ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff omoRUyi

RRRRUUUU

Senior
Nov 19, 2005
What are the odds he comes back? I saw the list with everyone from UNC to UCLA on the list and no RU. But unlike Cam, is there a chance he gives us the ability to come up with an offer in the ballpark?

His skill set is needed now more than ever.

Reactions: seneca ave
What are the odds he comes back? I saw the list with everyone from UNC to UCLA on the list and no RU. But unlike Cam, is there a chance he gives us the ability to come up with an offer in the ballpark?

No it’s highly doubtful.

I think it's about NIL more than anything. Cliff literally has a village to support. I think if RU put in an offer that was close he'd consider coming back. But RU is not able to field a competitive NIL offer.

Yeah I don't know why people are so definitive that he's gone. That could be true, but it seems logical to me that we needed to get a lot of transfers, so we didn't know what money we'd need and so you say to Cliff, we can't guarantee you $700k say, so go look around and see what you can get if you like, if things go a certain way, we may have some more money in the end then we knew and then we can pay you.

At my suggestion, this was discussed on the Rutgers Rant podcast. The reporters are saying there is no chance of him coming back.

I had the same hope as you...see what the market pays and then come back and see if RU will match it. But the nj.com guys are saying there is no chance of that happening. Perhaps they know that Cliff's NIL value is north of $1,000,000 and we simply don't have it.

Don’t see it happening and just maybe I’ m going to wake up tomorrow and be 18 again. It is about money … make no mistake. Maybe someone on this board steps up with a check for around a mil. That would be what it’s going to take.

Last edited:
At my suggestion, this was discussed on the Rutgers Rant podcast. The reporters are saying there is no chance of him coming back.

I had the same hope as you...see what the market pays and then come back and see if RU will match it. But the nj.com guys are saying there is no chance of that happening. Perhaps they know that Cliff's NIL value is north of $1,000,000 and we simply don't have it.
They didn't provide any details as to why they think that. I assume, as you said, that they know we don't have the cash to be in the running. Not that Cliff is done with RU and just wants a change of scenery or some magical new coach that will give him shooting touch.

I listen to the various podcasts. I really don't know how much they know. I think they have some sources and they know some things and some know more than others, If Steve Pikiell is 100% and I'm 0%, I think most fall in the 10 to 25% range and so I don't really think they know much about how much NIL we have, I think they'd like to present themselves are knowing because they want people to listen to them, but I don't really believe they know.

They didn't provide any details as to why they think that. I assume, as you said, that they know we don't have the cash to be in the running. Not that Cliff is done with RU and just wants a change of scenery or some magical new coach that will give him shooting touch.
Cliff is considered a top big and they are all receiving offers at or near 7 figures.

While RU basketball has NIL available it's not at that level otherwise a big would have already been signed, sealed & delivered.

And Cliff's receiving those offers for his defense, shot blocking and rebounding. In a good offensive system, he'll be scoring like he did with Geo & Paul getting him the ball - alley oops and dunks. He's not a back to the basket type big and there's nothing wrong with that. Have good shooting guards around him means teams can't collapse the paint and he's free to operate 1 v 1.

This is where I don't understand things

Full disclosure, I don't have the 1 mil to donate so I shouldn't be telling people what to do with their money, but it's a message board, so here goes

Next year is the most highly anticipated year in RU bball in my life, if ever
Two one and done's and a legit change to go far in the tourney

You bring back Cliff, that only adds to it
With dylan and ace, he could be the difference maker to elevate us to the final 4

So for 7 figures, is that not worth bringing him in on a 1 year deal
Nearly 50 years later, we're still talking about the 76 team

Just food for thought

He’s been an underachiever. Maybe Hurley can get more out of him.

Reed's stats don't look too bad..."The 6-foot-10 sophomore averaged 9.0 points and 7.2 rebounds this past season". (ESPN)

I'm only noting it because that would suggest Cliff isn't going there now and ties into this thread a bit in that respect.

This is where I don't understand things

Full disclosure, I don't have the 1 mil to donate so I shouldn't be telling people what to do with their money, but it's a message board, so here goes

Next year is the most highly anticipated year in RU bball in my life, if ever
Two one and done's and a legit change to go far in the tourney

You bring back Cliff, that only adds to it
With dylan and ace, he could be the difference maker to elevate us to the final 4

So for 7 figures, is that not worth bringing him in on a 1 year deal
Nearly 50 years later, we're still talking about the 76 team

Just food for thought
I agree but what I think you’ll agree is we really want Cliff to accept this role offensively:
- get rebound put backs, dunks, alleys. That alone is going to be 14+ ppg this year.
- we are almost never ever going to feed you the ball when you’re 10+ feet from the basket. We are not featuring you offensively because you don’t have reliable post moves and you don’t pass well from the post.

We want him to be his normal A+ rim protector, rebounder, and scoring dunks or at the rim.
But last couple years of him posting up and getting fed, especially multiple times early in the games (!!!)…. Tells me he is wanting or expecting to be featured or even just highlighted.

If he can accept and embrace the desired role, he’s worth 2 million!!
(of RUs money that they tell someone that already invests money like that with the university to please do NIL instead as that will reap exponentially to the university in the next several years.)

Reactions: socaldave
[but less skilled away from the basket. He’s a marginal free-throw shooter at best (career 59%), not a floor-spacing threat, or an especially reliable decision-maker or passer trailing the play.]
This is the last paragraph of Cliff’s scouting report. 😂
The current version of our team is looking for floor spacing and decision making,
His limited playing style and decision making is not a fit this years version of Rutgers Basketball
Add to that the reliance on very young talent that is, and will literally end up in a different league from Cliff.
Cliff will, as a $1,000,000 5th year guy have to defer on the court to freshman due to talent and IQ. I don’t see how it helps with team chemistry or the locker room. He would also be getting beat everyday in practice by a freshman Lathan.
Cliff also lack's the intangibles.
He can’t defend the other team’s 5
We are far better off without him.
Can’t wait till he signs elsewhere so we can end talking about him in relation to 2025 RU basketball

Last edited:
[but less skilled away from the basket. He’s a marginal free-throw shooter at best (career 59%), not a floor-spacing threat, or an especially reliable decision-maker or passer trailing the play.]
This is the last paragraph of Cliff’s scouting report. 😂
The current version of our team is looking for floor spacing and decision making,
The current team is looking for a 5 that can be a threat from deep, has post moves, is a rim protector, can defend other centers, can run, handle the ball, pass out of the post, and make good decisions.

Meanwhile, back in reality where those players are in the NBA draft, rebounding and rim protection is the biggest need for this team out of the 5 spot.

The Athletic has Cliff ranked the #17 player in the transfer portal, and they said this:

Ht: 6-11 Wt: 240
As one of the most underappreciated defensive players in college basketball, Omoyuri’s name in the portal will spark a frenzy. He has been the catalyst behind Rutgers finishing fourth and sixth in the country, respectively, in KenPom’s adjusted defensive efficiency metric in each of the last two seasons. This season, he swatted 2.9 shots per game in just 27 minutes per night, and while he earned Big Ten All-Defense honors for the season straight season, he should have been among the national semifinalists for the Naismith Defensive Player of the Year award. It is exceptionally hard to finish over his 7-foot-6 wingspan. Whichever team sways him will get an immediate upgrade on that end of the court.

Omoruyi has been more hit-or-miss on offense, likely due to the way Rutgers used him. I’ve always liked him most as a rim-runner in ball screens who occasionally rolled into quick duck-ins. Omoruyi made 70 percent of his attempts as a roller this season, per Synergy. The Scarlet Knights, however, used him more as a straight post-up big, where he is merely okay. His new team would be wise to deploy him as a screener and diver, or move him to the dunker spot when he’s not involved in the primary action. That way, he can wedge his way into deep seals in the post and be in better position for offensive rebound opportunities, where his length has always been an advantage.

It’s a bit of a surprise to see Omoruyi depart, as Rutgers has a loaded recruiting class next year led by Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper. If the NBA is Omoruyi’s goal, the only program with more scouting eyes on it than Rutgers will be Duke. While Omoruyi would be a tremendous defensive anchor for a group of highly-talented freshmen to have, it looks like someone else will get him. — Sam Vecenie

The current team is looking for a 5 that can be a threat from deep, has post moves, is a rim protector, can defend other centers, can run, handle the ball, pass out of the post, and make good decisions.

Meanwhile, back in reality where those players are in the NBA draft, rebounding and rim protection is the biggest need for this team out of the 5 spot.
I’ll settle for spacing and decision making with some intangibles and an ability to defend an opposing 5. The antithesis of Cliff’s playing style and Who like Cliff, isn’t in the NBA or going to the NBA.

Cliff now has 12 teams on his final list of schools. Guess he can't make up his mind-- usually you don't bargain with 12 -- 2 or 3? Wonder whats going on?

Reactions: Smols
Cliff now has 12 teams on his final list of schools. Guess he can't make up his mind-- usually you don't bargain with 12 -- 2 or 3? Wonder whats going on?
(but less skilled away from the basket. He’s a marginal free-throw shooter at best (career 59%), not a floor-spacing threat, or an especially reliable decision-maker or passer trailing the play.)
All for $1,000,000 😂
(While his hands were an area of concern in high school, they’ve made moderate gains in the last four years)
Also from his scouting report, which is a generous description of his hands

Last edited:
(but less skilled away from the basket. He’s a marginal free-throw shooter at best (career 59%), not a floor-spacing threat, or an especially reliable decision-maker or passer trailing the play.)
All for $1,000,000 😂
(While his hands were an area of concern in high school, they’ve made moderate gains in the last four years)
Also from his scouting report, which is a generous description of his hands
yes, very generous. Anything more than "He has hands" is a stretch.

Of the 21 Big ten games Cliff decisively outplayed the other team's player 6 times. was outplayed 8 times. Of 7 remaining I would give him the edge in 2 and the edge to the other team in 4 and dead even in 1. We were 5-1 in the games he outplayed the opposing player and 2-6 when he didn't. He only out rebouded his opponent in 6 games; out scored in 8, out assisted in 2, and of couse he out blocked in 16 or the 21. IMO our priority in 2024 shoulb be for our big man to out rebound and out assist his opponets. This is what this team needs to succeed. I dont think we need a center to be the scorer, rebounding and defense is the key.

Of the 21 Big ten games Cliff decisively outplayed the other team's player 6 times. was outplayed 8 times. Of 7 remaining I would give him the edge in 2 and the edge to the other team in 4 and dead even in 1. We were 5-1 in the games he outplayed the opposing player and 2-6 when he didn't. He only out rebouded his opponent in 6 games; out scored in 8, out assisted in 2, and of couse he out blocked in 16 or the 21. IMO our priority in 2024 shoulb be for our big man to out rebound and out assist his opponets. This is what this team needs to succeed. I dont think we need a center to be the scorer, rebounding and defense is the key.
He had a down year. I bet it was better the two previous years.

That's a really basic way of looking at it. I'm not saying Cliff was great this year, but how are you basing outplayed? Did they play the same exact minutes matched up against each other the entire time? Was the other center a focal point of the teams offense while Cliff was not? Was there anyone on RU that teams needed to be sure to block out beside Cliff? Cliff led RU in +/-, which over the year gives you an idea of his impact. Our team only outrebounded the other team in conference 6 or 7 times, it wasn't just a Cliff issue.

That's a really basic way of looking at it. I'm not saying Cliff was great this year, but how are you basing outplayed? Did they play the same exact minutes matched up against each other the entire time? Was the other center a focal point of the teams offense while Cliff was not? Was there anyone on RU that teams needed to be sure to block out beside Cliff? Cliff led RU in +/-, which over the year gives you an idea of his impact. Our team only outrebounded the other team in conference 6 or 7 times, it wasn't just a Cliff issue.
+/- gives you how he impacted our team whe on the court v off the court. I never said we were better withhout him, but I do believe a number of centers outplayed him, when he is negative in every measureable stat - he was outplayed.

He’s been an underachiever. Maybe Hurley can get more out of him.
He's one if the best Defensive Big men out there. He did not underachieve. That's who he is. He excels at what he does. I would take him back but we may be better off with a guy who can shoot and rebound with the team we have coming in. I leave that up to the guys who know the game better than you do.

He's one if the best Defensive Big men out there. He did not underachieve. That's who he is. He excels at what he does. I would take him back but we may be better off with a guy who can shoot and rebound with the team we have coming in. I leave that up to the guys who know the game better than you do.
Let’s go with ‘significantly underachieved relative to expectations of basic D1 offensive talent at his position.’

I also think his defensive prowess is overstated. Most P5 5s outplayed him despite his blocks and rebounds.

All in all, whoever we bring in will very likely be a better all around player.

Reactions: socaldave
Time to move on from Cliff.What concerns me is the lack of interest from transfer portal centers toward Rutgers.There should have been some visits by now but all the comments are about guards.Its disappointing that centers aren't interested in playing with Bailey and Harper with all the media attention that will happen at Rutgers.

• Haha
Reactions: rubigtimenow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT