ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Brandin Knight signs contract extension with Rutgers Basketball

You guys don't get it. Recruits wanna score. Scoring gets players to the NBA. Offense gets players to the NBA. The NBA gets players paid. As unrealistic as it is, all these high school recruits think they can play in the NBA. We have a coach who is admittedly defensive minded. That is an absolute cancer to your recruiting efforts in 2022. We have a staff that barely runs anything that resembles an offense. There's a reason we don't really do well with local recruits outside of guys who don't have top tier offers (Cliff didn't actually have a Kentucky committable offer, he was too raw for them. We did beat out ASU though). The local coaches, high school and AAU coaches can't figure out what we're trying to do on offense. It's a problem. Staff needs a shakeup and we need to bring in someone to install a modern offense.
Counter point. Pike let's players play. Won't yank you for taking a bad shot. JY did his thing. Geo was able to take all the step back fadeaways he wanted. You can chuck a 3 as long as you play D

In terms of Knight's salary, the whole "history of the conference" line is a joke. Of course coaches get paid more now with the massive influx in money the B1G schools get combined with inflation.

When other assistants are up for extensions they will be in the ball park or make more than Knight

This is factually inaccurate. We were 44th seed and ND was 47th so not even possible.

Seton Hall didn't win 2 titles in the last 5 years either.

Not sure if Knight's salary ranking is accurate at this point since you seem to be loose with the facts in this thread
So last 4 in. Thought we were last two, if I'm wrong, all good.

Past 6 years, the horror. They won the conference tourney in 2016 and regular season in 2020.

That is the salary ranking I've been told by someone who knows alot better than either you or more.

Counter point. Pike let's players play. Won't yank you for taking a bad shot. JY did his thing. Geo was able to take all the step back fadeaways he wanted. You can chuck a 3 as long as you play D
won't yank you for a bad shot? Have we watched the same games? He yanks players any time they play with any kind of edge. He yanks players weirdly when they start getting hot. haha I get you love him but you don't need to carry his water

Reactions: RutgersNo1
won't yank you for a bad shot? Have we watched the same games? He yanks players any time they play with any kind of edge. He yanks players weirdly when they start getting hot. haha I get you love him but you don't need to carry his water
He yanks players for defensive lapses. He is also extremelyyy forgiving with his stars on both ends with a longggg leash. Not sure what you're watching

You guys don't get it. Recruits wanna score. Scoring gets players to the NBA. Offense gets players to the NBA. The NBA gets players paid. As unrealistic as it is, all these high school recruits think they can play in the NBA. We have a coach who is admittedly defensive minded. That is an absolute cancer to your recruiting efforts in 2022. We have a staff that barely runs anything that resembles an offense. There's a reason we don't really do well with local recruits outside of guys who don't have top tier offers (Cliff didn't actually have a Kentucky committable offer, he was too raw for them. We did beat out ASU though). The local coaches, high school and AAU coaches can't figure out what we're trying to do on offense. It's a problem. Staff needs a shakeup and we need to bring in someone to install a modern offense.
You are just so stupid. Despite almost every team you watch especially the top teams that you just saw in the tourney , Duke , UNC , Villanova , Arkansas , UCLA Kentucky , Auburn , Baylor , Texas Tech , all those teams that ranked high on offense , which you claim stupid high school kids know what they want , run the same ball screen offense. We run a double horn set like a number of teams. We screen to get our bigs or our guards in post ups. Villanova runs 5 out but they revert to ball screen to Gillispie or Moore when they need a bucket. Top teams don’t run 5-8 different sets and no stud is running to Wisconsin to play there. If your guards play well , can use a ball screen with your big , and can hit mid range or long difference you are set and halfway home. Your continual stupidity is just so mind numbing as you think Calipari and K and Wright , actually run shit differently than us . Give it a break.

Hey if BK leveraged an offer from SHU and Pike went to bat for him with Hobbs to retain him then my question about why RU ante upped has been answered. Still not sure if his work to date supports being a top 10 paid assistant nationally. If he was truly that highly thought of in the coaching community then I would have thought his name would have come up more regularly for lower level HC jobs. Despite this year's tourney SPU is near the bottom when it comes to such opportunities. Having said that, when guys like Rick Pitino and Fran Dunphy are taking jobs like Iona/LaSalle at their respective ages, maybe the opportunities aren't as plentiful as you might think for an assistant with no HC experience.

If you think we missed on our evaluation of several kids over the past few years, then IMO BK gets some of the blame for that. He certainly should also get credit for helping building the program to where it is right now. We are at a bit of a crossroads right now and this is a critical offseason to keep the momentum going.

Again we are in a very dynamic period and the entire process of procuring the talented recruits is changing. NIL is the wildcard that can create an uneven playing field that even the best recruiters at this level will struggle to overcome if you don't a competitive collective framework. How that position is evaluated and compensated may change as we move forward.

If Rutgers doesn't run an offense what do you call UNC? It was just high ball screen over and over and over and over or just straight up guards going one on one
The difference is that the blue blood teams have players that can create and make shots off the dribble better than programs at Rutgers level.Its points on the score board that matter rather than the offensive system that teams run.

As a refresher for those who don't pay attention to recruiting beyond RU.....SHU and Holloway with NCAA violations and sanctions.....and no one who seemingly covers SHU and RU, found time to ask about this in 2019.....wonder why???

Reactions: Knight Shift
NCAA sanctions Seton Hall, former coach Shaheen Holloway, for tampering with Taurean Thompson

Syracuse, N.Y. -- The NCAA today released its findings on the Taurean Thompson tampering case, the most compelling evidence the phone records of then-Seton Hall associate coach Shaheen Holloway, which revealed 241 impermissible phone conversations with Thompson’s mother, Sherese Piper.

Those conversations happened when Thompson was enrolled at SU (154 calls) and continued when Syracuse University denied his request to contact Seton Hall after he indicated he wanted to transfer (87 more calls).

Holloway will serve an agreed-upon four-game suspension at his new school, St. Peter’s, where he is now the head men’s basketball coach. He has also been issued a 20-month show-cause order, which among other things prohibits him from all recruiting communication for six weeks during the 2019-20 academic year.

The NCAA placed Seton Hall on three years probation and imposed recruiting and scholarship reductions on the program. It fined the school $5,000 plus 1 percent of its men’s basketball budget. Head coach Kevin Willard has already served an agreed-upon two-game suspension.

The penalties were arranged through the NCAA’s new Negotiated Resolution Process, which “was used instead of a formal hearing or summary disposition because the university, the head coach, the former associate head coach and the enforcement staff agreed on the violations and the penalties.”

The NCAA’s report expands on previous syracuse.com news stories about the odd timing of Thompson’s transfer from Syracuse to Seton Hall in the summer of 2017. What the NCAA learned during its investigation:

Thompson, then a freshman forward at SU, had chosen the Orange over Seton Hall while he was a student at Brewster Academy. While he was at SU, his mother and Holloway engaged in 154 impermissible phone conversations. When Thompson indicated he wanted to transfer in July 2017, SU denied his request to contact Seton Hall. After that denial, Piper and Holloway had 87 more phone conversations. The NCAA prohibits coaches from speaking to players or any family members while the athlete is still enrolled at his/her initial school.

Holloway and Piper told NCAA investigators that they had developed a “close personal relationship” when Holloway was recruiting Thompson and that those conversations were rekindled during the first semester of Thompson’s Syracuse career. Holloway said he did not report the conversations with the mother of a former prospect to his compliance staff because he believed they did not involve “the active recruitment” of Thompson.

“The associate head coach said they discussed many topics, ranging from the prospect’s mother’s health issues, daily prayer, coaching strategies and the performance of the Seton Hall men’s basketball team," the NCAA report said.

Willard knew of some of those conversations, the NCAA found, and did nothing to stop them.

A couple other interesting tidbits surfaced in the NCAA’s report: In August 2017, Syracuse officials contacted Seton Hall to allege there had been impermissible contact between the school and Sherese Piper. Seton Hall investigated. Willard and Holloway said they did not have recruiting conversations with Thompson’s mother and the school concluded no wrongdoing had happened.

Then, in November 2017, an unnamed person contacted the NCAA to say the Seton Hall staff had tampered with Thompson. That started an NCAA investigation in which the NCAA asked for telephone records. Those records revealed numerous phone conversations between Holloway and Piper.

An initial resolution in the Seton Hall case came about last February.

The NCAA “determined that the phone calls, regardless of the nature of the calls and regardless of the associate head coach’s personal relationship with the prospect’s mother, were a violation of Bylaw 13.1.1.3. The institution appealed the decision to the NCAA Division I Interpretations Committee where (the NCAA’s) decision was upheld. Seton Hall then appealed that decision to the NCAA Division Legislative Committee, which affirmed the decision.”

Thompson, a 6-foot-10 forward from Harlem, has not played for Seton Hall yet this season. His coaches have said he is not injured.

I don't recall the last B1G program that has been hit with Basketball recruiting violations, but unlike some blue blood schools or places in the SEC, there is an actual standard. A coach could be in default of their contract, if they are found to purposely violate basic recruiting or ethical items.

Please don't pay any attention to kyk on the running of an offense nonsense. If you poll any reasonable recruiting target on what they would want to do on offense, you will hear more often than not "freedom to improvise and play my game".

You can strike a balance between looking robotic and restrictive like Iowa, Purdue or Wisconsin and lack creativity vs allowing the talents of the players to dictate the offense, which is where 85 to 90% of major college basketball is played at this level.

Please don't pay any attention to kyk on the running of an offense nonsense. If you poll any reasonable recruiting target on what they would want to do on offense, you will hear more often than not "freedom to improvise and play my game".

You can strike a balance between looking robotic and restrictive like Iowa, Purdue or Wisconsin and lack creativity vs allowing the talents of the players to dictate the offense, which is where 85 to 90% of major college basketball is played at this level.
You had me at "Please don't pay any attention to kyk."

Considering Purdue and Iowa had the second and fourth best offenses in the country last season, maybe being "robotic" and "restrictive" is the correct approach. Too busy rehashing Holloway's recruiting violations (aka getting caught doing something a vast majority of college coaches do) to look that up?

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
If Rutgers doesn't run an offense what do you call UNC? It was just high ball screen over and over and over and over or just straight up guards going one on one
Sure and frankly you can do that when you have elite NBA level talent. That's literally all the NBA is. I'm not denying that one bit. We have a coach who doesnt attract elite nba level talent and prefers kids who need development apparently.

Considering Purdue and Iowa had the second and fourth best offenses in the country last season, maybe being "robotic" and "restrictive" is the correct approach. Too busy rehashing Holloway's recruiting violations (aka getting caught doing something a vast majority of college coaches do) to look that up?
LOL he's a weird dude. He thinks people give a fvck about tampering lol. He began the day yesterday trying to prep everyone for why it wouldn't be a big deal if knight left for SHU only to do a 180 once he stayed.

me tooo what is he saying now??? Still waiting for Grant B. To sign with St. Peter’s , since it was a done deal weeks ago, according to the resident know it all!!!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Sure and frankly you can do that when you have elite NBA level talent. That's literally all the NBA is. I'm not denying that one bit. We have a coach who doesnt attract elite nba level talent and prefers kids who need development apparently.
You're saying we can't attract elite talent bc we don't run an offense. UNC etc are proof that isn't the case is the point

When you have 2 NBA lottery picks, I would hope you have good offense.....when you have a 7'4 Center, I would like to think you have a good offense.

You provided 2 outliers in 100 Power 5/6 programs AND Purdue had such a good offense, that it couldn't escape St Peters???

You're saying we can't attract elite talent bc we don't run an offense. UNC etc are proof that isn't the case is the point
If we had a roster full of 5*'s running an offense would be irrelevant. Do we have a roster full of NBA talent? Because when you have an offense full of NBA talent you can literally just run a hbs offense. We don't have anything remotely close to that.

When you have 2 NBA lottery picks, I would hope you have good offense.....when you have a 7'4 Center, I would like to think you have a good offense.

You provided 2 outliers in 100 Power 5/6 programs AND Purdue had such a good offense, that it couldn't escape St Peters???
I mean you do realize that in the past 20 years or so that only two teams have won a natty without a top 20 offense, right? The lone outlier was Uconn 2014. So yeah, lets just ignore it

Maybe you should stick with only following football if you are cherry-picking Kenpom as your deciding metric regarding this program and where it is today vs. where it was 6 years ago and every year since.
Read what I replied.

reading article couldn't help but notice this about Knight:
" He was the lead recruiter for Cliff Omoruyi, It was Knight who first pursued Ron Harper Jr. and sold Pikiell on the under recruiter prospect. Keeping New Jersey talent home has been so important and Knight was the lead for Paul Mulcahy as well as incoming freshman guard Derek Simpson. He also was the lead in landing former 4-star recruit Montez Mathis.

I mean you do realize that in the past 20 years or so that only two teams have won a natty without a top 20 offense, right? The lone outlier was Uconn 2014. So yeah, lets just ignore it

You're out in space man....is the bar now that RU has to be a national title ccontender.....?? How many Power 5/6 programs are going to have a Top 20 offense... there are almost 100 Power 5/6 basketball programs, there are EIGHTY programs who are not going to land with a Top 20 offense or land with that efficiency?? And even if you did, you also have to be a Top 20 defensive team as well.

You need elite or NBA caliber wings and guards in most cases to be a Top 20 offense and defense. RU is not there, but neither are 80% of the other Power 5 programs.

It's like saying why can't Schiano score 30+ points a game and have a 4 TD to INT ratio and average around 275 yards passing and 175 yards rushing, while having a run defense that keeps teams under 3 yards a carry.....these things don't fall out of the sky.....LMAO

Name me another one of the 80 other Power 5/6 programs that also should be a Top 20 offense and defense?? To get there, you are usually a blue blood or close to one.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
reading article couldn't help but notice this about Knight:
" He was the lead recruiter for Cliff Omoruyi, It was Knight who first pursued Ron Harper Jr. and sold Pikiell on the under recruiter prospect. Keeping New Jersey talent home has been so important and Knight was the lead for Paul Mulcahy as well as incoming freshman guard Derek Simpson. He also was the lead in landing former 4-star recruit Montez Mathis.

I don't know or understand how this Knight isn't a good recruiter narrative started....it is simply one of the wildest and most inaccurate things I have seen in a while.

Knight is a great recruiter and assistant coach if you measure things by ACTUAL production and not phantom or bad recruiting rankings of players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT