ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff Omoruyi

So what? - and he should have been blasted, plus they're not related.

I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit...Never said they are related.....he shouldn’t have been blasted....that’s where we differ and that’s ok. Remember coaches, AAU coaches, and ex-teammates from high school and college read these boards....don’t think it doesn’t influence a recruit when it comes down to a decision.

I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit...Never said they are related.....he shouldn’t have been blasted....that’s where we differ and that’s ok. Remember coaches, AAU coaches, and ex-teammates from high school and college read these boards....don’t think it doesn’t influence a recruit when it comes down to a decision.

In today’s vapid media-mad social-media-crazed world where there’s little accountability behind internet warrior speech I’d be willing to bet recruits aren’t needing comfort puppies when hearing/reading this board.

Your points are valid but I’d question how sensitive some kids are to it.

Love him posting us up there. I would like to also inform those who didnt get a chance to see it two other teams were featured before this post: Pitt and a team i forgot.

I think we have a good shot with this kid to be honest. He is certainly at minimum entertaining the idea and serious about RU.

That's what you want, bring in a recruit taking a shot, or about to throw a pass, worried about posts on a message board.

I don't think comments on this message board affect a kid's decision one bit. I think if you believe that, you have a serious inflated sense of self. These kids don't care one bit what some old man behind a keyboard thinks. They care about 2 things and 2 things only. Can I win? Can I get to the league? That is all they care about.

Reactions: jerzeyguy
I don't think comments on this message board affect a kid's decision one bit. I think if you believe that, you have a serious inflated sense of self. These kids don't care one bit what some old man behind a keyboard thinks. They care about 2 things and 2 things only. Can I win? Can I get to the league? That is all they care about.

You need a lobotomy if you believe that. If they care about only those two things, then why are these high profile kids looking at us since we haven’t had a winning season or gone to the post-season since the 2005-2006 season and haven’t been to the tourney or had a winning conference record since 1991. Lol

If you are referring to yourself when you stated that kids don’t care what some old man behind the keyboard says, I would expand that to those of us young guys reading messages on a chat board also. Lol

You are myopic in your thinking if you don’t think recruits aren’t influenced by what posters write. Some athletes have stated that they committed because of the love they received on school sites. Not all go by websites but you are a bigger fool than what I thought if you think this site makes no impact on these young guys. When all things are equal a website can make an impact on SOME athletes. Lol

Last edited:
In today’s vapid media-mad social-media-crazed world where there’s little accountability behind internet warrior speech I’d be willing to bet recruits aren’t needing comfort puppies when hearing/reading this board.

Your points are valid but I’d question how sensitive some kids are to it.

You are right most may not be sensitive, but I am sure there are some that want fans that don’t degrade their athletes online.

Love him posting us up there. I would like to also inform those who didnt get a chance to see it two other teams were featured before this post: Pitt and a team i forgot.

I think we have a good shot with this kid to be honest. He is certainly at minimum entertaining the idea and serious about RU.

I think we have an excellent shot here. He’s a Jersey guy. He has a chance to be a hero in his home state. He may or may not be special in Kentucky and certainly not a hero. Not to mention the educational aspect.

Reactions: Scangg and higgins3
You need a lobotomy if you believe that. If they care about only those two things, then why are these high profile kids looking at us since we haven’t had a winning season or gone to the post-season since the 2005-2006 season and haven’t been to the tourney or had a winning conference record since 1991. Lol

If you are referring to yourself when you stated that kids don’t care what some old man behind the keyboard says, I would expand that to those of us young guys reading messages on a chat board also. Lol

You are myopic in your thinking if you don’t think recruits aren’t influenced by what posters write. Some athletes have stated that they committed because of the love they received on school sites. Not all go by websites but you are a bigger fool than what I thought if you think this site makes no impact on these young guys. When all things are equal a website can make an impact on SOME athletes. Lol
Well I was told that by a friend of mine. Maybe you've heard of him, Jeff Hafley. He's had some success recruiting. I'll take his word over yours.

It’s been noted time and time again that recruits/players/coaches/parents read these boards. And yes they are human like the rest of us. If you talk crap about them it pisses them off just like everyone else.

It’s been noted time and time again that recruits/players/coaches/parents read these boards. And yes they are human like the rest of us. If you talk crap about them it pisses them off just like everyone else.
So we should go on other boards, pretend to be fans and talk crap about recruits?

I'm pretty sure the situation is unique for each player. Some read, some don't. Some care, some don't. I don't know why everyone argues this like it's some set way. My general rule of thumb, don't act like an a$$ online and all is good.

Yes I’m sure a highschooler is reading a Rutgers message board! Lol

Well maybe not this board. Not all high schoolers but the athletes that are being recruited by that team, yes. They do all the time.........read the post by needmorecowbell

A neighbor’s son was being recruited to play football at several P5 schools. The fans would go on his twitter account and write things to him. He would then go on that school’s fan site to see what the fans were saying. The kid actually told me that one of the school’s fans were so adamant about getting a better player than him (and insulting him in the process) that he actually decided to not take an OV to that school and dropped them from consideration.

But no high schoolers don’t read message boards....lol

Last edited:
Well maybe not this board. Not all high schoolers but the athletes that are being recruited by that team, yes. They do all the time.........read the post by needmorecowbell

A neighbor’s son was being recruited to play football at several P5 schools. The fans would go on his twitter account and write things to him. He would then go on that school’s fan site to see what the fans were saying. The kid actually told me that one of the school’s fans were so adamant about getting a better player than him (and insulting him in the process) that he actually decided to not take an OV to that school and dropped them from consideration.

But no high schoolers don’t read message boards....lol

I agree

Some people like to absolve themselves of any responsibility and give themselves the freedom to spew all kinds of junk on a message board (or any social media).

It obviously does impact some recruits and players, as well as their families.
To what extent is debatable (and of course, the impact is not the same for every person).

But please stop with the blanket statements, “What is said on a message board has NO impact whatsoever.”

Not sure what this post means. I'm friends with Jeff and he told me this directly.

I don't care what Hafley says, the notion that kids don't care what other people think is laughably ridiculous. It runs completely against human nature -- let alone human nature for self-absorbed teenagers. Now, whether they see this message board or not is up for debate...I'm sure some do, and others don't. But no one will ever convince me that for kids who do see it, an overwhelmingly positive or negative thread won't make a difference in their perception of the school.

You are claiming Hafley told you this, and I have no reason to not believe you. But in another thread going on right now, people are discussing Schiano and others inside the administration personally contacting John O. to remove content media from this site. How do you square those points of view? It seems there were at least a few people, including Schiano, who didn't agree with Hafley's point of view.

I think what you are saying is just a convenient excuse that is always given here by the set that thinks they have the right to piss and moan and say whatever they want. Then, when they are called on it being counterproductive to the goals of the AD, they say what you are saying.... basically, "well I should be able to bitch and complain as much as I want because no one who matters will care anyway." Nothing more than a convenient excuse... and it begs the question... if no one who matters will care, why the heck are you saying it in the first place? This board should be a positive reflection of the school.

I don't care what Hafley says, the notion that kids don't care what other people think is laughably ridiculous. It runs completely against human nature -- let alone human nature for self-absorbed teenagers. Now, whether they see this message board or not is up for debate...I'm sure some do, and others don't. But no one will ever convince me that for kids who do see it, an overwhelmingly positive or negative thread won't make a difference in their perception of the school.

You are claiming Hafley told you this, and I have no reason to not believe you. But in another thread going on right now, people are discussing Schiano and others inside the administration personally contacting John O. to remove content media from this site. How do you square those points of view? It seems there were at least a few people, including Schiano, who didn't agree with Hafley's point of view.

I think what you are saying is just a convenient excuse that is always given here by the set that thinks they have the right to piss and moan and say whatever they want. Then, when they are called on it being counterproductive to the goals of the AD, they say what you are saying.... basically, "well I should be able to bitch and complain as much as I want because no one who matters will care anyway." Nothing more than a convenient excuse... and it begs the question... if no one who matters will care, why the heck are you saying it in the first place? This board should be a positive reflection of the school.
Well you'd be wrong because I'm not one who comes here to be negative at all. I never talk bad about recruits or players, not because I think they care, but because I think it's weak to put down kids.
Anyway, let me make a counterargument. A kid is djwn to RU and school X. Both schools have an active board. Both have positive and negative posts sbiut said recruit. Are you saying you believe recruits are checking which board is more positive and using that in their decision? I find that laughable.

Well you'd be wrong because I'm not one who comes here to be negative at all. I never talk bad about recruits or players, not because I think they care, but because I think it's weak to put down kids.
Anyway, let me make a counterargument. A kid is djwn to RU and school X. Both schools have an active board. Both have positive and negative posts sbiut said recruit. Are you saying you believe recruits are checking which board is more positive and using that in their decision? I find that laughable.

Just to be really clear, I was not accusing you at all. I don't recall you ever being one of the posters who does this.

As to your point, I agree that is ridiculous. But I am strongly of the opinion that negativity, toward any recruit, in any regard, is highly counterproductive. Who knows what might rub someone the wrong way? Its just not worth it. It can only hurt, and it can never help. And as you sorta point out, there is no upside, other than I guess that the poster complaining gets to vent. No one wants to hear it, and its inappropriate.

But I have to laugh at the excuses. People come on here and piss and whine, and then say, "well, it won't hurt the school because no one cares." And I always think...well, if you believe that then what was the point? Just so that the rest of us can get to experience your bellyaching?

So we should go on other boards, pretend to be fans and talk crap about recruits?
Evil genius
giphy.gif

Corporations across the globe have plans, actions, policies for combatting negative comments on social media. The idea that a negative comment about a recruit has no impact is proven fallacy.

He is a talent/recruiting analyst i suppose like most of the people who make the predictions.
Yeah I know, guess I was just asking like, does he live in Jersey, did he talk to someone involved in the recruitment, or is he just reading tea leaves like us fans and predicting based on that. Hopefully he has some inside info.

He's from basketball illustrated reports and gets 67% right. Not sure he knows anything but let's hope he does.

Does Omoruyi have a timetable for a decision?

Just stop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT