ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Brandin Knight signs contract extension with Rutgers Basketball

You are forgetting Corey couldn't shoot, only went to his right, and rarely ever passed while penetrating. Our offensive efficiency shot up the minute he left.
This is a weird turn for this thread to take but Corey would absolutely be starting on next year’s team and would play a valuable role.

In any event, good for Knight. Hard to argue with on-court results. Hope we get some good recruiting news soon.

It is really hard to overstate how significant this is on a couple of levels. Putting aside the apparent head to head win over the Hall, it is further evidence that this is no longer the Rutgers of old. The coach and AD wanted to get something done and they found the money for it. That is hugely important when you're playing with the big boys! Very cool.

this. He's now the 3rd highest paid assistant in big ten HISTORY and top 10 nationally. This staff better start earning their keep.
I would have to think with Pikiell and Knight getting contract extensions and raises Hobbs also will be included.Where is the money coming from when the RAC is only a 8000 seat arena and the athletic department still has to repay loans which might take another 5-10 years?

Good for him. Pikiell definitely leans on him quite a bit.

What is a shark recruiter? We are now in a NIL world. What is a "shark recruiter" going to do?

Land 2023 version of Corey Sanders? No thanks!
This 1000x over. Came over here (in peace) to see the view since we only have an idiotic RU poster cheerleading over on Piratecrew.

You’d be better off with a $300k assistant to line up 3 high level players making $100k each in NIL. And no, the school cannot make the payment but donations that help fund a ridiculous salary can be redirected into players pockets, LEGALLY!

I would have to think with Pikiell and Knight getting contract extensions and raises Hobbs also will be included.Where is the money coming from when the RAC is only a 8000 seat arena and the athletic department still has to repay loans which might take another 5-10 years?
it helps having full houses instead of half filled arenas to keep the program financially sound and give rasise to deserving coaches while making the money to pay off loans.
Also the better the program is, the more likley boosters will increase their donations and possibly new funds will be obtained from the new boosters that come in adter a program starts winning and the venue they play in is full of excitement when the team is on the floor.

This 1000x over. Came over here (in peace) to see the view since we only have an idiotic RU poster cheerleading over on Piratecrew.

You’d be better off with a $300k assistant to line up 3 high level players making $100k each in NIL. And no, the school cannot make the payment but donations that help fund a ridiculous salary can be redirected into players pockets, LEGALLY!
but sometimes you get what you pay for if too cheap to pay for quality.
A $300,000 assistant that secures ( legally) deals like that will be making a heck of a lot more or leave for better paying pastures.
Rutgers played it on the cheap before when supporting the MBB program and paid the price, so even though you come in peace, you come with misinformation on how to build a good program in my opinion.
As for the RU Cheerleader on your site, that cheerleader probably comes in peace there as you do here.

So what made RU ante up? I don’t think it was the SP opportunity. Did he indicate to Hobbs a desire to assist Holloway and was going to get a salary bump to do so? I find it hard to believe he is one of the three highest paid assistants in the conference and top 10 nationally. If true then I am not sure his performance merited that. Hard to figure how much emphasis to place on recruiting when evaluating an assistants going forward given NIL. If NIL is the new difference makethen we must be paying for door openings and talent development. Regardless we need a significant talent infusion for next year. Let s see how it goes.

A $300,000 assistant that secures ( legally) deals like that will be making a heck of a lot more or leave for better paying pastures.
Rutgers played it on the cheap before when supporting the MBB program and paid the price, so even though you come in peace, you come with misinformation on how to build a good program in my opinion.
As for the RU Cheerleader on your site, that cheerleader probably comes in peace there as you do here.
Fair enough…

lol, and no, he doesn’t come in peace - history be told. As far as me, I’m in a mixed marriage (wife RU) and hold FB season tickets. Always SHU first though!

Reactions: MADHAT1
team getting better every year seems like earning their keep.
Jordan , Hill Jr, and Rice's programs remind us how Pike and staff are earning their keep and the raises that help keep the staff intact
Have we though? All the metrics show we've gotten worse every year from year 4 to 6.

Kenpom Year 4: 28
Kenpom Year 5: 38
Kenpom Year 6: 77
Kenpom Year 7: TBD but it aint lookin good right now

100% agreed. Give me a $300K assistant and $300K in NIL annually haha

Both can be done

Reactions: Scarlet83
SHU built an entire program and won 2 big east championships the past like 5 years or so through hiring a shark and paying recruits. Tiny Morton and Isaiah Whitehead and crew

So what made RU ante up? I don’t think it was the SP opportunity. Did he indicate to Hobbs a desire to assist Holloway and was going to get a salary bump to do so? I find it hard to believe he is one of the three highest paid assistants in the conference and top 10 nationally. If true then I am not sure his performance merited that. Hard to figure how much emphasis to place on recruiting when evaluating an assistants going forward given NIL. If NIL is the new difference makethen we must be paying for door openings and talent development. Regardless we need a significant talent infusion for next year. Let s see how it goes.
2nd highest in big ten currently, 3rd highest in history of the conference

I’m prob in the minority but I don’t think he’s worth $650k. For that money you can prob land a great coach AND a shark recruiter. Or you could land a megaladon recruiter.
Or you can definitely funnel some money for recruits with that kind of coin

Nothing like taking a team that hasn’t been to the tournament since 1991 and was part of a coaching staffing that brought us to 3 straight appearances.

Yeah def didn’t earn his keep — don’t sleep on this team next year either. PM and CO are going to dominate the B1G. The supporting cast will be with transfers

Reactions: TRU2RU
Nothing like taking a team that hasn’t been to the tournament since 1991 and was part of a coaching staffing that brought us to 3 straight appearances.

Yeah def didn’t earn his keep — don’t sleep on this team next year either. PM and CO are going to dominate the B1G. The supporting cast will be with transfers
I agree with your first paragraph and some of your second . I think CO can dominate.

the bar cannot remain 30 years of shit. The program is not nearly the same financially or AD wise. IDK why we have to keep rehashing this. By the time year 4 rolled around pike had a top 10 facility, and top 25 financial backing. We are headed into year 7 and we literally have nothing holding us back. Not money, not facility, not resources, not fan support (credit pike for making us competent getting sell outs but lets not pretend other coaches couldn't have as well). The bar must now become getting out of that first weekend.

With the money this staff is paid, with the resources they have at their disposal, they are not being paid to be a bubble team at best.

after Pike got his extension, this was expected--foget the SHU or St Petes BS

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT