ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone ask Pikiell....

why he cannot get his star center a shot in the final 9:13 of a game
Because we don’t run any plays and we don’t have anyone who can break down a defense one on one and drive by their man and make the opposing center have to come over and help out thereby leaving him open and getting a pass for an easy bucket

Cliff scores on put backs and lobs - dunks and layups. He’s not a particularly good scorer on structured plays. I don’t think Running plays through him Is particularly productive.
That’s what color analyst was saying too

There was an open look at 63-61 when the turnover happened, but I don’t think Caleb saw him in time (or the defender clogged the lane). They’ll be fine though, this was a good game to work out more of the kinks.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
why he cannot get his star center a shot attempt in the final 9:13 of a game

Miami had a great gameplan and executed it but Cliff was 7-10 and Pike needed to find a way, thats his job
I said the same thing.

We had 2 good things going for us tonigh....Caleb and Cliff.

There's has too many times this season for stretches when the team forgets about Cliff.

Tonight was unforgiveable with Cliff dominating and Miami not having a big guy to defend him.

My takes:

- Pike has to demand that Cliff gets ball

- Cliff has to demand that he gets the ball

- Hyatt cannot take as many shots as he does. He is such an enigma.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I said the same thing.

There's has too many times this season for stretches when the team forgets about Cliff.

Tonight was unforgiveable with Cliff dominating and Miami not having a big guy to defend him.

My takes:

25 shots for Mag and Hyatt combined....no no no

I said the same thing.

My takes:

If Hyatt doesn't take 12 to 13 shots a game, RU has no chance to win. Spencer has to push up 14 to 15 shots a game as well. Mag can get an occasional isolation, but Caleb needs 13 to 15 shots a game as well.

Mix in Simpson more and Cliff will get better position for pick and roll to get lobs to use his quickness. Cliff should have had 25+ tonight but he needs to play with a better guard up top.

Yes agree PM will make Cliff more involved. But Cliff was again weak on defense, for his size he plays very weak and passive. Temple Big dominated him, and tonight too. He was ineffective down low defending.

Reactions: RUDead
Need to play more zone on defense..keep CO downlow as his man to man is awful
Would help us out more

Cliff scores on put backs and lobs - dunks and layups. He’s not a particularly good scorer on structured plays. I don’t think Running plays through him Is particularly productive.
Disagree with you here; while I agree with he's not a good scorer, wouldn't we rather have had Cliff crossing into the paint taking a 5 footer as apposed to the crappy shots and turnovers we saw the last 7 minutes? Also, he didn't even touch the ball; we should have been getting it in to him so he could draw an extra defender and then he could kick it out then. Just bad coaching there.

Difficult to win without a floor General. And has been stated by others, without an effective PG many Bigs like Reiber are lost on the floor. And to a great extent so are set up shooters like Spencer.

Cliff is still mostly about athleticism and not about basketball skills. He can jump, put back and block shots with the best of them, but no offense can run through him. I really hope he stays put one more year to work on his skill set. Right now, he's clearly not ready to play against NBA talent.

why he cannot get his star center a shot attempt in the final 9:13 of a game

Miami had a great gameplan and executed it but Cliff was 7-10 and Pike needed to find a way, thats his job
We got only 4 foul shots in the game to their 12. NOT COMPLAINING about the difference just that the refs must have been letting them play and getting the ball into Cliff might have gotten us a few more free throws too.

We got only 4 foul shots in the game to their 12. NOT COMPLAINING about the difference just that the refs must have been letting them play and getting the ball into Cliff might have gotten us a few more free throws too.

yeah didnt mention that in my recap but not getting to the line was an issue. I just didnt think we were physical, lots of outside shooting and then ill advised attempts by Hyatt and others who tried high degree of difficulty moves or worse turned the ball over before even getting a shot

As far as Cliff is concerned he remains a work-in-progress with much upside. He will benefit by staying in college (hopefully at RU) and using all 4 years of eligibility (assuming he is not eligible for an additional COVID year) to improve his game. If he goes into the draft after this season, depending on his play, he may be late second round G league pick at best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT