ADVERTISEMENT

C Vivian Stringer Court pic

What? Take an excellent established program and make it slightly better? LOL.

Sorry, TG did way more for the program than CViv. TG built it up from almost nothing. She also has the only NC banner at the RAC (even though the tourney was disputed).

Theresa Grentz1976–1995434–150156–28
C. Vivian Stringer1995–2022477–267243–136†
Seems like you're a few victories short
Rutgers:535–291 (277–152)
Total: 1055-426

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Not really. That’s usually reserved for transformative coaches with NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. But, is what is.
Not really, Gene Keady, Lou Henson and Bobby Cremens have courts named after them. That is off the top of my head, maybe there are more.

Pat Summit is the only women's coach on this list.
That thread missed NC State. The court is named after their former long time WBB coach Kay Yow. She never won a national title, afaik.

The arena has been named after Jimmy V while the venue/building still has its original name (Reynolds Coliseum).

Last edited:
Even with this name on the court, Rutgers is still behind Monmouth in terms of how many names are used for one building...

The Monmouth PA Announcer has to begin all games with "Good evening, and welcome to Paul Gaffney Court, in Dr. Marilyn A. McNeil Arena, at The OceanFirst Bank Center, on the campus of Monmouth University".

Reactions: Knightmoves
Good evening, and welcome to the Vivian Stringer Court, in Jersey Mike's Arena at the Louis Brown Athletic Center, commonly called the RAC on the Livingston campus of Rutgers the State University of New Jersey...or as I call it: 83 Rockafeller Road.

I’m calling it Walgreens court.

Womens basketball didn’t do anything for the university.

I honestly would have preferred Greg Schiano court

Reactions: MiloTalon13
When’s the last time a Hall of Fame coach had the gumption to give Rutgers the time of day or to consider Rutgers?

When they were one of the highest paid coaches in their profession. I believe Stringer was the highest paid when she signed on.

Reactions: RutgersNo1
When they were one of the highest paid coaches in their profession. I believe Stringer was the highest paid when she signed on.
If we could get a men’s basketball coach whose resume included getting to the Final Four four times, he’d get top dollar as well from Rutgers. Not happening. When Coach Pikiell gets us to four Final Fours, he’ll get top dollar.

If we could get a men’s basketball coach whose resume included getting to the Final Four four times, he’d get top dollar as well from Rutgers. Not happening. When Coach Pikiell gets us to four Final Fours, he’ll get top dollar.

She was paid that much before she got us to the final four. The day she was hired here she was the highest paid coach in the country.

She was paid that much before she got us to the final four. The day she was hired here she was the highest paid coach in the country.
This is a skinflint audience. We’ll all be pushing up daisies before Rutgers football and basketball hires a coach with Stringer’s resume. Give her credit for having the guts to take the job. The folks who’ve turned down Rutgers opportunities to coach men’s basketball and football are far from Hall of Fame caliber.

Last edited:
Hall of Fame football and men’s basketball coaches won’t come here for top dollar. Maybe on the way up the coaching ladder, but not once they are established at and near the top.
I don't even get your position. She came to what was ALREADY dominant program for TOP dollar and benefits. It was not a sacrifice to come here for the best compensation package in the nation; it did NOT take “guts” to come to one of the best programs in the country for the best compensation package in the country.

Your speculation seems to be that if one of the other programs were to become one of the best in the nation, and then RU offered to make a candidate the highest paid coach in the nation, they still would not come. You can’t draw this inference from our history of coaches turning us down for what were considered bad/risky jobs in other sports at bottom end compensation.

Last edited:
I don't even get your position. She came to what was ALREADY dominant program for TOP dollar and benefits. It was not a sacrifice to come here for the best compensation package in the nation; it did NOT take “guts” to come to one of the best programs in the country for the best compensation package in the country.

Your speculation seems to be that if one of the other programs were to become one of the best in the nation, and then RU offered to make a candidate the highest paid coach in the nation, they still would not come. You can’t draw this inference from our history of coaches turning us down for what were considered bad/risky jobs in other sports at bottom end compensation.
I’ll stick with my speculation.

^^^^^ Truth.

This is a skinflint audience. We’ll all be pushing up daisies before Rutgers football and basketball hires a coach with Stringer’s resume. Give her credit for having the guts to take the job. The folks who’ve turned down Rutgers opportunities to coach men’s basketball and football are far from Hall of Fame caliber.

Guts to take the job lol? That was the one program we had at the time that was nationally known. Grentz built a national power. Stringer was the single highest paid coach in the country when she took the job. Guts lol.

If we would offer any sport the opportunity to hire the highest paid coach in the country we could have almost anyone.

She never won a championship. You can say we didn't get what we paid for.

look at it this way.
During CVS' tenure at Rutgers the WBB Basketball program was one of the best for a long time.
Yes she was given a good salary, but the program's support otherwise was the same as the RU MBB program was
When Stringer came in she was paid $150,000
Bob Wenzel was paid $124,000

Stringer received more because of her success at Iowa and over the years kept RU WBB the best program of the basketball ones and better than RU Football until Schiano made that program respectable.
She earned every penny she was paid
Don't feel that way, look at the men's basketball program that program received the same type of support under Wenzel ,Bannon, Waters, HillJr and Rice , except for salary which was fairly close to what Stringer earned and deserved ..
The RU MBB program wasn't one to be proud of , yet it was WBB a lot of RU BB fans hated.
When Kevin Bannon was hired in 1997 reports thatr he would receive a package worth $400,000 annually, including a $150,000 salary.didn't faze a soul.
The RU MBB program under any those coaches didn't come close to bring the respect CVS brought to RU because of the way her team played.
Success earns a better payday and CVS was a successful HC for a long time.
As a HOFer she deserved what she received, with the exception of her LOA year.

Bitch all you want, the court has been named right.

There's is something about being a winner at RU that brings out the worst in its fans
After Schiano made Rutgers football a respected program his first go around, some RU fans felt he wasn't good enough and wanted him replaced just before he left for greener pastures.
When he was rumored a candidate to replace th loser Ash, some RU fans felt he would be a bad hire and when hired for on of the lowest Big 10 Coaching salaries for football HCs cries of too much money for him were heard.
When Steve
Over the years the same was said about Vivian,even during the glory years she brought to RU .

The ball is in your court C. Vivian Stringer and well deserved at that..
Let the haters whine 😁

Guts to take the job lol? That was the one program we had at the time that was nationally known. Grentz built a national power. Stringer was the single highest paid coach in the country when she took the job. Guts lol.

If we would offer any sport the opportunity to hire the highest paid coach in the country we could have almost anyone.

She never won a championship. You can say we didn't get what we paid for.
Let me know when Rutgers football and men’s basketball hires someone with CVS’s resume and national reputation.

Must be a slow sports and Current Events night if this nonsense is starting again. The thread was started, I think to see what the new addition to the RAC floor looks like, not all the other BS. You can tell who is gonna open their racist mouth before even reading the thread.

C’mon that illegal lineman downfield penalty against Louisville was total BS!!!

Must be a slow sports and Current Events night if this nonsense is starting again. The thread was started, I think to see what the new addition to the RAC floor looks like, not all the other BS. You can tell who is gonna open their racist mouth before even reading the thread.
Racist? Ridiculous.

She already went to two final fours when she was hired. Obviously she didn’t take RU to any final fours before she was hired.

Reactions: Mr_Twister
Why do the boards have to have such bipolar arguing. My recollection is that grentzs teams had become less successful the last couple of years. This doesn’t take away from her significant achievements here. Stringer, at the time, was considered an elite coach. The reasons she came are well chronicled and complicated. They include the death of her husband, and the care her daughter needed. We gave her a very good deal. She had a very successful career here. She struggled at the end to achieve her previous success and her exit could clearly have gone more smoothly. These things can all be true

Why do the boards have to have such bipolar arguing. My recollection is that grentzs teams had become less successful the last couple of years. This doesn’t take away from her significant achievements here. Stringer, at the time, was considered an elite coach. The reasons she came are well chronicled and complicated. They include the death of her husband, and the care her daughter needed. We gave her a very good deal. She had a very successful career here. She struggled at the end to achieve her previous success and her exit could clearly have gone more smoothly. These things can all be true
Actually every single person but me is either too woke or racist.

Hahahaha oh lord. Talk about a leap.

We’re obviously misogynists, not racists. Have to make sure you’ve got your talking points right.

I had to read your post about three times before I could believe my eyes. First, the OP DID NOT simply comment on what the floor looked like. The OP commented that women’s basketball was not “hip“ when Stringer got here and that she became the face of Rutgers sports; the post was not about aesthetics, the post was about Stringer herself and her significance to RU athletics — not just in women’s basketball, but as a whole.

It is also reasonable for the thread to be on this board because Coach Stringer‘s name is on the court for both men’s and women’s basketball.

More important, your comment about racism shows that you can’t reason any better than you can read. There is nothing in any of the comments that would cause anyone with half a brain to draw an inference of racism. It is a sick society where one can be called a racist for disagreeing on an issue like this simply because a person of color is involved. You seem to be a manifestation of that sickness. Calling anyone a racist is a serious charge, especially these days, and you should apologize to the board.

ADVERTISEMENT