ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Ash Reflects on His Time at Rutgers

I finally got to read this article, haven't read any of the responses yet because I wanted my own raw reactions.

Here's a link from MSN that's not behind a paywall:

Chris Ash reflects on Rutgers, his NFL future and his biggest coaching regret | Politi

Still: Even the people calling for his head (and, yes, I was one of them) have to acknowledge the many harsh realities about the football program he took over in 2016. The looming NCAA probation. The shoddy facilities. The administration still trying to run a big-time football program with small-time thinking and financial commitment.

I'm sorry, but there is no justifying the cluster#### he created. He had a helluva lot more support than Flood did (and I'm not defending Flood in the slightest), but refused to work with what he had (players, boosters, traditions, etc.) instead insisting on doing it the "Ohio State" way.

“It wasn’t wins and losses — I get that. But I think there were some things that were definitely better based on our time there.”

Yeah, player hydration and the cute little new knight's head design.
yBXJk8S.gif

It is easy to think of what happened to Rutgers football under Ash as one big failure instead of a series of smaller ones — hiring an inexperienced staff, for example — that led to those early struggles.

One name: Drew Mehringer

“I don’t want to go into details and names, but obviously, the one thing I wish we could have done was fix the quarterback position and get some stability there with a guy we felt like we could build the program around,” Ash said. “We were just unable to get that done, and that’s the most important position you need when you’re trying to win. We just struggled to get that done.”

Really? How about getting a line to give the QB more than a second to throw the ball? How about getting an OC that doesn't cry? Geeze!

I finally got to read this article, haven't read any of the responses yet because I wanted my own raw reactions.

Chris Ash reflects on Rutgers, his NFL future and his biggest coaching regret | Politi

I'm sorry, but there is no justifying the cluster#### he created. He had a helluva lot more support than Flood did (and I'm not defending Flood in the slightest), but refused to work with what he had (players, boosters, traditions, etc.) instead insisting on doing it the "Ohio State" way.

yBXJk8S.gif

Really? How about getting a line to give the QB more than a second to throw the ball? How about getting an OC that doesn't cry? Geeze!
Speaking of our wonder boy OC:

https://goducks.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/drew-mehringer/5009

He wasn't wrong. Every post talks about how bad talent level Flood left.

HC Schiano literally just said the same thing about the players he inherited.
Except he waited years until the players were gone before bashing them.
Well that’s the point. You don’t say something like that in an intro press conference considering you’re going to have to rely on a lot of those guys in the first year or two. It was a lightweight maneuver. Probably a Freudian slip

I love this from Drew’s bio

If you are an OC and your highest achievement is having one offensive lineman win honorable all conference?

That’s basically an admission of sucking

Rutgers (2016)
Mehringer moved to Texas after spending the 2016 season as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Rutgers where, at age 28, he was the youngest play caller in the Power Five conferences and worked to install a new offensive system under first-year head coach Chris Ash. Offensive lineman Tariq Cole earned All-Big Ten Honorable Mention accolades.

If you are an OC and your highest achievement is having one offensive lineman win honorable all conference?

Rutgers (2016)
Mehringer moved to Texas after spending the 2016 season as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Rutgers where, at age 28, he was the youngest play caller in the Power Five conferences and worked to install a new offensive system under first-year head coach Chris Ash. Offensive lineman Tariq Cole earned All-Big Ten Honorable Mention accolades.
Favorite part of that quote is “worked to install a new offensive system”. I’m assuming whomever edited the bio changed it from “installed” to “worked to install.” In case anyone down the road fact checked it of course.

He wasn't wrong. Every post talks about how bad talent level Flood left.

HC Schiano literally just said the same thing about the players he inherited.
Except he waited years until the players were gone before bashing them.
that is one thing I will always respect about Greg in that he does some things with tremendous class. I do really like, appreciate, and respect that about him

yBXJk8S.gif

spot...fking....on.......

Rutgers (2016)
they guy blows and is lucky he's in a profession that is heavily entrenched in 'current pool of' approach

Several people here have used the word "clueless" to describe Ash. That was certainly the impression that he conveyed. He certainly didn't know how to prepare a team to play a game. In that, he reminded a lot of Greg Robinson, who was at Syracuse from about 2005 - 2009. I listened to his postgame interview on their radio network shortly after coming out of the Dome, where the RU fans were celebrating another clobbering of the Orange. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was as though he and I had watched completely different games. He didn't seem to know what had just happened to his team. Ash often didn't seem to know either and neither of them had a clue about what to do to fix things.

RU lost a significant portion of its fan base during his years on the Banks.

Several people here have used the word "clueless" to describe Ash. That was certainly the impression that he conveyed. He certainly didn't know how to prepare a team to play a game. In that, he reminded a lot of Greg Robinson, who was at Syracuse from about 2005 - 2009. I listened to his postgame interview on their radio network shortly after coming out of the Dome, where the RU fans were celebrating another clobbering of the Orange. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was as though he and I had watched completely different games. He didn't seem to know what had just happened to his team. Ash often didn't seem to know either and neither of them had a clue about what to do to fix things.

RU lost a significant portion of its fan base during his years on the Banks.
clueless was appropriate

first post game discussion; halftime adjustment are overrated

knew it right there and said as much

Though, he did inherit some good OL, good RB’s and a few other players he basically just wouldn’t play because they weren’t his guys.
I think Grant and Austin were the only two inherited players Ash ever showed any serious respect for.

Joe P.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT