ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff omoRUyi

he’s a good player of course I’ll miss him …..
But I’m not going to miss him as in crying about what could have been.

I'm going to miss him because he elevates the quality of our team and I am not confident we get an adequate replacement.

A lot of you seem like the fans who thought losing Cam last year was no big deal. It's a big deal if losing a player lowers the quality of the team.

Feel like if you have to go this far into defending Cliff… he wasn’t. It’s like we are moving goal posts at this point.

I’m a simpleton I guess. You’re either the most important player or you’re not.

If I have to compare supporting cast / weather / lights / time of day… you probably are not the best / important player.
Taking the simpleton point of view here on Cliff, if he was the one player that affected the teams performance most when he was off or on the court, wouldn't that make him the most important?

Feel like if you have to go this far into defending Cliff… he wasn’t. It’s like we are moving goal posts at this point.

I’m a simpleton I guess. You’re either the most important player or you’re not.

If I have to compare supporting cast / weather / lights / time of day… you probably are not the best / important player.
FWIW I’m not specifically defending Cliff. I mean, l like Cliff but I am not knowledgeable enough about basketball to really add to that discussion. My point is more general.

Cliff staying would have significantly made this 24-25 season quite formidable against anyone. Unless he somehow decided to return ( don’t expect it) then the continuous laments should stop. Nice career and maybe he finds his Nirvana home.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Taking the simpleton point of view here on Cliff, if he was the one player that affected the teams performance most when he was off or on the court, wouldn't that make him the most important?
This year. Yes.
In the last 4-6 absolutely not.

Glad Cliff will be replaced, we already have lathan, the minutes he provides will be more valuable to the 2025 team than what Cliff would have given.
That said I am confident we will get a portal player who will leave RU with better options at the 5 vs had he stayed.
Also the keys handed over to a bunch of freshmen with higher bball IQ, and talent, than a 5th year Sr on the roster who is the antithesis of a dog, could create some chemistry issues.

I'm going to miss him because he elevates the quality of our team and I am not confident we get an adequate replacement.

A lot of you seem like the fans who thought losing Cam last year was no big deal. It's a big deal if losing a player lowers the quality of the team.
The longer we go without that “Center” piece the more it become an issue. I expect Pikiell and staff to button this up sooner than later.

The Athletic has Cliff ranked the #17 player in the transfer portal, and they said this:

Ht: 6-11 Wt: 240
As one of the most underappreciated defensive players in college basketball, Omoyuri’s name in the portal will spark a frenzy. He has been the catalyst behind Rutgers finishing fourth and sixth in the country, respectively, in KenPom’s adjusted defensive efficiency metric in each of the last two seasons. This season, he swatted 2.9 shots per game in just 27 minutes per night, and while he earned Big Ten All-Defense honors for the season straight season, he should have been among the national semifinalists for the Naismith Defensive Player of the Year award. It is exceptionally hard to finish over his 7-foot-6 wingspan. Whichever team sways him will get an immediate upgrade on that end of the court.

Omoruyi has been more hit-or-miss on offense, likely due to the way Rutgers used him. I’ve always liked him most as a rim-runner in ball screens who occasionally rolled into quick duck-ins. Omoruyi made 70 percent of his attempts as a roller this season, per Synergy. The Scarlet Knights, however, used him more as a straight post-up big, where he is merely okay. His new team would be wise to deploy him as a screener and diver, or move him to the dunker spot when he’s not involved in the primary action. That way, he can wedge his way into deep seals in the post and be in better position for offensive rebound opportunities, where his length has always been an advantage.

It’s a bit of a surprise to see Omoruyi depart, as Rutgers has a loaded recruiting class next year led by Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper. If the NBA is Omoruyi’s goal, the only program with more scouting eyes on it than Rutgers will be Duke. While Omoruyi would be a tremendous defensive anchor for a group of highly-talented freshmen to have, it looks like someone else will get him. — Sam Vecenie
National guy who knows his stuff. Nice to see

I’ve always liked him most as a rim-runner in ball screens who occasionally rolled into quick duck-ins. Omoruyi made 70 percent of his attempts as a roller this season, per Synergy. The Scarlet Knights, however, used him more as a straight post-up big, where he is merely okay. His new team would be wise to deploy him as a screener and diver, or move him to the dunker spot when he’s not involved in the primary action. That way, he can wedge his way into deep seals in the post and be in better position for offensive rebound opportunities, where his length has always been an advantage.

I love Pike, but this guy is saying the same thing I said all year and a bunch of other people. I just don't understand why he wasn't used more on the move. We had enough of a sample size to show unless he got the ball 5 feet on the low box he was inefficient posting up, but deadly receiving the ball on the move.

I’ve always liked him most as a rim-runner in ball screens who occasionally rolled into quick duck-ins. Omoruyi made 70 percent of his attempts as a roller this season, per Synergy. The Scarlet Knights, however, used him more as a straight post-up big, where he is merely okay. His new team would be wise to deploy him as a screener and diver, or move him to the dunker spot when he’s not involved in the primary action. That way, he can wedge his way into deep seals in the post and be in better position for offensive rebound opportunities, where his length has always been an advantage.

I love Pike, but this guy is saying the same thing I said all year and a bunch of other people. I just don't understand why he wasn't used more on the move. We had enough of a sample size to show unless he got the ball 5 feet on the low box he was inefficient posting up, but deadly receiving the ball on the move.
There was absolutely nothing that Pike or the rest of the coaching staff could do about the fact that Cliff simply cannot shoot

Reactions: rubigtimenow
The longer we go without that “Center” piece the more it become an issue. I expect Pikiell and staff to button this up sooner than later.
Agree. We really can’t assess the importance of losing Cliff until we know who his replacement is.

If with a tomato can, sure we will miss him. If with someone with talent on both ends, we won’t.

Depends on how all the parts fit together. They may not need that this year for the 5 because Dylan will be doing a lot of the elevating. That said the athleticism and shot blocking will definitely be a notch lower and it's hopefully replaced by someone that has a bigger offensive skill set.

Glad Cliff will be replaced, we already have lathan, the minutes he provides will be more valuable to the 2025 team than what Cliff would have given.

Duck Dynasty Laugh GIF by DefyTV

Reactions: mikeylew1992
Depends on how all the parts fit together. They may not need that this year for the 5 because Dylan will be doing a lot of the elevating. That said the athleticism and shot blocking will definitely be a notch lower and it's hopefully replaced by someone that has a bigger offensive skill set.
I doubt we will be better off overall with Cliff's replacement. Hopefully we get someone who proves me wrong

I doubt we will be better off overall with Cliff's replacement. Hopefully we get someone who proves me wrong
We already know that because they can't afford someone better. They can't even afford what Cliff is being offered.

However, they don't need to be better overall at the position with the starter. They need someone that is a complementary piece for Dylan, Ace and the others.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
We already know that because they can't afford someone better. They can't even afford what Cliff is being offered.

However, they don't need to be better overall at the position with the starter. They need someone that is a complementary piece for Dylan, Ace and the others.
Many on these boards are acting like Cliff isn't a big loss and we are better off without him.

Oh, they can afford his 8 ppg in P5 games. They probably can’t afford replacing his highlight blocks and dunks, but so what.

Oh, they can afford his 8 ppg in P5 games. They probably can’t afford replacing his highlight blocks and dunks, but so what.
I guess you should call UNC and advise them of this. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Most coaches recognize that his production suffered from crap guard play but don't let that stop you from telling us you know very little.

He's gone , move on-- the constant regret or analyzing Cliff is a waste--thank god Pike and the coaching staff ignore that distraction and instead are doing their jobs evaluating and getting players.

He's gone , move on-- the constant regret or analyzing Cliff is a waste--thank god Pike and the coaching staff ignore that distraction and instead are doing their jobs evaluating and getting players.
Yeah, Thank God our coaches aren't distracted by our posts and are somehow able to continue doing there jobs.

Most coaches recognize that his production suffered from crap guard play but don't let that stop you from telling us you know very little.
This is exactly it. Thank you for pointing it out by trying to make another point.

Cliff is only as good as the people around him.

He doesn’t make people better. Like other posters pointed out… that he was the most important player for Rutgers last 4 years.
Cliff is what he is. Put him around 2/3 guys who are really good. He will do well. But he won’t make anyone better around him better. Sorry. That’s the truth.

Reactions: zebnatto

is this why he never once in 4 years had the vision to pass to open perimeter shooter ? not once. or shot so hard off the backboard that the shot clock shook ? Or kicked good passes out of bounds ? Guard play LOL.

If Cliff gets a king's ransom it will be because that school has so much NIL they don't care about where the decimal point is.

All things considered, we can get the same overall production and far better offense for much less NIL than Cliff will cost a different program.

is this why he never once in 4 years had the vision to pass to open perimeter shooter ? not once. or shot so hard off the backboard that the shot clock shook ? Or kicked good passes out of bounds ? Guard play LOL.

If Cliff gets a king's ransom it will be because that school has so much NIL they don't care about where the decimal point is.

All things considered, we can get the same overall production and far better offense for much less NIL than Cliff will cost a different program.
So true it’s amazing how guys claiming to know it all are blind to this obvious point
who ever Cliff signs with he will not be the reason the make the tournament or do well in the tournament.
85% dunkers and centers who block shots of guards back to the guards for 2nd opportunities don’t win meaningful competitive games.
Cliff is a very poor man’s Mutombo. How many championships did he win?

The year before last when they had the semblance of an offense he averaged almost an assist a game (0.9).

Now tell us, who was hitting these shots this past year when he passed out?

Absolutely nobody, because our were some of the worst shooters in CBB. So can’t blame the guy for shooting more often this year when brick after brick were being thrown up there from outside the paint.

Thinking of changing my handle to cifffanforlife. Before it’s taken

Maybe because Pike couldn’t get him to move and Cliff couldn’t comprehend or had the dog in him to do it.

So true it’s amazing how guys claiming to know it all are blind to this obvious point
who ever Cliff signs with he will not be the reason the make the tournament or do well in the tournament.
85% dunkers and centers who block shots of guards back to the guards for 2nd opportunities don’t win meaningful competitive games.
Cliff is a very poor man’s Mutombo. How many championships did he win?
You guys are lost on this one. Name a center that won a title by himself, or even with just mediocre talent around him? Hell, there are only like 11 that have ever won three and that list includes such luminaries as Will Perdue, Javelle McGhee, Luc Longley, Bill Cartwright, James Edwards, and Clyde Lovellette. Think we can agree they didn't lead their teams. Bill Russell? History says he had some damn good talent around him, Cousy, Heihnson, ect. Kareem - usually had some talent around him. Shaq and Robert Parish are the others. Shaq beat Mutumbo, but had a guy named Kobe as a sidekick.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
You guys are lost on this one. Name a center that won a title by himself, or even with just mediocre talent around him? Hell, there are only like 11 that have ever won three and that list includes such luminaries as Will Perdue, Javelle McGhee, Luc Longley, Bill Cartwright, James Edwards, and Clyde Lovellette. Think we can agree they didn't lead their teams. Bill Russell? History says he had some damn good talent around him, Cousy, Heihnson, ect. Kareem - usually had some talent around him. Shaq and Robert Parish are the others. Shaq beat Mutumbo, but had a guy named Kobe as a sidekick.
All the guys you named were more than rim protecting, 15% miss dunkers
You made my point thanks.
Cliff isn’t leading anyone anywhere.
Shack not only beat the dude he destroyed him.
Just like any above average 5 does to the poor man’s Mutombo.
I would take the college version of Will Purdue all day long over
The low IQ Cliff.
Looking forward to watching him get beat by other teams 5’s next year.

The low IQ Cliff.
The point is centers don't lead teams to titles, stop acting like Cliff should have.

You would have chased Perdue away before he ever came good, who are you kidding. He was a junior in college before he ever played more than 8 minutes a game and averaged about 3 points and 2.5 rebounds those first two years. You would have been begging for him to be replaced. Also, after 4 years Cliff has the same amount of points, 225 more rebounds, 60 more blocks and twice as many steals as Perdue did.

The low IQ Cliff.
It's a guard dominated game nowadays. Very few centers are dominate period today.

The only low IQ folks are the Cliff bashers because the guy is going to make more in one year than you guys make in multiple years.

Reactions: RAHWAYBOB
The point is centers don't lead teams to titles, stop acting like Cliff should have.

You would have chased Perdue away before he ever came good, who are you kidding. He was a junior in college before he ever played more than 8 minutes a game and averaged about 3 points and 2.5 rebounds those first two years. You would have been begging for him to be replaced. Also, after 4 years Cliff has the same amount of points, 225 more rebounds, 60 more blocks and twice as many steals as Perdue did.
You don’t know what my measurables are
Cliff is a terrible basketball player,
He has no heart, doesn’t make good decisions is maddening to watch and not what I want to see as a fan.
I will take a center who facilitates winning and knows important games and stretches shows up consistently.
All you talk about our stats most of which in this case are meaningless.
I watch the games and look at the scoreboard.
I don’t need stats I can see the champions. They are the ones on the team with the highest score at the end of the game

• Haha
It's a guard dominated game nowadays. Very few centers are dominate period today.

The only low IQ folks are the Cliff bashers because the guy is going to make more in one year than you guys make in multiple years.
We will see, and you make a lot of assumptions. You don’t know what I make.
Rather than make an assumption what are you qualifications as to grading others knowledge of the game.
Because I haven’t been impressed by your opinions so far.

• Haha
Here is one last thing for my advanced stats guys.
Went here https://evanmiya.com/
Went to player stats Went to big ten
Selected 4/5 for position.
Then selected “Bayesian Performance Rating which is the sum of a player's OBPR and DBPR. This rating is the ultimate measure of a player's overall value to his team when he is on the floor.

It identified 45 them in the big ten.
Cliff was ranked 23rd among those players. So 22 bigs alone in big10 were more valuable than Cliff to their team. Thats big ten only!!! Zed key,
Mast, whare, opkara, were some that advanced stats identified as more valuable than Cliff to their team.
I’ll leave it at that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT