ADVERTISEMENT

No. 14 Rutgers Wrestling Opens Big Ten Schedule with No. 21 Indiana, Purdue

What is Joey O. going to wrestle at next year? 141 or 149
He’s barely wrestled this year but he’s been 141 for 2 seasons. I think he’ll stay there especially if Cetta continues to hold his own. Fongaro is the only other real option we’d have at 141.

SCNJ - I was more thinking if Turley is back to AA level then the team can be nasty, more upside.
Well yeah for sure. Healthy Turley makes the team better than unhealthy Turley but I think there are bigger issues.

Hope Moore comes back next week. With Turley rejuvenated, we can have potentially 5 AAs plus Soldano and maybe Cetta scoring points in the Dance. Really need to get some portal upgrades at 157 and 165. Middleweights are brutal.

Hope Moore comes back next week. With Turley rejuvenated, we can have potentially 5 AAs plus Soldano and maybe Cetta scoring points in the Dance. Really need to get some portal upgrades at 157 and 165. Middleweights are brutal.
Unless Harer wants to redshirt, he will probably be at one of those two weights next year. I’m guessing 157 is the better option given that he is currently wrestling at 160.

Going to need to hit the portal hard for 165 and 174, unless Turley can get another year. Possibly 285 as well if Yara forgoes his last year, but hopefully not.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Thank you I thought the same it's a pain in the ass. @Clearscreen25 used to do our match threads but this guy @Tango Two a moderator came on and started merging the threads with his. Now we have this cluster fvck because of this guy.
#1 It's a weekend thread. #2 If you have been following the thread from the start, when you visit the thread again, it brings you right back where you left off. #3 It's pretty damn easy to start a thread. You could have started one in the same amount of time you took to bash the OP.
He’s not strong enough to finish
Even if he were strong enough, diving straight ahead and trying to latch onto a leg while collapsing on the stomach is not a recipe for success.

the announcer is terrible. does not know wrestling, did not prepare for Cetta, Shawver, Wykoff. If you are going to announce, pretend like you care.
Whether it’s announcing a sports event, emceeing a dinner, or running a meeting GET A FUTZING PRONUNCIATION CHART. I lived in Wyckoff and only today learned that I’ve been mispronouncing it for 41 years. Thanks BTN+!

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
I’ve been more impressed with Cetta who is also a home grown guy, and your best ability is availability. Hard to think he’s not the starter at the moment.

Crazy that Shawver has wrestled this week and is still probably our 3rd or 4th best wrestler on the roster. Between Peterson, Shawver, Moore, Poz, and Yara, we have 5 legit possibilities for AA’s and that doesn’t include wildcards in Turley and Soldano.
Good analysis. Agree.

Regarding Soldano it’s a weird situation and I don’t have the answer. It’s almost like he’s being stripped down and rebuilt. Completely understand the fear of throwing the baby out with the bath water but a few things to consider:

1. He was starting to lose matches to unranked guys and guys below his level. While these past few wins seem very tame, he’s winning matches again. He stopped the bleeding so to speak. I think as the season moves ahead he starts to get more comfortable again. At least I hope so. The important thing is he’s winning and riding guys out. I’ll take that for now.

2. Going from 2 to 3 points on takedowns really forces you to be more conservative. How many times has Soldano put himself in that elevator position only to lose the takedown, come back and do it again and he’s down 4-1. Bad, but still recoverable. However, this year that same scenario puts you down 6-1 and a reversal doesn’t even it up.

3. Perhaps we set expectations way to high early on after his early freshman fireworks. He set the bar so high that we kind of ignored the potential warts in his game. Even Goody was cautious in over hyping his early run.

Like any high level sport, coaches scout you and are looking for his funk. I would also like for him to open things back up, but at least he’s winning matches and that is the most important thing. He’s still young (has a redshirt) and probably a little under sized for 184.

Let’s let this play out a bit before pushing the panic button.

We have 5 potential AA yes, but none is a lock. None are ranked in top 5 and none has had a top 5 ranked win this season.. so a lot will have to do wit brackets n who runs hot still.. hopefully we will learn more during the meat of b10 schedule…

Soldano.. we need the dangerous version back.. maybe he needs grow out stashe again idk.. I remember him n Pinto were neck n neck for freshman at this weight n now yeah…

Cetta has been a great surprise but to be expecting scoring pts is a bit much.. rn prolly borderline NQ.

Clark is pretty good when healthy.. he’s def NQ lvl and was hoping he made another jump this year.. and White.. idk what happened from his RS season..

You could have started one in the same amount of time you took to bash the OP.
No, the last time someone tried to do it he merged it with his own thread. Also, a lot of times when you open the thread it does not take you back to the last post.

Last edited:
Unless Harer wants to redshirt, he will probably be at one of those two weights next year. I’m guessing 157 is the better option given that he is currently wrestling at 160.

Going to need to hit the portal hard for 165 and 174, unless Turley can get another year. Possibly 285 as well if Yara forgoes his last year, but hopefully not.
Hope Yara sticks around at Heavy as he could really do some damage next year.

Really good weekend for the team. Got some tough matches ahead but our depth is finally showing in certain spots. Even where we got losses everyone competed hard.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
PSU beat Indiana 46-0 today and didn’t give up a single takedown 😮

PSU beat Indiana 46-0 today and didn’t give up a single takedown 😮
PSU was a fav in every match except for 149 maybe.. no SVN? Kasak steps up casually TF the #14 guy…. Forgot PSU has Barr too.. jeez it’s going to be a battle for starting spot..

PSU was a fav in every match except for 149 maybe.. no SVN? Kasak steps up casually TF the #14 guy…. Forgot PSU has Barr too.. jeez it’s going to be a battle for starting spot..
Van Ness is out for the year

#1 It's a weekend thread. #2 If you have been following the thread from the start, when you visit the thread again, it brings you right back where you left off. #3 It's pretty damn easy to start a thread. You could have started one in the same amount of time you took to bash the OP.

Even if he were strong enough, diving straight ahead and trying to latch onto a leg while collapsing on the stomach is not a recipe for success.
I agree the technique is bad. Just saying the narrative we were fed pre season about white being plenty big and strong for 165 is proving to be fake news. White wouldn’t be the strongest 49lber, at 65 it’s Brutally apparent he can’t hang

Wonder if he has a MVB type moment and makes the cut back down next year.

Regarding Soldano it’s a weird situation and I don’t have the answer. It’s almost like he’s being stripped down and rebuilt. Completely understand the fear of throwing the baby out with the bath water but a few things to consider:

1. He was starting to lose matches to unranked guys and guys below his level. While these past few wins seem very tame, he’s winning matches again. He stopped the bleeding so to speak. I think as the season moves ahead he starts to get more comfortable again. At least I hope so. The important thing is he’s winning and riding guys out. I’ll take that for now.

2. Going from 2 to 3 points on takedowns really forces you to be more conservative. How many times has Soldano put himself in that elevator position only to lose the takedown, come back and do it again and he’s down 4-1. Bad, but still recoverable. However, this year that same scenario puts you down 6-1 and a reversal doesn’t even it up.

3. Perhaps we set expectations way to high early on after his early freshman fireworks. He set the bar so high that we kind of ignored the potential warts in his game. Even Goody was cautious in over hyping his early run.

Like any high level sport, coaches scout you and are looking for his funk. I would also like for him to open things back up, but at least he’s winning matches and that is the most important thing. He’s still young (has a redshirt) and probably a little under sized for 184.

Let’s let this play out a bit before pushing the panic button.
Some very good points here and with Donny right by his side, I'd have to think he is being reconstructed as well. Have faith (and patience) in the process.

He’s barely wrestled this year but he’s been 141 for 2 seasons. I think he’ll stay there especially if Cetta continues to hold his own. Fongaro is the only other real option we’d have at 141.
Is he hurt or just focusing on technique/practice? I'm not opposed to that approach with all the wear and tear many guys have from competing so much.
I agree the technique is bad. Just saying the narrative we were fed pre season about white being plenty big and strong for 165 is proving to be fake news. White wouldn’t be the strongest 49lber, at 65 it’s Brutally apparent he can’t hang
What narrative? Our fans tend make up their own narrative in their mind without any factual basis and then complain when it doesn't come true.

If Turley is done next year Soldano should think long and hard about dropping down to 174. His frame is so small it looks like he walks around maybe only 5 lbs heavier in the offseason and his competition, especially the top guys, are walking around well over 200 lbs in the offseason. I thought he should have dropped down this year but now watching him I don't think he would have beat Turley anyway.

If Turley is done next year Soldano should think long and hard about dropping down to 174. His frame is so small it looks like he walks around maybe only 5 lbs heavier in the offseason and his competition, especially the top guys, are walking around well over 200 lbs in the offseason. I thought he should have dropped down this year but now watching him I don't think he would have beat Turley anyway.
I think Soldano could be a beast at 174 next year if Turley hangs it up after the season.

I think Soldano could be a beast at 174 next year if Turley hangs it up after the season.
Does Turley have another season available? Would he stay? Someone must know.

Soldano could drop, but would that make him miserable and possibly weaker? He might be better off following Poz's approach to building muscle. I thought I saw Soldano with a more well-rounded offense earlier on. Yes, he preferred the funk but was effective with takedowns. Right now, he's giving up his legs too easily and isn't showing the offense he's capable of - nor the funk.

Watching Turley and Soldano warm up Turley actually looks like the bigger wrestler.
And no, I was a huge Soldano supporter and advocate but this version does not beat Turley IMO

Agree 100 percent

Is he hurt or just focusing on technique/practice? I'm not opposed to that approach with all the wear and tear many guys have from competing so much.

What narrative? Our fans tend make up their own narrative in their mind without any factual basis and then complain when it doesn't come true.
You didnt see any of the goody preseason pressers where he was repeatedly asked about white and he keeps saying the was a big strong 165? I’ll find some and resend if you haven’t. There are more than 1

Last edited:
You did see any of the goody preseason prescience where he was repeatedly asked about white and he keeps saying the was a big strong 165? I’ll find some and resend if you haven’t. There are more than 1
Goody was right if he was talking bout White physically.. he’s a good sized 165… he looks the part.. skill wise though, we can’t deny he regressed.. went from NQ lvl to prolly won’t be this year .

Goody was right if he was talking bout White physically.. he’s a good sized 165… he looks the part.. skill wise though, we can’t deny he regressed.. went from NQ lvl to prolly won’t be this year .
Until White develops something offensively besides a straight on shot that is easily defensed he will be what he is, maybe a .500 wrestler and not our answer at 165

Until White develops something offensively besides a straight on shot that is easily defensed he will be what he is, maybe a .500 wrestler and not our answer at 165
Wouldn’t count on it.. d1 is hard. White wasn’t a heralded recruit coming out of hs.. had an awesome RS season and that’s what created some expectations.

Reactions: SCNJ
He shouldn’t have been a NQ last year. No idea how he got a bid but Joey O didn’t.

I agreed. But in addition to his lack of skill he is also physically weak. Weighing in at 165 doesn’t mean you are a true 165. Just look at the bodies on his opponents,
he might be the weakest 165lb in the top 30. He might be the weakest 157lb in the top 30. Just because the scale reads 165 the day of weigh in doesn’t mean he’s physically on the same level as other 165lb in the country

• Haha
Does Turley have another season available? Would he stay? Someone must know.

Soldano could drop, but would that make him miserable and possibly weaker? He might be better off following Poz's approach to building muscle. I thought I saw Soldano with a more well-rounded offense earlier on. Yes, he preferred the funk but was effective with takedowns. Right now, he's giving up his legs too easily and isn't showing the offense he's capable of - nor the funk.
Turley never used a RS and this is year 5 this is his last year. He only had 6 matches with injury 1 year but he participated in a few duals 2nd semester so he's not eligible for a medical redshirt

• Sad
Reactions: njsportsphan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT