ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Ash Reflects on His Time at Rutgers

The only interesting part of this article:

"He might not want to name the players, but multiple program insiders point to a single decision: Taking strong-armed quarterback Johnathan Lewis out of Saint Peter’s Prep instead of an emerging Jersey Shore prospect named Kenny Pickett."

Are these "insiders" trying to claim this was a mistake? Pretty sure there was 100% approval rating on getting Lewis.
Everyone laughed at Syracuse for "settling" on Tommy Devito. Don't remember Pickett even being mentioned.

I dont know how much difference it would have made but Lewis had OC Kill (burned his RS for 38 attempts) and then OC McNulty immediately turned him into a TE.

Cluelessness was an issue, but
No one would have cared about his hubris if he won. Every coach demonstrates hubris.

He tried primarily recruiting the Midwest and had very little to show for it. It took him four years to understand that he needed to recruit Florida. That more than anything else, had a detrimental impact on our talent level.
Hubris is one thing once you’ve established yourself. It was his first role as a head coach. He should have been humble and inviting. Especially with the donor and fan base. He was anything but that in the 2 times I shared a room with him. One of the most arrogant and off putting people I have ever met. And I come from a wall st background where arrogant and off putting is a badge of honor.

Hubris is one thing once you’ve established yourself. It was his first role as a head coach. He should have been humble and inviting. Especially with the donor and fan base. He was anything but that in the 2 times I shared a room with him. One of the most off putting people I have ever met. And I come from a wall st background where off putting is a badge of honor.

You can say he lacked salesmanship.

Greg Schiano brought plenty of hubris during Schiano I. You need hubris to succeed in this job.
Otherwise, how are you going to convince people to come here?

Ash had a National Championship ring. Plenty of reason to have hubris. We on the other hand were bottom feeders.

I don’t fault him. I fault the people who hired him.

He wasn’t bad with X’s and O’s But it was his inability to recruit which was a problem. Nevertheless, the new practice fields, weight room, and locker room got done during his tenure, and that was huge.
You had an epic whiff on ash in 2017. Just own it. You whiffed badly.

Reactions: RU Cheese

Greg Schiano brought plenty of hubris during Schiano I. You need hubris to succeed in this job.

Ash had a National Championship ring. Plenty of reason to have hubris. We on the other hand were bottom feeders.

I agree you need to confident. Huge difference between confidence, salesmanship and hubris. Schiano 1.0 was confident but inviting and open. Ash was arrogant and dismissive. Schiano sought the assistance of people within the university and grew the brand. Ash created a wall and didn’t let people in and dismantled what was built.

Love this part from Politi.
Really, you were one if them?
When?

"Still: Even the people calling for his head (and, yes, I was one of them) have to acknowledge the many harsh realities about the football program he took over in 2016."

Note: this tweet was the day after the 55-15 loss to Kansas (3-9, 1-8).

Honestly and truly, in the very marrow of his bones, he (Politi) feels he was the driving force behind Rutgers decision to go for Schiano 2.0. If you laugh at him on social media and call him out as delusional when he calls your attention to this when defending an obvious hit piece, he simply blocks you.

The guy is a self important clown who's been living in his own fairyland of the mind for a while now. Positive or negative I simply don't take him seriously anymore.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Honestly and truly, in the very marrow of his bones, he (Politi) feels he was the driving force behind Rutgers decision to go for Schiano 2.0. If you laugh at him on social media and call him out as delusional when he calls your attention to this when defending an obvious hit piece, he simply blocks you.

The guy is a self important clown who's been living in his own fairyland of the mind for a while now. Positive or negative I simply don't take him seriously anymore.
The thing is if Politi was on the editorial staff he would be an excellent reporter. He has talent when it comes to writing The fact that he is a sports reporter with little knowledge, experience or expertise about the inner workings of athletics is the problem. He’s not a stats guy, not a former athlete with insight or chops and he has little to no relationships with the organizations he covers. So his only “ value add” is to create hit pieces with “gotcha journalism” for clicks.

Last edited:
The only interesting part of this article:

"He might not want to name the players, but multiple program insiders point to a single decision: Taking strong-armed quarterback Johnathan Lewis out of Saint Peter’s Prep instead of an emerging Jersey Shore prospect named Kenny Pickett."

Are these "insiders" trying to claim this was a mistake? Pretty sure there was 100% approval rating on getting Lewis.
Everyone laughed at Syracuse for "settling" on Tommy Devito. Don't remember Pickett even being mentioned.

I dont know how much difference it would have made but Lewis had OC Kill (burned his RS for 38 attempts) and then OC McNulty immediately turned him into a TE.
Kill said Lewis was one of the most talented quarterbacks he had been around. Or something like that

Wtf did you expect me to post in midst of a 5 win season. “We’re doomed”

We won 5 games in 2017, with leftover Flood talent and the Bus, so at the time, things seemed to be headed in the right direction, so yes, many were satisfied at that time. But now we’re speaking with 20/20 hindsight, and know better.
We didn’t win 5 games. .

He loved Rutgers and NJ and all the small successes he brought here that has allowed Greg to have some success.

I think that sums it up lol
Hey I would love Rutgers too if they paid me his salary for as little as he actually accomplished as HC. Nice guy I guess but with no real personality …. We all would do well to remember his coaching and where it lead us .

Reactions: RUDeac
Spent most of his time erasing any references to Greg. They must have been close buds at OSU.
Greg replaced Ash at OSU. When Meyer hired Greg I felt the air go out of the room. From a "recruiting top NJ kids" perspective - I mean how could a guy like Ash compete? GS knew everything good bad or indifferent about us and actually has charisma. And could talk all that OSU offered that we couldn't.

The fact that he can’t sniff a DC role should tell you everything you need to know. I’m sure he is a good position coach but he was a horrible face of a program. I’ve seen some people uncomfortable in a public setting and he is at the top of the list.
Have shared before. At a donor event in the town we were living in, I started chatting with him because he was all alone, and he immediately seemed combative in his tone. I wanted to fight him right there. I should have. It would have been worth it even if I lost. I knew a lot of police in town, may have been able to get him arrested and imprisoned. I would have been a hero to Rutgers football fans. I'm just pulling a @Plum Street street here waxing poetic about my abilities. 😂

Good column by Politi. The comments here suggest nobody actually read the article.

I can only speak for myself but I read it and quoted specific paragraphs.

Another interacting part.
Wasn't there some guy a couple weeks ago saying HC Ash was still involved with Rutgers and has his supporters in the AD?

We mocked him but maybe he wasn't so crazy?

“I enjoyed my time at Rutgers,” he said. “I met a lot of great people, and stay in touch with a lot of people still there, consider them friends."

Reactions: rutgersfan1766

I did not interact with Greg in Schiano 1.0. But I have multiple times in Schiano 2.0 . Greg has an amazing ability to make you feel like the most important person at event when there a many more important people than you waiting to meet or talk to him. A total gentleman. Great sense of humor. Empathetic. Glad he is here.

Chris Ash was a shitty gameday coach and even worse recruiter who burned bridges with coaches throughout NJ. They hated that douchebag. The fact that pretty much everyone in the state of NJ practically held a parade when Schiano came back and Rutgers is now finally competitive with a few of Chris' leftovers + a ton of transfers shows how much of an Ash-hole he was here. Good riddance

I did not interact with Greg in Schiano 1.0. But I have multiple times in Schiano 2.0 . Greg has an amazing ability to make you feel like the most important person at event when there a many more important people than you waiting to meet or talk to him. A total gentleman. Great sense of humor. Empathetic. Glad he is here.
In my lone, brief five minute conversation with the man (and Tim P.) I too can attest he was extremely approachable and didn't have any airs.

I can only speak for myself but I read it and quoted specific paragraphs.

Another interacting part.
Wasn't there some guy a couple weeks ago saying HC Ash was still involved with Rutgers and has his supporters in the AD?

We mocked him but maybe he wasn't so crazy?

“I enjoyed my time at Rutgers,” he said. “I met a lot of great people, and stay in touch with a lot of people still there, consider them friends."
Yeah, also thought it was pretty big of him to show up to the Gator Bowl even if he was in the tunnel. His wife and kids were sitting in the stands a few rows in front of me.

Have shared before. At a donor event in the town we were living in, I started chatting with him because he was all alone, and he immediately seemed combative in his tone. I wanted to fight him right there. I should have. It would have been worth it even if I lost. I knew a lot of police in town, may have been able to get him arrested and imprisoned. I would have been a hero to Rutgers football fans. I'm just pulling a @Plum Street street here waxing poetic about my abilities. 😂
Yea I had a couple equally unimpressive interactions with him. He was dismissive and unaware of what his role is at a fundraising event for his program. Both times I had the impression he wanted to leave before he even walked in the door.

Most other coaches I have come in contact with are the exact opposite. I remember being at an event with Schiano at the Bobby vans wall st. Schiano was the first person there and the last to leave. I worked down the block and the event started around 5:30. I walked in the door at 4:45 ish and Schiano was already there and he immediately engaged me and my colleague in conversation. Schiano can work a room. Ash was a wet blanket.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Yea I had a couple equally unimpressive interactions with him. He was dismissive and unaware of what his role is at a fundraising event for his program. Both times I had the impression he wanted to leave before he even walked in the door.

Most other coaches I have come in contact with are the exact opposite. I remember being at an event with Schiano at the Bobby vans wall st. Schiano was the first person there and the last to leave. I worked down the block and the event started around 5:30. I walked in the door at 4:45 ish and Schiano was already there and he immediately engaged me and my colleague in conversation. Schiano can work a room. Ash was a wet blanket.
Do you know who was unbelievably nice and friendly and genuinely interested in "your" life? Vince Okruch. Sure, he maybe felt the need to be. But had several long conversations with him about what I do, and he was very curious about my line of work. It was refreshing, because I love talking about myself! A guy who was interesting was Omar Hales, who had a recruiting role. He had a very interesting way of saying/phrasing things. He worked under Matt Rhule at Temple then Baylor, and I see he is back with him at Nebraska.

Do you know who was unbelievably nice and friendly and genuinely interested in "your" life? Vince Okruch. Sure, he maybe felt the need to be. But had several long conversations with him about what I do, and he was very curious about my line of work. It was refreshing, because I love talking about myself! A guy who was interesting was Omar Hales, who had a recruiting role. He had a very interesting way of saying/phrasing things. He worked under Matt Rhule at Temple then Baylor, and I see he is back with him at Nebraska.
Met Vince once and was very impressed. Totally unassuming and genuine. One of the most genuine people I have ever met was Jay Wright. Met him at a team building event where he spoke. 2 years later I’m at a Villanova (wife’s Alma mater) game and was invited to a cocktail event post game. He engaged me and my wife and remembered details of the conversation I had with him 2 years prior. Crazy!

And yes he was moments away from signing the Rutgers basketball contract. But he did say if the Nova job opened he would have left for it regardless of how successful he was at RU.

I love waxing !

But you didn't refer to yourself in the third person.

Great post @ Superflame01. We have prophets like @Plum Street who nailed the Ash thing and people hate him for it. Then we have a ton of jokers - like this one - who were dead wrong and refuse to accept that even when presented with the receipts.
Yes ! No reason to hate someone that is right.
It is amazing people just don’t own up to being wrong . It happens . Own it.

Just a reminder that the coaches between Schiano 1.0 and 2.0, Ash and Flood, have last names that are attributed to disaster (disASHter) and destruction.

If Ash could've recruited a good O line and got good O line coaching, Pacheco probably would've been a Heisman candidate

Yeah, also thought it was pretty big of him to show up to the Gator Bowl even if he was in the tunnel. His wife and kids were sitting in the stands a few rows in front of me.

Doreen actually sat in front of me, and I thought of saying hi, but since she only knew me through twitter, I left her alone. She watched a portion of the game then left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT