ADVERTISEMENT

Time to think about an EXTENSION for Coach Ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally like what Coach Ash has done here since he arrived (some bumps in the road notwithstanding) but as our coaching staff has been preaching, "it's a process" and there is no need to extend a 5 year contract after year 2. Hobbs should wait to see continued progress and, if we continue to show it both on and off the field as I expect we will, Ash's contract should be extended after next season.

Extend in yr 3 if we make it to a bowl.

Speaking of 2018, schedule's actually pretty favorable outside of the elites

Texas State : Home
Buffalo : Home
Kansas : Away (they're 1-7 this year btw)
Indiana : Home
Illinois : Home
Northwestern : Home
Maryland : Away

Elites: Wisconsin, Penn state, Ohio State, Mich, Mich st.

Reactions: ScarletStateofNJ
Sorry but no. Need to see how year three and the 2019 class shakes out first. After year three we need to make a decision either give him an extension or cut him loose.

You just never stop on here. First you felt we would only win 2 games this year, then when we won 3 half way in you started banging this drum that Ash has not recruited well since he started playing games. We flip a rivals 100 kid and now you say this nonsense.

Reactions: MikeR0102
You just never stop on here. First you felt we would only win 2 games this year, then when we won 3 half way in you started banging this drum that Ash has not recruited well since he started playing games. We flip a rivals 100 kid and now you say this nonsense.
Coaches get extensions when they are doing a great job. He beats two teams that we should have beaten going into the season and loses to a team with much less talent than we have, and he flips a top 100 QB, and that's reason to give an extension? I expect Ash will do OK, but he hasn't showed near enough in two years to warrant additional time, at least not yet.

You guys make it like an extension will cost millions of dollars. You can extend him and still have a cheap way out. Optics go a long way
If you can do it and keep the buyout manageable I'm fine with it. I never like getting your self stuck long term without financial flexibility and that especially rings true for a school like us with less resources. There has to be a manageable out.

After year 3 and seeing how we do is a better time frame to me and even then maybe just a year or 2 tacked on. Schedule does look favorable next year seeing the above post. Recruiting is never my gauge. I've seen lots of excitement over recruits in the past and they don't pan out, sometimes they do. Have to see how they do when they hit the field and develop in the system. Don't comment before that because who knows. Ultimately, wins and losses is the arbiter.

First I have stated we would have a bad record not because of Ash but because of the core of the team is Flood recruits. You can look it up. Even then I changed my tune because I was very high on Bolin. And everyone on this board knows how high I value recruiting. Its been that way for years. Sitowski is a great pickup. But we need a couple more like him to be real confident about the recruiting.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Sorry but time for OP to stop imbibing alcohol is such large quantities...RU offering an extension to a coach that has won 5 games in two years and has been destroyed SO many times in the process?

The media jokes would write themselves!

Seriously...stop

stop It.!!.how about he gets to 500 first.But after Hobbs move with C.Viv..who knows..

171pgi.jpg

Sorry but no. Need to see how year three and the 2019 class shakes out first. After year three we need to make a decision either give him an extension or cut him loose.

No.....

He is under contract Thru the 2020 Season. If after the 2019 Season there is not progress indicative of 5 years of a complete rebuild then you get rid of him.

We need to be realistic that cutting him after 3 years would put us right back where we started.

Trust the pRocess

Sorry but time for OP to stop imbibing alcohol is such large quantities...RU offering an extension to a coach that has won 5 games in two years and has been destroyed SO many times in the process?

The media jokes would write themselves!

Seriously...stop
Not only that, even if he had won a little more this year I still would be hesitant. Look at Mike London in his second year at UVA jump to 8 wins they extended him and then the drop off and they were stuck longer than they would have liked. I say this all the time, not just for us, I never like obligating yourself long term on short term results. Schools take all the risk, coaches get all the benefit.

This isn't even wins it's just some recruits here and there. It's nice but it's not something to obligate yourself long term. How did that work out for Butch Jones.

Honestly, I get the argument about coach being here and recruiting but I don't even know how much I buy the effects of that. There are only 65 P5 schools with 80 some odds spots and fewer starting opportunities regardless. We see recruits jump ship or transfer more often these days just for those opportunities.

I've always said I see recruiting as a tiered pyramid with tiers getting wider as you go down. Most schools will recruit to the status of their school in a particular tier regardless of most coaches, unless you have super recruiter or a very poor one which usually isn't the case in either direction. The other way is if you've been doing well for some time or poorly some time then you can possibly move out of your "normal" tier.

So whether we're 50 or 35 it's all the same talent wise and scheme/development really determines which one was better. You'd really have to push up into 20 or below for me to say yup that probably is a new tier we don't normally recruit in. So this security of a coach and recruiting, on its face sounds reasonable but I'm not so certain about the practical effects in reality.

If you really want to extend try maybe a rolling year tacked on provided it's justified and can be removed if justified as well. Beyond that I'm not fan at this stage but I'm okay if it's financially manageable and doesn't get us stuck if we need to make a move.

This incredibly short sighted.

Yes hes in the right direction. Why extend, increase buy-outs and other payouts for an uncertain future. Next year we bowl and continue this upward trajectory and sure Al, resign away.

Pumped about Sit however, believe a few gems follow him.

I think we need to see how Ash finishes year 3, to extend his contract right now is not smart business. With a semi-watered down schedule in 2018 he needs to finish with at least 6 wins.

No.....

He is under contract Thru the 2020 Season. If after the 2019 Season there is not progress indicative of 5 years of a complete rebuild then you get rid of him.

We need to be realistic that cutting him after 3 years would put us right back where we started.

Trust the pRocess
I think in the end of 2018 we will have a much bigger budget to get a bigger name, so I believe we won't be back at square one.

Coaches get extensions when they are doing a great job. He beats two teams that we should have beaten going into the season and loses to a team with much less talent than we have, and he flips a top 100 QB, and that's reason to give an extension? I expect Ash will do OK, but he hasn't showed near enough in two years to warrant additional time, at least not yet.

Whatever you say, Mrs. Ash.

Kinda impressive how often Al is wrong. Respect the hell out of it.

Al overreacts to everything. After the Washington game, he declared "the rebuild is over." That was a good game for us. Meaning we didn't get embarrassed but it wasn't a monumental shift in the program. And I love the Sitkowski commit. It's huge for the program. But, lets not declare Sitkowski king yet. We did the same thing with Lewis. Sitkowski's time in Florida wasn't all sunshines and rainbows. Also, his decommitment from Miami is being reported as more of a mutual thing than Miami kicking and screaming trying to get him back. I still love the commitment but whenever something good happens Al always goes to the extreme and turns it into a joke.

I think in the end of 2018 we will have a much bigger budget to get a bigger name, so I believe we won't be back at square one.

The Name of the coaches matters very little to the progress right now. Rutgers can't live on their football history like other schools that go after big name coaches. Rutgers needs a Coaches looking to make a name for himself and not an Established guy looking for a turn key solution. I am very much against that the 3 year rule that has become prevalent of late in college football. Especially in our situation.

Time and Time again I said that if Mulcahy listened to the fans Rutgers would has fired Greg after year 3 and he would have never been able to build the recruiting traction needed to get us to the 2005 to 2012 run of Really good teams.

Learn Patience

Last edited:
It's time to do whatever we can to ...
1. Ensure some continuity of the coaching staff over the next few years. (especially the OC).
2. Add a dedicated QB guru as the new 10th coach.

You guys make it like an extension will cost millions of dollars. You can extend him and still have a cheap way out. Optics go a long way

exactly. the reason to extend is recruiting. you don't want rival recruiters telling recruits that he won't be at Rutgers for the duration of the recruits career.

Reactions: czxqa
I like ash and the direction of the program but like others have said wait another season to see more. I want to see uptick in recruiting and no wtf losses. Rutgers has to stop playing the buyout game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT