ADVERTISEMENT

Can we hire Joe Moglia for $1.00?

kennyschiano

All Conference
Gold Member
May 12, 2005
He has money - now he just needs the opportunity. We should at least try.

If auburn and Baylor can hire hs coaches, so can we.

And worst case, he's a stopgap til the big 10 money comes in.

Reactions: RUchi
He is an intriguing possibility - but there would need to be a lot of dialog - a lot of assessment as to whether there would be a genuine match on both sides.
It is rare that an institution sits down with a potential coach who genuinely possesses "F-U money" - there really isn't a blueprint for dealing with this.

hehehe.

but seriously, i doubt moglia would ask for anything. he doesn't need it. what I'd imagine he'd want is to divert that salary to assistants. honestly it could be pretty unique and brilliant. may blow up in our face, but at least it'd be an x factor that no one else has, it would level the financial field, and moglia would improve our program externally.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
This could change the narrative about the program in an instant.

And then it would revert to the same old shit at the first hint of adversity.

Kindly tell me why a $1. per man in his 60's would possibly want to deal with this shit storm? He doesn't need this administration, he doesn't need being slandered by the SL who would immediately begin what would amount to "opposition research" regarding his business activities before he returned to coaching and he doesn't need a fan base who would piss and moan to high heaven the first time he lost a Top 10 NJ recruit to Ohio State, Michigan or Alabama.

hehehe.

but seriously, i doubt moglia would ask for anything. he doesn't need it. what I'd imagine he'd want is to divert that salary to assistants. honestly it could be pretty unique and brilliant. may blow up in our face, but at least it'd be an x factor that no one else has, it would level the financial field, and moglia would improve our program externally.
At this level i don't think we could gamble at HC level...maybe as a coordinater to start..

He has money - now he just needs the opportunity. We should at least try.

If auburn and Baylor can hire hs coaches, so can we.

And worst case, he's a stopgap til the big 10 money comes in.
Guy like him don't get rich by giving things away. He going to at least want market rate. He not working at costal Carolina for free and I don't expect him to start to at RU. He marketing fair market value there so he probably want the same at Rutgers. Secondly do you really want to hire a guy who would be 67 his first season. It would definitely be a short term thing.

And then it would revert to the same old shit at the first hint of adversity.

Kindly tell me why a $1. per man in his 60's would possibly want to deal with this shit storm? He doesn't need this administration, he doesn't need being slandered by the SL who would immediately begin what would amount to "opposition research" regarding his business activities before he returned to coaching and he doesn't need a fan base who would piss and moan to high heaven the first time he lost a Top 10 NJ recruit to Ohio State, Michigan or Alabama.
AND I think he'd welcome the challenge....what does he care....he's rich..

Guy like him don't get rich by giving things away. He going to at least want market rate. He not working at costal Carolina for free and I don't expect him to start to at RU. He marketing fair market value there so he probably want the same at Rutgers.
Always see the negative.

Hobbiest? Do you even know his background? The guy was a defensive coordinator at Dartmouth and I believe won a few Ivy championships before leaving coaching to take a Wall Street job. And he's currently coaching a 1-AA perennial playoff contender not high school. His age doesn't bother me either. He is a REAL CEO head coach (not like our current joke of a HC) and would hire and delegate appropriately. He's a young 67 and if he gives 4-5 good years I'd sign today. The guy is successful in everything he touches...he is essentially the anti-Rutgers. To me Moglia is a no-brainer hire for RU.

Hobbiest? Do you even know his background? The guy was a defensive coordinator at Dartmouth and I believe won a few Ivy championships before leaving coaching to take a Wall Street job. And he's currently coaching a 1-AA perennial playoff contender not high school. His age doesn't bother me either. He is a REAL CEO head coach (not like our current joke of a HC) and would hire and delegate appropriately. He's a young 67 and if he gives 4-5 good years I'd sign today. The guy is successful in everything he touches...he is essentially the anti-Rutgers. To me Moglia is a no-brainer hire for RU.
I say ''hobbiest'' because of what i've read here that he was a Wall St guy by ''profession'' and late in life devoted himself to his personal love....FB....has he even inquired at a major U or profess interest in us ....sell it to Barchi not me...I can't wait 10 plus yrs to see RU rise after GS` finally kick started our team and state with pride....sounds to me like a personal preference or aquaintance..i'm for anything to put the pride back here in NJ/RU.

Will never work. The moment a professor questions anything he will want him fired. The moment the AD does something screwy he'll want them fired. May have worked for Phil Knight in Oregon will never work here.

I say ''hobbiest'' because of what i've read here that he was a Wall St guy by ''profession'' and late in life devoted himself to his personal love....FB....has he even inquired at a major U or profess interest in us ....sell it to Barchi not me...I can't wait 10 plus yrs to see RU rise after GS` finally kick started our team and state with pride....sounds to me like a personal preference or aquaintance..i'm for anything to put the pride back here in NJ/RU.

I Don't know the guy from a hole in the wall. But he's a self made millionaire and a winner as a HEAD coach at the FCS level. Which is more head coaching experience than our last two HC hires had at ANY level combined. he's a NYC guy and from what I'm told extremely charasmatic. He'd give us some personality again. It's definitely outside of the box and could flop but this guy is successful in everything he does so I doubt it would be the complete abortion we are seeing now.

I Don't know the guy from a hole in the wall. But he's a self made millionaire and a winner as a HEAD coach at the FCS level. Which is more head coaching experience than our last two HC hires had at ANY level combined. he's a NYC guy and from what I'm told extremely charasmatic. He'd give us some personality again. It's definitely outside of the box and could flop but this guy is successful in everything he does so I doubt it would be the complete abortion we are seeing now.
Agree....anything to jar the program until the B1G money starts flowing in 5 yrs...who knows but i'm game for anything to get some fire back.

Certainly wouldn't be a status quo hire. But at least he has head coaching experience. One thing he would do is evaluate the roster and shake it up. His Coastal Carolina roster is chock full of Div1-A transfers and JUCOs. He has a handful of NJ players (5) and he's certainly has his foot in the door with recruiting athletes from the Southeast, particularly South Carolina and Georgia.

He is a self-made billionaire. With a B. Not only has he been a winner in everything that he's touched but he is someone who I want to be calling potential donors. Not only is he a billionaire but he has tons of millionaire and billionaire friends.
It may be worth a try.

Just hire him. Has NYC connections,money and can coach. Surround him with a good, young staff that can recruit and we are on our way.

We could probably get him for $1mill a year. If he's successful he could stay like 5-6yrs by which time we get full big ten vesting. I wouldn't mind. Also he would probably install the spread. Which would be better for us to compete in our division.

He is a self-made billionaire. With a B. Not only has he been a winner in everything that he's touched but he is someone who I want to be calling potential donors. Not only is he a billionaire but he has tons of millionaire and billionaire friends.
It's unlikely he's a billionaire. I know there are reports he is but CEOs generally don't become billionaires, founders of companies are. Sometimes they're one in the same but he didn't found TD Ameritrade.

Jamie Dimon who I consider one of the best executives in general not just on Wall Street recently was reported to become a billionaire and this is after a long storied career at several banks. If someone like him is just barely a billionaire it's unlikely Joe Moglia is.

Mind you I'm sure he's worth a few hundred million and when you're worth that much does it really matter?

As to him being a HC on this level, I'd likely pass. You'd need to pay coordinators on the level of Clemson with a million for each side of the ball for me to even think something like this would have a possibility of working. It's his off the field connections that would be possibly be more valuable but who really knows how fruitful they'd be. Maybe they would maybe they wouldn't.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
In lieu of salary, we can name a building in his honor. Wealthy people love having stuff named after them.

I wish. I live in beautiful, not-so-sunny NJ.
lol....Missed NJ and rain out there and moved back but San Diego/LA was nice for Jersey kid in his 20s in the 70s...their was a Naval Air Base in Miramar where the Blue Angels performed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT