ADVERTISEMENT

Chancellor Dutta Resigns

Well, the concerned taxpayers of this state are taking up pitchforks and torches over being forced to pay for Dutta's sabbatical. Is it safe to assume now he's been forced out? Thanks, NJO.

The announcement said he would go to the Engineering School --no mention of a sabbatical, although I imagine he'll get something to help him start research and plan his courses. My guess is that he'll be looking for the equivalent of a campus presidency if one becomes open elsewhere.

no mention of a sabbatical

Definitely read yesterday in one or two of the articles linked within posts on this board that he is being granted a sabbatical year. During that time he is owed an annual salary at the level of his chancellorship position, per his contract terms...according to the news article(s).

Definitely read yesterday in one or two of the articles linked within posts on this board that he is being granted a sabbatical year. During that time he is owed an annual salary at the level of his chancellorship position, per his contract terms...according to the news article(s).

Thanks for the correction. My guess is that RU will also be paying Dutta a pretty penny to be a prof in Engineering if he doesn't find a job elsewhere during his sabbatical year.

He gets canned after only one year as Chancellor and then gets a paid year of sabbatical followed by a chancellor salary level as an Engg prof when he returns until he moves on to the next employer? Is this accurate?

This country would never succeed if the private sector operated this way. No wonder our millennials think that the world owes them a living. Profs like Dutton are their teachers.

to be a prof in Engineering

Apparently as a distinguished professor, so I suppose the salary will be rather generous.

I was thinking that the sabbatical year could just as easily be a mutually agreed upon cover for "find the next opportunity" and there may not be any real intention of him staying at RU as a prof in the engineering school come Fall 2019.

then gets a paid year of sabbatical followed by a chancellor salary level as an Engg prof when he returns

The way I read it was only the upcoming sabbatical year is at the same Chancellor-level salary he received for the past year. Thereafter it may be up to the terms of a newly negotiated contract, but you can bet it'll still be quite generous since it said he'd be a distinguished professor (and I'm not necessarily saying he doesn't deserve that title given his career accomplishments, he may very well have earned it since he's no slouch). But as I just said above, I don't know if I believe it'd ever get to the point where he stays into the Fall of 2019 and assumes a distinguished prof role at Rutgers. More than likely he lands elsewhere in a high level administrative capacity based on his career path to date.

He gets canned after only one year as Chancellor and then gets a paid year of sabbatical followed by a chancellor salary level as an Engg prof when he returns until he moves on to the next employer? Is this accurate?

This country would never succeed if the private sector operated this way. No wonder our millennials think that the world owes them a living. Profs like Dutton are their teachers.
You'd be surprised how much of this goes on at big companies.

I agree with what Tex says; the chancellor-ship salary would only be for the sabbatical year. Distinguished professors, especially in high-demand fields like engineers, do quite well, but I'd be surprised if it was at the same level. So he won't get the same amount after the year is over.

Distinguished professor total comp is easily > $325,000

He won't teach 1 minute of 1 class here, so don't worry about it.

And for the person who said this doesn't happen in private industry, I would suggest you aren't familiar with the comings and goings of C suite executives.

Google how Toys R Us execs bonused themselves out millions of dollars as the bankers and lawyers were in the adjoining conference room mappinf out the bankruptcy liquidation strategy

What? The private sector has been operating like this for a long time. Golden parachutes were created in the private sector and have been going on for many decades. Most executives get a huge separation payout and a year off for the noncompete.

What? The private sector has been operating like this for a long time. Golden parachutes were created in the private sector and have been going on for many decades. Most executives get a huge separation payout and a year off for the noncompete.

Let’s step back for a moment. Yes these type of deals happen in the private sector for C level executives. But that represents a very small number of employees, mostly in the executive suites.

Maybe Dutta looked like a great catch for RU a year ago and they felt they needed to give him a financial incentive to join. Not sure how long the honeymoon lasted but this appears to be a very short stay for someone in such a high position at an institution where it’s tough to get fired. Dutton has simply been demoted but reaps a pretty sweet deal until he talks the next school into taking him. Apparently the RU hiring committee failed to see that Dutta and RU were not a good fit.

RU can always hire from within for the Chancellor position. At least that way the staff has experience with the person while working in the RU environment. That would avoid another Francis Lawrence, Dick McCormick or Julie Hermann type hire. That’s what committees often select for RU.

Let’s step back for a moment. Yes these type of deals happen in the private sector for C level executives. But that represents a very small number of employees, mostly in the executive suites.

Maybe Dutta looked like a great catch for RU a year ago and they felt they needed to give him a financial incentive to join. Not sure how long the honeymoon lasted but this appears to be a very short stay for someone in such a high position at an institution where it’s tough to get fired. Dutton has simply been demoted but reaps a pretty sweet deal until he talks the next school into taking him. Apparently the RU hiring committee failed to see that Dutta and RU were not a good fit.

RU can always hire from within for the Chancellor position. At least that way the staff has experience with the person while working in the RU environment. That would avoid another Francis Lawrence, Dick McCormick or Julie Hermann type hire. That’s what committees often select for RU.

There is nothing exceptional about Dutta;s deal except that Barchi took action when it was clear that Dutta did not fit Barchi's conception of what Dutta would do. Dutta was a high-level executive where he was, and I doubt he would have come without some insurance in case the deal didnd't work out. BTW, Mason Gross, back in the early 1950s, was the last Rutgers president promoted from within.

Dutta was a C level exec

Although you and Barchi disagree, many at Rutgers, including the hiring committee and most of the student body and faculty, thought Dutta was a great fit, and many people still feel that way. Has Barchi or someone else articulated specifically WHY this was not a good fit?

Although you and Barchi disagree, many at Rutgers, including the hiring committee and most of the student body and faculty, thought Dutta was a great fit, and many people still feel that way. Has Barchi or someone else articulated specifically WHY this was not a good fit?

No, and I don't expect him to. For better or worse, there is rarely an explanatory statement when an executive is let go, whether in the private or public or university sector. All I hear is that Dutta and Barchi had some kind of disagreement about the scope of Dutta's authority. Barchi evidently thought that Dutta was getting too big for his britches.

I think Dutta must have caught Barchi sizing him up against various mass transit vehicles.

Don't kid yourself. At any successful large company, any executive at VP level or higher will be transferred into a cushy job if there is a bad fit for their current job.

How about these comments on the article from nj.com readers? Ha!

“Nuisance Settlement. The worst signing in the New York Metropolitan era since the Mets signed Bobby Bonilla...”

“OPM - Other people's money. The Rutgers Fight Song.”

“It's his payoff to leave quietly and early. No worries. The kids will pay the bill. They can all borrow a little more on their loans.”

“This is why I advocate that NO ONE GIVE RUTGERS A DIME in donations as this out of control fiefdom has never been controlled by the state and spends money with complete abandon and disregard for taxpayers. SCREW THEM. And yes, Im an RU Grad.”

“School Administrators are overpaid and generally useless.”

“I guess they will raise the student's rates to pay for this bum and these people are the ones supposed to be smarter than most.”

Last edited:

The private sector does work this way. For Exhibit A., I direct you to the mortgage securities implosion of the late aughts.

It's been said already, but Dutta WAS A C LEVEL EXEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT