeing, maybe should have left the came close part out... Geo did carry us

They referenced that Pitt game as the last time we won a game we trailed by 18 or more. That one was a fluke. We were down 20 with 8 min left. Santiago hit a turn around 3 off an inbound with 1 second left.
that team won 9 games - this is for a chance to dance - a NW loss would have been devastating to our resume

put the video of the entire game in my post above.... if you go to the end, see if you can hear the announcer as Remley gets ready to shoot
The color guy was totally awful but some interesting tidbits:
1. Ellerbe stepped out of bounds when he made the steal setting up the final shot. Should have been ND ball.
2. Didn’t remember how quick Ellerbe was.
3. At the beginning of the game the announcer described ND and Rutgers as 2 programs “steeped in basketball tradition”.

Reactions: wheezer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT