ADVERTISEMENT

CFP TV Rights Deal - ESPN 6 years/$7.8 Billion

SMH - too much power in the hands of ESPN. They should treat it like the NFL and have rotations among networks as ESPN will mercilessly promote their properties.
Well if no one else came to bid with a ballpark figure then what can you do. Frankly, the number doesn’t seem that big to me but media companies are cutting costs so they might not want to open their wallets too much for a property that isn’t key for them. It is key for ESPN being a sports network.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Well if no one else came to bid with a ballpark figure then what can you do. Frankly, the number doesn’t seem that big to me but media companies are cutting costs so they might not want to open their wallets too much for a property that isn’t key for them. It is key for ESPN being a sports network.

From former Fox Sports president.

Perhaps a silly question, but where does the 7.8B go? Who is recipient of it?

The conferences who then distribute it to their members. Just like the individual conference tv deals but this is a bigger collective deal for all the power conferences and the G5.

The funny thing is that they've got a deal in place but they haven't come to an agreement on how to split it among the conferences. Their are different membership numbers among the power conferences so some may want to use a formula on a per team basis as opposed to an equal split among the conferences regardless of membership, which is how it's done now.

CFP Dot Com link

The following is a breakdown of the CFP revenue distribution:
  • For the 2023-24 academic year:
    1. Each conference will receive $300,000 for each of its schools when the school’s football team meets the NCAA’s APR for participation in a postseason football game. Each independent institution will also receive $300,000 when its football team meets that standard.
    2. A conference will receive $6 million for each team that is selected for a Playoff Semifinal. There will be no additional distribution to conferences whose teams qualify for the national championship game. A conference will receive $4 million for each team that plays in a non-playoff bowl under the arrangement.
    3. Each conference whose team participates in a Playoff Semifinal, Cotton, Fiesta, or Peach bowls, or in the national championship game, will receive $2.85 million to cover expenses for each game.
  • Based on calculations from the 2022-23 season, the following distributions were made in the spring of 2023 (Estimates for the 2023-24 season will be finalized following the 2024 CFP National Championship.):
    1. Each of the 10 conferences received a base amount. For conferences that have contracts for their champions to participate in the Orange, Rose, or Sugar bowls, the base combined with the full academic performance pool was approximately $79.41 million for each conference. The five conferences that do not have contracts for their champions to participate in the Orange, Rose or Sugar bowls received approximately $102.77 million in aggregate (full academic pool plus base). The conferences distribute these funds as they choose. Notre Dame received a payment of $3.89 million by meeting the APR standard; the other six independents shared $1.89 million.
    2. Certain conferences in the Football Championship Subdivision received approximately $3.08 million in aggregate.

------------------

Separately i saw an article that the B10, PAC and ACC distribute the CFP Seminal Participants money evenly while the SEC and Big12 give a bonus to the teams that make the semifinal.

Last edited:
I wonder since now that Fox and ESPN are equal partners in a streaming service...... and the fact that ESPN can sublicense games, that Fox and ESPN are in on this together behind the scenes...

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
I wondered this too - but with ESPN owning all games all rounds (plus most bowl games) I’m guessing Fox will not get marquee matchups.

Can’t wait to have to pay for another streaming service to watch these games.

I wonder since now that Fox and ESPN are equal partners in a streaming service...... and the fact that ESPN can sublicense games, that Fox and ESPN are in on this together behind the scenes...
I think it's possible for sublicense and the early round games might not be so expensive.

I still wonder about antitrust issues with regards to that combined streaming sports service offering but Hulu existed (although DIS will own all of it soon) so I don't know. So is it the same kind of thing or not.

Notice that ESPN did not publish anything on this.

Some youtubers think this might be a leak to let others know what ESPN is offering.
I wonder if ESPN still has a window where they can negotiate exclusively?

But i did find it weird that ESPN is silent....

Notice that ESPN did not publish anything on this.

Some youtubers think this might be a leak to let others know what ESPN is offering.
I wonder if ESPN still has a window where they can negotiate exclusively?

But i did find it weird that ESPN is silent....
It can’t be finalized yet that’s probably why. Like I was mentioning above the conferences still have to figure out how to split the money among themselves. It might change because of conference configuration changes.

It can’t be finalized yet that’s probably why. Like I was mentioning above the conferences still have to figure out how to split the money among themselves. It might change because of conference configuration changes.
So you think the deal as shown is what is being accepted.

I wonder.........
Did Fox not want to bid? What their bid lower? Are they(Fox/ESPN) handshaking behind the scenes to keep the $$ low?

So you think the deal as shown is what is being accepted.

I wonder.........
Did Fox not want to bid? What their bid lower? Are they(Fox/ESPN) handshaking behind the scenes to keep the $$ low?
Yea I think that was what was accepted. It’s more important to ESPN being an exclusive sports network. Plus they might have had the inside track with two years still left on the old deal and the conferences wanting expansion to start this year. Only the early round games might have been available for the first two years and that might not have been enough incentive for the other networks to open their wallets so much.

I was reading some early round games might just be worth 5M.

I think it's possible for sublicense and the early round games might not be so expensive.

I still wonder about antitrust issues with regards to that combined streaming sports service offering but Hulu existed (although DIS will own all of it soon) so I don't know. So is it the same kind of thing or not.
Well looks like it will be reviewed for antitrust.

Recipients!!! Outside of the money going to participants and conferences, I'm thinking plenty of peoples pockets will be padded with cash.

Question. How will Notre Dame be treated? They are not in a conference for football, so they should not be eligible for any conference payouts. And before anyone says "who cares about ND?", in a way, I don't care. But any possible way to short them for trying to remain independent jackasses would be a plus, right?

Reactions: NY AGENTMAN
Question. How will Notre Dame be treated? They are not in a conference for football, so they should not be eligible for any conference payouts. And before anyone says "who cares about ND?", in a way, I don't care. But any possible way to short them for trying to remain independent jackasses would be a plus, right?
Never happen. The conferences had the ability to force ND into a conference by making a conference championship be a requirement at the inception of the 4 team playoff, and they didn’t do it.

Now, with 7 at large spots, it will be easier than ever for ND to get in.

This was the distribution for last year.

Still disagree and think it's a dumb process for selecting the teams.
Either all conferences are treated equally or none are.

• Haha
Reactions: thegock
Still disagree and think it's a dumb process for selecting the teams.
Either all conferences are treated equally or none are.
Why should they be treated equally when they are not equal? Some of these conferences will have playoff contenders who played 2-3 tough opponents while the SEC or B1G equivalent played that level of team 6-7 times.

Reactions: NickRU714
Why should they be treated equally when they are not equal? Some of these conferences will have playoff contenders who played 2-3 tough opponents while the SEC or B1G equivalent played that level of team 6-7 times.

Why does every basketball conference get an AQ?
"Some of these conferences will have playoff contenders who played 2-3 tough opponents....."

They should be treated equally because they are all equal in the same division: 1-A FBS
Are there different playing rules for "P4" schools v. "G5" schools?
Different roster requirements?
Different recruiting stipulations?
Literally everything is the same because they are all supposed to be the same. because everyone has to operate under the same rules because they are all in the same league.

I agree though - make the "informal" designation finally "formal" and split from the G5 schools.
Create a different set of rules and go from there.
Just end the charade already.

"Some of these conferences will have playoff contenders who played 2-3 tough opponents....."
Because there's room for it in CBB at 68 teams. There isn't room for it in CFB at 4 or 12 or even 16.

Mind you I've seen lots of chatter recently of making the NCAA tourney even bigger to make more room for P4 schools. I think the NCAA tourney is fine at present because there's room for everyone but the way they're talking, I wouldn't rule out more tourney expansion in the future.

They should be treated equally because they are all equal in the same division: 1-A FBS
Are there different playing rules for "P4" schools v. "G5" schools?
Different roster requirements?
Different recruiting stipulations?
Literally everything is the same because they are all supposed to be the same. because everyone has to operate under the same rules because they are all in the same league.

I agree though - make the "informal" designation finally "formal" and split from the G5 schools.
Create a different set of rules and go from there.
Just end the charade already.
They aren’t treated equally in basketball and they won’t be in the cfb playoff.

The automatic qualifier simply insures all conferences are represented. Beyond that, the distribution of at-large bids is anything but equal.

Guys. The best justification is "well that's the way we've always done it" which is always a bad justification for anything.
Everyone knows its a bad setup because nobody in their right mind would propose using that setup for college basketball.

Because there's room for it in CBB at 68 teams. There isn't room for it in CFB at 4 or 12 or even 16.

Mind you I've seen lots of chatter recently of making the NCAA tourney even bigger to make more room for P4 schools. I think the NCAA tourney is fine at present because there's room for everyone but the way they're talking, I wouldn't rule out more tourney expansion in the future.

That was fine for 4 teams with no AQs for anyone (i.e. all conferences treated equally).
12 teams seems like there is more than enough room for all conferences to be treated equally and get AQs
There are only 9 or 10 conferences.
Want to make room for more at-large bids? Then expand the playoff to 16 or more.

They aren’t treated equally in basketball and they won’t be in the cfb playoff.

The automatic qualifier simply insures all conferences are represented. Beyond that, the distribution of at-large bids is anything but equal.

They are treated equally in basketball (and I'll assume every other college sport - don't know).
Every conference gets an AQ.
As you said, all conferences are represented.
That's not occurring with football. Only 5 conferences are guaranteed representation - not all.

Guys. The best justification is "well that's the way we've always done it" which is always a bad justification for anything.
Everyone knows its a bad setup because nobody in their right mind would propose using that setup for college basketball.

That was fine for 4 teams with no AQs for anyone (i.e. all conferences treated equally).
12 teams seems like there is more than enough room for all conferences to be treated equally and get AQs
Want to make room for more at-large bids? Then expand the playoff to 16 or more.

They are treated equally in basketball (and I'll assume every other college sport - don't know).
That's not occurring with football. Only 5 conferences are guaranteed representation - not all.
If they are treated equally in basketball why are almost half of the bids at large bids that go to just a handful of the conferences?

Every conference has access through the Group of 5 AQ.

They are treated the same, just not your definition of the same.

The same is the everyone has access.

Just like basketball. And some of the access is through a Silly play in game that weeds out some of the conferences that shouldn't be there to begin with. And to ensure that the Big Conferences had more spots included, there are play in games for the power conferences.... Otherwise we would have those teams ranked 65-68 as the number 17 seeds and have them play the 16th seed, instead we have Six 16 seeds, 4 that have to play a game..... and Six 11 seeds, 4 that have to play a game..... but having Eight 16 seeds would be a dick move because they would feel we are treating them bad, so instead we weed off some 11 seeds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT