ADVERTISEMENT

This is not gonna be popular but

Rutgers needs a assistant coach that can teach centers post moves around the basket.Cliff should be further along in being a offensive threat.I agree that Cliff looked like he was playing with a injury.
I'd prefer an assistant coach who has worked somewhere like Iowa and can get more motion offense installed.
Forget about the low post game unless you have a mis-match, making that kind of offense a priority is a a mistake

I think it's time to move on from Cliff. He has really bad hands, cannot shoot a jumper, takes wild out of control shots, and frankly gets eaten by decent athletic centers. He does not box out and bc of bad hands loses too many rebounds. He does not play mean...at all. Roy Hinson who was built similarly was mean rebounded blocked shots and had a decent jumper. I love Cliff, great story, great person but is just a pedestrian player. I think we could find a way better player in the portal.

There are many other problems of course.
DUMB!!!

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I think it's time to move on from Cliff. He has really bad hands, cannot shoot a jumper, takes wild out of control shots, and frankly gets eaten by decent athletic centers. He does not box out and bc of bad hands loses too many rebounds. He does not play mean...at all. Roy Hinson who was built similarly was mean rebounded blocked shots and had a decent jumper. I love Cliff, great story, great person but is just a pedestrian player. I think we could find a way better player in the portal.

Using words like "pedestrian" and saying we could find a "way better" player are absurd, I'm sure after having some time to think about that you would agree...

Not long ago- I had posted that I thought Cliff needed to be more aggressive on rebounds- play the ball like he owns it and no one else is allowed to have it and that it just seems like he needs to get a little stronger. Also- just needed to work on a shot outside of the dunk.
A few posters questioned me about it.

With that said- OP- you crazy? lol

Cliff is such an important part of this team. But I think everything he needs help with, can be coached. Would also love to see more of plays where they get him the ball inside and he recognizes before it is even in his hands that he will not have a clear dunk and he immediately feeds it back outside for an easy 3. There are too many times he gets it and the other team has 2-3 guys in on him tight- that leaves 1-2 guys on our side open.

How about (dare I say it) we get him a dedicated big man coach like Jay young was instead of keeping all this dead weight at assistant coach?

Reactions: Bayonnebomber79
Cliff is definitely a flawed player but I seriously doubt there will be a player in the portal who you can say with any confidence is definitively better. Where such players exist, they are probably headed to the NBA, not the portal. I think we happily take Cliff back if he wants to come back. He has a tough decision to make. He will be 22 next year, he is nowhere near being an NBA player, I have my doubts there would be much G league interest, and there would be a lot of pressure to improve quickly if he were able to go the G-league route. Players become stale quickly. I think he might be better off going to Europe to work on his game, where he would not be under the gun to improve quickly, and he can someday try to get to the NBA if his game develops.

We could lose Cliff, and replace him with someone who is not as good, who doesn't average as many points or rebounds or blocked shots, but is a better fit for the team and makes the team better than Cliff did.
Not a knock on Cliff at all.

Does Filip Rebraca have a younger brother playing somewhere? 😀 😀 😀

If they all come back, team will be built around Cliff, Cam, and Derrick.

We could lose Cliff, and replace him with someone who is not as good, who doesn't average as many points or rebounds or blocked shots, but is a better fit for the team and makes the team better than Cliff did.
Not a knock on Cliff at all.

Does Filip Rebraca have a younger brother playing somewhere? 😀 😀 😀
I agree that Cliff has his warts but he was tailor made for Pike on D. His ability to hedge on pick and rolls and recover back to the paint is elite. It really is one of the reasons why RU led the BIG in 3 point defense and struggled when he was out.

Yes, lets keep Reiber and jettison Cliff.

• Haha
Reactions: RedTeam1994
Good lord. It won’t be popular because it’s idiotic. Sometimes you need to lean into the minimal self awareness you have to recognize your a dope and should stfu
Well that's unnecessary. Post wasn't crazy or out of line.

Zach Edey and maybe Hunter Dickinson are maybe better.....which big man in the B1G or around the country is better......??

2nd team all B1G, 1st team all defense is practically a lock next year.

This is a 5-15 B1G roster in 13th place with any other B1G man on it, outside of Edey or Dickinson.
I don’t think some really appreciate what Cliff brings to the table. Scary where we would’ve been without him … not even NIT.

Wasn’t out of line but was crazy-stupid
It’s out of line both in terms of content meaning we should dump cliff which is just sheer stupidity. But also in terms of timing. The guy pours his heart and soul into the program and has been nothing but a huge positive and on the eve of an emotional and disappointing end to a grueling season you have attention seekers saying stupid things like this. So I think it’s both out of line as well as stupid.

Cliff went out often because of fouls, bad ones, unnecessary ones. He also went out at the same time as others. So if we did do poorly after he was out it was not just him. Third, he is not a great player, he is good, but will only get you so far, which is really not far enuff. If he comes back and if he improves that would be great. If he goes I believe we can get a better 5 who can play defense and score and rebound. There are reasons why he is not on any draft board.

Without Cliff we are nothing period

I would like him back but we need a decent backup. Reiber was brought in as a 6-9 205lb forward and tried to turn him into a B10 center. This year we have a 6-8 TE as backup. That is why there is a drop off. Unfortunately teams have learned he rattles when double teamed and has no elevation and arc on his short game so big centers don't need to jump to block his shot, just stay in front of him. He needs to work on those aspects as well as positioning and boxing out. Hands we will have to live with. He is great at grabbing high rebounds and blocking shots and these things won us a few.

I would like him back but we need a decent backup. Reiber was brought in as a 6-9 205lb forward and tried to turn him into a B10 center. This year we have a 6-8 TE as backup. That is why there is a drop off. Unfortunately teams have learned he rattles when double teamed and has no elevation and arc on his short game so big centers don't need to jump to block his shot, just stay in front of him. He needs to work on those aspects as well as positioning and boxing out. Hands we will have to live with. He is great at grabbing high rebounds and blocking shots and these things won us a few.
Wolf should be a fine backup 5 for Cliff next year after a full year in three program and basketball only focus

If Cliff leaves, we need a quality big man badly

Cliff is a good player, this is an absurd topic. He would be much better with consistent outside shooting on the roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT