ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 29 PENN STATE: Don't Stop Believing

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Unbelievable win. I think Sweet Pea called this one with his Don't Stop Believing rallying cry. I am hoping the team was inspired by his video. Some of us in the game thread may have stopped believing after RU got down by 19 but we do not play the game. I am glad that the team shook off their bad play and never gave up. I will gladly eat crow from the game thread with some bad takes. The worst of which was this one in response to NJHawk....."Derek isnt going to save us" Good call Hawk and while your takes have been a bit off with respect to Mag the past couple of weeks you have been consistent with the idea that Derek needs to play more especially with Mag out and I have to tip your hat, you are the new KING around here for your call as RU was sputtering early.

Following the disappointing performance vs Michigan, I think many of us were down on this team going forward. I really thought Penn State needed to be a must win because by not winning there would be tons of noise swirling about a fading RU heading to the last 4 in list. Beating Minnesota would likely not quell those vultures and Northwestern to close the season would be seem daunting. RU could not have started out any worse. Down 19, It was as ugly as some of the comments in the game thread. Yet Penn State was leaving points on the table when they got up big and RU scored the last 7 of the first half led by Derek to cut it to a reasonable 10. PSU seemingly layed a hammer down going up 19 at 42-23 3 minutes into the 2nd half. It was all Rutgers after that. RU deliberately chipping away and outscoring the Nittany Lions 36-14 in the last 18:42 including allowing PSU no fg in the last 9:16 and outscoring them 16-3 in that stretch. RU unbelievably had come all the way back and lowered the boom achieving their biggest comeback I believe since Pitt in 1996.

The highs and lows of being a fan. A rollercoaster game. Where you are pulling your hair out screaming how could they look like they never played before and then in the middle making bargains saying wait if we just get this stop. Reeled back in and it leaves you wondering what you just watched. It is always good to be on the end of these not so rare comebacks. It sucks to be on the receiving end. We have all experienced both sides as fans. Look at Michigan State at Iowa yesterday with Sparty blowing a 13 point lead in 90 seconds. How about Wisconsin all but securing a win with just 2 seconds left up 3. Both lost in overtime. The crushing lows and soaring highs....

The lows......2-11 fg in the first 9 minutes and just 5 points, Penn State completing a 24-4 run going up 26-7 and making our team look absolutely silly, RU missing 9 straight fgs during that time, bricks, missed free throws, missed bunnies. Our lowest point of the season. 26-7 with 5 minutes left in the half.

They say "its always darkest before the dawn".....enter Derek Simpson. Started innocently enough with a Cliff steal up to Derek for the easy lay in. RU would outscore PSU 14-5 in the closing minutes of the first half to at least give them a puncher chance down 10. Derek would score the last 7 points of the half finishing 4-8 fg with 9 points. A glimmer of hope considering the rest of the team was shooting just 5-25.

Another low second half, PSU comes out raging with a 3. an and one, and another 3 after Lundy dunked at 17 minutes, RU was left gasping at 42-23 and Coach Pike was forced to call another timeout. So much for the comeback, hope was being sucked out. Somehow Pike was able to get his charges to keep battling. It did not matter that there was some questionable effort at times. It did not matter their mental psyche seemed fragile or that their offense looked dysfunctional. RU simply went to work and chipped away. Give credit to RU for fighting and clawing but almost always in these games you need the opponent to start making mistakes. Penn State was chucking alot tonight. Not playing smart with a lead. They didnt have to work for their early lead and RU was self destructing. That bit PSU as they were not working for their stuff especially the last 10 minutes but by that time, that is where you have to give credit to the RU defense. The bread and butter came back. RU was getting turnovers, they were getting points off turnovers, they started boarding, they defended and they didnt foul. Layups by Cam and Derek taking it to the hoop. How about Calebs hook shot at 54-49. Steals by Cam and Paul. RU smelled blood in the water. They bit and bit hard. And unbelievably the one guy who you cringe on this team when he takes a 3, Caleb McConnell delivered on a huge make that tied it up at 54. Before anyone knew it RU was right in that familiar threading the needle position.

Derek delivered the lead by racing up the court after free throws gave PSU the lead at 56-54.....and he was fouled and made the shots...RU up 57-56. A big risk there being aggressive but played huge rewards. PSU obviously did not scout Derek and couldnt contain his speed. But it was Big Cliff rebounding a missed 3 and then scooping up a missed Derek layup for a lay in that put RU up 59-56. Was this really happening? Yup it was. Just like vs Wisconsin, RU scrambled on D to survive a barrage of 3s culminating with a Cam strip and Oskar securing the ball. It was over. RU had done the unthinkable.

You can question their offensive skills, the sometimes maddening decision making, but this team has absolutely no quit in them. Time and time again they keep being counted out and simply keep delivering. Now 4 straight years picking up a crucial road victory to all but secure NCAA berths. That was a full manball lift today, They laid them on the table. From trainwreck to fixing the tire of the NCAA bus.

Got to wrap this up because I have to gear up for Bacatology. I dont know what to make of the individual players today. Almost everyone had a positive thread somewhere but a couple of guys had poor games and one was benched in the 2nd half after not hustling after a miss. We know who they are and we won so lets move on to the positives. Derek the game of his life, 16 points 6 boards, 6-14 fg, 4-4 ft in 28 minutes. Can Rutgers tap more of that in tourney time. If they can they may have shown they are not done yet. Credit Pike, I know he had little option but to roll the dice here but he has never given Derek the green light as much as he got tonight and it came by limiting minutes of upperclassmen and that is an interesting sign. Oskar is having a wonderful year of late. He delivered 2 big 3s and played at least solid D in 19 minutes. Its all you can ask....and in on that final play too to secure the ball and the win. He is earning his minutes with Pike. How about Caleb...11 points, 2 really pivotal shots late but a warrior as usual. Defense on Pickett, are you kidding me, totally shutting him down in the 2nd half and getting help to from Cliff. Key to that 2nd half so big time coaching move by Pike too. Caleb can make you crazy at times, shot way too much first half but showed more of the Caleb offensively we had been used to in prior years. Cam...even in the first half I thought he was playing well just not getting the looks. I thought he showed his toughness today, got that strip on the illfated final psu shot, took some contact in a some drives to the hoop...13 points in the 36 minutes and a critical steal in their too. Last but not least, Big Cliff, quieter at times but in crunch time he delivered big time with his aforementioned plays. 13 boards, 9 points. Cliff worked it late and as much as it was Derek being the star today, this win happened because a bunch of guys were tough as nails late.

Welcome to March Madness. Trying to figure this team out is not easy. A rough 6 game stretch since Mag went down, 2 competitive losses on the road vs NCAA schools, two eggs at the RAC and two beautiful ugly wins vs 2 schools desperate to secure wins for their NCAA resume. At the end of the day RU is every bit their 18-11/10-8 Big 10 record. They are well positioned to lock down their 3rd (4th) straight NCAA tourney with a win at Minnesota. Where does RU go from here? Does RU get its swagger and a little momentum back from a win like tonight. Maybe...and I think we will know right away vs Minnesota. A lot was at stake tonight. Seasons can turn on a dime, a missed rebound, a missed shot....its a fine line, a very fine line. Say a little thank you to the basketball gods before your heads hit the pillow tonight.

Bac - great write up!

Derek Simpson grew up today and became Geo Baker Jr. Geo broke out at Big 10 tourney at MSG as a freshman and I’m hoping todays game was similar for Derek in terms of elevating his game and stature.

Caleb was a beast on defense in the 2nd half and hit huge shots down the stretch.

Cam was steady hand Luke throughout the game.

Cliff was terrific as well.

Kudos to Oscar for draining those 3s

Kudos to Wolf who contributed in the minutes he played.

Paul / Aundre - Recompose because we will need you both!

I'm glad I was out watching the game at a bar. I was thinking the game thread must be an absolute sh!t show

Simpson was the savior

Caleb's defense on Pickett unbelievable

The heart grit and determination to not give up was inspiring

For me the difference in this game was when Wolf gets a steal that would lead to a bucket and gets called for a BS foul followed by another BS call on the 3 by Paul could have been the end of the run. In the last few games it would have been the end. Instead they kept fighting and battling and it paid off with the W

Shout out to Oskar for playing better D and hitting a couple big 3's and Cam for another very solid all around game

Unbelievable win. I think Sweet Pea called this one with his Don't Stop Believing rallying cry. I am hoping the team was inspired by his video. Some of us in the game thread may have stopped believing after RU got down by 19 but we do not play the game. I am glad that the team shook off their bad play and never gave up. I will gladly eat crow from the game thread with some bad takes. The worst of which was this one in response to NJHawk....."Derek isnt going to save us" Good call Hawk and while your takes have been a bit off with respect to Mag the past couple of weeks you have been consistent with the idea that Derek needs to play more especially with Mag out and I have to tip your hat, you are the new KING around here for your call as RU was sputtering early.

Following the disappointing performance vs Michigan, I think many of us were down on this team going forward. I really thought Penn State needed to be a must win because by not winning there would be tons of noise swirling about a fading RU heading to the last 4 in list. Beating Minnesota would likely not quell those vultures and Northwestern to close the season would be seem daunting. RU could not have started out any worse. Down 19, It was as ugly as some of the comments in the game thread. Yet Penn State was leaving points on the table when they got up big and RU scored the last 7 of the first half led by Derek to cut it to a reasonable 10. PSU seemingly layed a hammer down going up 19 at 42-23 3 minutes into the 2nd half. It was all Rutgers after that. RU deliberately chipping away and outscoring the Nittany Lions 36-14 in the last 18:42 including allowing PSU no fg in the last 9:16 and outscoring them 16-3 in that stretch. RU unbelievably had come all the way back and lowered the boom achieving their biggest comeback I believe since Pitt in 1996.

The highs and lows of being a fan. A rollercoaster game. Where you are pulling your hair out screaming how could they look like they never played before and then in the middle making bargains saying wait if we just get this stop. Reeled back in and it leaves you wondering what you just watched. It is always good to be on the end of these not so rare comebacks. It sucks to be on the receiving end. We have all experienced both sides as fans. Look at Michigan State at Iowa yesterday with Sparty blowing a 13 point lead in 90 seconds. How about Wisconsin all but securing a win with just 2 seconds left up 3. Both lost in overtime. The crushing lows and soaring highs....

The lows......2-11 fg in the first 9 minutes and just 5 points, Penn State completing a 24-4 run going up 26-7 and making our team look absolutely silly, RU missing 9 straight fgs during that time, bricks, missed free throws, missed bunnies. Our lowest point of the season. 26-7 with 5 minutes left in the half.

They say "its always darkest before the dawn".....enter Derek Simpson. Started innocently enough with a Cliff steal up to Derek for the easy lay in. RU would outscore PSU 14-5 in the closing minutes of the first half to at least give them a puncher chance down 10. Derek would score the last 7 points of the half finishing 4-8 fg with 9 points. A glimmer of hope considering the rest of the team was shooting just 5-25.

Another low second half, PSU comes out raging with a 3. an and one, and another 3 after Lundy dunked at 17 minutes, RU was left gasping at 42-23 and Coach Pike was forced to call another timeout. So much for the comeback, hope was being sucked out. Somehow Pike was able to get his charges to keep battling. It did not matter that there was some questionable effort at times. It did not matter their mental psyche seemed fragile or that their offense looked dysfunctional. RU simply went to work and chipped away. Give credit to RU for fighting and clawing but almost always in these games you need the opponent to start making mistakes. Penn State was chucking alot tonight. Not playing smart with a lead. They didnt have to work for their early lead and RU was self destructing. That bit PSU as they were not working for their stuff especially the last 10 minutes but by that time, that is where you have to give credit to the RU defense. The bread and butter came back. RU was getting turnovers, they were getting points off turnovers, they started boarding, they defended and they didnt foul. Layups by Cam and Derek taking it to the hoop. How about Calebs hook shot at 54-49. Steals by Cam and Paul. RU smelled blood in the water. They bit and bit hard. And unbelievably the one guy who you cringe on this team when he takes a 3, Caleb McConnell delivered on a huge make that tied it up at 54. Before anyone knew it RU was right in that familiar threading the needle position.

Derek delivered the lead by racing up the court after free throws gave PSU the lead at 56-54.....and he was fouled and made the shots...RU up 57-56. A big risk there being aggressive but played huge rewards. PSU obviously did not scout Derek and couldnt contain his speed. But it was Big Cliff rebounding a missed 3 and then scooping up a missed Derek layup for a lay in that put RU up 59-56. Was this really happening? Yup it was. Just like vs Wisconsin, RU scrambled on D to survive a barrage of 3s culminating with a Cam strip and Oskar securing the ball. It was over. RU had done the unthinkable.

You can question their offensive skills, the sometimes maddening decision making, but this team has absolutely no quit in them. Time and time again they keep being counted out and simply keep delivering. Now 4 straight years picking up a crucial road victory to all but secure NCAA berths. That was a full manball lift today, They laid them on the table. From trainwreck to fixing the tire of the NCAA bus.

Got to wrap this up because I have to gear up for Bacatology. I dont know what to make of the individual players today. Almost everyone had a positive thread somewhere but a couple of guys had poor games and one was benched in the 2nd half after not hustling after a miss. We know who they are and we won so lets move on to the positives. Derek the game of his life, 16 points 6 boards, 6-14 fg, 4-4 ft in 28 minutes. Can Rutgers tap more of that in tourney time. If they can they may have shown they are not done yet. Credit Pike, I know he had little option but to roll the dice here but he has never given Derek the green light as much as he got tonight and it came by limiting minutes of upperclassmen and that is an interesting sign. Oskar is having a wonderful year of late. He delivered 2 big 3s and played at least solid D in 19 minutes. Its all you can ask....and in on that final play too to secure the ball and the win. He is earning his minutes with Pike. How about Caleb...11 points, 2 really pivotal shots late but a warrior as usual. Defense on Pickett, are you kidding me, totally shutting him down in the 2nd half and getting help to from Cliff. Key to that 2nd half so big time coaching move by Pike too. Caleb can make you crazy at times, shot way too much first half but showed more of the Caleb offensively we had been used to in prior years. Cam...even in the first half I thought he was playing well just not getting the looks. I thought he showed his toughness today, got that strip on the illfated final psu shot, took some contact in a some drives to the hoop...13 points in the 36 minutes and a critical steal in their too. Last but not least, Big Cliff, quieter at times but in crunch time he delivered big time with his aforementioned plays. 13 boards, 9 points. Cliff worked it late and as much as it was Derek being the star today, this win happened because a bunch of guys were tough as nails late.

Welcome to March Madness. Trying to figure this team out is not easy. A rough 6 game stretch since Mag went down, 2 competitive losses on the road vs NCAA schools, two eggs at the RAC and two beautiful ugly wins vs 2 schools desperate to secure wins for their NCAA resume. At the end of the day RU is every bit their 18-11/10-8 Big 10 record. They are well positioned to lock down their 3rd (4th) straight NCAA tourney with a win at Minnesota. Where does RU go from here? Does RU get its swagger and a little momentum back from a win like tonight. Maybe...and I think we will know right away vs Minnesota. A lot was at stake tonight. Seasons can turn on a dime, a missed rebound, a missed shot....its a fine line, a very fine line. Say a little thank you to the basketball gods before your heads hit the pillow tonight.
Great recap. Top 3-5 comeback since I started following in 2000.

Reactions: shields
I'm glad I was out watching the game at a bar. I was thinking the game thread must be an absolute sh!t show

Simpson was the savior

For me the difference in this game was when Wolf gets a steal that would lead to a bucket and gets called for a BS foul followed by another BS call on the 3 by Paul could have been the end of the run. In the last few games it would have been the end. Instead they kept fighting and battling and it paid off with the W

Shout out to Oskar for playing better D and hitting a couple big 3's and Cam for another very solid all around game
The call on Wolf was BS, but not the call on Paul - he grabbed his arm (they showed a replay) - although it was questionable if it was a shooting foul. Yes, the game thread was an absolute shit show as were the bevy of "we suck" threads started in the middle of the game, which is just asking for people to call you a moron and a bad fan if we come back and win, which we did. Great, great win. What bar?

Simpson was the savior

Oskar's two threes set comeback wheels in motion.

Can truly never count this team out. Don’t stop believin’ indeed.

The call on Wolf was BS, but not the call on Paul - he grabbed his arm (they showed a replay) - although it was questionable if it was a shooting foul. Yes, the game thread was an absolute shit show as were the bevy of "we suck" threads started in the middle of the game, which is just asking for people to call you a moron and a bad fan if we come back and win, which we did. Great, great win. What bar?
Great recap as I said in another thread I ate crow too but #’s that steal by Woolfolk at the time was a 5 point swing as the hit a 3 after the call and the other missed call which is always called against us was Cam got fouled on a 3 when he landed on the guy defending him(personally I hate that call) but on that one PSU also hit their other 3 of the second half so despite those 2 possible 5 and 6 point swings we still overcame!!
I would start Derrick and let Aundre come off the bench

The best part about last night was that RU had turned the tables on Ricky Santos (UNH QB), and all those other unknown players that came in for the starters and lit us up. This time, it was our turn to break out a nobody and beat your ass with him. Congratulations to number 0 on his second game winning performance of the season. And while he made us sweat by missing that one and one, props to #22 for the relentless defense and hitting some very tough shots and a HUGE 3-pointer that tied the game.

Bac--excellent recap. You may recall that I previously wrote that Simpson and Wolf should play more and that Hyatt is best served coming off the bench. Simpson should start--his confidence , aggressiveness and attacking the basket is contagious.

Last edited:
Bac- Another great recap. Needless to say, games like last night are why I never post in the real-time game thread! That way at least there is no record of my handwringing and negativity. 😉

Reactions: jonS and erdelyaj
What many have failed to appreciate is that with Mag out it not only impacted our presure defense but upset our rotation. As expected it's taken a few games for Pike to settle on a rotation and starting lineup and for players to adjust to their new and expanded roles. Unfortunately all this happened during the teeth of our Big Ten schedule rathet than early in the season with OOC opponents. Going forward I'd like to see Simpson as the point guard instead of Paul, move Paul to point forward and Hyatt as 6th man. What we lose in rebounding we gain in speeding up our offense and more versatility.....

Last edited:
Reactions: runrutgersrun
I think it's now obvious to everyone--as it should have been obvious from very early on--that Derek has an ability to break down his defender unique on the team. The question has been about maturity, ability to finish, shoooting, defense, spot the open man. He came through with flying colors last night. Wiil he perform that well every night? Unlikely. But it wasn't only his scoring. The offense functioned very well while he was out there.

Reactions: Scangg
Great recap Bac.

I will give you a pass for your game post about not being sad if we don't make the tournament. As big of a fan that you are, that is almost impossible.(You were just justifying in your head and heart)

If I remember correctly, you said the exact same thing in a game post either last year or the year before......

Best of Luck,
Groz

• Love
Reactions: bac2therac
I have to step in front of this Simpson item, because it was not a specific endorsement of any player, it is strictly based on the needs of the team and what helps expand winning.

If RU had multiple guards with Simpson and his skill set, I would not demand Simpson play more minutes, he would have to compete and earn it. In this instance, the team lacks athletic ability at the guard position, so it was cut and dry. It was up to Simpson to deliver.

I don't know why fans are consistently discussing the Mag item, in relation to this current roster. My view of this current roster overrides any one player. My take, disagree or like or not is correct on Mag and Simpson and it's not up to me to make people agree with me. I am looking at the ENTIRE roster full of wings.

Palmquist (not someone I thought would be credible enough to contribute) doesn't get enough credit. He has TEN 3s in the last 8 games, in very limited minutes.

Hyatt (non existent in last 2 games) was lights out in the ugly Nebraska loss, but saved the game vs Wisconsin with 9 PTS, game winning putback/dunk. His 3s will be needed down the road.

Mulcahy is also in a deep valley, but it because he's truly a part time PG and is better suited as a wing player and 3 point shooter. His role on offense can match what Mag provided as the glue guy. He has to hit the reset button.

Caleb can also play the wing where Mag played IF you get Simpson the ball and reduce the workload of asking Paul and Caleb to be the primary ball handlers with Spencer mixed in.

You have with Palmquist FOUR different options to absorb the loss of Mag. It does not minimize what Mag does defensively but this team needs offense. If RU was 2nd nationally in defense, you MUST sacrifice some defense to get offense. It is being twisted into something else. It is looking at the roster as it's set today.

I'm not taking any victory laps, but Mag played 11 1st half minutes before the injury. RU won the MSU game after he left the game. This notion that RU was 1-4 without Mag, is being stretched. The team rallied and won after he left the game, in a game where his 7PTS, was the only bright spot in an ugly offensive 1H.

RU is 3 wins (MSU, at Wisconsin and now at PSU) without Mag playing any significant extended minutes. The defense in all 3 games has been more than adequate enough to win....all 3 teams held below 60 PTS.

Indiana, Illinois were very tough matchups irregardless of whether Mag would have played.

Nebraska was clearly a Pike/Brandon Knight error in pressing most of the game, speeding up Nebraska....that is not a Mag issue, it was a coaching malpractice item.

If you don't agree with this assessment that 4 players can try to make up for Mag's injury, if you reset the lineup with Simpson, it's just a refusal or denial of the facts.

Onto Minnesota and RU becomes extremely dangerous if they can get Hyatt on track and reduce the workload of Mulcahy having to handle the ball. It is a basketball team sport and evaluation. In team sports, this opens up what allows more speed and quickness for Simpson. I am not married to having Hyatt or Palmquist or Caleb or Mulcahy playing over anyone. Let whomever is clicking play and let Simpson sort out the rest.

That was some comeback. I was trying to think about how unlikely it was, but then I thought about the Iowa/MSU game which was a real statistical "tail" event.

No doubt PSU helped the cause by "dying be the 3". I did not realize just how bad Lundy and Funk were during the game and that Dread 3 in the last possession did not even hit rim!

I also thought they should have played #24 more down the stretch versus going small. He was hitting shots.

Great game for Derrick Simpson. I just hope we remain realistic about expectations for him the rest of the way. We have seen others have breakouts and then revert back but he really showed the ability to drive and create.

Many want to see him run the show instead of Paul. I don't think it is an either or situation. We need both of them given our lack of overall depth. I don't think I have seen Paul have a worse stretch since he arrived at RU. Pike needs to figure out how to get him back to being a net positive.

Caleb's defense on Pickett in the second half was tremendous as was our help on the perimeter when he got the ball off screens. I have not thought CM's defense has been consistently good but that second half last night was vintage DPOY type stuff.

Cliff's effort to get that key offensive rebound and put back was as big a play as any.

I see Oskar getting a lot of love. He is the beneficiary of teams helping on others driving to the basket. I am not sure I saw that much D from him but no glaringly bad situations either.

So we all feel better about the trip to Minnesota and the finale against NW. We just cannot take the Minnesota game for granted. Hopefully the team remembers and replicates the last 18 minutes of effort instead of the first 22 of futility.

I have to step in front of this Simpson item, because it was not a specific endorsement of any player, it is strictly based on the needs of the team and what helps expand winning.

If RU had multiple guards with Simpson and his skill set, I would not demand Simpson play more minutes, he would have to compete and earn it. In this instance, the team lacks athletic ability at the guard position, so it was cut and dry. It was up to Simpson to deliver.

I don't know why fans are consistently discussing the Mag item, in relation to this current roster. My view of this current roster overrides any one player. My take, disagree or like or not is correct on Mag and Simpson and it's not up to me to make people agree with me. I am looking at the ENTIRE roster full of wings.

Palmquist (not someone I thought would be credible enough to contribute) doesn't get enough credit. He has TEN 3s in the last 8 games, in very limited minutes.

Hyatt (non existent in last 2 games) was lights out in the ugly Nebraska loss, but saved the game vs Wisconsin with 9 PTS, game winning putback/dunk. His 3s will be needed down the road.

Mulcahy is also in a deep valley, but it because he's truly a part time PG and is better suited as a wing player and 3 point shooter. His role on offense can match what Mag provided as the glue guy. He has to hit the reset button.

Caleb can also play the wing where Mag played IF you get Simpson the ball and reduce the workload of asking Paul and Caleb to be the primary ball handlers with Spencer mixed in.

You have with Palmquist FOUR different options to absorb the loss of Mag. It does not minimize what Mag does defensively but this team needs offense. If RU was 2nd nationally in defense, you MUST sacrifice some defense to get offense. It is being twisted into something else. It is looking at the roster as it's set today.

I'm not taking any victory laps, but Mag played 11 1st half minutes before the injury. RU won the MSU game after he left the game. This notion that RU was 1-4 without Mag, is being stretched. The team rallied and won after he left the game, in a game where his 7PTS, was the only bright spot in an ugly offensive 1H.

RU is 3 wins (MSU, at Wisconsin and now at PSU) without Mag playing any significant extended minutes. The defense in all 3 games has been more than adequate enough to win....all 3 teams held below 60 PTS.

Indiana, Illinois were very tough matchups irregardless of whether Mag would have played.

Nebraska was clearly a Pike/Brandon Knight error in pressing most of the game, speeding up Nebraska....that is not a Mag issue, it was a coaching malpractice item.

If you don't agree with this assessment that 4 players can try to make up for Mag's injury, if you reset the lineup with Simpson, it's just a refusal or denial of the facts.

Onto Minnesota and RU becomes extremely dangerous if they can get Hyatt on track and reduce the workload of Mulcahy having to handle the ball. It is a basketball team sport and evaluation. In team sports, this opens up what allows more speed and quickness for Simpson. I am not married to having Hyatt or Palmquist or Caleb or Mulcahy playing over anyone. Let whomever is clicking play and let Simpson sort out the rest.
You are a denier and cannot even see it. If you do not see the struggle on offense and the lengths that Pike has to navigate with this roster without Mag , then I know you are just being stubborn. We know you talk basketball on here so you are not one of the clueless ones , but you refuse to say you are dead wrong . First, you choose to ignore Mag’s offensive contribution plus his more recent ability to make a big shot , a critical shot or a bucket or two to stop a run. We were getting almost 20 a game from the 4 spot with Mag and Hyatt. Last night we got 3 from Aundre and 6 from Oscar. If Mag was there he would have had at least 10 and played more because Aundre was terrible and if Oscar comes in and hits 2 that gets you to 16 instead of 9.
Secondly, not sure you saw the shit show on the backboards with Penn State getting 3 or 4 or 5 attempts on a possession. As much as Oscar can do , thankfully he has hit some impactful 3’s , he never gets a rebound on either the defensive or offensive glass. You would get killed by a Houston or any other team that crashes the offensive glass. Nothing more disheartening than giving up 3 offensive rebounds and then the team kicks out for a dagger 3.
Third , did you forget how good our press was with Mawot? We are getting almost no turnovers on the press without him and although we have played decent half court defense without him , we have also played some stinkers , where he would help Cliff or play tremendous team defense we are missing.
With this current roster there is now a ceiling and if we are being honest RU can only go so far, where before it was unknown where the ceiling was but a deep tourney run was likely the devastation. Continuing to double down on your ridiculous take makes you look foolish and I know you are better than that.

Same old same old-- apologize after attacking and abandoning the team during the game but the apologies wouldn't be there if it was a loss. Maybe learning not to blow with the wind would be a good thing . Bandwagon fans kind of suck.

Great review for another classic win in the Pike era. Don’t Stop Believing indeed.

Isn’t Penn State the oldest team in college basketball with 4 5th year seniors starters in Pickett, Dread, Wynter and Funk and regular senior Lundy? Henn their 6th man is also a 5th year player. *As an aside the Pitt starting 5 has guys age 24, 24, 23,22,21. That starting 5 is older than the Oklahoma Thunder. Think Shrewsberry might be looking at the ND job or does PSU portal money help them load up again?

So any way imagine PSU’s frustration when true freshman Derek Simpson takes over and wins the game for RU against oldest team in the country? I think that’s a great story line.

Also Imagine PSU’s frustration when it may ultimately be the Rutgers loss at home that knocks them out of the tourney. Will Wiscy, Michigan and PSU all get in. Makes for a good rivalry. These games over the year have been great. One PSU paper said it was the loudest the Bryce Jordan morgue had been al year.

As Mike DeCourcey said, “This was Rutgers best defensive outing of the year.” We held PSU at PSU without a basket for over 9 minutes. Michigan and Indiana couldn’t do that. A legitimate All American candidate didn’t have a shot in the second half. It just might have been Caleb’s finest hour. And as much as we miss Mag, we have now shown we can still play incredible D, in fact our best D of the season, and now we are learning to win without him. Next men up, Oskar and Simpson simply won the game.

Besides the tremendous D, the other significant reason we won was we only had four turnovers!! That was just as important a factor in the win in my humble opinion.

Loved Pike’s jab at the B1G and what a difficult stretch of the season this has been and I suspect Garden lover’s won’t like it and won’t read between the lines. But love how Pike subtly emphasized that we have played 6 out of 8 “away” games in February. No other team in the league this disadvantaged. Also like how he subtly also emphasized the travel the B1G makes RU go through. (See Indy game after Garden). B1G better not pull this scheduling nonsense next year.

Speaking of nonsense, no summary would be complete without commentary on again awful biased officiating against RU. First, we are finally driving to the basket as many have suggested but we still never get the calls. We never get the continuation call and Paul and Cam never get the benefit of the doubt. I think the refs in their bias don’t think they are athletic enough to get the calls. They get knocked around pretty good. I think Cliff has the opposite problem. He gets knocked around pretty good but he never gets the calls because he is too athletic. In either case, we get the short end of the stick way too often.

While those calls are judgment calls, three awful calls stand out and in opinion can not be ignored.

1. Once again the opposing player stepped on the line and it wasn’t called for a game winning/game tying shot? How does that happen? I’m Pike and our AD they are getting correspondence and video tape again. The B1G official can’t miss that, especially after calling Caleb out earlier. We could have been reliving the OSU game. That’s just awful inexcusable officiating. And once again to Rutgers’ detriment. Conspiracy theory? Truth hurts!! OSU still haunting us and it doesn’t even out.

2. Three point foul on Paul. Ridiculously bad. First with all the physical stuff that goes on and so far from the basket that’s a no call. And if okay it was a foul, no way in hell was that in the act of shooting. That was a three point gift in a three point game. Ridiculously bad call.

3. Woolfolk steal foul. There was no foul. A great steal and looked like a great breakaway moment for him and could have been the moment when Woolfolk truly arrived! Refs took that away. Just awful. Add insult to injury PSU hits a three. 5 point swing. Awful officiating.

Back to the good stuff:
Caleb as indicated above maybe besides ND, his best game ever.
Simpson saved the game and no bad turnovers. Controlled speed is a wonder to behold. Reminded me of Jacob taking game over when needed.
Cam shooting crucial and his defense especially the steal and the last second slap? Does that count as a steal too? Great steady Rob Hodgsen performance.
Oskar’s two huge threes can’t be overlooked. He has earned more playing time.
Cliff on offense can sometimes be so frustrating but at the end of the day almost a great double double, 13 rebounds, 9 points, a crucial put back and stayed out of foul trouble. We are getting spoiled.

Some negatives. Foul shooting is starting to dip. We have to fix that pronto.

Hope Paul can figure it out. His confidence seems to turn on one play so he just have to make that great play to get going. Hyatt up and down and hope he comes back to form.

Thought as poorly as we played in the first half, we shot 27% percent, and that we were only down 10 was huge. The play by play announcer astutely noted the same while the biased B1G color guy made some snide remark. That didn’t age well.

If the reprehensible comments were made to the RU team, PSU has to get their act together. That can never ever be tolerated. Makes the RU win even sweeter. It did look like Cam post game was looking behind RU bench. Good for him!! Maybe Carino will get on a real story but nah he wouldn’t do that. He’d rather blast RU fans.

A great win for the books. I don’t recall the 1996 Pitt comeback? This one I doubt I’ll ever forget. Go RU! Beat Minny!!!

Reactions: zebnatto
Huh? We beat MSU, Wiscy and PSU all on the road. We miss Mag but yesterday was our best defensive game of the year.
That’s an odd and unsupported narrative.

The best part about last night was that RU had turned the tables on Ricky Santos (UNH QB), and all those other unknown players that came in for the starters and lit us up. This time, it was our turn to break out a nobody and beat your ass with him. Congratulations to number 0 on his second game winning performance of the season. And while he made us sweat by missing that one and one, props to #22 for the relentless defense and hitting some very tough shots and a HUGE 3-pointer that tied the game.
Ricky Santos wasn’t the starter ? You sure ?

Huh? We beat MSU, Wiscy and PSU all on the road. We miss Mag but yesterday was our best defensive game of the year.
That’s an odd and unsupported narrative.
This was far from our best defensive game of the year. Normalize the looks Lundy and Funk got and what do you have.

Our defense was elite though for the last 15 minutes or so. We found guys that executed the defensive game plan

This was far from our best defensive game of the year. Normalize the looks Lundy and Funk got and what do you have.

Our defense was elite though for the last 15 minutes or so. We found guys that executed the defensive game plan
It was our best effort. DeCourcey said it.

If you saw watched what PSU did to Michigan and Indiana at home you’d agree. 83 and 85 respectively.

It is not only holding down Funk and Lundy, but their legitimate All American, Pickett did not get off a shot in the second half. That’s freaking incredible. PSU did not score for nine and a half minutes. That’s freaking incredible.

It was indeed our best defensive effort of the year.

Last edited:
Sorry to be that guy........

Penn State has no shot blockers. Would Simpson be as effective if we played any of the other 10-13 B1G teams that have a shot blocker?

It was our best effort. DeCourcey said it.

If you saw watched what PSU did to Michigan and Indiana at home you’d agree.

It is not only holding down Funk and Lundy, but their legitimate All American, Pickett did not get off a shot in the second half. That’s freaking incredible. PSU did not score for nine and a half minutes. That’s freaking incredible.

It was indeed our best defensive effort of the year.
We stopped it by sending a double team and PSU didn't capitalize. It was our 13th best defensive game as measured by adjusted defensive efficiency.

DeCourcy didn't watch the 1st half against Maryland then. That 1st half was ridiculous. The game at the RAC vs PSU was so much better too. The defenisve performance on Caleb that game was legendary because he did it mostly himslef.

We stopped it by sending a double team and PSU didn't capitalize. It was our 13th best defensive game as measured by adjusted defensive efficiency.
Stats lie. I’ll give you first half then. Guessing that hurt our efficiency.

PSU scored 83 against Michigan at home.
PSU scored 85 against Indiana at home.
PSU scored 93 against Illinois at home.

But no shots by Pickett, maybe an All American, in the 2nd half. No shots!!! When has that ever happened?
Lundy 1 for 16.
Funk 1 for 7.
PSU didn’t score for 9 and a half minutes.
Which Stat is most incredible?

Given the stakes and PSU at home and our own offensive ineptitude by far our Best Defense of the year in the 2nd half all year if you must. Indisputable.

Last edited:
Stats lie. I’ll give you first half then. Guessing that hurt our efficiency.

PSU scored 83 against Michigan at home.
PSU scored 85 against Indiana at home.
PSU scored 93 against Illinois at home.

But no shots by Pickett, maybe an All American, in the 2nd half. No shots!!! When has that ever happened?
Lundy 1 for 16.
Funk 1 for 7.
PSU didn’t score for 9 and a half minutes.
Which Stat is most incredible?

Given the stakes and PSU at home and our own offensive ineptitude by far our Best Defense of the year in the 2nd half all year if you must. Indisputable.
I said we were elite in the 2nd half.

Again Lundy and Funk were 2-23. How many were contested? How much of that 2-23 do we credit RU defense and how much do we chalk up to luck.

We have had some unbelievable defensive performance this year with some of them being 40 minutes. We were very good overall yesterday, but not remotely near our best.

Watching that 1st half against Maryland I remember can't believing what I was watching. It wasn't them missing shots it was them not getting shots off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT