ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb McConnell 2018 Combo Guard

Great point. I saw Strickland didn't recommit to Rutgers, lol.

He hasn't signed yet with Wisconsin. Wait until he wants to play FortNite and Happ is too busy to play. He knows Geo is good (and he was just at RAC for 3 hours) and sees him online and together they win the Battle Royale and then he flips to RU.

Reactions: higgins3 and MV9000
All things being equal you'd rather have the size. But talent matters too. Angel Rodriguez on Kansas State/Miami was under 6 feet. Kahlil Felder on Oakland was 5-9 and got drafted in the second round.

All things being equal you'd rather have the size. But talent matters too. Angel Rodriguez on Kansas State/Miami was under 6 feet. Kahlil Felder on Oakland was 5-9 and got drafted in the second round.

Of course. And, we are not talking about a roster with all PG's under 6 feet. We are talking about one guy. The next shortest guy could be 6 4".

I'd be with you with the need for speed, but 5 8 usually means short arms which kills your release, and ability to get off drives near the basket.

It has to be more than speed.

Also seems 5'8" would be a big liability on defense. Sure he could be a pain in the ass for opponents in certain situations, but on a night in-night out basis in the B1G, against long athletic competition, 5'8" could be a problem.

Also seems 5'8" would be a big liability on defense. Sure he could be a pain in the ass for opponents in certain situations, but on a night in-night out basis in the B1G, against long athletic competition, 5'8" could be a problem.
Sure, but as your back-up PG for 10-15 minutes a game, with Geo and Mathis starting, its not like he would be getting abused 30 minutes per. And short guys with that speed can really harrass taller guards bringing the ball up since they get so low when guarding. I think Pikiell is extremely partial to tall, long back courts, but this looks like it would be a huge upgrade to who we had as a back up last year.

j
Ok and your point? It was a wishful thinking prediction from a fan. AND, I'm sure they have not just rolled over...probably still letting him know that the PG spot is open for him to take.

The likilihood of being involved at this point with Strickland or Nowell is low. If they were involved, fans would know.

Nowell is not settling for a 10-15 minute role. Nor would I want him to. I really think the staff should find a juco/grad transfer pg for this upcoming year. If they don't and they go the four year route, 2018/2019 is going to be a year reserved for the 14 spot again.

Marquis Nowell has a “Rutgers offer” but it came in mid-February of 2016, which means it was under Eddie.

j

The likilihood of being involved at this point with Strickland or Nowell is low. If they were involved, fans would know.

Nowell is not settling for a 10-15 minute role. Nor would I want him to. I really think the staff should find a juco/grad transfer pg for this upcoming year. If they don't and they go the four year route, 2018/2019 is going to be a year reserved for the 14 spot again.

Everyone wants us to compete for great recruits, and then for some reason thinks no one will come here unless they're getting starters minutes as a freshman. It's a really weird combination of high expectations and insecurity. Like everyone thinking Tai Strickland, an under recruited late bloomer of a 3* PG, might not come if he had to sit behind Corey for a season. He didn't come anyway, but that wasn't the reason.

If guys think they're coming to a good program with other talented guys, they know they might have to sit and/or compete for time. If that weren't true, then all of these other teams we're chasing wouldn't have more than 5 highly recruited players at any given time. Spoiler alert... they do!

Reactions: KevH
Everyone wants us to compete for great recruits, and then for some reason thinks no one will come here unless they're getting starters minutes as a freshman. It's a really weird combination of high expectations and insecurity. Like everyone thinking Tai Strickland, an under recruited late bloomer of a 3* PG, might not come if he had to sit behind Corey for a season. He didn't come anyway, but that wasn't the reason.

If guys think they're coming to a good program with other talented guys, they know they might have to sit and/or compete for time. If that weren't true, then all of these other teams we're chasing wouldn't have more than 5 highly recruited players at any given time. Spoiler alert... they do!

The mind of a great recruit is that they want things. These players are catered to all the time through AAU and college recruiting. That is your opinion, and it will help round out mine.

How do we know Strickland didn't come here because Sanders was still here and it wasn't a guarentee?

The mind of a great recruit is that they want things. These players are catered to all the time through AAU and college recruiting. That is your opinion, and it will help round out mine.

How do we know Strickland didn't come here because Sanders was still here and it wasn't a guarentee?
Because his original plan was to commit on 4/11/18, and if he had stuck with that plan he could easily have waited out the decision. I'm sure Pikiell was in contact with both Corey and Tai and certainly would have relayed Corey's decision timeline if it were playing into the decision making process. Tai clearly is going to have to compete for minutes in Wisconsin's back court as well.

Because his original plan was to commit on 4/11/18, and if he had stuck with that plan he could easily have waited out the decision. I'm sure Pikiell was in contact with both Corey and Tai and certainly would have relayed Corey's decision timeline if it were playing into the decision making process. Tai clearly is going to have to compete for minutes in Wisconsin's back court as well.

He liked Wisconsin more I guess. Thanks for the great insight. Now I feel like I understand the process more.

He liked Wisconsin more I guess. Thanks for the great insight. Now I feel like I understand the process more.
Lol... I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. That's just my read of the situation. As to Nowell, I'd like to think the kid is confident enough that he thinks even if we were only intending to use him as a backup initially, that he'd prove everyone wrong down the line and be the starter... Geo kind of showed that you don't want freshman racking up 30+ minutes a game, anyway...

Lol... I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. That's just my read of the situation. As to Nowell, I'd like to think the kid is confident enough that he thinks even if we were only intending to use him as a backup initially, that he'd prove everyone wrong down the line and be the starter... Geo kind of showed that you don't want freshman racking up 30+ minutes a game, anyway...
Being honest. I am always open to have my view point changed. That could be true. I just see he hasn’t been contacted recently with this staff. Trying to find who we are realistically after.

Reactions: dkostus
I have no objection to adding Marquis Nowell. FHJ missed on Desmond Wade and Eddie missed on Otis Livingston. Wade broke assist records at Houston in his 2 years there before transferring to Fairfield. Otis is by far the best player on George Mason and made the Atlantic 10 All League team. He probably will finish close to 1800 points at Mason. As for Nowell he is very quick and a decent shooter but he is not as good as Myles Mack. Myles was selected in the first 4 teams in The USA Today as being in the TOP 20 of the nation. That was probably too high but he was on many sites in about the top 80 or so. He shot 3's at a 40% rate or better for much of his career. If Nowell would accept a backup role I would offer him. He had a very good career in NYC I think at Bishop Loughlin before he transferred to The Patrick School. He only played 13 games as he got injured and missed half the season. He did average 10.9 ppg for the 13 he played getting 142 points.

Sure, but as your back-up PG for 10-15 minutes a game, with Geo and Mathis starting, its not like he would be getting abused 30 minutes per. And short guys with that speed can really harrass taller guards bringing the ball up since they get so low when guarding. I think Pikiell is extremely partial to tall, long back courts, but this looks like it would be a huge upgrade to who we had as a back up last year.
I don't want to recruit guys who you believe their max is as a backup point guard. I want players to be recruited to be starters.

Being honest. I am always open to have my view point changed. That could be true. I just see he hasn’t been contacted recently with this staff. Trying to find who we are realistically after.

No one knows what these kids are thinking. With regards to Strickland, for all we know, he might not have even have wanted to be THE point guard on a team from day 1.

My guess (and that’s all it is), is that he was a Wisconsin “lean” and nothing happened on his visit here to change that.

I don't want to recruit guys who you believe their max is as a backup point guard. I want players to be recruited to be starters.
Not what I'm saying. I agree with you, recruit guys that believe they can be starters and are that good. Other people are saying that kids won't come unless they see no competition for that playing time, which is the wrong message. You recruit 13 guys who all could be starters and believe they will be, depending on how development and the competition shake out. I'm saying I like a guy like Nowell, and he could definitely be a starter eventually, but he would immediately upgrade the backup pg spot.

Reactions: higgins3
If your PG is quick and under 6'2", he has to be a lights out shooter....there are very few players out there like Corey Sanders who are just better athletically from Day 1, that can overcome being a limited 3 point shooter...you need a Carsen Edwards type.

I hate picking on Michigan guard Simpson but he was getting posted up by bigger Nova guards AND he's not a knock down shooter yet...He's a 4 year player that will improve at Michigan but he cant stop the bigger guards on D...

I would be leery of labels this early on lack of intensity...people want shooters from 3...this is one that can definitely do more than shoot

Reactions: Mr Magoo
If your PG is quick and under 6'2", he has to be a lights out shooter....there are very few players out there like Corey Sanders who are just better athletically from Day 1, that can overcome being a limited 3 point shooter...you need a Carsen Edwards type.

I hate picking on Michigan guard Simpson but he was getting posted up by bigger Nova guards AND he's not a knock down shooter yet...He's a 4 year player that will improve at Michigan but he cant stop the bigger guards on D...

I would be leery of labels this early on lack of intensity...people want shooters from 3...this is one that can definitely do more than shoot
Simpson is listed as 6'0" but I doubt he is that. Villanova definitely took advantage of him and their bigger guards were just as fast/quick. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets recruited over.

I did not see Nowell this past winter but I did see him live last spring at the UA event in NYC....he was playing against other elite teams from around the country and he's a tough/hard nosed/pain in the neck on the ball defender.....he is also fearless in attacking the basket and taking on larger defenders while driving to the hoop....

He was screen and rolled and teams forced switches on him and he tried his best to defend and did OK.....He's generously listed at 5'9".....he's not Myles Mack by any stretch and is nowhere near the shooter Mack was/is.....Mack's only issue was he was asked to do/play a little too many minutes on the ball, vs being a general guard/microwave option off the bench at this level.....Mack was a better shooter than Seton Hall's Myles Powell, who is a solid 6'0" and Powell had 3 to 4 other scorers on the court with him, during his 1st 2 years at SHU.....RU didn't have enough scorers or other guards to be a lead guard, where you can have Mack as a spot up shooter.

Nowell is a player that will succeed wherever he lands because he's determined and I would not bet against him....I would not however take him at this level of play in the B1G, it becomes an immediate liability where teams can take advantage of him and he doesn't knock down enough shots from 3, to counter that when he's on the court....I know people loved watching the UMBC small guard create havoc against UVA, but that's not something I would expect over 20+ B1G games....

Reactions: KevH
has that Mike Williams look on his face....[thumb2]
He looks pretty great, although I know its a mixtape. I'd take him. I love watching fast little guys play. (maybe I'm projecting.)

IMO, We still need at least 1 hyper fast PG on this roster. I would take a long look at the St. Patrick's guard. Only 5'8, but really fast. Then, the last spot as a Grad Transfer PG.. That gives Pike 2 spots for 2019.
5'8 pg???

Rutgers has more than enough problem areas without bringing a small point guard that isn't a good shooter.Scholarships are precious and shouldn't be wasted .

Just to clarify, McConnell is 6'5". Marquis Nowell is 5'8" and this staff hasn't offered him. The previous staff did.

But as for Simpson, the other piece of the equation is that WITH him UM made it to the National Championship.

Just to clarify, McConnell is 6'5". Marquis Nowell is 5'8" and this staff hasn't offered him. The previous staff did.

We are just having a general conversation and people are giving opinions on how we could fill out the rest of the roster.

Some people here are acting like something is a done deal. It's all just message board banter.

We are just having a general conversation and people are giving opinions on how we could fill out the rest of the roster.

Some people here are acting like something is a done deal. It's all just message board banter.

I know that. Just got ant to make others do.

I agree with Pikiell. Ten to fifteen minutes of your backup PG getting posted up and shot over is a long time. The level of talent needed to overcome the height disparity he'd face most nights would probably make him a 4-star recruit at minimum.

Having said that, I realize we're not always in a position to be picky. I just hope going the 5-8 route isn't necessary.

I like bigger guards as well but in driving to the hoop, you need blow-by-speed and Geo doesn’t have that. Corey somewhat had it on certain nights but while driving, he was all about the shot or didn’t have the right complement of players to dish the ball. A player like Nowell is probably a 15-17 minute guy but a player who can cause havoc and give the team a jolt of e energy. I think the kid can play at this level but of course there will be some struggles against certain match ups. He does look like he can also shoot and make his FTs and steal the ball away.

You have three spots and I don’t think you want three freshman? But I would take Hyatt, Nowell and a grad transfer with one year to play. I would take Hyatt, Bandoo and a grad transfer. I guess I would take Hyatt, McConnell and a grad transfer. I think we need to leave two scholarships open for 2019. However we get that done?

Yes, I tried to get to the BB recruiting to see his name and offer list but I could not get there.
Go to the top of this page and click on the three (menu) lines in the upper left corner.

When the window opens scroll down until you see BB recruiting then click the down arrow next to that.

Click basketball recruiting search.

That will take you to a prospect search page.

I recommend bookmarking it.

Go to the top of this page and click on the three (menu) lines in the upper left corner.

When the window opens scroll down until you see BB recruiting then click the down arrow next to that.

Click basketball recruiting search.

That will take you to a prospect search page.

I recommend bookmarking it.

Russ, we always had a Rutgers Recruiting page on this site. It lists all the guys with Rutgers offers by year....the last time I tried to get there I was taken to the National Rivals recruiting page...but, I will try again.

Typically, I don't search for prospects...only those with Rutgers offers. But, I will start using that search. thank you

Russ, we always had a Rutgers Recruiting page on this site. It lists all the guys with Rutgers offers by year....the last time I tried to get there I was taken to the National Rivals recruiting page...but, I will try again.

Typically, I don't search for prospects...only those with Rutgers offers. But, I will start using that search. thank you
Oh that.

That exist on the rivals Network for every team site. Richie started a thread with links to the 2018 and 2019 offers and had pinned it to the board. That probably went away at 11:59 p.m. Saturday. I'll ask him to repost because someone was looking for it

Actually that thread is still on the board. Scroll up it's pinned. There are three pinned threads and the info you're looking for is in one of them

I like bigger guards as well but in driving to the hoop, you need blow-by-speed and Geo doesn’t have that. Corey somewhat had it on certain nights but while driving, he was all about the shot or didn’t have the right complement of players to dish the ball. A player like Nowell is probably a 15-17 minute guy but a player who can cause havoc and give the team a jolt of e energy. I think the kid can play at this level but of course there will be some struggles against certain match ups. He does look like he can also shoot and make his FTs and steal the ball away.

You have three spots and I don’t think you want three freshman? But I would take Hyatt, Nowell and a grad transfer with one year to play. I would take Hyatt, Bandoo and a grad transfer. I guess I would take Hyatt, McConnell and a grad transfer. I think we need to leave two scholarships open for 2019. However we get that done?
Corey only somewhat had blow by speed? What's your bar for that Westbrook?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT