ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly

I've never heard of an offensive scheme that didn't require an adequate OL, and we just don't have one. Anyway, if UCLA cans Kelly, that will be two straight situations in which he got fired. Is that what we need??
Agree, it's that simple. No offensive line, no offense.

Would never hire him. His personnel decisions with the Eagles were terrible. Would hate to see who he goes after in recruiting.

Hell yeah. Especially when UCLA can pick up part of the check.

He’s a big enough name to shake up recruiting THIS year and increase fan interest in the program.

Chip modifies his offense to fit his personnel
That isn't working so great at UCLA now.
Could be the college game has caught up defensively with the type of O Kelly likes and he hasn't adjusted to that yet.

Chip is still a name brand, but not like he used to be and won't be in demand because of his lack of success after leaving Oregon

No, in addition to the things others have said in this thread, there were several articles out when he was HC in Philly talking about he hated recruiting and dealing with donors. Here's one I found, but I remember several others with a similar theme.
https://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2013/11/23/three-eagles-leftovers/

Also, if you think Ash's personality didn't work with the media and local coaches, wait til you get a load of Chip.

Reactions: patk89 and Wolv RU
Chip will be canned between now and the end of the season. Could see him returning back to Oregon as an assistant coach with them.

Yes, of course. Are some Rutgers fans really turning their noses up at a guy with the success of Chip Kelly??

Reactions: RU Cheese
No. He is like Strong, someone who was good for a few years and has been sucking all kinds of ass ever since.

Maybe he needs to pay another visit to Kevin Wilson like I posted in the Rich Rod thread lol. Wilson and Day (his former qb) have been doing fine on offense. He's got no defense too...could get away with it in Oregon now with the struggles there's no reprieve.

Maybe he needs to pay another visit to Kevin Wilson like I posted in the Rich Rod thread lol. Wilson and Day (his former qb) have been doing fine on offense. He's got no defense too...could get away with it in Oregon now with the struggles there's no reprieve.

Because OSU has an OL that mauls people, like our best OL from last year, Jonah Jackson.
He doesn’t have that in UCLA.

Because OSU has an OL that mauls people, like our best OL from last year, Jonah Jackson.
He doesn’t have that in UCLA.
Certainly helps...I think UCLA is somewhat young on the OL too...actually quite a bit of the team. I think they were one of the youngest teams last year. His early struggles are surprising but I wouldn't write Kelly off yet until you see what happens next year.....if not a marked improvement next year then I'd wonder about how much of a chance for success he'll have there.

Chip (& to a lesser extent, Rich Rodriguez) is this generation’s Spurrier.

He implemented schemes that were new at the time and found absolutely perfect fits for them on the recruiting trail.

Spurrier had bowling ball RBs and burner WRs.

Chip had Mariotta and burner RB/WR tweeners.

It took years for defenses to adjust, but once they did, their offenses were stopped.

In fact, Spurrier reverted to SEC ground & pound when he went to South Carolina.

Reactions: redking
Chip (& to a lesser extent, Rich Rodriguez) is this generation’s Spurrier.

He implemented schemes that were new at the time and found absolutely perfect fits for them on the recruiting trail.

Spurrier had bowling ball RBs and burner WRs.

Chip had Mariotta and burner RB/WR tweeners.

It took years for defenses to adjust, but once they did, their offenses were stopped.

In fact, Spurrier reverted to SEC ground & pound when he went to South Carolina.
I think Rich Rod's offenses in Arizona were doing fine. I didn't see a lot of their games but I don't recall them struggling like Kelly is currently.

Quick lookup and see that his total offense rankings 2012 wouldn't come up for some reason but 2013 onward were 31, 25, 16, 67, 12 and scoring offense 36, 28, 20, 100, 5.

If anything again I'd say defense could have made him better just like his GRob problem in Michigan.

I think Rich Rod's offenses in Arizona were doing fine. I didn't see a lot of their games but I don't recall them struggling like Kelly is currently.

Quick lookup and see that his total offense rankings 2012 wouldn't come up for some reason but 2013 onward were 31, 25, 16, 67, 12 and scoring offense 36, 28, 20, 100, 5.

If anything again I'd say defense could have made him better just like his GRob problem in Michigan.
Rich continues to evolve his offense. He’s got jet motions and pistol sets. RPOs. But that’s sorta no longer “his” offense. He’s just like everyone else now.

Chip on the other hand has been slow to deviate from what he ran with the Eagles.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
If he can’t rebuild UCLA with all of those resources and playing in a weak PAC 12, then no. No no no

Rich Rod is a solid offensive mind.

But he’s running a “grab-bag” offense now like just about everyone else. Which is fine — like Vkj notes, he still wins.

But his days of absolutely pantsing blue bloods with underrated recruits is over.

I've never heard of an offensive scheme that didn't require an adequate OL, and we just don't have one. Anyway, if UCLA cans Kelly, that will be two straight situations in which he got fired. Is that what we need??

The option.

Or complete spread and run bubbles, tunnels, slants, crossers and verticals (when a team goes press man) but that requires a gun slinger QB.

Reactions: retired711
Rich Rod is a solid offensive mind.

But he’s running a “grab-bag” offense now like just about everyone else. Which is fine — like Vkj notes, he still wins.

But his days of absolutely pantsing blue bloods with underrated recruits is over.
What do you think about Mike Leach. I often read he's running some of the same stuff he ran 20 years ago but he keeps it simple and repeats it endlessly to perfection. Offensively, always pretty strong.

What do you think about Mike Leach. I often read he's running some of the same stuff he ran 20 years ago but he keeps it simple and repeats it endlessly to perfection. Offensively, always pretty strong.
Love the guy’s offense for a non-blue blood.

The reason is game theory.

Passing the ball as much as he does introduces a high degree of variance.

This is good for underdogs, but bad for favorites.

His offense in general is simply a pro passing attack designed around the constraints of college football (time, talent, etc. ).

Another useless thread from the perspective that the only response it will get from the Zealots is that there is One True God, whose name shall be Greg. Thou shalt have no other Gods before Greg. It is right to give him Thanks and Praise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT