ADVERTISEMENT

BigTen Tournament Thread

Is there any way we can find out the results of the Matteo Pellicone results from Rome?

Flo showing it live(if you have Flo subscription) USA wrestling doing good job on twitter.

USA Going for Gold 57 kg – Nick Suriano 70 kg – Alec Pantaleo 74 kg – Jordan Burroughs 79 kg – David McFadden 86 kg – Mark Hall 86 kg - Zahid Valencia USA Going for Bronze 65 kg – Joey McKenna 86 kg – Myles Martin

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Crazy that they’re doing a 9th place bracket right now. These kids have been up probably since like 7am if not earlier and have been working all day.
Weigh-ins were at 7 AM so they've probably been up since 5 or 6 AM.
Yes, way too long of a day for the wrestlers(the afternoon break was to long). No reason for anyone to be wrestling after 11 at night. Then they have to work out to get some weight off, wake up early and work out again to make weight!

They do the 9th place bracket for all weights that have 8 bids because one of the at large criteria is to finish "one place away from an at large at your conference tournament"
Yeah absurdly too long of a day. The afternoon break was an hour longer than last year as we started session 2 at 6:30 PM last year. Why would they change that and start an hour later? I would've moved it up to 6 PM.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
It still was. He beat #2 Murin by shooting and getting a takedown not going upper body. He beat #3 Parriott by completing a reversal from standing not going upper body. One can still be true. It was a horrible strategy against Omania all he does is upper body and nothing else. He had a few days to get familiar with what he does best.
Told ya this guy would find something wrong with beating #2 and #3 ....wants to dwell on the negative ...always does

Told ya this guy would find something wrong with beating #2 and #3 ....wants to dwell on the negative ...always does

It was an honest assessment. What's negative about it? I said the same thing the moment MVB got caught in the headlock and yelled at my son who was watching with me. MSU was Headlock USA a year or two ago against us, and if Omania's best and only move is a headlock, you stay the hell away. Especially if the opponent is stockier and stronger. If he avoided the headlock, MVB might have been wrestling during primetime at 3 PM today on BTN. And he didnt find something wrong with beating #2 and #3, he pointed out the recipe for success...which by the way deviated from the norm and MVB is now a NQ!!!

Last edited:
You are cherry picking elite level talent and comparing them to Colucci? If you are going back 20 and 30 years ago (minus Snyder) to find your examples, that's a big stretch. Take any good wrestler and pair them up with excellent/elite wrestlers PLUS be undersized by 20 to 50 (?) pounds and that is a recipe for futility. You questioned his drive and I think you are flat out wrong. Colucci is a guy who goes out on the mat every night as an undersized heavy against the best wrestlers in the country. He rehabbed from a serious knee injury last year to return this year. You think he is wondering "what's on TV" when he couldnt even put weight on his surgically repaired knee for multiple weeks? He is doing this while getting a masters degree and has even higher educational aspirations. And you question his drive? Aggressiveness and talent on the mat is one thing, but he doesnt lack drive.
I think you and I are seeing two different wrestlers. While I think Colucci is a great kid, and I've heard nothing but good things about him, I don't see what you see. Yes,he makes attempts to score , but he doesn't have that next level aggressiveness. And for reasons like that, is why we receive harsh criticism for our program. You can't cherry pick who you think is comparable to Colucci, to make a rebuttal. You have to include all wrestlers. Okay let's use a mid-level wrestler, Gary the gas tank. While not as technical as Colucci,his aggressiveness gets him those 1 to 1 matches. Yes he may be a back up, but we're talking about Ohio State here. He would be a starter at any 10 between 25 ranked team. My point is,is that the culture of aggressiveness is consistent with these top 5 programs. It's up and down through the lineup. We sit here on these forms and boast and argue about whether we are a top 10 or a lousy team. Being extremely familiar as a formerwrestler for RU, I would say we're complacent with the new found success.

Last edited:
Are you Mike Van Brills father? I'm not trying to call you out here, it's just that you are quick to defend him ( and even defensive at times). I don't care either which way. If you are his father, your son was an animal yesterday. You should be rightfully proud. The kid caught a lot of crap over the years.

Does anyone have a rundown on RU wrestlers that are still wrestling today? Thanks.

Yes, way too long of a day for the wrestlers(the afternoon break was to long). No reason for anyone to be wrestling after 11 at night. Then they have to work out to get some weight off, wake up early and work out again to make weight!

They do the 9th place bracket for all weights that have 8 bids because one of the at large criteria is to finish "one place away from an at large at your conference tournament"

Nothing worse than having a long ass layoff into the night. I remember (now granted this is like 35 years ago when I was in youth wrestling) my first experience wrestling late. I won the NJ state freestyle qualifier and headed out to PA for a northeast regional. Wrestled matches past 9:30pm after a long layoff between matches. I think I went 1-2 but never felt more drained from wrestling than I did that weekend. I hated the experience. A few years later I wrestled back to take 3rd at the youth state tournament wrestling like 6 matches pretty close but felt great the entire time. Now I’m not trying to compare youth to collegiate, but I honestly feel wrestlers would prefer more matches closer in time where you can maintain a level of energy than these long ass days with long breaks. I mean these guys kicked off at 10 a.m.!!!! Christ even the tv cameras packed up for the night.

I think you and I are seeing two different wrestlers. While I think Colucci is a great kid, and I've heard nothing but good things about him, I don't see what you see. Yes,he makes attempts to score , but he doesn't have that next level aggressiveness. And for reasons like that, is why we receive harsh criticism for our program. You can't cherry pick who you think is comparable to Colucci, to make a rebuttal. You have to include all wrestlers. Okay let's use a mid-level wrestler, Gary the gas tank. While not as technical as Colucci,his aggressiveness gets him those 1 to 1 matches. Yes he may be a back up, but we're talking about Ohio State here. He would be a starter at any 10 between 25 ranked team. My point is,is that the culture of aggressiveness is consistent with these top 5 programs. It's up and down through the lineup. We sit here on these forms and boast and argue about whether we are a top 10 or a lousy team. Being extremely familiar as a formerwrestler for RU, I would say we're complacent with the new found success.

We are not seeing two different wrestlers. I never said he was next level. I questioned you as you said he doesnt have the drive, which I think I pretty clearly laid out his drive. If he didnt have drive, he wouldn't have rehabbed, attend graduate school, and train/compete on B1G mats. If you are undersized AND the talent level is above you, it's clearly an uphill battle. To say he lacks drive is silly. C'mon, didnt you say you were a 2x All American wrestler who is now back in school as a 50 year old sophmore, taking an upper level engineering course, which was granted as an elective? With your pre-calc background? If anyone could recognize drive, I think it would be you.

Last edited:
You're a putz, I found nothing wrong with VanBrill's wins only his strategy with the Omania match. If you read through the thread you would see that, instead you just looked for one post to pounce. Stopping making sh*t up and stretching the truth to attack posters. That's all you ever do here and you went out of your way this time to find fault. Do you somehow in a perverse way, get a sense of satisfaction that makes you feel like you're a better fan than others by doing this? Because it's all you do. @SCNJ put out a post questioning something and I answered, wasn't harping on the past which in reality was only a few hours ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: LETSGORU91
141: Rivera vs Filius
149: MVB vs Storr
184: POz vs Malczewski (MSU 3rd seed)
197: Janzer vs Penola for 7th

Matches left for RU (Hope i did not miss anyone)

Are you Mike Van Brills father? I'm not trying to call you out here, it's just that you are quick to defend him ( and even defensive at times). I don't care either which way. If you are his father, your son was an animal yesterday. You should be rightfully proud. The kid caught a lot of crap over the years.
Ok..since you wanna come out of your 10 year classroom ..I m not any of the kids father ..I called out the moron who said Metzler stinks too ...I see who calls names and criticizes incessantly ..and thats what he does ..you don’t have to be a parent to see some of the ripping of kids and coaches is unnecessary ...coaches knew about the MSU tendencies to throw and addressed it ...just because you know about it doesn’t mean you can always defend it ..I love how you guys insist I’m someone else when I call guys out for unnecessary criticism ...to say Metzler stinks ...did the guy who said it wrestle at the highest level there is which is right here in front of us ..I sincerely doubt it ...probably some fat slug who wouldn’t have a clue how to handle the guys these kids are wrestling yet criticize like they do ...MVB was called a disappointment in the first inning of a game ...then guys piled on saying he shoulda known and coaches shoulda known ....they knew !!....end of story....it’s a nine inning game so to speak ...MVB just proving a lot of the naysayers wrong and I applaud him for it ...Metzler hung in the room all year ...no guarantees he would even get a match ...then steps in and did his best to help the team ...I applaud him for that too ...to be said he stinks was a disgrace and I’ll say it to the guy who said it right to his face ...and no I’m not Metzler dad either lol

FYI ..we know who you are ...a pathological liar named Creedo ....

FYI ..we know who you are ...a pathological liar named Creedo ....
And you know what you are? You're a pathetic jock sniffer, that likes to stir controversy, who wouldn't have the slightest set of cojones to have even stepped on the wrestling mat. If you actually have, you obviously have some hang-ups about your lousy career. Also,you have some weird obsessions with the van brill's that is very concerning. Almost to the point of creepiness I think we can kind of guess that I'm not a high school what college student. And yes, I've had a very storied career.

koleszar said:
It still was. He beat #2 Murin by shooting and getting a takedown not going upper body. He beat #3 Parriott by completing a reversal from standing not going upper body. One can still be true. It was a horrible strategy against Omania all he does is upper body and nothing else. He had a few days to get familiar with what he does best.

I've read the post three times and still can't find anything critical that koleszar said about beating #2 and #3.

I think MVB has made the most dramatic improvement from the previous year(s). It's too bad he had a lapse in that first match. I sincerely hope he carries this performance through to NCAA and possibly an AA. I'm very curious about his turnaround in performance and I've asked a few times: where did he train during the first semester? If it was in the room with the team, it's a credit to the program; if elsewhere, something can be learned.

And you know what you are? You're a pathetic jock sniffer, that likes to stir controversy, who wouldn't have the slightest set of cojones to have even stepped on the wrestling mat. If you actually have, you obviously have some hang-ups about your lousy career. Also,you have some weird obsessions with the van brill's that is very concerning. Almost to the point of creepiness I think we can kind of guess that I'm not a high school what college student. And yes, I've had a very storied career.
You’re a nobody .....a pathological liar ....banned so many times for your hateful posts that im surprised your still here ...if you wanna call defending kids from hateful criticisms from jerks like you an obsession. ...I accept that proudly ..

koleszar said:

I've read the post three times and still can't find anything critical that koleszar said about beating #2 and #3.

I think MVB has made the most dramatic improvement from the previous year(s). It's too bad he had a lapse in that first match. I sincerely hope he carries this performance through to NCAA and possibly an AA. I'm very curious about his turnaround in performance and I've asked a few times: where did he train during the first semester? If it was in the room with the team, it's a credit to the program; if elsewhere, something can be learned.
I wasn’t referring to just that post ...

And of course...Turley on Mat 1.....dammit

I switched to multi camera..better than nothing

Mat 1 camera is back...showing mat 2

B10 is horrid

Shawver was completely gassed by end of 1st period. Can be expected with how little he wrestled this year I guess.

Reactions: Leonard23
I wasn’t referring to just that post ...
What then? The one where someone asked how the tournament was going at the end of 1st SESSION? Shame on me for saying Van Brill had a disappointing showing up to that point. Shame on me for thinking Van Brill was better than the 9th seed and should have won. It's a match thread follow along it moves in time, it's not stagnant. I'm sure he felt the same way as he then came out in Session 2 and wrestled a lot better.

Perhaps we should just lower our expectations for all our wrestlers to taking 14th place and then go from there. That's what you want isn't it? If they take better than 14th place our expectations should have been met. Way to participate guys, I'm sure Harley1 will have a trophy for you. This thread was great till you showed up and made it about something other than wrestling.

The best bet i see is the Multi Mat Camera.....kind of hard to watch on a 14" screen but better than nada

ADVERTISEMENT