ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Ash Reflects on His Time at Rutgers

I did not interact with Greg in Schiano 1.0. But I have multiple times in Schiano 2.0 . Greg has an amazing ability to make you feel like the most important person at event when there a many more important people than you waiting to meet or talk to him. A total gentleman. Great sense of humor. Empathetic. Glad he is here.

This is his public face, and he is great in public.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
Ash was the kind of coach a lawyer AD with a basketball background hires.
Thought hiring a DC from Ohio St had to be a power move.
Compare contrast Hobbs hiring Ash with Boo Corrigan (ND background) hiring Monken (Ga. Southern).
Corrigan knew football and had football contacts/advisors.
He knew recruiting areas and how Navy was winning.
He also knew he couldn't have a HC who had no academy background and would be intimidated.
The brass was part of the problem at Army - Boo and Monken weren't shy about it.
I've seen ADs, HCs and college presidents have to be on the same trajectory for good football.
Northern, basketball leaning places (UConn, SU) rarely have that.
Football has to be #1 from top down

Reactions: arigoldrutgers
Ash was the kind of coach a lawyer AD with a basketball background hires.
Thought hiring a DC from Ohio St had to be a power move.
Compare contrast Hobbs hiring Ash with Boo Corrigan (ND background) hiring Monken (Ga. Southern).
Corrigan knew football and had football contacts/advisors.
He knew recruiting areas and how Navy was winning.
He also knew he couldn't have a HC who had no academy background and would be intimidated.
The brass was part of the problem.
I've seen ADs, HCs and college presidents have to be on the same trajectory to have good football.
Northern, basketball leaning places (UConn, SU) rarely have that.
Football has to be #1 from top down
That's a great narrative except Ash was already pre-packaged by Greg Brown and others and served up to Hobbs to hire the first thing in the door as AD. It was practically a done deal.

So talented that they made him a TE rather than teaching him to be a QB.

What a f'n disaster OC Kill was.
He ruined both long term and short term development at the same time.
It's honestly incredible how he accomplished that.

"Lewis is super talented - ok then let's Redshirt him and let him develop."
Oh, we aren't going to do that.
We're going to play Lewis in 7 games of a 4 win season.

"Ok. Then at least Lewis got a lot of game experience to prepare him to compete for 2018."
Oh we aren't going to do that either. He had 38 passing attempts in 7 games.
He played in 3 games with ZERO pass attempts.
Literally, Lewis came into the game for 1 rush attempt and then left the game. THREE times.
Note - those 3 rush attempts went for -2, 2 and 1 yards each.
That's what we burned his RS for.

Imagine next year we play Surace in 7 games and he has no pass attempts in 3 of them.

See that's the problem
A football know nothing got steered.
Boo would have been like "thanks but we have this."
Boo confronted top military.
Fair, but probably not at Rutgers. Rutgers gonna Rutgers. Don't know why they did all that pre-work on Ash before the AD was hired. That was putting the cart before the horse. But you are right. If it were me, I would have said no, I want to conduct a further search and interviews. Maybe those discussions were had and they agreed to proceed with Ash. We will probably never know. Hobbs really wanted the job and probably did not want to make waves on the way in.

What a f'n disaster OC Kill was.
He ruined both long term and short term development at the same time.
It's honestly incredible how he accomplished that.

"Lewis is super talented - ok then let's Redshirt him and let him develop."
Oh, we aren't going to do that.
We're going to play Lewis in 7 games of a 4 win season.

"Ok. Then at least Lewis got a lot of game experience to prepare him to compete for 2018."
Oh we aren't going to do that either. He had 38 passing attempts in 7 games.
He played in 3 games with ZERO pass attempts.
Literally, Lewis came into the game for 1 rush attempt and then left the game. THREE times.
Note - those 3 rush attempts went for -2, 2 and 1 yards each.
That's what we burned his RS for.

Imagine next year we play Surace in 7 games and he has no pass attempts in 3 of them.
I want to fight you and Ash now. In a cage match. Madison Square Garden. With McNulty as referee. 😜

• Haha
Reactions: NickRU714
Wtf did you expect me to post in midst of a 5 win season. “We’re doomed”

We won 5 games in 2017, with leftover Flood talent and the Bus, so at the time, things seemed to be headed in the right direction, so yes, many were satisfied at that time. But now we’re speaking with 20/20 hindsight, and know better.

Completely wrong.
2017 was an unmitigated disaster of a season and left zero hope of headed in the right direction.

What could you have said?
I think this post kind of nailed it from after the MSU game to end 2017.
Here is just a portion but the entire post details how HC Ash/OC Kill ruined both short term and long term development of the team (credit to you - Lewis should have 100% been redshirted. But HC Ash/OC Kill screwed it up completely).

Basically erase the prior two years and start over - with heavy guard rails on what HC Ash could do.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/how-much-more-time-do-we-give-ash.134996/post-3031638

"Ash future - I like Ash and trust him to get the defense on track. I'd consider an extension now with the following stipulations:
1. Fire Kill. Hire an OC that runs the system Ash wanted from the beginning. Acknowledge it is going to take at minimum 2 years for the system to start working. Trust Ash and the new OC.

2. No more 5th year QBs. Next year Gio and Lewis play and Sit/Chatman redshirt and learn the system. Unless Sit/Chat are head and shoulders above and will start. Then play them.

We need to stop coaching and playing for immediate wins. Everyone says the talent is low, flood left a disaster but nobody wants to actually live through a rebuild.

2018 isn't our year. Plan for 2019-2020-2021 to compete and challenge OSU-PSU-UM-MSU."

I actually had some time to read this and it wasn't blocked for me. More of the same - an Ash Rehash. So I'm not sure why some posters think this sheds any new light on his failed tenure.

Still complaining that everything was rotting when he got here. Taking credit for the facilities when it was more likely existing donors and Hobbs cultivating those relationships. Was the situation worse than what GS inherited when he first came here? How about what Graber, Anderson and Burns were dealing with?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I actually had some time to read this and it wasn't blocked for me. More of the same - an Ash Rehash. So I'm not sure why some posters think this sheds any new light on his failed tenure.

Still complaining that everything was rotting when he got here. Taking credit for the facilities when it was more likely existing donors and Hobbs cultivating those relationships. Was the situation worse than what GS inherited when he first came here? How about what Graber, Anderson and Burns were dealing with?
Yea. Read the article. Offered no new insight. A typical click bait article by Politi. There was no reason to write this article outside of Politi needing a reason to expense the steak dinner.

Yea. Read the article. Offered no new insight. A typical click bait article by Politi. There was no reason to write this article outside of Politi needing a reason to expense the steak dinner.
The hate for Politi is completely unwarranted

The hate for Politi is completely unwarranted
Don’t hate him at all. Think he’s a talented writer but is the furthest from being a true sports columnist. This had nothing to do with sports. And his constant shuttle digs at Rutgers for clicks get old very fast. It’s one thing to meet up and write an article about a Rutgers athlete or coach that many alumni or followers have an appreciation. It’s another thing to write an article about someone that brings rage and anger to most.

The constant defense is unwarranted. See what I did there?

The ash will get us smashed thread was posted days before that press conference. Visionary! Legendary
...I think you do take a bit of an 'L' with Antonio Alfano though (I think you were pushing big-time for us to offer after he left Alabama and Colorado and were mad when we didn't go after him).

Joe P.

Reactions: WhiteBus
...I think you do take a bit of an 'L' with Antonio Alfano though (I think you were pushing big-time for us to offer after he left Alabama and Colorado and were mad when we didn't go after him).

Joe P.
Yeah I would have taken alfano. We need more talent . i was on the side of take and get rid of him if he’s a problem

He literally never played a snap in a FBS game.

Joe P.
He reminds me of Antonio Garay talent wise. But obviously he can’t get it together yet .

Where is this alfano stuff coming from ? Kinda perplexing to bring it up in a thread about ash

He reminds me of Antonio Garay talent wise. But obviously he can’t get it together yet .

Where is this alfano stuff coming from ? Kinda perplexing to bring it up in a thread about ash
When he declared for the draft I was thinking about his roller-coaster ride through multiple colleges and how a number of posters (you weren't the only one) where gnashing their teeth that we never pursued him the multiple times he was available when it was obvious he had a ton of issues. Your 'visionary' post caught my eye and I was just busting your chops (you did call Ash right from the start).

Joe P.

Reactions: Plum Street
When he declared for the draft I was thinking about his roller-coaster ride through multiple colleges and how a number of posters (you weren't the only one) where gnashing their teeth that we never pursued him the multiple times he was available when it was obvious he had a ton of issues. Your 'visionary' post caught my eye and I was just busting your chops.

Joe P.

Yeah , I think there are rumors out there about alfano and why he wasn’t a take.
Very sad to see that talent wasted

Busting chops is good . I am no visionary!! Just legendary !! I am wrong …sometimes!!

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Yeah , I think there are rumors out there about alfano and why he wasn’t a take.

Busting chops is good . I am no visionary!! Just legendary !! I am wrong …sometimes!!
You did call Ash from the start (and believe me I have had some hysterically-bad takes over the years, from thinking we were going bowling in 1999 after going 5-6 in '98 (with our 4 1A wins being off teams that won a combined 9 games) to saying American Idol wouldn't last more than 3 seasons.😂😂😂

Joe P.

Certainly not visionary and formally legendary. Still living off the glory days! 😁

My reflection on Chris Ash at Rutgers

HE SUCKED!
THE HUNT !!!!! 😂🤣😅😂🤣
bugs bunny eye roll GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT