ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Newton - Does not dive for the FB

Couldn't he have just said "I'm just here so I don't get fined ?".
And then gone off and gotten some tissues...so he could cry like a little girl ?
Disappointingly weak in the character department.

Cam is an incredibly talented football player. It is amazing to see someone his sizeable to move that fast. I respect him greatly for his game. But I am not a fan of his at all, going back to being dismissed from one school and probably being paid to go another although I have no proof of that. Not diving after that football was weak! This is the game of your life, you are one big play away from winning it despite how difficult the game has been, and you don't go all in to recover your own fumble????

I did not see the press conference so no comment on that. Coach Rivera did a decent job in his comments.

This post and many subsequent replies speak to a much greater issue than Cam's arrogance. Rooting against someone is not nearly as fulfilling as rooting for someone. Negativity is ugly. To literally say you love seeing someone fail is a very bad look. I used to be this way. Then I grew up.

I am not rooting against him, in fact I love his enthusiasm, but I do not think he represented himself, the team or the league well in that presser. He has to be able balance the good with the bad.

He needs to dive for the ball right there - it's the super bowl and ended the game! Cam got beat up in that game by the Denver D like there was no tomorrow, so you know he was rattled. I have mixed feeling towards Cam - I think he is a charitable, good guy, but also an arrogant jerk who makes me disgusted with him.

Horrible leadership not doing interviews - needs to 'man up' and do it. All the great ones (and not so great ones) do it. Poor choices by Cam.

The guy's a great talent but very immature. It was only a matter of time. When the going gets tough guy's like that show their true colors.

Did he wear those pants when he was leaving the stadium? That's all I care about

Cam just needed to lose a game to show his true colors. Showed some of it after Atlanta loss and even more yesterday. I'll respect him when he carries himself with class after a loss.

Your list includes everyone who speaks their mind, even though they're entitled to their opinion just like you. Go figure. I guess you don't like yourself to much either

There is a difference between speaking your mind and acting like a rude and nasty jerk like Sherman to get famous, and then using the race card for his excuse for why people don't like him. Sorry, there is a valid reason why people don't like Sherman, and is not because he speaks his mind.

Reactions: RUScrew85 and theRU
I thought Cam not wanting to dive on a fumble the most hilarious thing I saw in a football game in a long time.

In no way did I interpret this as he back off because his teammate had a better chance of recovery and he didn't want to mess it up. I think he had a "sorry, not me" moment.

It looked really bad, and considering that he is 6'5' and 250 pounds, and all the Superman hype, I hope he has a huge dose of humility now, and realizes things are not going his way, and maybe act accordingly sometimes.

Reactions: theRU
sorry..he gets paid handsomely to be up there. Peyton and even Brady have all been there on crushing defeats and handled it. Cam is and always will be a punk. Glad he lost... will always root against him until he learns to be humble
That was the problem. The football was only made out of pig skin, not solid gold. Gold would have changed things in his mind.

Don't think we'll be seeing the Chris Laviano clip much anymore. Thanks Cam.

i dont like him and thats all i need to call him that. He joins a very special list for me:

Deon Sanders
Terrell Owens
Jeremy Shockey
Kobe Bryant
ALI
Barry Bonds
A-rod
Roger Clemens
Floyd Mayweather
Chad Johnson - ochocinco
Richard Sherman
---------
only complaint about your list is Ali..... he was a showman..... he had an act to drum up interest in fights, and a lot of people fell for the routine and hated him, when it seemed obvious to me he was just hyping ...... he probably would be the best, or one of the best ever if he did not miss
a couple of years out of the fight business..... it hurt his speed and his boxing overall..

I actually thought the fumble was at his feet and he would have had to backoff to dive on it.
He did look like a deer in the headlights, but I thought he would have had to Drop and roll to get the ball.
Not sure what went through his mind, but it did not look good.
He did have a defeated look on his face most of the game.
You can't show that on the sidelines.

Not a big fan of his, but he had a great season.
Remember what Seattle Defense did to Peyton 2 years ago?
Giants Defense did to Jim Kelly
Pats Defense did to the greatest show on turf (Kurt Warner)
Carolina defense shutdown Broncos (What running game) but in the end, the Denver Defense scored and won the game.

I expect Cam Newton to bounce back next year and have another very good season.
I am not a big fan of his, but I do like some of the things he does (giving kids footballs).

I will be very interested to see how Denver does next year with Brock O at the helm.

Seahawks and Cardinals handed Carolina early leads in playoff games where they got to coast and play with big leads and didn't have to work for much in this playoff run.....they had very little adversity all year and feasted on the AFC South as well as playing the NFC South....neither really prepared them for anything and it's the equivalent of a team playing a softer schedule and not being challenged. This wasn't by any stretch of imagination, a great Carolina team on either side of the ball.....if you redrafted the players from Denver and Carolina's rosters, you would wind up drafting way more Broncos in the top 20-25 players picked.

Cam never really got humbled until he lost in the playoffs for the last couple of years to the Niners and then Seahawks last year. This one felt different for Cam, it will be interesting to see how many players keep the ability to follow Cam's lead going forward. It looked like Carolina was flat coming out of the gate and never played with the sort of enthusiasm needed in this game...they feed off of him and he was shook from the start of the game. They also dropped a lot of catchable passes and before, made some unreal catches in both playoff games.

The next team chemistry experiment will be what the rest of the Panthers do next year. Will there be backlash from other teammates down the road when the road gets rough next year in some games?? There are the Olsen, Kuekhely Thomas Davis types that play with high character and leadership and then there are the Cam, Josh Norman types that feed on emotion to make plays. Eventually someone will have to join Cam in getting him to buy-in as a leader but this will be a team that maxed their talent and frankly was really not that good.

Not with his attitude. Total soft front runner. Dancin and dabbin when he is winning, folds like a tent when he isn't.

Tonight was the litmus for everything people claimed he was. And he sh*t the bed.

Enough about him. Peyton Manning...there is a winner. Congratulations to him. Legend.

Denver won despite Peyton Manning, not because of him. He is an all time great, but he was Denvers second best QB this season.

Denver won despite Peyton Manning, not because of him. He is an all time great, but he was Denvers second best QB this season.

No one said he won them the game. But he did enough.

The guy in the other side didn't. And looked really bad while not doing it.

Reactions: theRU
Typical. When it matters most, dudes like that quit. It's not a surprise. Guy was taken to school tonight.

What happen to the dabbin?
Guess Mr Brylcrecm didn't have a dab left after Miller Highlight got done with him
imageLoader

^ doesn't that look like a tear falling

All you need to ask yourself is: "Would Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger or Tom Brady have dove for that ball?"

Reactions: dvb91
Newton should never be mentioned in the same sentence as SB champions. Until he is one, which will never happen.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Have no problem with someone getting up from a press conference when the media says stuff like "it has to be a real disappointing the way that game ended up, doesn't it?"

I can't understand why he didn't try to grab the fumble, but I agree with this a lot. The dude just lost a huge game. Many of us would have nothing to say except "Get out of my face." I wouldn't be very talkative in that situation, either (especially after pandering questions like the one Terry mentioned).

i dont like him and thats all i need to call him that. He joins a very special list for me:

Deon Sanders
Terrell Owens
Jeremy Shockey
Kobe Bryant
ALI
Barry Bonds
A-rod
Roger Clemens
Floyd Mayweather
Chad Johnson - ochocinco
Richard Sherman

I agree on that list.

Is he unpatriotic?

Unamerican?

Doesn't respect the anthem?

I don't know and I am not sure how you think someone here knows. . Was he the only one with headgear? I think he is the only one that can answer that question.

No one said he won them the game. But he did enough.

The guy in the other side didn't. And looked really bad while not doing it.

To me, it came down to Carolina's turnovers being more costly then Denvers They basically gave up 14 points to the defense (one TD and one almost TD) the difference in the score. Cam's 3 TO's were worse then Manning 2 TO's if you want to give Manning credit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT