ADVERTISEMENT

Big man

shields

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2002
Since that thread was locked, i keep reading about Doorson and Diallo. I was in school when hinson was here and he was not that good as a freshman. Most of you on here would have killed him. Well Roy went to big man camps and worked on his game and played in NBA. I just don't think you can judge a kid on one year. Plus i think these two kids will now be coached.

Last edited:
You can't compare these guys to Roy Hinson, Hinson was a great athlete who was very raw relative to basketball skills, which as you suggest he worked very hard to overcome. Also Tom Young was a great developer of talent especially big men. Duerson and Diallo simply don't have the athleticism of Hinson, therefore their upside in limited.

Reactions: RUPDS06
Doorson hasn't played in a real game for a year and a half. Diallo played in a handful this season, the last few of which were coming of a significant injury, after waiting a year to play.

It's not fair to compare either to Hinson, but both are talented enough to mature and hone their skills into a package that RU fans will remember for a long time...particularly Doorson.

Not saying they are Hinson but big guys take time. Not after one year and yes these two kids have to work and this coaching staff is an upgrade. Story about Hinson, remember John Pinone of Nova? Hinson played against him as a frosh and Pinone destroyed him and had like 28 points versus Roy. After senior year they played in an All star game. Pinone shot the ball a few times and Roy blocked like every shot. Roy got better and bigger and I hope Doorson gets in the weight room.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
Doorson and Diallo are true back to the basket Cs to me, while Hinson was an athletic PF. So I don't think the comparison fits. Regardless, I think Doorson can develop into a very effective C on both ends. I think Diallo is more likely to be a combo C/PF , 5th big man on a squad.

My worry is that I don't trust either of them to get through a full season without getting injured

I played in High School with Roy at Franklin. He was CUT from the Freshman team...Our senior year, we were great..He was a late bloomer, yes..THAT SAID, he was an OUTSTANDING shot blocker, quick like a cat, played D like crazy, hustled, instincts.. He had quick moves is YEARS ahead of Doorson..Don't compare them, please, you look foolish.. Below are Roy's RU freshman stats...Not what you portray it to be...Not sure what games you watched, but I saw alot...ZERO TURNOVERS!! 60 BLOCKS!!!!??? 50% from the floor..????!!

G MIN FG FGA FT FTA REB PF AST TO BLK STL PTS
28 796 115 228 42 76 157 87 3 0 60 8 272

So...Do you care to revise your assessment?

I played in High School with Roy at Franklin. He was CUT from the Freshman team...Our senior year, we were great..He was a late bloomer, yes..THAT SAID, he was an OUTSTANDING shot blocker, quick like a cat, played D like crazy, hustled, instincts.. He had quick moves is YEARS ahead of Doorson..Don't compare them, please, you look foolish.. Below are Roy's RU freshman stats...Not what you portray it to be...Not sure what games you watched, but I saw alot...ZERO TURNOVERS!! 60 BLOCKS!!!!??? 50% from the floor..????!!

G MIN FG FGA FT FTA REB PF AST TO BLK STL PTS
28 796 115 228 42 76 157 87 3 0 60 8 272

So...Do you care to revise your assessment?
Hell, I would take those stats from a senior big man!

I'm glad these stats were posted as Roy was a rising star from the time he arrived at RU. He was that good. He became an All American and had an outstanding NBA career until his serious injury ended it. I believe he averaged like 18 or 19 ppg for a while. He was very good indeed.

Reactions: RUPDS06
I just checked. Roy averaged 19.6 ppg for Cleveland in the 1985-86 season. He averaged 17.6 ppg for the Nets in 1987-88. He was a first round draft pick at #20 for Cleveland in 1983. He played 8 years in the NBA but his last 2 years he only played 25 and 9 games after his serious knee injury. His last year at RU he averaged 16.6 ppg and almost 5 blocks per game. His first year at RU he averaged 9.7ppg which is pretty impressive for a freshman.

And they're off. The off season has begun in full swing, and with it yet again the potential and talent of the roster begins to swell and swell until the games start. I wonder how long these type of "remnant" threads from the Jordan era about "most of you here" will continue now that we have moved on. But for now here's another. It's clear that this is all still a sore spot for some, and it will keep getting attention for some time.

Fortunately, there is new leadership and something interesting to follow now. Over time there will be fewer and fewer of these attempts to fight old battles and more discussion (there is some already) on whether and how the program is changing--we hope for the better.

The war is over. Wormer dropped the big one. Let it go.

And they're off. The off season has begun in full swing, and with it yet again the potential and talent of the roster begins to swell and swell until the games start. I wonder how long these type of "remnant" threads from the Jordan era about "most of you here" will continue now that we have moved on. But for now here's another. It's clear that this is all still a sore spot for some, and it will keep getting attention for some time.

Fortunately, there is new leadership and something interesting to follow now. Over time there will be fewer and fewer of these attempts to fight old battles and more discussion (there is some already) on whether and how the program is changing--we hope for the better.

Funny I read thru the entire thread, not one mention of Jordan. Tom Young yes, but not Jordan. OP was just trying to say lets see how the two bigs develop. Jay Young is supposed to be a very good big man guy. I am hopeful he can help develop our bigs.

True story of Roy Hinson, my claim to fame in HS basketball was getting an and one on Roy. Also later in life I worked with Roy's mom.

Reactions: Scangg

Ummmm....

What are you talking about? What about this thread invokes Eddie Jordan? The fact that Doorson and Diallo were Jordan recruits?

Maybe take your own suggestion and "let it go"...it'll be life affirming

Ummmm....

What are you talking about? What about this thread invokes Eddie Jordan? The fact that Doorson and Diallo were Jordan recruits?

Look, we get that you're going to spin things positively. It's what you do and it's good in the sense that it gives the board some balance from us realists.

But forgive some of us if we have to see something... anything.... from one of these two guys to believe they're going to be a contributors on a solid Big Ten team some day.

Ummmm....

Is this a discussion in which it's obvious what's being discussed but some act as if it isn't? OK, I'll be the guy who says the obvious. If you really want to continue, you can be the guy who denies it. Yesterday's thread was about a player Jordan recruited who "most people here did not want." Remember, you ventured opinions, had them challenged, and locked it. This thread is the same thread. It replaces two Eddie signees for the one he wanted. It starts by linking itself to that thread: "Since that thread was locked." It goes one to address what "most of you on here" would do, just as yesterday's gave the "most people here did not want" opinion. It continues with you giving your opinion, and, who knows, it may meet the same fate. But it's more of the same, an echo of every thread we've seen on here for 1.5 years. The comparison itself has already been torn to shreds from a few posters. But that was shooting fish, just like the last 1.5 years.

It usually takes a while. But it can be painful watching the death throes of these message board discussions that were long since decided. I'd suggest just locking this one too.

Hinson was quick and could leap out of the building. He was so thin as a freshman but slowly built up. We dont have a front court player his talent level on our roster, not even close.

I seem to remember Hinson being much better as a frosh than any of our current big men in their beginnings... Hinson always was a decent defender and show better potential overall.

John Pinone was eventually selected as an all American inn his senior year...... I remember telling a Nova fan that Pinone could carry Hinsons shoes for him when Hinson became a pro, and the Nova fan went nuts...... I think I was proven correct over time.

Pinone....... Drafted in June, waived in November, only to fade away.

Last edited:
We don't have a Roy Hinson on our roster.I'll take a Gene Armstead.

I think both Diallo and Doorson will contribute, Doorson esp as a shot blocker.

There was genuine excitement during and after Hinson's freshman year about his overall ability, including but not limited to his ability to just sky out of nowhere and block shots. He was an impressive freshman.

2.7ppg/2.9 rpg....those are Hamady N'Diaye's stats as a freshman at Rutgers.

I hope one or both of these guys can develop like N'Diaye. ANYONE forming an opinion on a young big man's level of ability/ability to play at a high level does so against a mountain of evidence suggesting that young bigs tend to develop slowly.

Reactions: MADHAT1 and Scangg
Doorson hasn't played in a real game for a year and a half. Diallo played in a handful this season, the last few of which were coming of a significant injury, after waiting a year to play.

It's not fair to compare either to Hinson, but both are talented enough to mature and hone their skills into a package that RU fans will remember for a long time...particularly Doorson.
Also, while injury is never a good thing, both of these guys will be in the program for five years when all is said and done. For big men, that extra year can be crucial in their development. I think both of these players are under-rated. I think the new staff's strength is going to be player development and these two will benefit greatly.

Shields

Roy was VERY solid as a frosh...he got almost 10 ppg splitting time with Jeff allen before jeff saw the writing on the wall and transferred to St Johns and Louis Carnasecca

Roy was like every frosh...he got into plenty of foul trouble

Once Rutgers switched to more zone after kelvin troy left after his soph year, he stayed on the court more and his numbers went up

Doorson is a kid I think has a huge upside...and his best basketball is probably not going to be reached during his college years if he should play any type of pro ball

The kid has basketball skills and coordination...and that is something not always there in a person of his size

He will be the first test for the new assistant Poole and how he can develop big man.

That was my point with the Pinone story as Roy was destroyed by Pinone. Three years later Pinone was not in his class as a player. Roy got better.

Yes, Armstead was very good as well but most posters probably never saw him play or ever heard of him. Only us old guys know how good he was.

Is this a discussion in which it's obvious what's being discussed but some act as if it isn't? OK, I'll be the guy who says the obvious. If you really want to continue, you can be the guy who denies it. Yesterday's thread was about a player Jordan recruited who "most people here did not want." Remember, you ventured opinions, had them challenged, and locked it. This thread is the same thread. It replaces two Eddie signees for the one he wanted. It starts by linking itself to that thread: "Since that thread was locked." It goes one to address what "most of you on here" would do, just as yesterday's gave the "most people here did not want" opinion. It continues with you giving your opinion, and, who knows, it may meet the same fate. But it's more of the same, an echo of every thread we've seen on here for 1.5 years. The comparison itself has already been torn to shreds from a few posters. But that was shooting fish, just like the last 1.5 years.

It usually takes a while. But it can be painful watching the death throes of these message board discussions that were long since decided. I'd suggest just locking this one too.
No reason to lock this one my friend. It's a good conversation about Rutgers basketball, not a guy who's playing at Iowa now.

See, I, unlike you and you ilk, am not pushing an agenda on anyone...unless you consider keeping a positive and supportive view of the program no matter what state it finds itself in to be an agenda....

I am truly sorry if that has failed to sink in with you and your gang of like minded buddies.

Welcome to a VERY exclusive list though! Just made my life easier...so thanks!

That was my point with the Pinone story as Roy was destroyed by Pinone. Three years later Pinone was not in his class as a player. Roy got better.
-----------
and to add to that thought, Pinone got drafted in the 3rd round and played in seven NBA games ....total
Roy played in 507 games, had a career average of a little better than 14 points/game, peaking at almost 20/game in 1985

Pinone led Villanova in scoring as a frosh, Wikipedia has it that he was the only frosh there ever to do it..... so, as you indicate, he
got off to a great start in his college career..... but quickly fell off the charts as he attempted to go pro.

Reactions: shields
Thanks Wheezer, my point was not that Doorson will be Hinson but that Roy got better. Hope Doorson is in weight room and just gets better.

Reactions: PaKnight
No reason to lock this one my friend. It's a good conversation about Rutgers basketball, not a guy who's playing at Iowa now.

See, I, unlike you and you ilk, am not pushing an agenda on anyone...unless you consider keeping a positive and supportive view of the program no matter what state it finds itself in to be an agenda....

I am truly sorry if that has failed to sink in with you and your gang of like minded buddies.

"My friend," "you and your ilk," "agenda," "failed to sink in," "you and your gang," "like minded buddies?" Boy oh boy. When the fangs come out.

Reactions: Local Shill
Think it is time we all did a reset. Can't remember now who supported keeping EJ another year--some say Choppin' but he is all in on the new staff, as we all should be, For my part, will not mention Gary Waters/ Mulcahy / FHJ again. Hopefully those that want to ping on the new staff will cease worrying about filling out the roster--they did the same worrying about filling out the staff, and why wasn't Karl Hobbs formally announced. Like they were just looking for some reason to say I told you so. If you need to inflate your ego by saying I told you so to a bunch of anonymous posters..... As noted let's all do a reset. Negative? Conflict, sure--nature of an anonymous message board. But let's give it a rest about who we think should have been coaching RU, and get back to the normal squabbles about the schedule, who to sign, PT, offensive and defensive sets, etc.
TL

Putting someone on ignore.. A 45-year-old man acting like petulant 14-year-old girl.

I remember when we recruited Armstead. It was a big deal for a program that virtually had not had an African American to speak of since Paul Robeson .Our squads looked like the SEC until that point .It was only a few years later that our. Fab 5 came to fruition, 6 if you count Abdel Anderson

Sounds like some are down on Doorson and Diallo's talents because they are Jordan's recruits.
If that's the case, Sanders' talent must come into question because he's a Jordan recruit.

I'll go with Doorson and Diallo must prove their B1G material and injuries have delayed that process.
Fron Doorson's bio on scarletknights.com:> A gifted rebounder certain to become a defensive presence…Complements his size with impressive agility, which enables him to run the floor and share the ball well…Overseas player who communicates well and has a drive to succeed.The No. 2-ranked 2014 prospect in Europe and the No. 16 center recruit overall according to ESPN Recruiting…<

Diallo's bio :>Has the potential to make a significant defensive impact due to his length, athleticism and shot blocking ability…Has a nice touch around the basket and the ability to score with both hands.Rated as the ninth-best prospect in the state of North Carolina and the nation’s 27th overall center by ESPN…<

Reactions: Loyal-Son
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT