ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Network TV Schedule

BTN determines its schedule based on projected national ratings. At this time on a national basis, we are not a big draw for most wrestling fans. Decisions are made on a financial basis and not to please one's fan base. Last year's finish at the NCAA tournament without any All Americans doesn't help us. Our only non-conference home match that would draw a lot of eye balls is Va. Tech. Unfortunately, Va. Tech is in November before BTN starts televising wrestling.

If we finish in the top 10 this year, I am sure we will be on the tube a lot more next year.

I don’t have cable and I’m pretty sure BTN matches get blacked out live on the BTN app/team pass so I’m fine with it

Reactions: njsportsphan
Yeah that's wild. I would think w the bump in overall rankings this year we would get a little more TV time.
Peteras you make a good point. The issue is that our preseason ranking per Flo is 25th tied with Lehigh. Flo probably has the most accurate college rankings and Willie probably has the best high school ranking. In the past network executives got excited by our early rankings and we underperformed. This year it looks like they want us to prove it first. I believe that Flo is underestimating us and we deserve more than one appearance. It is just another motiving factor to get the 5 or 6 AAs that WNG forecasts.

Reactions: Peteras9144
Peteras you make a good point. The issue is that our preseason ranking per Flo is 25th tied with Lehigh. Flo probably has the most accurate college rankings and Willie probably has the best high school ranking. In the past network executives got excited by our early rankings and we underperformed. This year it looks like they want us to prove it first. I believe that Flo is underestimating us and we deserve more than one appearance. It is just another motiving factor to get the 5 or 6 AAs that WNG forecasts.
Totally understand the why behind it even if I don't agree with it.
My only issue here w the "prove it" category that they put us under-- we need screen time & visibility as much as possible. And we need it in a positive manner.
Rutgers athletics by and large has had a negative connotation to put it nicely. If we have a solid team on the upswing this year... We need the recruits to see it. Not just jersey guys and ones we have pursued, but all of em.

Reactions: Leonard23
Rutgers athletics has an unflattering image overall (and it’s really mostly because of lackluster football) but I think the Rutgers wrestling brand is pretty well respected

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT