ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Ash Reflects on His Time at Rutgers

Whenever I click on these nj.com links, I only see the first few paragraphs - am I missing something?

For those that can't read it, here's a summary:

GEDobFMXYAAxoNN.jpg

1*BU57RnJoFGfiZq3d7sgxYQ.jpeg

He loved Rutgers and NJ and all the small successes he brought here that has allowed Greg to have some success.

I think that sums it up lol

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
My reflection on Chris Ash at Rutgers

HE SUCKED!

We knew !

He loved Rutgers and NJ and all the small successes he brought here that has allowed Greg to have some success.

I think that sums it up lol
Matt Millen did say during the broadcast of schiano’s first game back against Michigan state that “ash taught these guys to work hard” to set the stage for Schiano

Couldn’t recruit. Couldn’t rally program alumni or school alumni. Couldn’t put together a Big Ten staff.

Was/is probably a decent Xs & Os guy, but certainly couldn’t coach his way out of that hole.

Matt Millen did say during the broadcast of schiano’s first game back against Michigan state that “ash taught these guys to work hard” to set the stage for Schiano
In fairness, there were some good players left. But some of those players such as Max and Bo and Pacheco were the type of Jersey kids that were going to be all in on Rutgers/NJ anyway.

In fairness, there were some good players left. But some of those players such as Max and Bo and Pacheco were the type of Jersey kids that were going to be all in on Rutgers/NJ anyway.

Shea did as well, McMahon and Brackett being 2 that come to mind. But while Shea didn't cultivate relations with NJ coaches and alums Ash alienated them.

Love this part from Politi.
Really, you were one if them?
When?

"Still: Even the people calling for his head (and, yes, I was one of them) have to acknowledge the many harsh realities about the football program he took over in 2016."

Note: this tweet was the day after the 55-15 loss to Kansas (3-9, 1-8).

Couldn’t recruit. Couldn’t rally program alumni or school alumni. Couldn’t put together a Big Ten staff.

Was/is probably a decent Xs & Os guy, but certainly couldn’t coach his way out of that hole.

Had he taken over after Schiano in 2012, he might have been successful. Just did not have the skillset and strategy to pull us out of the rut that we were in after the 2015 season. He did his best, but it wasn’t enough. We had two opportunities to hire Cristobal and just didn’t get it done. Even Al Golden would have been the much stronger hire than Chris Ash.

Maybe if the f*cker was did more reflecting and put the brakes on his arrogance when he was here, he might have succeeded

Still baffled at his initial press conference

He never was going to succeeed here because he didn’t have the right strategy, and insisted on trying to do things here like they were done at Ohio State. He was DOA.

He never was going to succeeed here because he didn’t have the right strategy, and insisted on trying to do things here like they were done at Ohio State. He was DOA.
That’s not why he didn’t succeed. If he did things the OSU way he could have been successful. His hubris and cluelessness was his downfall

That’s not why he didn’t succeed. If he did things the OSU way he could have been successful. His hubris and cluelessness was his downfall

Cluelessness was an issue, but
No one would have cared about his hubris if he won. Every coach demonstrates hubris.

He tried primarily recruiting the Midwest and had very little to show for it. It took him four years to understand that he needed to recruit Florida. That more than anything else, had a detrimental impact on our talent level.

The Ash fiasco wasn't hard to predict. All you had to do was look at the game when RU went down to Arkansas and put up huge numbers against the Chris Ash lead Arkansas defense. However in his defense he would have had a good defense at RU if he could have brought all those 5 star Ohio State defenders with him to SHI.

Reactions: G- RUnit
Never going to succeed?
DOA?
That seems harsh.
Clearly he was doing something right. Some were even "satisfied with the way things are progessing" and wanted an extension after 2017.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/time-to-think-about-an-extension-for-coach-ash.132909/

Wtf did you expect me to post in midst of a 5 win season. “We’re doomed”

We won 5 games in 2017, with leftover Flood talent and the Bus, so at the time, things seemed to be headed in the right direction, so yes, many were satisfied at that time. But now we’re speaking with 20/20 hindsight, and know better.

• Haha
Reactions: rurichdog
The Ash fiasco wasn't hard to predict. All you had to do was look at the game when RU went down to Arkansas and put up huge numbers against the Chris Ash lead Arkansas defense. However in his defense he would have had a good defense at RU if he could have brought all those 5 star Ohio State defenders with him to SHI.

He wasn’t bad with X’s and O’s But it was his inability to recruit which was a problem. Nevertheless, the new practice fields, weight room, and locker room got done during his tenure, and that was huge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT