ADVERTISEMENT

CFP TV Rights Deal - ESPN 6 years/$7.8 Billion

If it's already established that not all conferences are equal - hard not to set up a tier system that benefits Big Ten/SEC above all other conferences.

If P4/G5 is a thing, hard to make an argument against P2/p2 (lower case power)/G5.

If they are treated equally in basketball why are almost half of the bids at large bids that go to just a handful of the conferences?

At Large bids aren't supposed to be evenly allocated. By definition they go to the best available teams regardless of affiliation.

Every conference gets an AQ.
i.e. every conference gets at least 1 representative and is treated equally.

If At-Large bids (for any playoff system) were evenly distributed among the conferences (mandated) that would make them additional AQ spots and not at-large.

If anything like this happened it could push ND into a conference. It could happen anyway in time but this could speed up things.

I hate all playoffs that don’t re seed

Leagues stopped re-seeding to allow for stupid playoff bracket challenges for draft kings and fan Duel

Reactions: NickRU714
Saw mentions on twitter that it could be similar to UEFA champions league (I'm not familiar with it) where the top leagues get 4 bids each. It doesn't necessarily have to be 4 (although McMurphy did mention 4 earlier today) but more than "lesser" leagues

Wow,

I thought the Big10 was offering 4/4/1/1/1 - 4/4/2/2/1 is a steal for the ACC and i would take this in a heart beat if i was the Big12. In the past 6 years, ACC has only averaged 1 top 12 team. Big12 has averaged 2. With an open at large, the Big12 could get 3 anyway.

But SEC was suggested No AQ, all At Large. I suspect the 4/4/2/2/1 is to limit the SEC to 5 teams by the Big10 and getting the ACC and Big12 on board. Also helps solidify the ACC after we take FSU, maybe no one leaves for the Big12.

I know this unequal concept is pissing off ACC and Big12 schools, but this is a win win for everyone except for the SEC.

This CFP-ESPN media deal is flimsy. According to reporters at The Athletic, the deal goes to 2032. However, the deal is contingent on the CFP situation being sorted out. In 2024, college football leaders can’t figure out the 2026 CFP. How long will it take to decide CFP formats through 2032?

The Athletic’s Nicole Auerbach pointed out the uncertainty in a tweet. “CFP still needs to resolve its outstanding issues for 2026 and beyond — revenue distribution, governance, access, etc:” That is a long list of questions to be answered and agreed across 134 schools.

Apparently they are adopting a 3/3/2/2/1 format with 3 At Larges. Initially the chat was around a 4/4/2/2/1 with 1 At Large. Seems the concession was that the B10 and SEC(25-30% of total) will make 50% more than the Big12/ACC(15-20% of total) CFP money. The rest to the G5 and ND.

i assume the range is because the conferences have different number of members. In any case it seems all B10 and SEC will be paid the same... Likewise all ACC and Big12

Last edited:
Reactions: rutgersguy1

Apparently they are adopting a 3/3/2/2/1 format with 3 At Larges. Initially the chat was around a 4/4/2/2/1 with 1 At Large. Seems the concession was that the B10 and SEC(25-30% of total) will make 50% more than the Big12/ACC(15-20% of total) CFP money. The rest to the G5 and ND.

i assume the range is because the conferences have different number of members. In any case it seems all B10 and SEC will be paid the same... Likewise all ACC and Big12
I mentioned in one of these threads a similar hypothetical at 16 teams and how that would be somewhat of a tight squeeze for ND with only 3 at large bids. This would even be a slightly tighter squeeze for ND with 14 teams and still 3 at large bids. They might have to be ranked just a little bit higher to make an at large spot.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I mentioned in one of these threads a similar hypothetical at 16 teams and how that would be somewhat of a tight squeeze for ND with only 3 at large bids. This would even be a slightly tighter squeeze for ND with 14 teams and still 3 at large bids. They might have to be ranked just a little bit higher to make an at large spot.
When you look at it, it would still be an easier path to the playoff than ND has now.

Right now, they in effect have access to 3 at large bids (SEC is never being left out) and their competition for those spots are top 5 teams.

Under the new format, their competition for the 3 at large bids aren’t even top 10.

Apparently (don't want to link the ESPN article), Notre Dame gets in automatically if they are in the top14 as one of the at large.

In the past 6 years, using new conference affiliation and Week 15 rankings(vs 1 AQ), the ACC 2nd team stole 5 spots and the Big12 2nd team stole 3 spots with the 3/3/2/2 model.

I will use the 2019 ranking because it shows the different scenarios

1 LSU(62) SEC
2 Clemson ACC
3 Ohio State BIG10
4 Georgia SEC
5 Oregon BIG10
6 Florida SEC
7 Oklahoma SEC
8 Alabama SEC
9 Penn State BIG10

10 Minnesota BIG10
11 Wisconsin BIG10
12 Notre Dame NADA
13 Baylor BIG12

14 Auburn SEC
15 Iowa BIG10
16 Utah BIG12
17 Memphis NADA
26-30 Virginia or V-Tech ACC - CFP rankings do not show outside top 25.

The teams in Bold would have been in. Obviously new teams in new conferences mean new schedules. For the most part it was an SEC and sometimes a B10 team losing spots to the Big12 and ACC. Ironically, if it were 3 straight up at larges, Notre Dame doesn't get in and Minnesota does.

That Auto "if ND top14, they get in" stipulation is GOLD. Can't believe the SEC and B10 allowed it, since it is at their expense 90% of the time. Probably ESPN facilitated that. ND independent forever now.

B12 and ACC will need to win... otherwise when 2028 comes around and they are trying to get media rights for a CFP extension, the ACC is definitely losing a spot.

Last edited:
3-3-2-2-1 would be an unmitigated disaster.

For all the “not my college football, athletes getting paid, not a level playing field”, this playoff format is worse than all of that.
Would be interesting to see how the “CFB purists” feel about it.

Big 10/SEC want unequal treatment? Too bad. Then leave and start your own playoffs.

Look at that 2019 playoff above.
14 team playoff but the 30th best team makes it over multiple better teams?

3-3-2-2-1 would be an unmitigated disaster.

For all the “not my college football, athletes getting paid, not a level playing field”, this playoff format is worse than all of that.
Would be interesting to see how the “CFB purists” feel about it.

Big 10/SEC want unequal treatment? Too bad. Then leave and start your own playoffs.

Look at that 2019 playoff above.
14 team playoff but the 30th best team makes it over multiple better teams?

Nick, this is unequal treatment that Favors the Big12 and ACC.

SEC probably wants all at large, but that would in all likelihood take away spots from the Big12 and ACC.
B10 probably wants to limit the SEC hence the desire to put some AQs

But this is the ACC and Big12 taking spots from the SEC and sometimes the Big10.

If people are mad, it should be because the B10 and SEC didn't force a 4/4/2/2 OR because they didn't go all At Large - both of which are more fairer, but reduce ACC/Big12 spots.

Reactions: NickRU714

Once again, it's so good to be in the Big 10.

"It's like the Godfather's offer you can't refuse," one Group of 5 athletic director told ESPN on Thursday.

also ...

The CFP will unveil a 12-team format for the 2024 and 2025 seasons. The details of what's expected to be a 14-team field won't be determined until after the TV deal is done.

The format of how that field will shape up is still to be determined. The format for the next two years will be five automatic qualifiers from the five highest-ranked conference champions and seven at-large bids. There's expected to be ongoing discussion about the format for what's expected to be a 14-team playoff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT