ADVERTISEMENT

Big East is a sham!

5 out of 6 went down early. One in sweet sixteen and Marquette lost at home to Penn State.

I was waiting for this nonsensical thread.

Is the BIg East a bit overrated? A bit. But not much more than that.

Seton Hall loses by four to a #1 seed. Creighton loses an 8-9 game. Providence loses to a higher seed. Butler loses close to a #2 seed.
Meanwhile, Michigan State loses to an 11 seed many people didn't think would get in. (Although Jimmy does seem to do well when not much is expected of his teams.) Neither Michigan nor Purdue has played a P5 team to get to the regional semis. And only four Big Ten teams got in for the first time in 10 years. And judging by the NIT seeds, nobody else was that close to getting in. Even with those huge athletic budgets.

Keep waiting for the Big East to die. Not going to happen. It is what it should be -- a basketball league. Meanwhile, so many Rutgers fans look down their noses at programs as if we've accomplished something other than being located in a big media market.

Sure, it's easy to judge a conference by how it does in the NCAA Tournament. It's important and highly visible. But so much in the tourney is about matchups, to say nothing of travel, momentum, health.

If UConn decides it's a basketball school and hires the right coach -- not Mr. Hurley -- and Hardaway does at Memphis what people think he is going to do -- and Memphis just opened a $20 million practice facility to go along with the big arena it plays in sitting in fertile recruiting territory), the American will have four or five NCAA-capable teams most years. Then what will some of you people say? (Yes, I know those are ifs, but they are better possibilities than most of our ifs.)

We suck moose balls. Again. But the Big East, with more tournament teams than the larger Big Ten,is a sham. And the Big 12 is a dumpster fire. Sure. Whatever.

Reactions: shu2x79
6 out of 10 is a little much and like I wrote in another thread Marquette by Lunardi was always last 4 out. Penn State won at Marquette without Watkins even playing. The conference was good but i think PSU was as good as Creighton and Marquette.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT