ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Brandin Knight signs contract extension with Rutgers Basketball

If all that is true, please tell me how Rutgers basketball finished in 4th place after a 20 game league schedule?
They finished tied for fourth place because they won 12 Big Ten games, the same number as Iowa and Ohio State. That is how Rutgers basketball finished tied for 4th place after a 20 game league schedule.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
They finished tied for fourth place because they won 12 Big Ten games, the same number as Iowa and Ohio State. That is how Rutgers basketball finished tied for 4th place after a 20 game league schedule.
How does a team finish 4th place without talented players and not running an offense?

That would be seemingly impossible

So despite the fact that players won't come here and we have a talent disadvantage every game and don't run an offense, we still finished 4th? That can't possibly be true considering all of the bad things you said were going on with Rutgers basketball.

So despite the fact that players won't come here and we have a talent disadvantage every game and don't run an offense, we still finished 4th? That can't possibly be true considering all of the bad things you said were going on with Rutgers basketball.
That is exactly what happened. You're very astute.

How does a team finish 4th place without talented players and not running an offense?

good coaching improves the overall talent of the team and good players usually play up to their talent while the coaches bring in better and better players every year.
Sometimes the record reflects the depth of the team and bad games by the more talent on roster becomes hard to overcome until the whole roster is filled with proven talent that bench [players don't hurt the team when giving starters a rest.
Rutgers is starting to build a roster full of good players, but one must real;ize they are not there yet because of the years of futility that needs to be overcome when talented HS players think about the RU MBB program.
NCAA appearances will overcome that type of thinking when RU tries to bring in talent.
What RU has done by coming in 4th is show college basketball fans and HS players alike, the RU MBB program is a program on the rise.

Here is the point Kyk is making: Rutgers runs the same offense (or lack thereof) as teams that have elite talent. The difference is, those programs land elite prospects so they can get away with it. Rutgers obviously does not land elite prospects. You make up for that talent deficiency by being Purdue/Iowa and running really good offensive sets or playing at a crazy fast pace. Rutgers does not make up for it in either way, they just run the same basic offensive actions as the elite teams with NBA talent. The results speak for themselves.

Kyk has argued relentlessly in the past that top players won’t come or stay here because Pikiell doesn’t run an offense.

So that completely contradicts all of what he’s saying now and you just summarized above.

Reactions: TRU2RU and Scangg
Kyk has argued relentlessly in the past that top players won’t come or stay here because Pikiell doesn’t run an offense.

So that completely contradicts all of what he’s saying now and you just summarized above.
if you want to point to teams that load up on 5*'s as evidence that kids don't care about an offensive system then by all means. If we had a roster full of 5*'s no one would care that we didn't run a legitimate offense. You're stretching so bad here and reaching for anomalies, so therefore you try to compare us to Duke and UNC while damn well knowing it's foolish to do so.

Let me play your game though. Facility isn't an issue, resources arent an issue, conference isn't an issue, winning isn't an issue coming into this season we likely made 2 straight ncaa tourneys and now 3. So why aren't kids coming here? Why in our 2022 recruiting class do our commits have a combined 1 total power conference offer (besides RU) between them?

Short answer is cliff Omoruyi.

A very successful adjustment which I assume was the result of realizing he is our best player or 2nd best (subjective defining of best) and DRASTICALLY increasing the amount of high ball screen PnR we ran.

It gave our previously pretty bad half court a life raft that few teams in the country had.

if you want to point to teams that load up on 5*'s as evidence that kids don't care about an offensive system then by all means. If we had a roster full of 5*'s no one would care that we didn't run a legitimate offense. You're stretching so bad here and reaching for anomalies, so therefore you try to compare us to Duke and UNC while damn well knowing it's foolish to do so.

Let me play your game though. Facility isn't an issue, resources arent an issue, conference isn't an issue, winning isn't an issue coming into this season we likely made 2 straight ncaa tourneys and now 3. So why aren't kids coming here? Why in our 2022 recruiting class do our commits have a combined 1 total power conference offer (besides RU) between them?

Bro the only thing I have done in this thread (and many others) is called out how you’re takes are now changing. Literally that’s all I’ve done and you’ve somehow started talking about defense with me and now assuming other thoughts that I haven’t made or trying to have other random discussions.

I said if you want to talk about recruiting we can do that, but that’s a separate conversation than talking about how we don’t “run an offense” - which is what I was focusing on. I realize and acknowledge our recruiting needs to get better.

The only thing I’ve done in this thread has called you out for changing your take and making points that conflict with each other. For 2 years you’ve told us Pikiell doesn’t run an offense and said that’s why we can’t draw in top recruits or why kids like JY wanted to transfer. Now you’re actually agreeing that we run an offense very similar to many top teams in the country, but saying we shouldn’t be doing that bc we don’t have a team of 5 stars.

So clearly “not running an offense” in your eyes can’t be the reason top kids don’t want to play here haha. I can name a bunch of other reasons we don’t get 5 stars and none of them have to do with our offense. You can basically start and end with the fact that we don’t give kids bags of $.

For 2 years you acted like Pikiell was one of the few coaches in the country who “didn’t run an offense” haha.

Last edited:
Short answer is cliff Omoruyi.

A very successful adjustment which I assume was the result of realizing he is our best player or 2nd best (subjective defining of best) and DRASTICALLY increasing the amount of high ball screen PnR we ran.

It gave our previously pretty bad half court a life raft that few teams in the country had.
So a very talented player plus offensive adjustment. Two things Pike supposedly can't do

Reactions: S_Janowski
To the couple of analytic geeks who post here…is there a way to measure the idiot quotient of kyk and his lap dogs?

Reactions: TRU2RU
not sure where ive been proven wrong or even changed course. I've said for 2 years straight all we run as an "offense" is HBS, motion and occasionally horns. You guys are clueless lol. I really can't come here much longer lol, you guys are so bad

I think an overwhelming majority would welcome you never coming here again.

I think an overwhelming majority would welcome you never coming here again.
wouldn't care one way or another , sometimes good for a laugh reading the BS presented , but most of times the ridiculous obsession of trying to prove the HC isn't a good one and failing in that quest ( miserably I might add) and the refusal to admit being wrong is both aggravating and troll like.
I Consider it like the neighborhoods barking dog, noise most of the time, but on a few occasions does bark at right time and is useful for a change
Shame of that is :the dumb dog claims to be great because of the occasional burglar scared away and forgets the far more frequent times the barking did nothing but bother the neighborhood because dumb dog was barking at the wind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT